What went wrong?

what went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

scifiscripts.com/scripts/wtchmn.txt
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nothing.

>inb4 it somehow missed the point of the comic

Nothing. It's a very good movie adaptation but people will bitch about it anyways because they have absolutely no idea how the film industry works.

The fact that this even got made, and it still retained an incredible amount of fidelity to the source material, is amazing.

Bad acting and director.

explain how it wasnt

>what went wrong?

Timing.

The movie itself is fine, but it would have been better received after audiences had experienced hero fatigue like comic fans had when Watchmen originally came out.

It does miss the point of the comic.

Moore tried to show that superheroes are just freaks. They all had mental problems and the only one that didn't wasn't even human anymore. In the movies they tried to paint Owlman and Silk Spectre as like the everyman and the moral center. That whole scene in the jail makes them look almost superhuman but they aren't supposed to be even peak human.

Ironically it'd be a great comment on Man of Steel if it came out after

I got exactly the same impression from every single character from reading the comic and watching the movie.
You're just parroting shit people say on Sup Forums.

No squid.

It was made too early. Its funny how we're going to have a big debate over whether the squid monster would've worked or not, when we now have a movie where a bunch of costumed characters fight aliens and robots. It tried to apply the comic's commentary to then-modern superhero movies, but comic movies of the time barely scratched the surface of what watchmen built off of. It'd make so much more sense to do Watchmen now.

Snyder pls go.

It can be judge just fine on its own merits. Its just a mediocre movie.

>Superheroes are just freaks
And they are in the film, No?

>Jail scene
I don't think that scene make them anything like peak human though just a 'try hard' cool scene. Also, Owl and Silk do have a mental issue especially the latter.

Because they are the most human of them all. That's the whole point of Owlman. And we clearly saw that the defeated a gang just by hand-to-hand combat.

You may be right in the fact that we didn't saw the "problems" that the couple had. More than being freak, those are normal people.

1. Zack Snyder

2. Malin Ã…kerman

3. Alan Moore cast a spell on the movie

>Zack Snyder
>bad
Disney social engineer pls.

Owlman was a man child and only did it for living a fantasy. He was like one of those Cape fags like Phoenix Jones.
Silk spectre didn't ever want to be a superhero. She was just living her mother's fantasy, and was devoid of any choice.
The comics theme was that putting on capes is not normal.

Nothing. It was exactly what it needed to be. Unfortunately, what it needed to be made for a really depressing movie.

I read that scene as actually showing their mental illness, when juxtaposed with the sex scene. Between those two scenes, it was very apparent that these were people with issues.

You what?

It was the best film adaptation that Watchmen could ever possibly get. What went wrong is Snyder's career afterward.

you were born

what a hack

>It was the best film adaptation that Watchmen could ever possibly get
Watchmen shouldn't have been adapted in the first place.

What went wrong was two simple things.
The first was that regular people had superhuman abilities.
Like Niteowl and Silk Spectre. The fucking punched peoples legs into bits. What the fuck, Snyder?
The whole point of Watchmen is that everyone is just a man in a mask (for you) until Dr. Manhattan.
It should have been a lot more grounded.

The second was Ozy. In the comics he was peak human. Smartest, strongest, fastest. He was the best humanity could offer. And he was nothing compared to Dr. Manhattan.

But movie Ozy was a little bitch. You couldn't believe that he wasn't the best.

That said, it was very good overall. The Dr. Manhattan scenes, especially the non-linear scene on Mars was 10/10.

Raw Shark was perfectly cast too.

would've been better as a mini series

It should be.
In like 5 years.
When we're all saturated with capeshit.
Then we need a deconstruction.
Just like how Scary Movie was what we needed after so many years of serious horror movies.
Deconstructions are very useful after saturation.

No, it would have been better as a comic book and only a comic book.

If someone hasn't read the graphic novel, the movie is actually fine. I loved the soundtrack and the aesthetic looks perfect. Watchmen is not a movie that can be faithfully adapted into a 2.5 hour movie as seen in the ultimate cut, by including Under the Hood documentary and Tales of the Black Freighter it's like 3.5 hours long. First Night Owls book chapters and Black Freighter meta comic works in the graphic novel, not in a feature length movie.

- The main actress is not a great actor. And the movie restricted itself from casting a good actress because of the sex scenes

- Zack Snyder and or the writer made it more violent and explicit than the graphic novel
>dogs chewing on bones wasn't just a bone but was clearly the legs of a child
>Rorschach doesn't burn the guy alive in his house, but hacks him with a knife
>Alley fight was more brutal for the sake of it with more than 6 thugs

- Ozy was not miscast, but he should've been portrayed like an innocent concerned guy in the first act scenes. But from the get-go he is charismatic and calculating

- Rorschach's batman voice makes a lot of his dialogue intangible

- The source material is too intelligent for the average Joe. I don't think most normies would get the Pagliacci joke, and Watchmen is intended to be a deconstruction of superheroes

- I'm fine there wasn't the monster squid, but at least have Ozy looking regret at the end when he asks the war has ended. And Dr M says, it never ends

- Watchmen would have done better if released today after Deadpool

did you forget that Owlman does have erectile dysfunction as well in the movie?

>Ozy was not miscast
Absolutely he was.
Ozy's whole point was that he was everything that was man.
He was supposed to be Arnold and Einstein in one man.
The absolute top.

Having him skinny defeated the purpose.

kek. It always funny to see naive people like you. It's almost like Hollywood wants to make money by adapting thousands of shit instead of creating something original themselves.

It only works as a comic book though. The Night Owl I\II excerpts, Black Freighter etc. can only be done in a comic, and all the good paneling/layouts are gone completely.

That's exactly what I'm saying though. In an ideal world, Watchmen wouldn't be adapted and Hollywood would make original films. But it is not to be, sadly.

why do people keep saying this? There are more ways to adapt something than being a slave to the source material. Even as a 1:1 adaptation, watchmen fails miserably.

Honestly would've preferred something akin to Naked Lunch in terms of adaptation, that's the only way to really properly adapt watchmen. Or focus on a smaller plot point of the series like the minute men. Adapting the whole story is both boring and pointless, not to mention futile in film format.

No it wouldn't at all, TDK on the other hand

>MCU-dominated time

Would have actually felt more appropriate if it was released now instead of back then when the superhero hype wasn't that big.

It's the best and most faithful comic adaptation and fixed something you know audiences would've hated. And it worked.

To be fair, I actually thought Snyder did an OK job on Watchmen, visually and aesthetically nigger was on point, and since he basically just straight adapted from the book all his greatest weaknesses as a director are glossed over.
However, like most people have said, he never 'got' the point, and its less of a deconstruction of the genre and more of a normal action movie. And to be honest I can see a lot of that being the studios fault as well. Gotta play it safe.

It wasn't a faithful adaptation, but still I don't see anything wrong with the film on its own. It was a good cape film with anti heroes, sex, violence and a good heroes coming back from retirement story. It was aesthetically great, with a great soundtrack. How is it different from the usual shit that Disney, Wb and Fox feeds us?

it did come out after TDK

stop calling "owl man" at Nite Owl

hes owlman tho

nothing, i love this movie

Owlman is a freak and a manchild, he's actually the creepiest of them all.

>Zack Snyder
Watchmen is not bad though. Surprisingly, he did a good job for this one.

They waited too long to release the Ultra Edition that added even more feature including the Animated movie parts

in my top ten comic books movies. heck, top five

Snyder completely butches Rorschach's character. Even most right wingers are supposed to think he's pathetic but people come out of the movie thinking he's a super badass

>Rorschach
Only a retard and manchild think he's badass.

He's a badass

Nothing particularly, it was a decent adaptation even though there were some problems (Silk Spectre 1's actress was awful, the need to pump up the violence, letting Dan see Rorschach die).

The main issue was that it was just OK and the expectation seemed to be that because the source material was so highly praised that any film made that hewed close to that source material would be equally praised when there's no reason to believe that. What works in one medium doesn't necessarily work in another.

Kek what the fuck is happening in that webm

no he isnt

Asians doing Asian things.
They're literally like animals over there.
No sense of consequences

Itr tried to make them cool while the whole point of the comic was that they weren't

Nothing. It's the best adaptation we could have got.

Have you READ the old scripts?

They have Dan killing Adrian to avenge Rorschach.

This. Watchmen was a great adaptation, and when I hear people bitch about it, I know that they've never seen a movie-musical. I mean, look at Little Shop of Horrors. Look at Into the Woods. Even the best attempt at adapting a stage musical will change too much shit. These capefags are complaining that the movie is different in a way that's only noticeable if you've read the comic more than three times.

You know, it's funny. For me it all blurs together. I find the movie and the comic compliment each other.

This is a dumb question, but are the watchmen part of marvel or DC?

Sauce on that image?

I haven't read the old scripts. Where are they? Maybe someone could storytime them.

They tried to make a movie about a comic that was about comics themselves, therefore it's just a pointless film.
A lot of people think that Watchmen was just about the plot, which was nothing but a mcguffin to allow Moore to speak about what he thinks about superhero comics, and comics as a medium in general. It's the same kind of people that think it was "adult" just because it had sex and violence.

DC, literally.
But you can see it as both.
It's a deconstruction of all Capeshit.

It's about "What if a literal god becomes part of a human universe?"
Moore chose first Captain Atom and then Superman (both DC characters), but then made his own character (Dr. Manhattan).

There's a lot of direct DC equivalents like Rorschach being the Question or Niteowl being Blue Beetle, but overall, I think it covers both of the Big Two.

Moore is grand like that

They're not "part of" the main setting, but they belong to DC. It was originally going to use existing DC characters, but they were eventually changed to "original character do not steal" versions.

>the movie is different in a way that's only noticeable if you've read the comic more than three times
What about the squid?

Also that super hero comics are a distraction from the real problems of the world.

That difference is trivial unless you're a huge fucking autist. I mean, I'm an autist myself, but the point is that Ozymandias is forcing an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" sort of thing. Regardless of who the "enemy of my enemy" is in the literal script, the conclusion is the same. I probably wouldn't have even noticed anything changes if not for his weird lynx thing, which reminded me that that story element that Dr. Manhattan occupies was originally some weird mutant thing.

What about the point the squid was making though?
And Dr. Manhattan doing it makes no sense either.

One of my only problems with it is Ozymandias. I remember this being brought up back when the movie first came out. It was way too obvious that he was the villain right from the beginning. The unneeded German accent didn't help either.

this picture makes me so hard

the look in their eyes, you just KNOW they banged

Adrian Veidt is known to be THE most hung guy in New York, possibly one of the biggest in the world. his cock has been described as "like an nuclear warhead", with gargantual thickness that would rival even Alexander the Great. im estimating his size to be at least 8.5" bone pressed, with OVER 7" of girth. he would have absolutely destroyed Edward Blake's anus.

they would have spent hours and hours on foreplay, getting lubed enough just so he can take it. i can just imagine him begging for it, with Adrian barely able to force it past the sphincter, and Blake moaning and squirming, demanding him to force it in deeper. he would have orgasm'd within seconds of taking the entire length, being filled and stretched right up to his rectum. the orgasm would have been powerful, with his anal muscles clamping down on Veidt's throbbing monstrosity, his whole body quivering in euphoria..

i bet he still masturbates to the memory of it

Here's Sam Hamm's script:
scifiscripts.com/scripts/wtchmn.txt

I've seen two versions of the david hayter script:

One has Nite Owl kill Ozymandias with an owlarang to the chest.
The other, I shit you not, he kills Ozy by dropping his owlship on top of him.

The squid is not gonna work at the time but it work now, the movie just come too soon.

Would have made a great HBO miniseries. Being cramed into a movie hurt it.

samurai flamenco
godlike show, go watch it immediately

Nothing. It was actually somewhat better than Moore's version

Come on, Space Squid? Seriously?

Not sure what the problem is really. It fits with the genetic engineering Ozymandias had been practicing for years, what he already showed he could do with Bubastis.
Did you only watch the movie and look up what happens in the comic book and say "man, that's just silly!" when viewing it out of context?

>moorefags still refuse to admit he dropped the ball, and rushed the ending

Moore is a freak. And anything that grinds his gears is A-OK in my book

I loved LXG too

Being one of the most, if not the most, polarizing cape movies of all time.

Snyder, like all the movies he touches.

>this was Jackie Earle Haley

holy shit

>>dogs chewing on bones wasn't just a bone but was clearly the legs of a child

Either way a child was still dead

>>Rorschach doesn't burn the guy alive in his house, but hacks him with a knife

Same results, more or less.

>And they are in the film, No?
No they're super badasses that can punch through walls.

>Same results, more or less.
No one is gratuitous violence and other is symbolic of Rorschach leaving his old morals behind.

The women are hot though

>an nuclear warhead

Sometimes I feel like he wrote the comic just for the "I activated it 45 minutes ago" scene

Either way the man is still dead

both were gratuitous violence

Zack Snyder

>Zack Snyder
>Not bad
Fuck off DCfag

Snyder is terrible when telling his own original stories. Also he doesn't get or like the concept of Superman or superheroes in general, really. But when slavishly adapting existing works, he's actually pretty good.

One adds pathos, you know, what you ass cunts keeps pretending is in his Superman movies.

He's never done so. He adds his dumb bullshit in all his work.

>What about the point the squid was making though?
What point? The point that humanity will unite in the face of an external threat? As I just said, we ended up getting that, but with Dr. Manhattan instead of a squid. Literally the only flaw with the ending is that Dr. Manhattan was American. Logically, it should've been considered an act of aggression on the part of America.

..Are you retarded? What the fuck does it being [THE CURRENT YEAR] have to do with the squid's role in the story?

There were actually reports about that happening last year.

>Come on, Space Squid? Seriously?
Come on, a man who can see his own future, but still acts surprised when it happens? SERIOUSLY? I fucking hate it when people act like certain fantastical elements are somehow more fantastical than other fantastical elements.