Holy shit Sup Forums, why did no one tell me this movie was so good?

Holy shit Sup Forums, why did no one tell me this movie was so good?

I skipped out on this movie when it came out because I was never a fan of Ant-Man in the comics, nothing I saw of the movie really peaked my interest, and the general buzz around the movie on release seemed pretty meh. However, I was really charmed by Paul Rudd in Civil War so I decided to go back and watch the original movie and to say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement. Paul Rudd was just as charming as in Civil, Evangeline Lily was smart and sassy (though at times a bit melodramatic), Michael Douglas was mean and crotchety and awesome, Michael Pena stole every scene he was in, and Abby Ryder Fortson was super cute. Age of Ultron had left me kind of burnt out on superhero movies, but Civil War and Ant-Man have rekindled that excitement in me again. It was just so much fun, the suit was really cool, the powers were used in really fun ways, the ants were cute useful in ways that weren't just gimmicks, and all the characters were really likable. But that's just how I feel, what's the consensus on Sup Forums about Ant-Man?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RpdscsPV1yE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Everyone here thinks Ant-Man is great except for Sup Forums crossboarders

Yeah, most people here like it. They kept it small-scale like Iron Man 1, and it helps that shrinking adventures look cool on film.

Nice

>it helps that shrinking adventures look cool on film.
The movie definitely looked super cool and the fight scenes were really well done, though I wish there was a little less pew pew laser spam from Yellow-Jacket. It was a really cool idea to combine a heist film with a superhero film and they pulled it off really well. I'm also a huge sucker for visual humor and this movie had that in spades.

I liked it a lot too, mainly for this reason That it was small-scale. Apart from that it was like all good MCU films, nothing groundbreakingly original, but rather absolute perfection of the formula.

Paul Rudd was Paul Rudd, starring as Paul Rudd in Paul Rudd: Ant-man.

Evidently not a lot of the execs had much faith in it either. Going in I thought this was just going to be promotional work like Agents of Shield and sure it dropped some references here and there but at its core, the movie did not disappoint.

A shame they pushed back the sequel however I think that was a good thing in hindsight. Iron Man 2 came out right away and it had so much meddling, after Civil War I hope they will let these comic movies embrace their 'comic aspects' more often.

ANTS

youtube.com/watch?v=RpdscsPV1yE

I pretty much felt the way you did, though I saw this movie before I saw Civil War. I just had no interest in watching Ant Man, and skipped out of watching it in theaters, because just Ant Man as a movie in concept alone seemed lame to me and I couldn't be anymore indifferent to it. One night, I decided to rent it from Redbox since there was nothing else good available, and I was pretty surprised at how good the movie was. I was expecting anywhere between mediocre to shit, but it was actually good. VERY good. DAMN good. It actually made me care about the character.

Ant-Man pretty much fixed the doubt in Marvel I had after AoU

I really wasn't into this movie.

Shit was so straightforward and formulaic, some of it felt forced, had a weak villain.

I'm surprised people like it so much. Movies like this are why I got bored of the mcu and started ignoring the movies. Thankfully Civil War was great.

>Movies like this are why I got bored of the mcu and started ignoring the movies
Not me. Movies like Thor, Avengers 2, and Iron Man 2 got me bored. I also really like Ant Man and didn't find it formulaic at all. Having a comedian as the main lead probably helped there. Also having Pym as being an Ant Man of the past was a nice change of pace.

That Ant-man design is so good. Nobody should be wearing skin-tight latex these days.

Film- Iron-man is good as well.

>Ant-Man comes to save Marvel from Ultron
Earth 199999 might as well be called Earth Pym.

Glad he has peace in at least one universe.

I really enjoyed this movie. Plot wasn't the best but who cares. The main points I didn't like revolved around the forced avenger tie ins, but I didn't even mind those that much mainly because of the enjoyable fight with falcon

I really wish edgar wright had directed it though

Sup Forumss been singing it's praises since release.
You just weren't paying attention.

Same here.
Which is really fucking ironic considering the lead up to both.

Was he seriously going to shoot it like Scott Pilgrim or is that a meme one user's trying to force?

Paul Ruddman is an unbelievably great part of the MCU. It's funny how it just works. He was the best thing in Civil War alongside Spidey and Black Panther.

I think the best part about his inclusion in Civil War was his humor. It was so genuine and funny. He really balanced out the rest of the cast by himself.

So far, my favorite part of the MCU.

I have no idea; he definitely has a style but I just enjoy his movies a lot and I think this blend of humor and action would've been perfect for him.

I still think the movie was directed well, I just am really interested to see what Wright would have done.

Don't know why Scott Pilgrim was specifically brought up.

It is good. But nothing more than that. Really played it safe which is probably what it should have done given the issue with the director.

The jarring combination of real-world setting and comic logic.
Tangible sound effects, villains turning into coins, that absurdist stuff.

It skyrocketed to being my favorite MCU movie.
Ant-man > Winter Soldier > Iron Man

Hope was cute and I hope she gets her own movie!

>Tangible sound effects, villains turning into coins, that absurdist stuff.

That seems pretty specific to Scott Pilgrim, I don't see how Wright could find something similar to work into Ant-man. We're talking about a guy who talks to ants and shrinks down while punching full sized men in the face, you don't need more absurdity.

Likewise, Hot Fuzz and The World's End are absurd enough and that style would work well with Ant-man.

>ywn tickle hope and make her lose her composure
Jdimsa

Best MCU girl?

>Rent
Are you aware of the current year?