JSA Storytime: Captain Atom

Good evening owls of Sup Forums,

It's Invasion time!

Other urls found in this thread:

womenwriteaboutcomics.com/2016/05/10/61354/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pour one out for Darwyn Cooke; I'd love to see a floppy collecting all those covers he did last year, proceeds to charity.

Bareback, again?

I'm so fucking heartbroken about Cooke. I never even met the guy but his work meant the world to me.

awwwww yes

I would read so many comics involving Waller trolling Eiling

I feel for his family, and the loss of the art he wanted to make, because he felt typecast as a retro guy and he had skills far beyond that

>Waller's popping the popcorn

hey Dave, look who's being roped into things

His Selina redesign has become so iconic

I haven't really been keeping up with this over the past week or so but today, this morning, I went and tracked through what I'd missed.

Before reading any of this I knew little and cares less about Captain Atom and I have to say I'm so, so impressed. This comic is so good. There's such a layered approach to it, you can read so much of what is happening from multiple angles. And the whole thing works as a broader political statement. It very casually gives distinctive personalities and histories to even minor background characters, which is something I love in any fiction. It's totally fascinating to me that this started around the same time as Watchmen was running with its Dr. Manhattan, and I actually hugely prefer this comic's take on the 'what is human' point with a character very strongly implied to have similar powers.

Also, OTP is definitely Plastique. The interactions of Captain Atom and Plastique are great and you really see how they view the other and define themselves differently with and without their human identities, their powers.

This is why I come to these threads. I would never have read this if not for them, and this comic has really been a great and pleasant surprise.

It's a complete bummer that there was a New 52 Captain Atom series and it seems (from what I looked at last night, the #0 and a few other issues) to ditch everything I like about this and just go full Manhattan.

Feels weird to think he'll be remembered for what he was typecast into. If not for his exclusive I imagine he would have struck out at another label.

>Pour one out for Darwyn Cooke; I'd love to see a floppy collecting all those covers he did last year, proceeds to charity.
His Graphic Ink artbook has nice two page spreads of all those covers!

It's so clean and it's sexy without being boobsocks; you can see the animator's bones in it but I like his still art quite a bit more than Timm's

I wonder how much if any of his Image book he got drawn?

I also had not heard the "threw a beer in Axel Alonso's face" story

>I feel for his family, and the loss of the art he wanted to make, because he felt typecast as a retro guy and he had skills far beyond that
Those all bum me out too

This has to be so difficult for his family, and it's a shame there's so many things he could have worked on and now he'll never get to

I do recall that he was upset about being typecast as the "retro" guy, I would have loved to see him on more things that would break that mold

Yeah, if you make a definite you lose a lot of nuance that this displays. So many lies or questionable truths in this and they're constantly being evaluated. You could probably pinion this whole run with some Henry Kissinger soundbite.

5. Don’t expect Darwyn Cooke to be getting work at Marvel any time soon. He threw a pint of beer over Axel at a comics convention, in the belief that Axel had announced a line of comics identical to the one Darwyn and friends had presented a full pitch for months previously. At the time one Marvel wag told me it was the first DC exclusive he’d seen signed in beer.

Hello Storyteller.

>Invasion.
Oh. Okay then.

>Pour one out for Darwyn Cooke
In the words of Mrs. Cooke, fuck cancer.

I think it feels worse than some of the other deaths for me because he was a guy whose work I was still looking forward to in solicits and shit.

>legs wrapped around a silver naked man, riding him like a horse

GAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY

Oh does it? Okay, that's a buy for sure. I was thinking along the lines of how Marvel said they were doing a floppy of the hip-hop covers, you know?

It's that it ditches the Man Out of Time stuff, and how he gets into the experiment is totally different, and it also seems to ditch the "can turn the shell off". I keep thinking about that aspect in parallel to Ultra Boy stories.

Can you imagine what Cooke's Marvel Adventures would have looked like?

If that's gay then I don't want to be straight.

>Oh does it? Okay, that's a buy for sure. I was thinking along the lines of how Marvel said they were doing a floppy of the hip-hop covers, you know?
It would be really nice if they put out a floppy with his variants, but in lieu of that the artbook is very well done (and has huge page trim, it's got bigger dimensions than an omni)

BTW, kind user of gifts, I finally listened to the arias CD you sent me because the material I wanted it for is material I could not emotionally cope with until now, and had a good cry with it--thanks again.

Speaking of Steve, Darkseid War kinda went off the rails with making him into Grail's ultimate trump card. Seriously, what?

is any superhero made for ass shots quite like the good Captain?

I am 100% not caught up on that

last I read, Fucking Kanto was drinking someone's wine

Darkseid War went completely off the rails

It's disappointing, I'd been pretty hype at the beginning but it hasn't held together well at all

it was all worth it for the GL one shot though

How many issues of that are left anyway?

I know #52 is completely unrelated to that and probably more related to Titans than JL.

Oh man, you are behiiiiiiiiind
It's not worth catching up IMO

Darkseid War turned out to be a year of disappointment given the premise.

I think one of the reasons I find this comic so appealing is because it deals with fractured identities with a lot of its characters. There are a lot of fracture points for Nate's character. Any superhero with a secret identity has that conflict but Nate's in particular is so complex and convoluted and yet it really works in this.

I think 50 is the end

I think that's about where I left off too. It feels like Darkseid War has been going on forever...

Honestly I can't even remember what's happened since everybody became gods and the oneshots

It probably reads better all together given out decompressed it is but meh

Yep, 51 is a Jurgens fill-in, 52 is an Abnett.

this is fucking great

I know! I just have felt no impetus, no WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN??? drive to go catch up

It honestly wouldn't. For this one story arc, that one troll was right, Johns became DC Bendis.

There's a lot of play with the human/More Than Human stuff in the N52 series, but I think it's too abstract and it's trying very, very hard to be deep. Whereas this is getting its depth through intensive character work on a seemingly mundane level.

>I am 100% not caught up on that
You don't really need to be.

Basically, Grail has kidnapped Steve, and gives him this magic kiss that turns him into a super-powerful god-thing that one shot kills Anti-Moniter.

And no, it doesn't really make any more sense in context.

At least it was kinda hot before it turned into bullshit

>Hal wondering why he's next to Mr. Bones in the fifth row while Guy is right behind Batman

It's still less gay than "No homo" or "Oh jeez".

I think the problem is that Johns wanted his own COIE, a 12-issue part epic. But Darkseid War simply isn't big enough in scope for that.

Nah, the characterization isn't mangled and lazy enough to be Bendis

uhoh, Durlans

>it's a trap

It's no worries. I'm glad it was enjoyed or useful. You do seem more a bit more upbeat now, insofar as anyone can tell that from anonymous posting on low quality chinese cartoon imageboards.

>I think the problem is that Johns wanted his own COIE

Well he failed spectacularly if that was the case.

He has all these characters but the majority of them aren't doing anything

Like the first arc seemed to be more about the JL getting their god powers but I can't really tell what the focus on the second half is
I thought it was "bring down antimonitor" but then the last couple issues happened?? and something about the baby but I dunno
It's really jerky in what it wants to do

honestly so excited for CIVIL WAR 2

missile

to the tits

So am I, but for all the wrong reasons.

it's going to be such a shitshow

I hope

I think both Cooke and Timm do a great job of making sexy look fun, which really makes pin-up shit like 1000 times better. Contrast with Greg fucking Land.

I guess. If you're into that sort of thing.

>X wanted their own COIE
The last time that happened, we got War of the Gods. Which had many of the same problems of being overblown and lasting way too long.

Though at least War of the Gods consistently remained a Diana-centric event. I feel like she's not nearly as important in Darkseid War as we were led to believe.

fucked up by Durlan Mr. Bones

the Gregs Land and Horn both make me shudder

Christ I love Durlans. How do I convince DC to release an unsellable sci-fi comic on Durla?

I'm excited for Civil War 2 Aftermath Scarred Battle Road To Prelude to Civil War 3

Are we reading Breach and New 52 Captain Atom too?

Bendis won't even be done with Road to CW2 when that starts happening.

mmmmmaybe

it's kind of low on the priority scale compared to staying in the gloriously political 80s

needs Ciji

I still say Land used to be tolerable when he at least tried to make his tracing fit in and look like normal art.

agreed

the key to sexy pinups is making the characters look like they are also into it, not like they are being paid to be there

/k/ would be proud of the Captain

>Civil War 2: Minority Report
Phillip K Dick must be rolling in his grave.

How the hell did that even kill her? Jen has surely taken much worse damage than a missile.

I don't know about Nu52 Atom but Breach has nice Marcos Martin art so it's got that going for it I guess.
Most pointless reboot ever tho

Thanos-busting missile.

What grave? PKD's spirit is living as a druggie space machine prophet in the historical Roman empire right now, we all know that.

Huh. I didn't know about that comic at all.

I thought the article about Cho was ridiculous, but this at least starts to talk some about "why is what's hot to me hot" (NSFW):

womenwriteaboutcomics.com/2016/05/10/61354/

>needs Ciji
Ciji is love, and has no fucks to give. Kind of a shame she ultimately didn't do much in REBELS vol2. She and Vril seemed to get along so well.

I remember when we read Dixon Birds of Prey, and Land's art didn't make me want to dry heave. Good times.

There isn't a lot of intellectual discussion of sexy art, and in comics there probably won't ever be because even the idea of it is offensive to so many people - at least, the idea of sexy art in comics that aren't only sexy comics.

Everyone sexy Land draws lol, "draws" looks artificial or miserable or both. And good sexy art can be miserable - look at Hiroaki Samura's bondage pin-ups - but Land's sure as shit isn't. Unpopular opinion: I also really don't like that Sunstone shit apart from the occasionally clever paneling.

>need Ciji
I've honestly plotted out an embarrassing amount of headcanon about Durla and a large number of Durlans.

dat Hal

Sorry, we're not reading the rest of Invasion!, although it'd probably make more sense now than it did when we read it

Hal and Dinah lookin' good

Ted looks like he's wearing lipstick

I guess Invasion! was Captain Atom's crossover.

Ahem: before we get going, one delightful page because I love you all

>Cap wondering if he should tell the President there's nothing to pin the medal onto

who the fuck can actually sleep on flights

I can, although I always end up regretting it.

busting up at pancake Ronnie

I actually really liked the New 52 Captain Atom series, but I was just starting to get into comics when I jumped into the New 52 series so I had no idea of the character's history like this.

I still think it's pretty good on its own merits. People call his portrayal in the book Dr. Manhattan, but there's a pretty huge difference in characterizations in that Dr. Manhattan was a scientist, and Captain Atom was NOT, so he approaches the "god-tier reality warping power" from a different angle consistently.

>Find out how Captain Atom helps Wonder Woman find the real Steve Trevor in Wonder Woman #26, on sale now!
We read that one. I think that was when Dr. Minerva first showed up in Perez's run.

Invasion was pretty meh, honestly. The tie-ins were better than the main book.

>Eiling will never harass you again

lol

It's kind of insane to me that the same person who sourced that article wrote the Frank Cho one.

That is a conversation more people to have and be open about. If I'm being honest and jaded that article reads as quite controlled and careful in what its contributors have put down. But absolutely, it is a start.

I can doze for maybe an hour or so but I can never get a good restful sleep on one.

I can't sleep comfortably on any sort of moving vehicle, whether it's cars, buses, trains or airplanes.

I can sleep anywhere.

I could when I was younger but it's been like 10 years since I've flown so I don't know if I still could. Probably?

I can although not for long periods (less than an hour, usually)

I TRY to sleep when travelling as much as I can though, passes the time faster than anything

>If I'm being honest and jaded that article reads as quite controlled and careful in what its contributors have put down.

It all felt very expected.

I can see that, and I haven't read it all so I'm probably being ungenerous, but I'm also loving this and I didn't have any high expectations so I'm ;___; at knowing it doesn't carry through.

the Cho one was written from a theory standpoint I just can't get behind at all, but I appreciate the impetus to source what she did, you know?

I wish I could absorb your power, it takes me 3+ hours to get to sleep at night

oh Major Force, in a few scant years you'll become comics infamous forever

all good things...

all of a sudden Major Major Major Major comes to mind

I don't dispute the choices. I like Coover, whose erotic stuff I think works as a comic in a way a lot of erotic stuff doesn't, and I like Cloonan - perfect Belit - and Lafrenais. I think there's genuine feeling there but I am pretty distrustful of any opinion where someone can wrap what the hottest sexy art means to them and why they like it in a neat approved and socially conscious bow. The last submission maybe feels the most honest.

>but I'm also loving this and I didn't have any high expectations so I'm ;___; at knowing it doesn't carry through.

It always hurts to find some little forgotten nugget of good story that gets completely ignored by everything that came after for whatever reason.

Reading through all the Dr. Fate stuff awhile back was full of bits like that.

>That is a conversation more people to have and be open about.
I don't think people CAN be open about it. Think about the standard reactions to any discussion of sexuality. They range from "Hehe, boobes!" and "OH GOD GENITALS EXIST, THINK OF THE CHILDREN!", both of which have persisted essentially throughout all of human history. I don't think our species as a whole is physically capable of being frank about sex. If we were, it would've happened by now.

Heyho Storyteller.
I bought comics today!

Superman's logo is off center, I laugh at Rocket Red being in that group shot despite the Justice League connection, and which Starman is that again?

Inza's absence makes me very sad

Will Payton, I think