Why is this show so anime-ish?

Why is this show so anime-ish?

What about that picture in particular is anime to you? They're teleporting. How else do you want it to look?

should've said "picture unrelated"
I just googled steven universe and found that pic

That's a Star Wars reference I think

I didn't get that issue. So he became an asshole because on the planet, because reasons?

Everything anyone will ever do will be a reference to something whether intended or not.

Glucose likes anime

Because it's supposed to be anime-ish

Created by a weeaboo with a staff of weeaboos.

What parts do you consider to be anime like? I can't think of too many elements of the show that would otherwise be unique to anime, though undoubtedly it has strong influences from it largely because of what points out.

I have a love/hate relationship with anime. I love how (in my opinion) the show borrows the good stuff from anime, without having any of the shit I hate about it.

>the show borrows the good stuff from anime, without having any of the shit I hate about it.

It still has the shitty fucking filler episodes.

it's literally a magical girl anime

where have you been

Because the entire group of people making the show are all gigantic nerds and weebs.

Filler is what happens when the anime catches up to the manga its adapting - Steven Universe isn't an adapation. So the "filler" episodes are just as deliberate and important as the action-packed ones. There has to be something to juxtapose with the high energy so the viewer isn't exhausted and/or doesn't acclimate to the fast pace, softening its impact.

Referencing anime doesn't make it anime-ish.

filler is good.

Yes, it's slightly somewhat annoying when you're hanging onto a plot or story arc and they're releasing episodes irregularly and one of them doesn't advance that story you're into at all; it feels like a huge void of wasted time, but that's not because it's a bad episode or that it doesn't add anything to the atmosphere of the show as a whole - it's purely you being desperate for more of the plot and impatient.
It's a symptom of the present and will utterly disappear for someone who is just watching the completed works of a series start to finish.

sugar wanted to make tributes to the shows she grew up watching, which is mostly 90s anime

How have people not learned their fucking lesson since the two newest episodes? STEVEN UNIVERSE IS NOT ABOUT THE PLOT. Its a SoL show about growing up.

>filler
oh boy here we go

I dunno man it has been kinda about the plot lately

That 70's show was more of a Slice of Life about growing up than this.

It's about growing up (in the small font)
... With 3 alien sisters when you're the human-alien hybrid of your human father an alien mother fighting to defend the earth against a colourful but mysterious ancient empire of those same aliens. (In the main large font.)

Every story is about the plot you imbecile.
EVERY story.

The plot IS the story.

>I dunno man it has been kinda about the plot lately

Oh like how "dealing with the cluster" pretty much boiled down to one episode while the episodes leading up to it really didn't have anything to do with actually dealing with it? Or like how the Malachite thing was only two episodes in total?

>He doesn't know the difference between a plot driven story and a character driven story

Read a book goddamn

the characters and their interactions would simply -be- the plot in that case.

It seems pedantic to me to try and split hairs about that.

It's funny knowing these cartoons from Sup Forums cause you expect plot and DEEPEST LORE and shit but the show generally turns out to be a goofy slice of life.

Plot and story are not synonymous.

That's one of the reasons why I really like SU, it's just a SoL that happens to involve space lesbian rock amazons

Because its trash.

It's basically Dune

>decent writing
>expressive, well-written characters
>clean and dynamic animation
>no forced moe kyun fanservice
>fight scenes that aren't drawn out through dialogue and exposition evey 5 seconds
>characters aren't braindead

This

>If I don't like it, it's forced
Also SU has lousy animation.

A generation of people who grew up watching and being influenced by the aesthetics and themes of anime are creating cartoons now.