Can we take a break from politics, cucks, and capeshit?

Can we take a break from politics, cucks, and capeshit?
Classic film thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NFFEL6A6B_g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

was kinda hoping there'd be a classic film thread tonight, they're always top tier comfy

Rita is legit one of my favorite women ever.
I didn't think she'd be such a good actress, since she seemed famous because of her pinup status.

Also, I wish I knew more about her marriage with Orson.

great movie

Holiday is better.

The Awful Truth is best

Slightly, yes. I have it tied with Bringing Up Baby.
I still haven't seen it. Haven't seen any Irene kino.

>I still haven't seen it.
It's really good, man. Ralph Bellamy is hilarious in it. It's my favorite Cary Grant rom com.

Maybe I was in a weird mood, but I didn't really like it.

I'll be honest. The first time I saw it, I only sort of liked it. I gave it another shot later and I absolutely loved it. I have no idea what changed.

Meanwhile, I still don't love Bringing Up Baby after having seen it three times, so I don't know.

God damn, this was hot.

Show Boat is pretty great... except her singing is.. well.. .. uhh....

I got the DVD, so I'll probably give it another watch eventually.
I just remember it being a bit mean-spirited.

I've honestly never loved Bringing Up Baby. Parts of it are really great, but I always thought it was overrated (I hate that word, but I can't think of a better one).
There are MUCH better slapsticks... Arsenic and Old Lace?

I agree. Barbara didn't have the greatest face, but she didn't need it. I was diamonds during that scene.

>I just remember it being a bit mean-spirited.
How do you mean?

It's been years since I watched it.
But I don't remember it being very funny, and I mainly just remember them being kind of hateful to each other.

They do yell at each other a lot, but I sure do enjoy it.

Ever seen Adam's Rib?

Should I watch 'Where the Sidewalk Ends' or 'Curse of the Demon'?

>Show Boat is pretty great... except her singing is.. well.. .. uhh....
I really dig 30s musicals. I also think that's the movie with "Ol' Man Riverrr"(?). I'll get over her singing.

Is Hitchcock relevant ITT? I rewatched Vertigo last night and affirmed my dislike of it. I can't really dress it up, I just think the plot is a mess and the characters act in whatever way the plot calls for. Stewart is a flatline and Novak is distant in a way that isn't quite covered by her character. Geddes is the only one who seems to have any free rein and is the most believable as a result.

Rope is my favourite of his films so I do have a preference for his smaller ones but it's like he was instructed to be 'more Hitchcock' so he put everything he could think of in there.

I also have a strange question: Is anyone familiar with Ray Milland's work outside of Dial M For Murder? I am in love with the staccato way he delivers his lines and was hoping it was his 'thing' but in the others I have checked out he speaks quite normally. Is there another movie where he speaks like that? Here's a good clip:

youtube.com/watch?v=NFFEL6A6B_g

The way he sort of revs up each line and lets it die is completely mesmerising.

Oh yeah. I expected it to be funnier, I wasn't expecting a serious murder thing. I thought the message was a little bit dated, about courts being biased against women or something. I'm not sure that's still the case. Maybe at the time I would have enjoyed it more.

Haven't seen Sidewalk, but I can tell you that the demon in Curse is a pretty cool looking monster.

I like Dana for The Best Years of Our Lives. That's one of the best movies I've ever seen.

YES.
Her singing is very much in tune with the times.. that warbling tone that makes your ears bleed (and reminds me of my grandmother)
But, holy goddamn fuck, that Old Man River rendition literally brought tears to my eyes when he really starts to get into it. It was shocking.
I had always heard of that song as a joke.. but damn..

>I rewatched Vertigo last night and affirmed my dislike of it
God, ain't that the truth. Exposition for hours and some driving around, so dull. Not to mention the totally abrupt and unrewarding ending.
> Is anyone familiar with Ray Milland's work outside of Dial M For Murder?
He is really good in The Lost Weekend from what I remember. I loved him in Dial M for Murder, love his opening scenes.

The movie's worth watching just for that Ol' Man River, I think.

Vertigo is a movie you have to be in the right mood for. It is very slow, but it's the dreamlike pacing that people like about it. You really have to let yourself be taken along for the ride. I love it more and more as time goes by.

ugh.. Vertigo.. .. ugh.. I dont even want to talk about it...

Rope is fucking great though.

Rear Window, Strangers On A Train, and Rebecca are still all tied for my favorite Hitchcocks though..

I still havn't watched Dial M for Murder and I feel really annoyed about it...

Agreed 100%.. its pretty much the only thing I remember from the movie.

I love Irene Carey!

Anyone seen this one?
I only got to see the first 20 minutes, I'll watch it all soon.
I didn't know Shirley Temple was so attractive.

I meant to watch it a few times, but never got to it. Nobody really talks about it, but I love Cary Grant and Myrna Loy. And yeah, Shirley got hot in her teens.

Anyone know of any awesome disaster movies like San Francisco?

I went into the movie completely ignorant and was blown away by the special effects at the end. That shit was fucking crazy and I'd love to see more old movies like it.

I only know of that movie because of the "you remind me of the babe, what babe" part that David Bowie "stole" for the song in Labyrinth.. I keep meaning to watch it.

Watching The Night of the Hunter, Robert Mitchum is killing it.

I loved The Apartment. Can you recommend anything like it?

There aren't many movies that strike such a perfect tone. Maybe Woody Allen's Manhattan is sort of close.

Fun fact, the studio wanted Groucho Marx to play Dr. Dreyfuss.

not really.. but if you like Shirley Maclaine I would recommend The Trouble With Harry, which is a SERIOUSLY UNDERRATED Hitchcock movie... and the Bliss Of Mrs Blossom just for the ridiculous hell of it..

The Trouble With Harry is underrated. I enjoyed it a lot.

I don't understand why it's so forgotten.. I don't even understand why I keep forgetting it. Its so freaking funny.

thanks guys, I'll check em out

Whats the best Marx brothers movies?

I don't remember too much about it. Just that I laughed a lot. I should see it again sometime.

Duck Soup. Easily. Then depended on whether you favor zaniness over plot, Horse Feathers or A Night at the Opera. A lot of people tend to discount the later ones, and I haven't seen all of them, but I've never seen a Marx Brothers movie I didn't like. There's one where Groucho's running a mall or something. It's supposed to be one of the lesser ones, but I still loved it.

Any movies like Ball Of Fire?
I love it.

Why didn't the Coop start sucking on her toes in this scene?

Pretty sure Orson made her dye her hair blonde for that as revenge because they'd divorced.

Cool, thanks. I'll watch that one first then.
My only exposure to the Marx Bros is from Bugs Bunny... and that one episode of I Love Lucy...
Them and Laurel and Hardy are a gap I really need to fill in at some point...
.. what's the best Laurel and Hardy Movie?

That's another easy one. Sons of the Desert. It's their only truly great feature film. Most of their essential stuff are short films.

Sons of the Desert.

I really like that movie. But it was a serious stretch of "suspension of disbelief" to see him as an intellectual.

Cool, thanks.
>Soon I will be more than just a Stooges stooge...

>...just trying to keep thread alive

Who's your favorite character actor?
Seen any good movies thanks to them?

I really like Thelma Ritter. First saw her in Rear Window as the nurse. And recently I watched "The Mating Season" because she was in it (I think it was on Amazon), which was a pretty damn decent romantic comedy that I wish was on dvd. I also watched an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents with her starring called "The Baby Sitter", and it was disturbing as hell.

Please don't die comfy classic film thread.

assholes

I watched Suspicion the other day, was disappointed.
Good performances though

post pre code kino

Goddamn this shit was depressing.

Darn, I was looking forward to it. Only Grant/Hitchcock teamup I've yet to see.

Why do actors in the 50s look so alpha?
And most new actors nowadays look so beta.

Best L&H is either Way Out West or Beau Hunks imo. Popular consensus is generally Sons of the Desert and Music Box though.

I fucking love that film. 10/10. Ozu stole the story for Tokyo Story because he had the poster in his bedroom.

I was trying to think if it's society or just the way people look/style were responsible. Girl actresses look different too. Maybe it's just the hair.

+1 good actress. also in How the West was won, Miracle on 34th st.

I like Patsy Kelly.

The Wrong Man has some really nice shots.
Rope is also good with the usage of space. Is there any movie that does the same concept with only one room?