/who/ - Doctor Who General

Holy shit we almost died and we're STILL BLIND edition.

Last time:

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12981859
jonfwilkins.com/2014/11/the-weird-racism-of-doctor-who/
thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/3586859/comedian-richard-ayoade-surprise-contender-to-replace-peter-capaldi-as-doctor-who-in-long-running-bbc-hit-show/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

REMINDER

le blindwave dalek reaction is on channel btw

strawpoll.me/12981859
strawpoll.me/12981859
strawpoll.me/12981859

He's not going to kill Bill, it would contradict pretty much everything he's trying to do with her (and he literally just did the companion death storyline, he couldn't even go through with it then). Moffat would only kill a companion if he was trying to say something about them and they were no longer a viewpoint character. Bill is supposed to be us learning about the Doctor again through her eyes, including how scary he is. It would make sense to culminate with someone else dying e.g. Nardole, but not with Bill herself getting whacked after a short as fuck run. Also it would be a terrible look for the first PoC companion in a decade and first gay one ever to just wind up dead straight away. Imagine being a kid who has a rare chance to identify the marginalised parts of themselves in the lead on Doctor Who, feel like they wouldn't be implicitly excluded or sidelined in this universe, and then having to just watch them get killed and be dead forever to stoke other characters' angst. Total balltap.

>strawpoll.me/12981859
Which moron voted for TGWD?

i really hope that spoilered bit is some kind of hilarious tumblr pastiche and you're not seriously trying to argue that minority characters shouldn't be killed off

R E M I N D E R

what happened to her?

Lord President up until the Time War. Killed either by the Daleks or Rassilon.

I can definitely see the logic of that spoilered bit

It's not that you shouldn't be killing off minority characters, but it looks pretty bad when you let a bunch of straight white companions live, and then kill off the black lesbian. I think it does send a message to the audience, intentional or not.

I don't think it would be the worst thing ever, just a bit unfortunate

>minority characters shouldn't be killed off
I know you types like to subtract the elements of context and time, but the argument was actually "the rarity of minority lead companions shouldn't be compounded by having them be treated dismissively in the brief instances they actually do turn up".
And despite all his equivocating rhetoric I'd bet you a tenner Moffat actually agrees, because he understands that this is a show for children. If the show, to use his words, 'does better' in amending the rarity and its exclusionary effect, then by all means it should kill, erase and shit on whoever it likes.

You should have enough minority characters that you can kill some of them off without controversy.

There a youtube link you can share of their reaction?

Yeah he's pretty good in it

Refer to Although it looks like your post provoked a spam attack so well done.

What did she mean by this?

>tfw even my loser friends take the piss out of me now

>tfw will never be seduced by a Sacha Doctor

Finished City At World's End.

I was worried it wouldn't have the guts to do what I thought it was doing, but luckily it pulled through and delivered a wonderfully chilling end. My only complaint is that the author seemed a little too "twist" crazy there at the end; Monitor's betrayal felt tacked on for the shock value alone and didn't add much to the narrative.

I've started The Witch Hunters. The format is kind of throwing me for a loop.

blues are degenerate savages

I agree that red kangs are best kangs

Because he was a pretty shitty Master. I mean, I'd honestly put Eric Roberts above him and he was also a pretty shitty master.

John Simm lacked the sense of showmanship and menace and ended up a british joker mostly.

>strawpoll.me/12981859
This is clearly a joke, right? Mummy and Oxygen blow TGWD out of the fucking water. How in the hell did TGWD get such a huge majority?

mah bligga

some hilarious joker with a bot

it only got 1 legit vote

>272 votes
It's spam m8, no midweek /who/ poll gets that many votes.

I liked the blue guy racist thing, thought it was quite funny and light-hearted. The all-too-familiar "I know lots of blue people" line especially.

Hint: The majority occurred over the space of about 2 minutes. And there were not 324 unique IPs in this or last thread

Thank fuck, I thought I was going mad for a second there.

Also, been away for a while. I expect Oxygen went down well on here? Best episode so far this series in my opinion.

ye, good ep.

Very well received. Only true complaints were over some of the hamfisted capitalism is bad dialogue.

Even then, it seemed less 'Capitalism is bad' and more 'This it utterly unchecked, immoral capitalism'. Not that capitalism itself is evil and more the invisible hand of the market is going to flip you off.

It was gotfags upvoting their Quasimodo.

>swn succ the ding dong

Yeah, it didn't feel hamfisted to me at all. If Chibbers has any sense he'll keep Mathieson on. He's delivered possibly the best, consistently good scripts since he started.

>Gaypiss not getting a call

If you're a doctor, why does your box say "police"?

>City At World's End
>The Doctor and his two companions travel to Arkhaven. It is one of the last cities on a doomed alien planet...

This is exactly the kind of Doctor Who concept I love

>If Chibbers has any sense he'll keep Mathieson on

>The phone hasn't rung and I don't think it will. My understanding is that Chris is sticking with a team he's got used to working with on Broadchurch. Which makes absolute sense and frankly why wouldn't you? I am looking forward to seeing how he writes for the Doctor we leave him with, which I understand from Steven will still be blind, cursed to continually hop on one leg and unable to speak in anything but rhyming couplet.

It's over senpai.

How can Gatiss be so shit? The 50th anniversary documentary was so good, and I loved The Unquiet Dead, and his work on Sherlock, but his Who episodes have been dire.

I call bullshit.
There's "soft reboot" and there's madness. If Chibbers gets in whole new writers, it could be SO hit or miss. Best to keep at least one or two writers who did good under RTD or Moff.

/who/ is hyped for Saturday Popekino??

>How can Gatiss be so shit? The 50th anniversary documentary was so good, and I loved The Unquiet Dead, and his work on Sherlock, but his Who episodes have been dire.

Some people just write better for different genres I suppose

Too bad the Doctor can't watch it :(

Edge cheer me up ;(

>his work on Sherlock

Even the Six Thatchers?

I'm here for you buddy

It was grand, and it really is the end of the world. There's no dues ex Machina at the end which saves the planet; it's well and truly destroyed, and the tension is palpable throughout. I strongly recommend it.

I SEE THE GIRLS WALK BY DRESSED IN THEIR SUMMER CLOTHES

I think it says a lot that Gatiss' best (and IMO only truly good episode) aied 12 years ago. I'll never understand why Moff kept bringing him back.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong and Empress will be GOAT, but I doubt that.

He kept bringing him back because they are literally best mates.

>I'll never understand why Moff kept bringing him back.

Because he's like Moffat's best friend

To be honest, the entire last series of Sherlock was shit. Time they moved on.

Gatiss should be involved in Who in some way. He loves it, knows everything about it, but somehow his episodes are always a bit shit. He should either try harder or indeed stick to spin-off documentary dramas or something. Really not looking forward to the Ice Warriors episode he did coming up.

Yeah series 4 was pretty bad. Didn't feel like the same show at all.

You can really tell that they're cousins sometimes.

How were they cousins but hadn't even met until working together?

I have cousins I've never met.

>Of course we should really address the other big promised reveal of the episode: the mystery of what’s inside the vault. Now for fans who have theorised something outlandish, it’s best to keep your expectations in check and think simple to avoid feelings of a let down. There’s still a chance that Moffat is pulling the wool over fans’ eyes and it’s not quite as straightforward as it seems, but presented as is, it’s a bit underwhelming. But at least it’s something occurring now, rather than dragging it out until the finale.

>The main foes, the Monks, are a fantastically sinister and intimidating foe, not dissimilar to the Silents. Crucially they’re really the biggest monster of Series 10 that isn’t simply some sort of misunderstood being, or has some other explanation for their evil. For this part at least, they just want to take over Earth and have been planning it for a long, long time.

Did anybody honestly expect it not to be missy?

why is the moffat era so bad at period pieces?

when you compare eps like unquiet dead, empty child, tooth & claw, girl in the fireplace, family of blood etc. to victory of the daleks, snowmen, crimson horror, thin ice the characters in the latter always seem to have this sort of caricatured feel... is it just me? it's telling that the only historical figure i think has been done justice in moffat's run is van gogh when the rtd era gave us memorable, fairly believable interpretations of dickens, reinette, victoria, agatha christie

>Fans, excite yourself less. It isn't the job of the show to keep you happy and deliver a satisfying narrative; you have to do that for yourself! Try and compromise for yourself.

>wtf why would you think the vault would have something outlandish in it? its not like it's been hyped up for half a series

dead bluer storage

It's not unheard of, geography and family squabbles can play a part. I have an uncle who migrated somewhere just after I was born, the family then lost track as he was moving around. I've never met him and, if he ever had a family, any of my potential cousins either.

The reviews keep teasing the fact that at one point the episode flits to a "far-off planet/alternate place entirely", do we think it's Gallifrey, /who/? May be the Doctor/Master flashback

It's Equestria. Moffat has been wanting to do this crossover for a long time.

Britain is weird about travel. They consider the kind of trip I'd spend a single Saturday on to be a drive worthy of a vacation and weeks of planning.

nah. I assume it's that planet with those dudes with the tridents, and it doesnt look very gallifreyan to me

>thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/3586859/comedian-richard-ayoade-surprise-contender-to-replace-peter-capaldi-as-doctor-who-in-long-running-bbc-hit-show/

FUCK

>its not like it's been hyped up for half a series
The question was 'The Doctor has something or someone in his vault'. The nature of who this was was gradually hinted at over 5 episodes. The most likely answer is that it heralds the return of his dangerous arch nemesis, a rival Time Lord. I don't really see what's unreasonable here desu.
If it wasn't for the David Bradley rumour circus no-one would even have put unrealistic expectations on it in the first place

Anyone expecting something other than Missy will be sorely disappointed.

Moffat will have pulled that exact shit for two series now. The Hybrid arc was horribly underwhelming and made little narrative sense.

When I came to britain, I realised how shit there roads and public transport systems are, so I can understand why they are reluctant about travel. But they're still a bit over the top about (relatively) short journeys

heard this one thrown around before, would unironically love it

>Moffat will have pulled that exact shit for two series now.
try 4

the impossible girl is quite possibly the worst arc in nu who, and the s6 arc still makes me cringe to this day

Nah The Lying Detective was fucking great but the other two were shit

He's presenting The Crystal Maze, I doubt it.

i've met my aunt many times but never seen her kids

Ah, yeah, you know what, you're right.

I really enjoyed the first half of S6 (especially TIA/DotM and AGMGTW), but the resolution was shit.

lots of planets have a police

I'm pretty sure I saw an interview or something once where he said he had absolutely no interest in Doctor Who, and didn't want to get any fans hopes up. Can't remember where I saw that.

Will Big Finish kill her off?

The hybrid being basically nothing was infuriating.
>oh course the hybrid is le wacky British man on Gallifrey waving his screwdriver around and making jokes with Clara
>omg it's teh Gallifrey
>sees a white man, turns him black
>it's your dad's TARDIS lol
>le Me
>omg are they together forever in a box squee
>buy this new sonic
>le fat lezzies reaction video "oh baby..."

I agree completely with what you said, but let's not forget Shakespeare. What a horrible choice of actor and character.

probably has something to do with catpiss getting all the historicals now, rather than moffat himself. god catpiss is fucking awful

implying Moffat isnt terrible at period
Cats, you just feel dumber and dumber as the days pass

The Vatican text is written by Peter Harness.

Hm. I dunno. I kind of doubt it; if they do, it'll be in a way where she's easily resurrected either for more BF or the new series somewhere down the line.

Hell Bent arguably the worst finale, second only to Last of the Time Lords.

???

i cant be too dumb because i haven't fallen to the point of enjoying rtd's stories yet