Is it just nostalgia or this was actually good?

Is it just nostalgia or this was actually good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d0vSaGysFak
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It was actually damn good, although there were weak points.

Actually good

Pretty damn good, but like said, it definitely had some weaker episodes, though they were more "okay-ish" rather than outright terrible.

The hour-long format hurt it a lot, I think.

The writers weren't used to it, and it showed in the padding.

Still good, but one of the weaker DCAU shows.

At its worst it just felt like a bland kids action show (although that would be welcome right now, since there are virtually no action shows on the air)

Underrated if anything. Everyone was paying attention to Teen Titans and utterly missed this gem of a show. Season 1 might have been a bit awkward, but Season 2 was practically all winners.

It was very good. Not perfect, but the slow burn of character growth for all the founding members was magnificent, and many of the stories were iconic and well told. 9/10 would grow up to again.

Which sucks because even was like a 13 year old, I knew TT was ass compared to this GOAT cartoon.

1st season is weak, but 2nd recovers and sets up a lot of stuff for Justice League Unlimited, which was excellent.

My only beef with Unlimited is how quickly Superman became an asshole out of nowhere. His fight with Captain Marvel highlighted the issue the most.

is 2nd season the one where it ends with bird woman (forgot her name)'s egypt ancient society being brought up?

Great-tier, however the following suffered:

>Superman, MM, and Flash were nerfed
>Batman became Bat-God.
>John was a fine GL, makes me wish that Kyle or Hal could have been featured instead of small cameos.
>Other villains besides Lex, Brainiac, and Darksied were nerfed throughout JL and JLU

JL is just decent enought since there are as many terrible episodes as greats ones

JLU is mostly great

QUICK Top 3 your favorite arcs
1. OldSuperman Kal
2. Ayylien Birdemic
3. That fucking amazing booster gold episode

Hal wasn't around in this continuity. First Earth-based GL was Kyle, and then John after him.

You're right. I'm thinking of the JLU episode where time travel shit occurs and Hal replaces John for a quick second.

>MFW they had a few JSA'ers but not enough
you forgot
>everything the Question was in was gold

I respectfully disagree. That had been building up and foreshadowed for a while season. It's also an excellent example of Superman NOT being the "boring boyscout" normies meme him as. They even lampshade it/call it out in the episode.

DCAU Clark is a marvelous blend of what makes Superman good and what makes Superman interesting. And they didn't have to do too many "whoops he's evil" plots along the way to accomplish that. This episode also features Lex at his best, and the kind of manipulation that BvS, for example, was sorely lacking.

I think this is actually one of the more interesting parts of the DCAU, and in order to get why Superman acted like an asshole in JLU, and Clash in particular, you have to watch STAS as well.
Superman's reputation was dragged through the mud from Darkseid's invasion, and he had to work incredibly hard to get it back. It made him completely distrustful of Darkseid during the JL arc with him and Braniac, and he was legitimately willing to kill the motherfucker by the end of the arc.
The Cadmus arc was the next big blow to his sense of trust, as it turned out his own government was plotting against him and the rest of the league. And to top it all off, Lex fucking Luthor is making a run at the presidency, and he's got a pretty good shot at it. Supes has pretty much every right to be on edge at this point.
Now, enter Captain Marvel, a guy is cut from the same exact cloth as Superman is, but without the jadedness that comes from years of experience. And because of that, he's incredibly popular with the public, and when he says something positive about Luthor's run for the presidency, Superman takes it pretty personally. Of course, Cap doesn't know any better and is just being the great fucking person that he is, but Superman doesn't exactly realize it. When it comes to the fight, Superman is to blame and he himself admits that, and gets his ass handed to him verbally by the Big Red Cheese himself.

Honestly, I think the biggest mistake JLU made was not having an episode where Marvel and Superman team up so they can get past their differences.

Season 1 barely picked up until near the end
Season 2 was great
Unlimited was fantastic until season 3
Season 3 was just.... very fun?

Damn I loved Justice League either way. Too bad they couldn't explore more of the characters and relationships.

can any of the avengers cartoons compete against this?

i wish George Newburn voiced Superman more these days. speaking of which, i remember Super being pretty weak during the first season. it was only until Savage Times i was reminded that he is immune to bullets

also they removed his cheekbones since season 2. that was cool

I mean, it did make him look noticeably older than the rest of the league.

Legends
"In Seaboard city, crime doesn't pay."
The one with Hawk Girl and Grundy
Hawk Invasion

Nerfed? You're kidding right? Flash in literally the one who stopped Lex-Brainaic. And Supes would have beat the shit out of Darkseid more if he didn't cheat

The Hawkman stuff in JLU season 3 was so boooooring

Avengers: EMH came close as good as Justice League but Justice League is still better.

in my opinion

I'm not kidding. JL nerfed Flash and Supes until JLU. Even then, their power levels fluctuated a lot.

JL > JLA, but that Moore episode, goddamn.

Too bad EMH was butchered after the Skrull arc. It could have been the Marvel equivalent.

I literally just started rewatching it because I asked myself the same question.
About to finish S1 and holy shit, it was actually good

I'm going to give my 10 overall JL/JLU moments.

In no particular order.
Supes and Savage broing up in the future.
Flash taking down Brainthor
Bats & LordBats
Lex saving the world from Darkseid
Lex saving the world from Amazo
Manhunter becoming and old chinese guy with an old chinese waifu
"Gentlemen, it's been an honour"
The whole arc in the universe of the corny comic
Everything Question
"MINE ARE BIGGER THAN YOURS"

>Kids' WB logo
Wait...when did this ever happen?? I'm certain this was on Cartoon Network around the time this began airing. Unless my memory's fucking with me all-over again...

But yeah, t'was pretty much hit-and-miss for me, but I'd have to say it's pretty up there with the later eps from S1, all of S2 and JLU.

WB aired it a few times after CN stopped reruns.

Good list, but I'd remove Lex saving the world from Amazo and replacing it with
>"Son...I don't think you're real"

Fuck Doctor Doom was perfect in this show

That was a good scene, I'm just not that much of a supesfag and generally don't like sad moments that much.

If I put another supesmoment it'd be when he goes all out against Darkseid.

they nerfed a lot of characters also it's probably the one that started the "Batman defeats everything with enough prep-time" meme with trying to balance everyone.

Nah, that was Mark Waid's Tower of Babel which predates the cartoon.

>its a heroes are turned into kids episode

> probably the one that started the "Batman defeats everything with enough prep-time" meme with trying to balance everyone.
>being this new

>no Tower of Babel story arc

It was good. Batman was a little underpowered though.

>best episode

I think that was the point where Disney came up to the makers and said to them that they are getting canceled.

>Supes nerfed

Didn't they basically just explained in the last fight against Darkseid that Supes was holding back?

"The Terror Beyond" was pretty great if you want Hawkgirl/Grundy feels. "Wake The Dead" for even more.

>TFW I can finally let loose.

>grundy gets his reward only for some DnD nerd lords to bring him back

>Has to be beaten to death with an anti-magic mace.
>GL even mentions "Old Yeller".

For what reason other than feels?

It's just nostalgia.

JLU, on the other hand, was pretty good and a vast improvement.

why didnt amazo just instantly kill darkseid in the final episode? its like the writers forgot he existed after the grundy return episode

It's a good show, and brought together the best non-comic universe version of DC that we'll probably ever get at this point.

But as can be seen in this thread, the fans will often defend ANY criticism like it's personal.

Superman's 'death' at the hands of Toyman. "Hereafter". Vandal Savage was good.

Where in this thread? The most is people pointing out their interpretations of character interactions. No mudslinging, incredulity at most.

Not so gr8 b8 m8. I r8 8/88

They explain in one of the first episodes that Supes pulls his punches in pretty much every fight he's ever been in. He also almost always lets his enemy get one good hit on him so he can accurately gauge their power. This strategy has come back to bite him dozens of times, but it's one of the ways he's able to keep himself in check.

What were a few of the best episodes?

Did you mistakenly think that this thread was like 100 posts longer than it is?

Marathoned it a month ago can confirm legit good

They use that as an excuse as to why he's so weak.

I mean, think of all the times Superman was beaten up throughout the series in a life and death scenario, you think he was just pretending?

>The greatest story never told
OHHH SHIT YO that shit was my jam

Love that one
It had staic and Shwayman
As well as batman in stereo

"You wanna come over to my house!"

Tried watching it recently. Barely made it through the first arc. The second arc with Manhunters was trash

Gave up after that

The Christmas episode
youtube.com/watch?v=d0vSaGysFak

I just got into it recently (finished the original JL, still going through JLU season 3)

Season 1 of Justice League is definitely pretty boring. I barely remember most of it. Season 2 is so much better imo

I pretty much agree with this

I do think that the reason for this though is that
Season 1 was basically all setup for Season 2, and Season 2 is the payoff. Season 3 just feels like a bonus thing.

And yeah it does comes off as "fun" compared to how serious Season 2 is. Grodd's master plan being just to transform everyone into Gorillas, or the whole Flash-Luthor mindswap episode pretty much show that.

Season 2 was supposed to be the LAST season. I remember when it was coming out. They thought Season 2 was it, not just for JLU but for the entire DCAU. That's why "Epilogue" is the last episode of that season.

Then Cartoon Network sprung a surprise third season on them, so they had to cobble some story ideas together. That's why things feel a little slipshod and half-assed.

the GOAT

If we're going by nerfs then Flash would be saving the day every single time. No more crime anywhere at all in the entire world. He can literally run at attoseconds in some versions of him. Superman can move entire planets, we have literal time warping gods inside the Justice League in versions of the comics.

Nerfs are needed, and you shouldn't be crying about it because every hero saved the day multiple times throughout the show showcasing their individual strength and smarts. Even fucking Goldy got an episode centering him.

To be honest, I think the characters of Teen Titans are more entertaining and easier to latch onto, especially for preteen kids. That with the lighter tone and comedy meant it was easier for people to get into than Justice League.

Granted, I think Justice League definitely had the better storytelling and writing post-Season 1, but I can definitely see why a lot of people were more into Teen Titans at the time.

The DCAU and JL/JLU in particular is the standard by which all other cape-related media should be judged.

I won't lie, I think S1 is pretty ass overall. Everybody's constantly jobbing, especially Martian Manhunter. It's like he could go more than two episodes without trying to use his telepathy only to go "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" There's some good stuff in that season, like Legends, the Injustice League, and the WW2 episodes.

Season 2 on the other hand is pretty top-notch overall. Animation improved, characters weren't jobbing in every fight, and most of the arcs were great.

Then Unlimited came out, and that basically gave us the last time we'll probably see most of those characters in an animated series.

So, yeah, it's a good series overall.

pretty fantastic, but the voice acting really sucked ass sometimes, plus the whole thing seems really weak, if you get what I mean.
They've been playing episodes of Unlimited on tv and i've gotten to see my favourite parts again and honestly it wasnt as good as I remember (especially that episode about Supermans parade with Vigilante and Stargirl)

anything with question