Stages of a Star Wars fan

Infant: All of the movies are great because they're Star Wars! I love Star Wars!

Child: Disney Star Wars is shit but everything by Lucas is good. It was his franchise after all.

Teenager: Okay, Episodes I and II are bad, but at least Episode III was good! I don't mind the special editions either; they made a few improvements I think!

Young adult: The prequels and special editions are travesties and only the original trilogy is good. V > IV > VI. Empire Strikes back is the best!

Mature adult: The only good Star Wars movie is Episode IV.

fucking dumb
i know that IV is the only good star wars film and i'm definitely not mature

Humans are often contradictory in nature.

Elder Adult: VI gets a bad rap. Focus less on the Ewoks and more the emotional back and forth between Luke and Vader.

>luke yelling in anger and slamming his lightsaber down on vader over and over whose unable to defend himself
>cats in the cradle starts playing

>Ignore stuff that makes the movie bad and it will seem better

Wow...

Wait, what's wrong with Episode V?

The only good Star Wars movies are Star Wars(which I refuse to refer by a number or subtitle that was added later), Rouge One, and The Force Awakens.

There are no good star wars movies.

You forgot the last one: Actual Adult
>The original Star Wars film was a landmark event in the history of motion pictures, and it should be respected and celebrated for that. It is fun to watch and appreciate, but I have outgrown the "fandom" and all the subsequent childish material. Geek culture is a product of late stage capitalism mass infantilization. I acknowledge that I am no longer a child and my tastes have changed and matured. I seek things that challenge my viewpoints and make me a more intelligent and more well-rounded individual, and I no longer care about "canon" or "universes".

>Child: Disney Star Wars is shit but everything by Lucas is good. It was his franchise after all.

Disney didn't own star wars when I was a child you fucking faggot kiddo

More like

Child: Star Wars is fucking neato

Teenager: Star Wars is fucking neato I love Battlefront and KOTOR

Adult: Oh cool Disney bought Star Wars and were finally gonna get more movies!

Even more Adult: Rogue One was fucking cool and a director of 2 of my favorite films is directing episode 8 awesome! Oh yeah and the comics are awesome again!

>but I have outgrown the "fandom"

That's basically what the mature adult part was getting at.

Which of the comics would you recommend? I've been thinking about checking out some of them since I got the first issue of the main Star Wars title sent with an omni I ordered.

You are currently in the Infant stage.

Empire and Jedi are both fine movies, I wanted to primarily illustrate the emotional detachment from fictional universes and a pivot towards more challenging entertainment.

Hi Jack Packard. How's your picky eater kid doing?

Being of pure energy: Dark Forces for the PC is the only Star Wars that matters

>video games
Grow up.

>all the wildly different sizes and proportions
>the fact that Luke, Han, Leia, and Lando look like they were done by a different, better artist
>that Sheev thumbs up
>that glowing Yoda
>that random second Chewbacca
>that Tarkin
>that indeterminate character in the bottom right

It's so dense

Episode 4 is self-contained, fits the hero's journey perfectly, and keeps the jedi grounded enough to seem cool..

i can rewatch it more than empire at times..

If you like any of the individual characters I'd obviously recommend one of their short series (Darth Maul is gud) but besides that you pretty much need to read Darth Vader's initial run and the Star Wars main comic more than anything. If you like Darth Vader a lot you might end up dipping into Doctor Aphra after that.

you are a faggot exclusively by nature

Also I was already an adult when it released but I forgot to mention Force Unleashed (only 1) in this post. God damn was that a magnificent game.

This
IV creates a new setting from scratch and is the only movie that works on its own. It is a revolutionary movie.

How come we don't have Jenny threads anymore on Sup Forums? I loved the shitposting, the projection, the people who threw themselves at her unabashedly, the people who spun tales of her at conventions and her past misdeeds, her twitter posts that struck at the very soul of Sup Forums and made people cry...

It's amazing how well it's able to create a world that feels believable and expansive, despite showing so little of it.

Muh Nigga, I was just about to mention it. I recommend reading the novelization, you get more of Starkiller's thoughts which flesh his personality out a lot. My favorite bit is where he's pulling down that ship and he's just thinking to himself about how it's impossible and he's about to die.

GREAT MOVIE TIER:
V

GOOD TIER:
IV
VI

"EH" TIER:
III

SHIT BUT WATCHABLE TIER
I

SHIT BUT UNWATCHABLE TIER
II
R1
TFA

But the more you see of the expanded material, the more you realize that there is so little Star Wars has to offer narratively. All the media follows the same hero's journey, if you look at the old timeline it's just the same shit over and over with slightly different ship designs, "not" Empire, "not" Rebellion, "not" Jedi, and so on.

You forgot the last stage.

Mature sage: Episode I was kino and everything other than that can only strive to come as close as possible to it.

>Troll post
>Probably spelt Rogue wrong on purpose
2/10 made me reply

Yeah, the more you see of the Star Wars universe, the more it sucks. Just getting bits of details and having the rest filled in with your imagination made it seem more real and magical. In a sense it helps you relate more to Luke as well. He's out living in the backwaters and has never experienced any of the other planets and whatnot, so you're with him in only knowing about it vaguely.

It is my honest opinion, but I did post in an intentionally inflammatory way.

>Mature adult: The only good Star Wars movie is Episode IV.
best post on Star Wars here. You are a good friend.

I have a pet theory that 90% of what people find so magical about Star Wars is the mind of Ralph McQuarrie and the sounds of Ben Burtt. The "magic" is really LucasFilm from the late 70s/early 80s. It was like lightning in a bottle, I don't know if you can ever have that kind of creative nexus come together again like that. You also had Jim Henson's puppet studio working with Lucasfilm, which produced the same kind of magical stuff like Labyrinth and the Dark Crystal.

The prequels were like watching the last sparks of creativity flitter out with Episode I. After that, Star Wars was just creatively bankrupt.

This is the exact same experience people are going through right now with Alien. Part of what made it so amazing and magical was the mind of HR Geiger. Ridley Scott is completely senile, and the world is slowly coming to the realization that he had nothing to do with Alien being as magical as it was.

Prometheus was the same thing with the last sparks of creativity. There was something there, Prometheus could have been amazing and it has some incredible practical and CG effects, but it just wasn't 100% there.

>Mature adult: The only good Star Wars movie is Episode IV.
There's no "Episode IV" or "A New Hope". It's just plain "Star Wars".

Adult Titan: The ewoks are fine, since I finally understand the meaning of what Yoda said in Empire.

adult: all the moves are terrible but kotor 1 & 2 are good.

Elder God: RotJ >= TPM >= AotC > RotS > ANH > ESB

holy shit. that bait

The children won't know what movie you're talking about if you say that, though.

Infant 0-5 (1992-1997):
>VI > V > IV.
>RotJ is the best because of the Tattooine scene with Luke and his green lightsaber. IV is the worst because it has the least lightsaber stuff.

Primary School 6-12 (1998-2004):
>I > VI > V > IV > II.
>TPM is the best because it's faster and looks more modern. II's Yoda thing was fucking stupid and not what Yoda is supposed to be.

High School 13-17(2005-2009):
>V > IV > VI > I > III > II
>Man the prequels actually aren't that great and really don't work with the OT. Lots of plot holes. Don't like them as much anymore. The flashing lights and massive amounts of CGI have lost their charm.

College 18-24(2010-2016):
>IV > V > VI > VII > III > II > I
>Realised that IV is actually near-flawless. VII was definitely better than the prequels but not as good as the originals.

Post-College 25 (2017):
>IV > V > VI > R1 > VII > III > I > II
>R1 is about on par with VII, probably a little bit more enjoyable since it tried to do something a little different. Also recently watched II again and gave it back its old spot as the worst in the series.

These posts are so stupid it's just
>my opinions
the post

Clones is better than Menace and Sith

How is that post different to the OP? And what the fuck else would it be but an opinion?

Let me clarify. OP's post is a very general type of path that many people could identify with. That other guy's post is "let me blog you about my extremely personal experience with the details of the Star Wars movies" and it misses the point of the thread.

This thread isn't a "rate your Star Wars journey" thread, it's about general life stages of Star Wars

Mature adult: Star Wars movie is for children

Episode IV is a genuine great movie. The fandom surrounding all of it is what is for children.

I think you're arguing semantics, they both seem to be pretty much exactly the same kind of post.

No they're really not, OP's post is saying how as you get older you realize that Star Wars is for children, the other guy's post is all III>II>IV>VII>>>>>XII>>>MCDVII

Looks to me like they both said OT was good, then enjoyed the prequels as children, then now both agree that IV is the best one.
user gave more detail. Autistic, sho. But you're having comprehension difficulties if you think one post is innately different from the other. They are both subjective life stories.

>Humans are often contradictory in nature
what can I say? I rebel

yeah nah, you're outnumbered here mate. op gave his life's development of star wars appreciation and that poster did the same. objection overruled

OP here. It was about general maturation of taste and how the people that like the newer movies are fucking retards. I never liked the prequels.

>late stage capitalism

>Infant: All of the movies are great
>Child: everything by Lucas is good.
>Teenager: at least Episode III was good!
>I never liked the prequels.

Beat me to it.

Yes I put retards that like the prequels into insulting age categories. That's my point.

Perhaps you should've used adjectives that reflect a range of tastes from plebeian to patrician, rather than an age range that implies a changing preference as one matures.
Have you been a mature adult, who only likes IV, since infancy?

Whatever. I got my (You)s so I'm content.

>Mature Adult: Star Wars is and always was for children.

The biggest problem with Episode V is OP being a gigantic faggot.

>II, R1, TFA in the same bottom tier
(you)

Functional Human Being:
>oh hey another star wars movie is coming out, I remember watching those as a kid. Maybe i'll go see it.

Yes, Disney needs to make a profit after all.

Episode 4 and Force Awakens are actually the best movies objectively.

Everything else is garbage for retards

Disney canon films ranking:
Star Wars > The Empire Strikes Back > Return of the Jedi > Rogue One > The Force Awakens > Revenge of the Sith > Attack of the Clones > The Phantom Menace > The Clone Wars Pilot Movie

Legends canon films ranking:
Star Wars > The Empire Strikes Back > Return of the Jedi > Revenge of the Sith > Attack of the Clones > The Phantom Menace > The Battle for Endor > Caravan of Courage > The Clone Wars Pilot Movie > Holiday Special

nah ur jus gay