Am I the only one who actually liked this?

Am I the only one who actually liked this?

Other urls found in this thread:

scotsman.com/lifestyle/rubbernecker-1-463782
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I watched the first episode and I'm genuinely curious what did you like about it?

Genuinely sweet/funny/light moments between Derek and Hannah. Also Karl Pilkington being Karl was pretty funny.

The rest of the characters were shit, though, and the pacing of the show sucked.

I was really thrown off by Gervais acting like a mentally disabled person. Something about it was too weird.

>DUDE IM NOT JUST A "BANTER-MASTER GENIUS MASTERMIND" IM ALSO A SERIOUS FILMAKER AUTHEUR LOOK AT THIS, DON'T YOU PITY EVEYTHING LMAO

No thank you senpai.

Yes I believe so.

My mom likes it

It's the role he was born to play

one of the most emotionally manipulative things i've ever seen. absolute trash, honestly.

It was nice to see him do something with a shred of sincerity for once; it's clear that his heart was in the right place. It's just a shame that it turned out to be shit.

>that "emotional" scene where this retards cries and whines about something
The single worst, most embarrassing thing I have ever seen

The opposite is true. Derek is only funny if you imagine Gervais's black-eyed, sociopathic laughter as he watches it in the edit suite. The sentimentality is a cynic's joke on the idea of warmth. At the time he made it, there was a big trend in British comedy for warm sitcoms with studio audiences. Gervais couldn't really adjust to this - he was now the old guard, the previous era. So he responded with a show based on a "mong" impression he used to do in his early stand-up, during which he reportedly used to crack himself up like Sam Hyde. An idea of the material is given in this review:

scotsman.com/lifestyle/rubbernecker-1-463782

- very clearly "un-PC" spastics-mocking humour, in the great tradition of working-class British playground bullying. His revival of the character in heartwarming mode with deliberately hack music choices was the ultimate self-indulgence - humour you have to be as sick as Ricky to get.

Easily the worst show I have ever seen.

Laughed every time a Coldplay song started playing.

>that retarded face

nope nope nope

>humour you have to be as sick as Ricky to get
Guess I have to watch this now

I've always been on the fence in regards to Ricky's intention behind the show, but I tend to lean towards his genuine sincerity. If you see what he's become on social media with his "activism" and moral grandstanding I think he's simply disappeared too far into himself.

The only times he retains part of his old vicious, cynical self is when he hosts the Golden Globes, which shows that he's not all the way gone.

It was OK, Karl was the best part

Cringed at him playing fucking coldplay over a scene to try and force the audience to get emotional. It's the kind of thing the Gervais of 10 years ago would have mocked

Are you an Atheist?

Well it's obviously satire

I don't know anyone can possibly think any of it is sincere, it's all just Brent-style gestures to me.

He's mocking it now, use your brain. It's pure misanthropy.

>just pretending to be retarded

The far more likely explanation is that Gervais has lost touch and has slowly became everything he used to hate

He's a narcissist that needs to be praised at every turn, Derek exists as a way for him to bathe in the praise from critics.

Hell look at him on Twitter, he's desperate for people to tell him how great he is and even goes as far as searching his own name to respond to criticism that doesn't even tag him

Taking a quote out of context from a negative review and passing it off as praise was hilariously pathetic too

Because this is exactly the kind of sincerity you get from Ricky Gervais. Look at The Invention of Lying for example. There are scenes that are so blatantly emotionally manipulative that it makes me cringe, like when his mother is on her deathbed. Now he's been encouraged so much that he has no filter or self-awareness.

No, that's not likely at all. I say this as someone who has always hated his work. Derek is a reflection of his psychopathic worldview. Derek is what he thinks "heartwarming" is, but he has contempt for it - it's not being done in good faith.

The Invention of Lying was his attempt to appeal to Americans. He has never been sincere in his life. That entire film is about how everything but unpleasantness is pretense.

I watched the first episode, it wasn't funny but it had heart. Not sure how you could watch it and dismiss that Ricky Gervais is just doing a retard face the whole time and trying to play it off as sincere

Because it's too much like the real him.

>it had heart

You're the kind of person it's laughing it, too fucking thick to know a psychopath when you see one.

It's because it's a sick joke he's doing straight because he can't use any Merchant material, and it was Merchant's perspective on Gervais's disingenuousness that generated anything defensible about their past work.

>FUCK YOU STEPHEN MERCHANT IM GOING TO SINGLEHANDELDLY CONQUER THE HEARTS OF THE WORLD AND PRETEND THAT ITS ALL SATIRE IF SOMEONE SEES TROUGH MY INTENTIONS: THE SERIES

never again

The main point is, he himself is heartless. It's a heartless man's idea of "heart", that's why it's so dreadful - he can't do feelings. I'm not saying it's satire - nobody's meant to be able to see the joke but him.

I watched the first episode of the second season and stopped because of how fucking bad the 'sweet' moments were.

>Derek make a list of things you want for your birthday

>I want hannah to be happy because she works hard

jesus christ.

Also fucking Gervais makes the fucking retard an atheist.

Just fucking bad tv.

Ricky Gervais doesn't have a sincere bone in his body.

This is hands down the most uncomfortable thing I've ever watched in my life.