Dark/Horror/Character Study Flicks

Name a better revenge film than pic related.

What character study was there in that film? Not even trying to be edgy. The bad guy is a vicious monster from start to finish. We only know the bare minimum about the protagonist, he feels sad about the horrible death of his gf and he goes on a violent rampage after the killer against that.

But that's it, neither character grows, or changes, it's just about inflicting more and more pain. We really don't get a sense of any development of the protagonists or antagonist's inner life.

All of them?

That piece of shit (along with A Bittersweet Life) is like the epitome of all complaints people have made against modern korean films. Edgy, vapid, pointless and shallow.

/thread

>confessions

lmao

So I just watched this, and a handful of other korean movies.
I noticed a common thing that most of these movies have.
Why do Korean movies always make their police look like incompetent fucking idiots?

The thread itself is broad but I wanted to talk about this one flick. Plus there's plenty of character shifting in ISTD. Primarily and exclusively with the main protagonist:

Lee Byung-Hun's character changes from a cool, confident spy into an empty monster, that which he spends the entire film tormenting. This is especially evident in the final sequence of the film when he listens to the final words of his fiance's killer through his headphones. He feels that this will give him some semblance of satisfaction and closure. Instead he feels the opposite when the killers family reacts with shock and terror. Hun's character has inflicted the same damage to others that he was himself victimized by. His laughter and sobbing indicate that he is no longer spiraling downward, he has already hit the bottom and completely lost.

So you know what, fuck you. fuck you for shitting on this film without making the attempt to look past the action side of this movie.

it's not even the best korean revenge flick

What is?

mysides dot webbem

I fell in love with Lady Vengeance

shut the fuck up

Doesn't sound like a pleasant experience.

If you haven't seen Bone Tomahawk yet, please do. That scene doesn't really ruin anything.

Trying to catch up with the Korean movies lately.

Quite liked The Wailing when it comes to the horror genre.

Worst of the trilogy imo

I think generally korean and sometimes all east asian movies are much more likely to incorporate broad slapstick humor into a dark drama. Whereas in the west only very low key dry humor gets written into dramas.

I don't mean in a funny way. They make their cops look like complete fucking idiots even in dramatic and serious moments in the movies.

this movie is so fucking lame

Is Sleep Tight literally beta uprising: the kino?

I would lick that milk clean off the table