SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE

Non american here.

Can ANYONE here explain the appeal of SNL to me?
People always pretend it's some milestone of comedy and I dont fucking get it.

youtube.com/watch?v=MhrzUVBhrLQ

Explain the joke to me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=T7wTvnX_ke4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Product of its time. Not going to be particularly funny to a modern audience.

Not SNL, but the "ticky-tacky house" song, or whatever it's called, would hold no humor these days.

SNL isn't funny for the same same reason Monty Python isn't funny anymore. It's old and outdated.

>Product of its time. Not going to be particularly funny to a modern audience.
Can you still somehow explain the joke?

youtube.com/watch?v=T7wTvnX_ke4

Seems like every sketch is some weird drawn out unfunny joke that never connects and has no punchline or payoff in the end. By how americans describe SNL you expect there to be some legendary payoff to every sketch, but its just medicore and unfunny.

It's not been funny for a long time. But before Facebook, it was a way to watch short clips of attempted humor. With enough attempts, they occasionally hit gold. But even that stuff often doesn't hold up over time.

>The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

The fuck SNL, I'm in America.

Whatever yeah I agree a lot of classic 70s SNL did not age well, you gotta understand that it was a break out show that targeted young people, people in their 20s. That was huge.

Some of the old SNL is still pretty stellar, the Richard Pryor episode is pretty damn great. I think SNL's best period was the mid-80s with Phil Hartman and all the stars that popped around that time, Myers, Carvey, Farley, etc.

It was the samurai hotel sketch by the way.

Like I get what they're doing, but it's just not funny.
So the joke is that the hotel is ran by japanese people who shout like in badly dubbed samurai flicks?

The joke just drags on and on and gets more awkward and weird and seems builds up to something but never actually goes anywhere.

Monty Python was never funny though.
And the zucker brother movies still hold up.
Airplane! is still funny as shit.

A lot of SNL stuff failed to have much of a punchline. Even the funny stuff would just kinda hang at the end.

neither was SNL

So people just make shit up when they claim its legendary comedy because its something they have fond memories of watching as a kid on the tv?

I laughed at Monty Python and the Holy Grail when I was a kid. I watched it recently and it didn't do much for me. Monty Python's tv show was at a time when just men dressing up as women was considered funny. Now you aren't supposed to laugh.

>A lot of SNL stuff failed to have much of a punchline. Even the funny stuff would just kinda hang at the end.
Why though?
Its like some coked up faggot scribbled some idea on a napkin after doing a line and never went back to re-evaluate it and then everyone had to sober up and actually act out the shit he came up when on coke and nobody wanted to admit the idea sucked or something.

Snl is cool for ppl who are into sodomizing humor

pretty much. I loved the A-Team as a kid. Thought it was brilliant. Watched it recently, holly shit I had poor tastes.

>Monty Python was never funny though.
Unless you're old enough to watch the show/movies when they were modern, you have no frame of reference.

What kills shit like SNL and Monty Python is that they constantly ham it up and break character.

Say about jews what you want, but the zucker brothers perfected comedy by having everyone play it straight and NEVER break character in airplane! and police squad while monty python and SNL basically was "LOOK AT ME I A M SILLY".

It didn't have anything similar to it to compete against. The other channels were airing infomercials and reruns. And you only had 3-4 channels to choose from anyway.

It's just goofy humor. Seeing Belushi play a mock Samurai.

If you can't enjoy a class clown acting silly well then much of SNL isn't for you.

Born 86 here.
When I was a kid I thought holy grail was a funny movie. As a teenager I pretended its a funny movie, because thats what all the other kids claimed.
When I rewatched it as an adult I realized its a turd and really sucks on several levels, writing, execution and pace.

When I watch naked gun it still holds up, because it was actually written by people who know how humor works.

Wait, there was a time where americans only had 5 channels to chose from?

It gets old and lame after 10 seconds in though.
Its like someone thought it would make for a great 10 minute sketch but didnt realize it only made for a great 2 second concept until you actually bother writing a funny script.

Yes we only had ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS and maybe some random public access stuff.

But did you have BBC?

I only had 5 TV channels until I finally got MTV in 1998.

Cable TV is overrated as fuck and they should go back to the big 3

Uh no. FX has pumped out better content than all the three networks combined. And probably at a fraction of the cost.