J.J. Abrams and Jordan Peele Team for HBO’s “Lovecraft Country”

>After his father goes missing, Black joins up with his friend Letitia and his Uncle George to embark on a road trip across 1950s Jim Crow America to find him. This begins a struggle to survive and overcome both the racist terrors of white America and the malevolent spirits that could be ripped from a Lovecraft paperback.

bloody-disgusting.com/news/3437786/j-j-abrams-jordan-peele-team-hbos-lovecraft-country/

I KNEW right after i read this that it was gonna be a series. lets see if they can focus more on the lovecraft and less on the rascism as even the book focused waaay to much on it. also cut the voodoo kkk cops please

also this is a mediocre book very pandering and honestly a shit lovecraft book. but it is entertaining to a point lets see if hbo can avoid painting every white person as a soulless hate monger like the book

>plagiarizing Lovecraft, a person capable of creativity unlike Jordan Peele and J.J. Abrams, to promote multiculturalism and dysgenics
I am not even a big fan of Lovecraft but this is just offensive

oh cool a lovecraft ser--

>After his father goes missing, Black joins up with his friend Letitia and his Uncle George to embark on a road trip across 1950s Jim Crow America to find him. This begins a struggle to survive and overcome both the racist terrors of white America
oh okay then

its an originoli story user just a shit fan one. also niggerman film when?

>the racist terrors of white America
Fucking D R O P P E D like a bad habit.

Pretty much how I feel.

>cool a Lovecraft TV show
>surely it will focus on creepy towns and cults and nameless fears etc
>MUH RAYSIS

Never fucking mind, dropped before I even picked it up.

I consider fan fiction plagiarism

same for me

>(((J.J Abrahams))) making sjw garbage.

How can they attach the name Lovecraft to that?.
They have no shame.

Could be pretty solid if the racism angle is handled well, I dont see the issue.

>a Lovecraft tribute that's all about the evils of racism
So are these people trying to make Lovecraft's spirit haunt them? He was a hardcore racist who would've loathed this "tribute".

They probably want revenge or some shit and this is the only way they can do it.

I hope this fucking fails.

They had such a good opportunity to make a proper horror series on HBO, and they fucked it up.

Why base it on some shitty fan fiction BASED on Lovecraft? Why not create a horror anthology series based on Lovecraft's million original works? Fuck this.

I think that's why they're doing it this way.

That's the idea, after this everyone will associate Lovecraft with Anti-white sentiment.

Not to mention it's based in the Jim Crow south. What made Lovecraft's stories so creepy was the setting. Fucking swamp yankee ass blue collar towns in New England full of weird people with deep rooted original colonist blood. I can't wait for caricature old white racist southern dudes with thick glasses and high and tight haircuts pretending to be spooked by "unspeakably horrible monstrosities".

>the racist terrors of white America

I'll make sure not to watch this. Lovecraft is spinning in his grave.

>implying

It's literally going to be Evil Redneck Hillbillies #442

>This begins a struggle to survive and overcome both the racist terrors of white America

Lovecraft fucking hated niggers too. The Jews tackle the legacy of yet another fucking white male

>Take some disadvantaged group of people that we don't like
>Portray them as monsters

So progressive.

I really want to punch something right now.

I really want to.

FUCK

>never mind all the monsters and creatures beyond time itself, the TRUE monsters are the whites!!!!

That last sentence was sarcasm.

It's going to fucking suck and be unoriginal.

yep this is the goal really

to equate UNSPEAKABLE HORRORS with LE 50s JIM CROW WHITE PEOPLE IS DA DEVIl

I bet they'll humanize the actual monsters and show them as actually being oppressed by whites in some way.

There are so many levels of potential in a racial angle on Lovecraft, I may have to seek out the novel.

These.

Why does that fucking mulatto hate half of himself so much? At least Key can poke fun at racism without seeming so fucking intolerable.

Cthulhu dindu nuffin

he a good boy

seek out some draino and gargle it while you're at it faggot

Lovecraft already has a racial angle.

Nyarlathotep was getting his life back together, he just need more money for dem programs.

>Why does that fucking mulatto hate half of himself so much?

Standard mulatto identity crisis, i.e. "I must throw myself headfirst into everything and anything race-related to prove how black I am".

Seriously throw a dart at a famous mulatto (Halle Berry, Barack Obama, Alicia Keyes etc) and you're bound to find some LARPy quotes about how black they are and how their life has been defined by "the struggle"

>This begins a struggle to survive and overcome both the racist terrors of white America

Is Jordan Peele going to be our generation's Spike Lee?
>Wherever I direct, I must also make hamfisted commentary on American race relations

pussy.
i want to see poe's gold bug with jupiter HOLY SHIT

DUDE WHITE PEOPLE ARE THE TRUE ULTIMATE AND UNDYING EVIL LMAO

these posts are spot on. i can see it a mile away,

It does seem likely that they are intentionally doing this to spite his racist legacy, or try to somehow undo it by using his name and creativity to make a lazy commentary on racism. It's weirdly paradoxical because they obviously look up to him to some extent as an artist, but they also hate him because of their obsessions with racism. So, lacking any creative spark of their own, they just steal his original ideas and dress them up in their own ideology like a costume. Expect it to miss the mark both as a commentary on race, and as an adaptation of Lovecraft.

This post gives me hope that there still are genuinely funny posters on Sup Forums. Meta.

>Main character is named Black
>Lovecraft's cat was named NIGGER

POTTERY

On the Creation of Niggers (1912)
by H. P. Lovecraft

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

iirc his cat was named niggerman

Lovecraft literally designed his universe so other people could write about it

>conceiv'd
What did he mean by this? The e in conceived is already silent. There's no need for the omission.

didn't lovecraft hate black people?

In the past, the -ed past tense ending was always pronounced as its own syllable. Eventually this started to fall away and a situation in which either the old pronunciation or the modern pronunciation was acceptable. In poetry, to fit the meter, authors specified which pronunciation they intended by utilizing the apostrophe. By convention this practice stuck around after the old pronunciation ceased to be used in normal speech.

Yeah. A lot of his stories were about miscegenation or savage black tribes

>he liked to talk olden style

>The match had been between Kid O'Brien -- a lubberly and now quaking youth with a most un-Hibernian hooked nose -- and Buck Robinson, "The Harlem Smoke." The negro had been knocked out, and a moment's examination shewed us that he would permanently remain so. He was a loathsome, gorilla-like thing, with abnormally long arms which I could not help calling fore legs, and a face that conjured up thoughts of unspeakable Congo secrets and tom-tom poundings under an eerie moon. The body must have looked even worse in life -- but the world holds many ugly things.

What did he mean by this?

>implying Lovecraft wrote fiction

nigs are ugly

>J.J. Abrams
>Lovecraft
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo leave just one good fictional universe be, JJ!

wait so lovecraft finally gets a show and it's going to be all about captain heeb inserting racial politics? JUST.

>a most un-Hibernian hooked nose

Lol.

>Of the complete biological inferiority of the negro there can be no question he has anatomical features consistently varying from those of other stocks, and always in the direction of the lower primates... Equally inferior and perhaps even more so is the Australian black stock, which differs widely from the real negro. In dealing with these two black races, there is only one sound attitude for any other race (be it white, Indian, Malay, Polynesian, or Mongolian) to take and that is to prevent admixture as completely and determinedly as it can be prevented, through the establishment of a colour line and the rigid forcing of all mixed offspring below that line.

Hmmm... really makes you think

I know right.
Mother fucker is ruining every single thing.

With this it will be 3 in a row.

Neat, it's still plagiarism

The funny thing about Lovecraft is that he was the hilarious kind of racist, the one that will hate on mexicans, SE asians, greeks, italians, irish and jews just as much as niggers.

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU GOD DAMMIT ITS NOT FAIR!!!!!

Never should have brought them over in the first place tbqh

>and a face that conjured up thoughts of unspeakable Congo secrets and tom-tom poundings under an eerie moon
This unironically made me think of Boyega.

Nice, another book/show I don't have to read or watch

What can stop him?

kek me too

Look, I have no problem admitting that Lovecraft was racist and xenophobic, and I think it's important that those aspect of his writing aren't complelty ignored when talking about him.

But fuck me, it feels like everyone picked up on one of the most obvious things in his writing and parades it around like they're some genius. His racial shit was a PART of SOME of his stories, and it's such a fucking simplification to view them all through the racism lens. It was also by far the least interesting parts of what he wrote. Also, the south? The fucking south? I don't think I've ever read a Lovecraft story even mentionening the south. Ten bucks says they're going to do some fucking bog-standard creepy southern hillbillies and slap some token lovecraft shit in there.

>author makes it a point to put most of his stories in New England and other old colonial cities because of the atmosphere he could evoke there
>MUH SOUTH MUH RACISM
They're not even trying, every real Lovecraft fan knows it's all about the forgotten states no one gives a shit about.

>after all of these years we still haven't gotten a big H.P. Lovecraft from Hollywood
>but we're getting an adaptation of some fanfic bullshit
This is fucking infuriating. He's THE most influential horror writer of the last century but continues to be ignored by Hollywood.

Jew Jew Abraham

Why do black directors define themselves by race so much?

Some of them are talented but they waste it by confining themselves to this racial preaching

because he was red pilled on the JQ

>Ten bucks says they're going to do some fucking bog-standard creepy southern hillbillies and slap some token lovecraft shit in there.
It's so obvious and lazy. They are both going to miss the point of Lovecraft, and fail to say anything interesting or subtle about race. It's just going to be "southern white racists baaaaad" and then some spooky monsters.

>I don't think I've ever read a Lovecraft story even mentionening the south.

There is a section in The Call of Cthulhu dealing with a cult in the swamps of Louisiana.

>That one Lovecraft story where the horrific twist at the end is that basically the protagonist discoveres he is descended from an albino nigger.

>Louisiana
Which is still more interesting due to the colonial origins of the state and its mixed french-english heritage other than "muh hillbillies".
Not to mention all the Santeria shit you can use with blacks.

It was a cult of "swarthy" people acting like savage animals, if I recall correctly.

Reminder the World Fantasy Awards stopped using H.P. Lovecraft busts as their trophies because some young adult hack was able to get less than 3,000 signatures on a shitty online petition.

A few times I've been tempted to start a counter petition but laziness has always gotten the better of me. Should I do it?

He actually didn't mind Jews very much, for a racist.

>after all of these years we still haven't gotten a big H.P. Lovecraft from Hollywood
Might be a good thing, actually. I have almost zero faith in Hollywood to be able to do Lovecraft right. To do Lovecraft right you'd have to really follow the text closely. No love scenes. No humor. Probably a bookish protagonist. Very intellectual vibe.

Yeah it's nothing like what this show appears to be going for. I was just pointing out that he does mention the South at least once.

That trophy makes him look like a bug-eyed nigger

I'm still mad. He renounced his racism later in life and yet people still remember him for it.

He was disgusted by everyone except anglo-saxons.

He was married to a jewish woman for Pete's sake.

>father goes missing
>name is Black

pottery, shame about them ruining Lovecraft though. More Cthulu, less nigger

Start a counter petition. No seriously, it could work. Have it focus on how he deserves to be recognized for being so incredibly influential. You could probably get over 3,000 signatures by shilling it on here and Sup Forums.

Honestly it being the 1950s is a much bigger problem for me than it being in the South

This is ironic given how racist Lovecraft was

No wonder he saw and wrote of so many horrors.

Yeah, and you're only the 20th person to make this observation. Read the thread before posting, nigger.

>JJ Abrams

It's not that bad. I used to fuck a jewish girl... hottest sex I've ever had. She's a freak.

how to get jewish gf?

What annoys me most is that the award could be the perfecet platform to reject his views on. You could take it and say we choose to remember him for his writing, not his xenophobia. We don't need to hide or obscure his racism, we can bring it out fully, and say that we chose to honor his writing, not his worldview.

For fucks sake, the recipient last time was a black woman. How is that not the perfect example of what I'm talking about?

Who even cares if he renounced it or not? People act like not liking niggers the worst most evil thing you could possibly do. You could have a serial killer or some dictator's (Hitler excluded of course) mug on your award and people would be less butthurt about it. So HP didn't like nogs, big fucking deal.

>J.J. Abrams and Jordan Peele

HOLLYWOOD
FUCKING
STOP

/STOP/

Will this be another episode of blacks did nothing wrong?

>Lovecraft Country

WHAT? HOLY SHIT THIS IS--

>JJ Abrams

It's shit. It's going to be absolute garbage and yet another white people are horrible propaganda piece.

As fun as knee-jerk reactions based on press releases are, has anyone read the book this is based on? It would be nice to get a rational response to this.