Mad Men thread

Pick your:

>best character
>worst character
>best season
>worst season

Also, what is the best episode and why is it Signal 30?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vesjh3LXSKM
youtube.com/watch?v=LCPawawb1Ck
youtube.com/watch?v=cI6v858LeTU
youtube.com/watch?v=CPaCKKEisiA
youtube.com/watch?v=EO9duFfmKqA
youtube.com/watch?v=uck3JPRYtIw
youtube.com/watch?v=7yM5IwUJxiw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'd say Pete is one of the most interesting characters. He has a strong arc from beginning to end. I thought he was a snake at first but I found myself really empathising with him, and eventually rooting for him towards the end.

The Suitcase stands out in my mind as one of the best episodes. The Don/Peggy relationship is marvellous and Don's phone call really gets to me.

>best character
Bert Cooper.

>worst character
Chauncey.

>best season

>worst season

>Also, what is the best episode and why is it Signal 30?
It's Signal 30 because Pete gets cucked by Don, Lane and Chad.

>>best character
none, they were all the same (thats a good thing) in that they all contributed equally to the overall atmosphere
>>worst character
none, they all had the same quality that contributed to the story
>>best season
none, admittedly some episodes were boring and were just kicking the story down the road. But there were never any gimmicks, or outlandish plotlines, technically each episode was equal in value for telling the overall story
>>worst season
same as above

If you ever want a textbook example of how being historically accurate can in of itself be the main driver of a story, then Mad Men is it. What made Mad Men great was that it did not go into any stereotypes that people have now about that time but told the story of american business/family/social life as honestly as possible. Kudos to Mathew Weiner for being a GenXer who made an incredibly accurate depiction of american life at a time before he was even born (Im a GenXer myself and I only vaguely remember this era when I was a little kid).

>Evil White Men getting replaced by the Rainbow Crew: The Show

>best season
>none, admittedly some episodes were boring and were just kicking the story down the road. But there were never any gimmicks, or outlandish plotlines, technically each episode was equal in value for telling the overall story

Same here, I don't really think about Mad Men as split by seasons, rather I think about it more in terms of where the characters are and what's happening in their lives.

>>best character
Pete
>>worst character
Linda Cardellini's (Sylvia?)
>>best season
>>worst season
>Also, what is the best episode and why is it Signal 30?
The Suitcase just barely edges it out.

>best character
Roger, just beating Pete.
>worst character
glen
>best season
>worst season
can't do it

my favourite episode is The Mountain King

I liked the jet set episode with the qt from She's the Man.

>Pete's fw Don says, ~"Don't you think I left you there alone because I was confident in your ability to succeed?"

yep

>best character
Roger

>worst character
Glen or Peggy's pinko boyfriend

>best season
Probably 4, but I don't really feel that strongly about it. It all kind of just bleeds together for me and I don't think any really stand out.

>worst season
I guess Season 6/beginning of Season 7. I just got tired of the Megan plot.

>>best character
Pete

>>worst character
Glenn

>>best season
4 or 5

>>worst season
IDK

>>Best Episode
Signal 30 is a good choice, IDK, would have to re-watchwould be my 4th re-watch

Can't believe it's been 2 years since it ended

>Can't believe it's been 2 years since it ended

not as bad as 10 years since S1

Will we ever get a tv series as good as it again? The Young Pope was good but we won't get another season for a long while probably, and The Knick was canceled.

It'll probably be awhile

doubtful. Halt and Catch Fire attempted something similar but it's nowhere near really.

Watching 6x09 w/ commentary now, just got to Don's
>He doesnt know you
to Peggy, brutal

We're waiting for the 80s spin off with Glenn taking over wall street.

this

>not a 'nam series

>worst character

this cunt

>our generation wants to talk about that newly designed can and the premium beans, but we don't want to be told what we should do or how we should act.
>We just want to be.

>best char
Don the man
>Worst char
That Priest friend of Peggie
>best episode
That one where Don narrates in first person

>looking at the old /sc&p/ threads
>that one guy who kept saying that Pete was going to shoot up the office because Bob Benson becomes a partner

>That one where Don narrates in first person
youtube.com/watch?v=vesjh3LXSKM

Was Pete our guy?

whatever happened to his rifle

Everything about is boring and made for pretensiosos wanna be man faggots

Best Character: Major: Roger Minor:

Worst Character: Minor: Glenn. Major: Megan

Best Season: 3

Worst Season: 6 or 2 for different reasons

Best Episode: Shut the Door and Have a Seat.

Ooops, minor favorite is Duck.

I cant answer any of your questions and now i have to rewatch this whole show

I absolutely hated this guy when out of nowhere he starts demanding to be made a partner despite the fact he is a dense do nothing and almost ruined the whole company by being an idiot. Even worse was when Roger Sterling handed over something like $5000 (about $30,000 in todays money) to this guy just so he would give up his office to Pete, like wtf, why does a boss have to pay off his employees instead of just telling to get out of that office? They should have fired that idiot many times over.

>best character
Pete Campbell
>worst character
Glenn (still an interesting character)
>best season
>worst season
1 (that said, it's still fucking great)

If they fixed the horrendous pacing issues and cut out all the bullshit about Hector/Fring then Better Call Saul would be a serious contender

As it is now though it's just another show with fantastic potential being turned into an "above average" production

It was a different time, when if you had a somewhat competent employee you would want to hold on to them since you couldn't replace them in less than an hour - not to mention after the whole feminism thing the workforce literally doubled in size

Crane was a great head of television what are you even going on about, if anything the agency undervalued him, but he often sabotaged himself (not taking the offer towards the end of the show for instance)

>I Killed Seventeen Men In Okinawa

I can get behind this.

roger was on the verge of having to give pete his office so he paid henry to switch instead.

>best character
Tie between Lane and Peggy
>worst character
Jane. Fuck that cunt. She was basically Betty cranked to eleven but somehow even less interesting.
>best season
>worst season
>best episode
The Strategy

GOAT show.

>tfw it's over

Even though Cutler and Crane were assholes, they were right on predicting the future of advertising. They knew the value of television and computers and what advertising would soon become.

Even on this site Crane gets no fucking respect. He was good at his job and wasn't any more of a scumbag than any other character. They just shit on him because money and connections could never make him a chad.

Crane was based.

Real question is what's the best episode? If you say anything other than The Wheel, The Suitcase or Shut the Door, Have a Seat then you should leave.

Signal 30 belongs there too.

you really cant pick best episodes, you can make a list of best moments
youtube.com/watch?v=LCPawawb1Ck

youtube.com/watch?v=cI6v858LeTU

literally the most Kino ending in all of TV history

>not this one
Mad Men was based at season endings.

>No one mentions Ken
I miss Cole Phelps

I actually had this exact sort of idea in my head. An 80s wall street done by the Mad Men writers and designers would be really intriguing, and there's already a huge well of inspiration to draw from (e.g American Psycho)

>you should leave.

We're above such petty bickering in these threads. Those are all great episodes, certainly, but there's so many masterful episodes it's really personal preference. Signal 30, co-written with Cool Hand Luke/Dog Day Afternoon screenwriter is up there for sure. Faraway Places too.

>best character
Hard to choose between Pete, Roger, and Bobby 5.
>worst character
Joan. I used to passionately defend her, but ultimately she's a dumb bitch
>best season
>worst season
>Signal 30
>>It was killing him with its silence and loneliness, making everything ordinary too beautiful to bear
Above line is why Pete is /ourguy/

Because the man was a goddamn haircut.

What are the events in life? It’s like you see a door. The first time you come to it, you say, Oh, what’s on the other side of the door? Then you open a few doors. Then you say, I think I want to go over that bridge this time, I’m tired of doors. Finally you go through one of these things, and you come out the other side, and you realize, that’s all there are, doors, and windows and bridges and gates and they all open the same way and they all close behind you. Look, life is supposed to be a path, and you go along and these things happen to you, and they’re supposed to change you, change your direction. But turns out that’s not true. Turns out the experiences are nothing, they’re just some pennies you pick up off the floor, you stick in your pocket, and you’re just going in a straight line to you know where.

We just gotta wait for Matt Weiner to deliver The Romanoffs.

>Jane. Fuck that cunt. She was basically Betty cranked to eleven but somehow even less interesting.
Jane was a gold-digging child. She ends up being that cunty old rich lady stealing cakes in her purse at the local grocery store.
Betty was based. If you hate Betty you need to go back.

>best char
Pete

>worst char
Everyone except Pete and Don - but especially Ginsberg and Peggy

>best season
first and last

>worst season
something in the middle

youtube.com/watch?v=CPaCKKEisiA

>Best Character
Pic related
>Worst Character
Betty
>Best Season
>Worst Season
>Best Episode
Shut the Door and Have a Seat

>that shot of Don walking away from lit set and into the darkness

Patrician. Weiner said he could've ended the series on that note

>best
peter
>worst
joan
>Season
>Worst

I liked The Crown. First couple of episodes aren't so great though. ACS was also good.

>ACS
?

If Betty is not a turbo slut, then why did she cheat on her new husband with her former husband?

Fuck up cuntrag, the only thing worth reading, writing, or watching is the human heart in conflict with itself and Don Draper had more internal conflict than your little japanese cartoons ever can.
>boo hoo I'm a super-chad
Don might have had great looks and contrived his way into the good life but he knew it was never deserved, never truly earned. As his dad said in his hallucination, he sold bullshit for a living. He had the trappings of a modernized man, but at heart he was just a little boy looking for mom in every hole be it in a woman or in a bottle.

>Skipped the show when it was airing
>Recently watched the entire series
>Enjoyed it a lot
>Can barely remember any details because everything blurred together from watching 10+ eps a day
I fucked up

>best character
Joan
>worst character
Abe
>best season
>worst season
>episode
The Crash probably

youtube.com/watch?v=EO9duFfmKqA

It's a rewarding re-watch

>ACS
cmon man dont use abbreviations

American Crime Story, specifically the People v OJ Simpson

she was a whore
>flirting with another man while pregnant with your husband's child

You cheated yourself out of by far the best threads on Sup Forums too

Holy shit that is such a good combination

Roger best

oop forgot to attach pic

That was pretty good. IDK if anthology shows can connect like Mad Men or the Sopranos did

When I think about women having curves I think of Joan, not season 5 Betty.

Its pretty good but it just doesn't have anywhere near the sophistication or development.

Lee Pace is really cute

Crane was criminally undervalued. Its a long-running joke in the show, as someone living well after the 60's you know how big television advertising became and its funny to see people sweep it aside. Are you dense?

we saw him carry it out of the old office, i assume he brought it home or sold it.

>tfw Pete won

When she turns on Don
"I'm tired of him costing me money"
REEEEEEEEEE

He's the reason why she was rich in the first place! And he's the only one who didn't try to put her in a position where she was pressured to whore herself!

I dont understand the pic

Lee Pace is def the best part of the show.

I know. That's when I immediately hated the bitch

I see two big events in his life in this pic

>best character
Ginsberg
>worst character
Kinsey (Iunno I just fuckin hate that guy)
>best season
>worst season
2 (Betty's arc was absolute shite)
>best episode
The Gypsy and the Hobo

one of the better off the cuff scenes. I wish there was more character between roger and peggy

youtube.com/watch?v=uck3JPRYtIw

u r really dumb

fucking funny pick

>best character
Really obviously Don but I appreciate Sally's arc.
>worst character
fucking Harry Crane
>best season
>worst season
idk, they're all consistently good

Really hard to pin down the best episode but my gut answer is Person to Person.

>leave Chevy to me

>Boo hoo, they need more wrenches or something

Crane was actually good at his job and brought the company money. He was just a perfect example of what Don says to Pete in this scene:
youtube.com/watch?v=7yM5IwUJxiw

Nevermind, that's the wrong clip. It's the scene where he tells him it doesn't matter if he's good at his job, he'll never advance past mid-level if no one likes him.

holy shit young Don. The younger characters like Pete and Peggy are usually noted for how they age throughout the show but I forget how young Don started out