Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=iH5R4tgGdDk
m.youtube.com/watch?v=A4BuQMJEKHw
m.youtube.com/watch?v=S06nIz4scvI
youtube.com/watch?v=txGegkyZ5cs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No

Yes.

Yes but since it's Cracked they're also wrong at the same time.

I have to agree, if the movie was all about the training, it'd be a lot better. Show that the Vietnam War started way before for the characters.

Spotted plebeians.

I love epic Drill Sargent Man!

No. Second half is just as good

Most memorable scene in the second half is the hooker part

>not the sniper scene
>not the mickey mouse ending scene

Second half is pleb filter.

Yes.
I watched it for the vietnam footage, stayed for the training.

>Not well disciplined VC

Pleb opinion

how fucking plebian can you get

FMJ second half is kino overload

M'lady

I remember watching it for the first time and being stunned that the movie didn't end after the basic training part. I was already completely satisfied at that point.

obviously the second half is great cinematography but its a fucking boring disjointed story that feels especially weak when the first half was one strong and focused storyline

The second half wasn't good film, but had tons of good and/or memorable moments.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=iH5R4tgGdDk

m.youtube.com/watch?v=A4BuQMJEKHw

m.youtube.com/watch?v=S06nIz4scvI

What the fuck? Is that a ghost?

You'd better get your head and your ass wired together, or I will take a giant shit on you.

>first half was one strong and focused storyline
military training is strong and focused

>fucking boring disjointed story
war is mostly fucking boring and disjointed

>it's supposed to be shit! You have to like it because it's self aware

>boring on purpose!!!!

I like the second half. It's less glory but just the dumb bullshit the whole war was. Also Animal Mother.
youtube.com/watch?v=txGegkyZ5cs

It's supposed to unnerve you when noticed. I've seen this movie 3 times before somebody pointed that moment to me.
Fucking Kubrick, truly master of his craft.

or if vietnam scenes were intercut with training scenes in flashback form..

No no no, the events are boring. I still was able to enjoy it and if YOU think that it was boring you should stop taking amphetamines.

>"DUDE LE EPIC CUSSING DRILL SERGEANT LMAO!"

>retards only focus on the meme part of the movie and want to forget about the war theme part

The second part is fine but the fact that its preceded by the absolutely stellar first half makes it seem worse than it is

It's a jungian thing.

uh, no

>WAR IS BAD
truly a visionary...
ahead of his time...

The best scene in the film is the mickey mouse song scene
prove me wrong

Honestly, I've never seen the second half all the way through in one sitting, just bits and pieces. I've seen the first half more times than I can count though. You get a satisfying beginning, middle, and end, and I'm just mentally ready to be done when Pyle caps himself.

These are great days we're living, bros. We are jolly green giants, walking the Earth with guns. These people we wasted here today are the finest human beings we will ever know. After we rotate back to the world, we're gonna miss not having anyone around that's worth shooting.

YOU TALK THE TALK, BUT DO YOU WALK THE WALK?

>war theme part

You mean the anti-war message that every war movie since the 60s has had?

YOU KEEP SAYING

>the prostitute scene
>the sniper scene

its a guy with bandages on his face you autistic moron

SOME FOLKS ARE BORN MADE TO WAVE THE FLAG
OOOOH THEY'RE RED WHITE AND BLUE

>completely forgettable
ME RUV YOU WRONG TIME

the second half was best

Every pro-war movie is also anti-war.
Every anti-war movie is also pro-war.
No exceptions.

i completely agree

I am a big fan of Kubrick but he really dropped the ball on this one

2nd half is garbage

>Marines
>Basic Training
Bravo, AuntieMeme.

>Animal Mother
>"Me love you long time"
>Mickey Mouse
>"Better you than me"
>Sniper scene
>Soldier interviews

Probably more that I can't think since it's been a few years. But no, the second half is great

i love watching Sup Forums be contrarian ON PURPOSE simply because there is a picture online

The whole film is great, but the first half is so iconic and constantly referenced by other media, that when I watch it now I actually enjoy the second half more.

Fuck cracked though, seriously

The way Animal Mother pauses and smiles when he says "little Vietnamese" instead of gooks is great.

And Eightball's line is best quote in the film about the war.

"It's like they took away our freedom and gave it to the gookers. They don't want it. They'd rather be alive alive than free. Poor, dumb bastards."

This seen also had the funniest line in the film.

"If you ask me, we're shooting the wrong gooks."

The sniper scene was memorable, so no.

The second half isn't forgettable, it just strikes a lot of people as off because it transitions from a straight forward story about a group of privates in basic training to a series of vignettes set in the context of the Vietnam war
It works well, and there's a lot of great stuff in the second half, it just gets overshadowed because the first half is essentially it's own movie, and almost makes the second half feel like a sequel

I think this pretty much sums it up. If I start it at the second half I don't get bored of it but if I watch from the beginning then I can my enjoyment does go down during the second half.

Not when you have

>TATATATATATATATATATA
>HAHAHA
>TATATATA
>GET SOME HAHA
>TATATATATATATATA
>GET SUM
>TATATATATA
>GET SOM HAHA
>TATATATATATATA
>HAHAHAHA

in the second part.

I bet you screech autisticly when someone calls Drill Insructors Drill Sergeants.

i think we would not even discuss that if platoon hadn't come out the year before
People picture the fucking jungle if the think about the vietnam war and forget other aspects of the war - Oliver Stone gave them exactly what everybody expected and wanted to see

>t-the second half was best guys
>n-no i didn't enjoy the really enjoyable first half t-that much im not a pleb guys!
>t-the c-c-cinematography was just such k-kino in the second half, i really loved the b-b-boring l-l-long s-s-scenes of nothing

>completely forgettable

no

>t-t-there is going so much on in the first hour

>best quote in the film about the war.
Son, all I've ever asked of my Marines is for them to obey my orders as they would the word of God. We are here to help the Vietnamese, because inside every gook there is an American trying to get out. It's a hard-ball world, son. We've gotta try to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over!

tell me about him, why does he wear the bandages?

Stick to capeshit junior.

dirty dozen had a similar training/deployment structure but was better paced, funnier and had better actors. try to deny this, you cannot.

It certainly wasn't as memorable as the first half of the film, but I wouldn't call it forgettable. It had some great scenes.

Whoever thinks this is a fucking shit head.

Let's all just agree that Apocalypse Now is far superior to Full Metal Jacket

>Implying the bug from Men in black didn't act his ass off

Back to 9gag

Let's all just agree that out of Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, and Platoon, that Platoon is by far the worst of the three.

FMJ is the greatest vietnam film ever made

this desu, other than this scene I forgot everything afterwards

From that same list

Platoon doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as those two. Born on the 4th of July is the much better Stone Vietnam film.

I haven't seen any of those and still liked Stranger Things.

opening to pt. 2 is so good

>set in the 80s
>filled with "references" to movies also set in the 80s
WOW!!

It was extremely painful before he put them on

How can you shoot women, children?

Easy you just don't lead em as much.

Platoon's strength was the sights and sounds and feel of what life was like in Vietnam and what it was like to hump through canopy jungle. The story itself was shit, and the action wasn't good either honestly. But those characters (mainly the background characters) bantering when they're bushwacking and just hanging around. Little details were the good thing. And they did a good job of portraying black soldiers in Vietnam. Junior and King, especially.

Except stand by me is set in the 50's

He meant to say it references movies MADE in the 80s

How do you tell the difference between a vc and an non vc?

What was the significance of this scene?

Jesus Raimi.

It was a different time.

this, war is shitty but we naturally love it because aggression and competition's what allowed us to be alive today. every peaceful society was exterminated

IF HE RUNS HE'S A VC
IF HE STAND STILL HE'S A WELL DISCIPLINE VC

Barnes made it worth watching.

Worst opinion. The second half is vital to the film, and the sniper scene at the end is way more memorable than anything in the first half.

>That scene from the dying sniper's pow while they all look down on her bleeding out
I'm not even the guy who calls things kino, but thats fucking kino.
Also the tracking shot with bird is the word is great too
>I KNOW! THE GOOKS CAN PLAY THE INDIANS!

You can talk the talk
can you walk the walk?

Yes. Yes they are. Case in point, quote anything from the 2nd half besides something the whore says

Low brow opinion.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

"See? Not too booku"

"HOW CAN YOU KILL WOMEN AND CHILDREN?" -> "YOU JUST NEED TO AIM LOWER"

"IT REPRESENTS THE DUALITY OF MAN SIR"

>he doesn't know what face bandages are