BASED GOOGLE

So here's some hard evidence that inclusion and diversity in film actually does have some benefits
google.com/about/main/gender-equality-films/

Other urls found in this thread:

static.googleusercontent.com/media/www.google.com/en//about/assets/pdf/Our-Methodology-GDIQ.pdf
seejane.org/wp-content/uploads/hitting-the-bullseye-reel-girl-archers-inspire-real-girl-archers-full.pdf
services.google.com/fh/files/misc/images-of-computer-science-report.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Time to uninstall Chrome I guess

>proof that including others is good and not bad? time to throw a fit
typical drumpfkins

It would be great to have rolemodels that aren't thinly veiled attempts at marketing to demographic.

i wonder if there are already women astronauts

>proof that including others is good
>good
That's a relative term

If a "benefit" is more gender equality, count me out.

That's just not our culture anymore, man. it's kind of sad.

>We know that sometimes that people have said that things like Science and Technology were only for boys
Serious question, where do they get this? My whole life I've never heard one person, male or female, say anything like that.

The function of feminism is not to empower women; rather it is entirely designed to act as adversary to established order. Society, with its impulses, structures and rules are, in their finest forms, based on biology.
There will never be a female astronaut that could have done better than a male one or gotten the same chances without affirmative action. There will, however, be many of them that do succeed due to the latter. In turn, society will crumble in the new paradigm of hiring practices and cultural staples based on the lie of equality, the celebration of mediocrity, the vindictiveness of class and gender politics. Welcome to the future: nothing is good and nothing works right.
Mass Effect 3 is one of the first examples that blew up of what happens to a company that goes full SJW. That was only a taste of what's to come.

>trusting google after they changed the definition of fascism and made it against the right
you niggas better upgrade your shitty computers and install Firefox again

The great thing about data is it can be used to fit your narrative.

For example, from that study you posted

"Women are underrepresented in all ratings categories included in the 100 highest grossing films of the past three years"

And

"Women are barely seen in Academy Award-winning films"

Using that same data I can make the argument

"Diversity in films makes them less profitable and less critically acclaimed, therefore white, cis, hetero, male leads make objectively better leads, both financially and critically"

Ty for the data.

>Rey as a role model
I don't know whether they should feel proud or stupid for being inspired by such a poorly written character.

My beliefs are that diversity has some artistic and inspiration benefits for fiction. I wouldn't mind seeing non-white non-male main characters in certain sub-genres of fiction, or you can still go with a white man but have him look and/or sound somewhat different from the sub-genre stereotype.

HOWEVER, I also believe that diversity should be organically conceived, developed, and implemented. Creators should not be pushed to force in diversity for the sake of making some moralists feel better. Creators should take non-white actors into consideration and try to tweak the casting tropes, but creators should not try too hard in trying to please everyone in the social justice community. In fact, pleasing everyone, especially in the social justice community, is a sure road to failure, since there is going to be complaints about stereotypes, cultural faithfulness, and conformity towards the "white culture".
Also don't act like you're so fucking awesome just because you have a BBW and a Trans-Cuban in your cast. It makes you look like an ass-kisser, and not just that but an ass-kisser for self-righteous, smug, hypocritical assholes.

tl;dr Don't force diversity. Don't act like you're saving the world doing diversity. But keep an open mind when it comes to casting.

>hard evidence that inclusion and diversity in film actually does have some benefits

Where?

Because its not in that article.

kind of weird right, they look at movies to find role models. why don't the parents just let them watch docs about space and shit

> I'm doing a science experiment
> Use Rey as a role model
> From the movie about space magic, crystals that make condensed laser, faster than light travel, planets that all have breathable atmospheres, aliens that all speak the same language etc

Are they seriously trying to make an argument that a science FICTION movie inspired someone to be a real life engineer? That's fucking ridiculous.

Spinmeisters btfo

Fuck's sake.

Movie roles reflect reality, not the other way around.

(((They))) like to manufacture problems which (((they))) only have a solution to

Even space docs are derivative and shitty.

Is anything good anymore?

>less profitable

But

>Female-led films do better at the box office, earning 16% more than male-led films

That's the thing. Blaming the audience for not having one's tastes is not only seen as being uppity and myopic, but also counterproductive in addressing one's "issues". The audience may just find the casting to be unfamiliar. Maybe audiences prefer expectations and flock towards familiarity (see Transformers and sequelitis). Maybe the audience is fucking racist. Either way, shitting on them with some shame n' blame is a very bad idea, since they are the ones the movie people's income is dependent on. Audiences in general especially don't like it when one forces things in to pander to a political group know for having insufferable snobs.

tl;dr Don't be a cunt and respect your fucking audience. If you evolve too fast don't expect audiences to feel confident in viewing it and getting an "adequate" experience.

Not really.

Girls see themselves represented on the big screen and want to do what the women they see are doing.

That's kinda my point, the data doesn't deliver a consistent message, it's using the data to prove the point they want, which is the wrong way to look at data.

Also, when the vast majority of films that come out each year are male lead that means the good is tied in with the bad, which can lower your average if it's a bad year for films financially. So when you compare it to the 3 or 4 films with female lead that came out that year it's very easy to see a higher average for female films.

Female lead films only need to make like 2 good films to have a high average. Male led films need to make like 70 good films to have a high average. It's an unfair comparison.

>Don't be a cunt and respect your fucking audience

I just want to say that I hate sentences phrased like this. "Don't ___ and ____" implies that you want someone to avoid both of those things.

You don't want someone to be a cunt, and you don't want someone to respect their fucking audience. Use conjunctions right and don't place the "don't ___" in front of the "do ___" section.

Rey's not a scientist though is she, she's a scavenger who plays with magic swords, so unless we saw a rise of women fencing it's a hard pill to swallow that Rey has encouraged young girls to study a STEM field.

the sweet embrace of a wasted life

A female being a lead in a science fiction film got them interested in science.

It's not a hard jump to make.

>not understanding the role that movies play in social conditioning and creating memes in society
>mfw somebody here is 12

Except it is, not the least because that movie has nothing to do with science.

If you wanna say "Anne Hathaway got young girls interested in science after watching Interstellar" I can get behind that, she legitimately was a scientist.

Rey does nothing at all to do with studying, learning or science. If anything Rey would lead girls to be explorers/pilots because that's what she does.

I mean, are we gonna try argue that in the 80's young guys watched Luke use magic to fight his father trained with a green goblin and that made them want to design buildings?

don't say shit like this and fuck up cunt

Pretty sure if kids are interested in doing shit like that, they'd have been doing it regardless of if the main character from the latest Hollywood blockbuster shared their genitals.

I'm sure young guys became interested in space after watching Luke go on his adventures. And young girls become interested in space after seeing Rey go on her adventures. This interest in space leads to an interest in science.

Okay you're missing the point.

I just want to provide some honest advice in order to help your posting.

Don't take it the wrong way.

>Sergey Mikhaylovich Brin (Russian: Cepгéй Mихáйлoвич Бpин; born August 21, 1973) is a Russian American computer scientist, internet entrepreneur, and philanthropist.[citation needed] Together with Larry Page, he co-founded Google. Brin is the President of Google's parent company Alphabet Inc.

>As of March 2017, Brin is the 13th richest person in the world, with an estimated net worth of US$39.8 billion.[6]

>Brin was born in Moscow in the Soviet Union, to Russian Jewish parents

I'm not the person you were correcting, I was simply correcting your autism.

I just want to provide some honest advice in order to help your autism.

Don't get defensive and take it the wrong way.

I'm not , by the way.

I guess I should've typed:
>Don't be a cunt and please respect your fucking audience.
>Don't be a cunt, and (please) respect your fucking audience.

how is that hard data
holy shit

Is there a version of this article that isn't cluttered with useless images?

You got the tism

>I was only pretending to be retarded.

Sup Forums is always right.

I even used blatant reddit spacing, this thread is an embarrassment.

>I was only pretending to be retarded.

But then the effect is indirect and minor, so SJW's are making way to big a deal out of it.

If a movie that has virtually nothing to do with science and is merely set in space can "Spark an interest in females for space and therefore science" then the effect movies actually have on young people is super minor. If it was a strong effect then we would see young girls being interested in being pilots, which is what Rey is, instead it's a super roundabout effect.

You'll be begging for autists to stand against the misuse and distortion of words when the idea that black people can't be racist against white people becomes a big thing, lest there be more assholes kidnapping and torturing people for their whiteness like in that case with the four black youths who posted their cruelty on the internet because "muh prejudice+power".

>who will run out of images first, the baitposter or the pretendposter

I'm afraid you're outmatched

How much shitposting did you do to craft that bait?

Enough. We must go post modern.

Can't stay and finish, things to do.
Stay retarded.

Reading the PDF now. Interesting numbers. First thoughts:

1. They literally open the announcement of the data with an emotional sob-story (implying that representation in film has 'benefits').

2. It's not a study it's just data: it doesn't actually show that representation leads to real-world change of behaviour. To support the idea that it does they point to a single very weak study, not conducted by Google, about girls taking up archery because of Katnisss and Princess Merida. That study actually showed that boys naturally gravitated to archery (i.e. that they didn't need to be inspired by a fictional character like girls, to take it up).

3. The numbers do show a disparity on-screen, but it isn't anywhere near as large as is popularly imagined. It's slanted by some genres like crime, in which female representation and speaking time is low, but given that crime is overwhelmingly slanted towards males, this isn't hugely surprising.

The data is excellent, but the conclusions the announcement draws from it are poor. It does indeed show that there is an underrepresentation, but it doesn't at all show that there are 'benefits' from more representations or 'harms' from less. I'm sympathetic to the idea that we need more female representation, but let's not pretend there's science backing up the idea of benefits or that there's a secret systematic oppression responsible for it.

static.googleusercontent.com/media/www.google.com/en//about/assets/pdf/Our-Methodology-GDIQ.pdf

seejane.org/wp-content/uploads/hitting-the-bullseye-reel-girl-archers-inspire-real-girl-archers-full.pdf

*responsible for the relative lack it

Also I ignored the computer science study. The study shows that representation and perception of computer science is almost dead accurate. It's puzzling to even mention this in their announcement, since it argues against their thesis, not for it.

services.google.com/fh/files/misc/images-of-computer-science-report.pdf

>helium-filled balloon and was outfitted with solar panels, GPS, video cameras and sensors to capture data and relay it back to Earth in real time
>When they were 8 and 10

yeah ok, what parent """helped""" them with their little girly hobby? was it mommy dearest or evil patriarchal dad