Heathcliff tries to catch birds

Heathcliff tries to catch birds.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCbrb4lqXgABnemLU6vZikiQ/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=0YPWLGmcTkU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why...why does Heathcliff always leave me with so many questions?

Like, why did the author split the middle row of panels? And then, there's the 3rd panel of the first row. Like, what's he even doing there? Overall, what a bizarre use of copyrighted characters for what's essentially a non-joke.

I love Gallagher's absolute disregard for character rights. Just using whoever the fuck he wants is ballsy.

He knows that not even the mega-coroporations can stop Heathcliff.

>Opus

Are the new strips any good?

Reminder the heathcliff universe connects to every other universe

He didn't put Donald Duck. That's like waving a red blanket at a bunch of calves, but not the prized bull.

But Donald wouldn't have made sense for the joke.

And the penguins do?

That's why they're in their own panel.

CROSSOVER

He has waved some pretty risky flags before, though, e.g. the Mickey hat and this.

Calvin needs to appear.

>felix
>risky flag
As much as I love Felix, I don't think whoever owns his rights now is gonna get their panties in that big a bunch over a comic strip appearance. I still wish he was public domain.

Mickey's still really, really risky. The ultimate flag would definitely be Garfield, but there are a few rights-holders from today's strip who are very lawsuit-happy.

Definitely. Any Disney property is basically off-limits. As far as future strips go, he really ought to stick to comic strip cameos since their owners don't seem to mind much (from how it looks, anyway)

The fact that Gallagher was willing to do an angry birds cameo right as the film is coming out is REALLY fucking ballsy. The game was essentially made for licensing and the company makes most of its money from the game from licensing so it says a lot that he's willing to use their IP so flippantly. I can't but respect that Gallagher is blatantly spitting in the face of IP laws while hidden behind the safety of a cartoon icon.

>Like, why did the author split the middle row of panels?

Probably a formatting mandate, so that the panels could be rearranged in a narrower way for certain newspapers.

I imagine the Angry Birds copyright holders trying to sue Gallagher, but when they show up at his house for preliminary discussions they find themselves sucked into a Phantom Zone-esque realm of torment where nothing anybody says matches up to what they do.

Weeks later their corpses are found beneath a coverpass, wearing helmets that say "COWARD" in big block letters.

>Any Disney property is basically off-limits
Someone missed the APE-T APE-T

The thing is just that the characters from other cartoons or comics don't appear that often in Heathcliff so it's considered parody. The Far Side, Mother Goose and Grimm, and other comic strips sometimes do comics about other people's copyrighted stuff.

>Heckle and Jeckle

The fuck ever happened to those faggots

or terry toons in general I guess for that matter

>not "Heathcliff tries to atrend a certain funeral"
POTTERY especially considering what happened yesterday here and there.

Heathcliff is above copyright laws

Terrytoons are all owned by CBS who has no plans to do jack with them.

You can watch pretty much every Terrrytoon ever made on this youtube channel though. youtube.com/channel/UCbrb4lqXgABnemLU6vZikiQ/videos

The cool experimental scenes by Jim Tyer and Connie Rasinski is worth seeking out.

I like it.
I had a dream once. I think it was a dream, but it happened during the day and I must have fallen asleep for some minutes.
Out of the window, above my house there passed a host of souls walking in single line toward their unhearthly place of rest, and my dog tried to run to them and would have fallen from the window, and I had to catch her by her hindlegs.
Likewise in this strip Spring has come, ad birds are migrating, passing through the lawn of Heathcliff's house, and he tries to catch them.
I wonder if Ghallagher has also seen the host of souls once.

Some say he's bad news and that his breath can knock out several dogs at once.

Would this realm be Kafkaesque, would you say?

this is true

top heath

ahahahaha, I just noticed the Fruit Loops toucan there. Gallagher must have added every cartoon bird he could remember.

I finally get why he wears so many animal suits

You are what you eat

I never read these threads until today. My god this comic is surreal. Why did I ever avoid these threads?

Is there a crop of this sick ass Heathcliff?

Because you once valued sanity.

Why the fuck this isn't just a one long panel!?

Look at the panel with the tripping cat: We see the red hat penguin is the last visible character of the group.
On the fourth panel we see he isn't in the group at all.
Therefore the fourth panel happens after the third panel: 4 new characters joined the birds.

>We see the red hat penguin

That's Chilly Willy

youtube.com/watch?v=0YPWLGmcTkU

>ballsy

Not really. This kinda use is protected as parody, same with how all these thousand internet sites can sell shirts with jokes about Star Wars or whatever. He's not spitting at IP laws, he's safely within 'em.

see

fixed

This one is actually kind of funny

Normally a third panel can be explained like this.
The newspaper funnies take up either a horizontal strip or a whole block.
What cartoonists usually do is give two strips an overarching story so they can be re-used for the block. All the artist has to do then is put in the title card, but since a title card taking up 1/3 of the space would look weird her can make it only two panels wide. So he makes a filler panel that isn't necessary to understand the story or get the joke but still fits. Usually an establishing shot of the terrain.
Gallaher accdentally made his title card only one panel so her had to make two filler panels. And since he has all the energy and diligence of a rheumatic sloth he decided to try and get a way with the most minimalist excuses for panels imaginable.

woah

saved saved saved