So when does this show get good?

So when does this show get good?

Back in the 90s

Episode 6ish

I know it's a meme
> it gets good 3 hours in I swear

but it actually does. The first few episodes are weird and seem like a completly different writing team. The family guy style cutaways are almost completly gone by the end of the season, and the characters are all much more fleshed out and non stereotypical. First couple episodes have Todd, Mister Peanutbutter and Princess Carolyn seem like completly different characters to who they are for the rest of the series.

It's like they were too scared to commit to what they actually wanted to write straight away and turned up the generic sitcom dial to start off the show.

when you see the rule 34 of the 18 year old deer

Bojack Horseman was responsible for certain reviewers changing their guidelines. They used to watch only the first few episodes and review the whole season, which is why season 1 got bad reviews. People who watched all episodes rated it much higher on average.

Pretty much this. The first few episodes feel clunky but midway through the season it really picks up, and Season 2 is a fantastic watch. People who don't like this show are just contrarians who haven't seen the show and spout muh nihilism.

the first half of s1 isnt good at all imo, second half it picks up and second/third season are amazing

the meme opinion is that it gets good in the episode in which he visits his cancerous friend, but imho all the show is good. Before that it's a kind of stereotypical comedy in which you get to know characters and there's little depth to it, I enjoyed it nonetheless.

unlikable protag

>People who don't like this show are just contrarians
I like the show but I hope you get cancer you stupid fucking faggot

isn't it the point of the show? I thought it aims to showcase the idiocy of 'rooting' for the protagonist simply because he is a protagonist by having Bojack be an unlikable asshole. Even when he does the right thing it's too little too late.

desu this can be said about pretty much every character save for, idk, lisa kudrow's owl girl or that indie artsy director.

Sure but it's still not fun to watch even if that's the point. Same with district 9 and Seinfeld. Even if I can appreciate the show I still don't want to watch it.

>turned up the generic sitcom dial to start off the show.
>show is about a guy that is only famous because of a generic sitcom

Mr Peanutbutter did nothing wrong. Initially it seems like he's being setup as an asshole rival (I physically groaned when he was revealed to be Diane's girlfriend because I assumed they were going to do super cliche plotlines). But he ends up being one of the most sympathetic characters on the show, Bojack is the asshole rival, not Peanutbutter.-

well, I still enjoy the show because I'm interested in what will happen to the characters. And I like the rare strands of optimism in between the depression-inducing fuckups everyone has. I want to know if the show will let the protag stop being his shitty self and make up for the shit he's done. I feel like if the next season (if it really will happen) will be just another round of beating the protag into dirt with him failing everyone around him and desperately reliving past glory of shitty sitcom he was a star of I'll stop caring about the show, but right now I am at least somewhat hyped for it (and I rarely let myself have high hopes for anything ever since mass effect 3)

yes, peanutbutter didn't do anything wrong and is in the show probably to be in contrast to all the other characters that act like assholes towards him

The gook girl doesn't deserve him, he is too pure

Wonderful analysis, can't believe I've never looked at it this way.
Mr. Peanutbutter is the best character and stands in stark contrast to basically every other character. Optimistic, cheery, and satisfied with the small things.

I get it, I just don't get emotionally involved in tv shows anymore and I don't like watching things that make me feel shitty. I'm glad you enjoy the show user, I'm just saying why I don't watch it.

I'll take your word for it, user, but if you're telling porkies, I'm coming back.

I understand it 100% and I get why people can drop it, I just felt like explaining why I still go on.

it doesn't

It actually starts strong and gets gradually worse

Explain. The first episode is painfully mediocre and has a bunch of plot threads that go nowhere.

> Bojack constantly watches Horsin Around (he only ever does this again on the Christmas special, reluctantly)
> Mister Peanutbutter is an asshole
> Princess Carolyn and Bojack's relationship is completly different to the rest of the series
> Todd is a "lol Jesse from BrBa" reference and seems to be on whacky adventures picking up girls. When he's completly different and actually asexual in the rest of the show

>asexual in the rest of the show
that was some sjw bullshit they forced in season 3. the first 2 seasons were good, 3rd season was shit.

This show would be better if Mr Peanutbutter was the protag desu
He's unintentionally a very good classic protag. In a world of Hollywoo narciccism, he's still just a dog.
But Bojack Horseman isn't that show. Bojack Horseman is showcase of an asshole by nature for other classic example assholes to be like "omg saaaame so deep."

>"omg saaaame so deep."
I hope you get cancer.

I always hated the artstyle

It got 2deep4u as it went on. The new episodes are all over the place. It just seemed more focused early on.

>(he only ever does this again on the Christmas special, reluctantly)
not true at all. he does it throughout the show, including on his bender with the girl from horsing around in the newest season

Weirdly enough, I can't bring myself to like him, most of the time
Mostly because he is also too dumb and distracted to be sane, but still gets away with everything