Alien:Covenant

I just got out of the theater from seeing this at the early Thursday showing before it's released tomorrow here in the States and honestly as a avid long time Alien fan this movie was just Meh.

Was it better than Prometheus? Hell yea! Was it better than the other 4 Alien films. FUCK NO! Expect something better than Prometheus but worse than Alien 3 and Alien:Resurrection.

I thought it just felt like Prometheus 2 except xenos turn up. Had a lot of the same problems with character development and pacing.
The little white xenos were much more interesting than the actual ones. They seemed deadlier at every stage of the lifecycle too.
Ultimately it was just not that great a movie really, but you're fucking nuts to say it was worse than Alien: Resurrection.

what if you have never watched any of the movies but want to see this one ?

It references Prometheus heavily and you'll be pretty lost without having seen it.
I don't think there's much to get out of the movie if you're not a big Alien fan, though some things might not piss you off as much.

Glad I didn't see it, Ridley has fallen from grace.

>worse than Alien 3 and Alien:Resurrection.
Resurrection was complete ASS

This is easily the most reasonable reaction to voting a film that's not that good

Agreed.

>Alien 3 was good
>The SW prequels were good

I'm starting to think that in a few years, Sup Forums is going to start calling the Hobbit movies "underrated gems".

but they are.

just saw it. god damn it sucked so fucking hard.

Fassbender single handily made the movie amazing to watch.

When he started playing the Prometheus theme on the flute, I broke a smile.

I miss great musical callbacks

>Release two scenes as "prologues" on Youtube early for hype
>One is continuation from Prometheus and the other is the introduction to all the characters
>Neither of which are in the movie
>The only scene with character building isn't in the movie
>James Franco dies within the first 5 minutes and his only lines are from an old Ipad video
>None of the questions from Prometheus are answered or even reintroduced in any way; infact they're forgotten and discarded
>BIG FUCKING SPOILER: seriously Elizabeth Shaw is killed offscreen by David for unknown reasons and is never explored

These are some of the most perplexing creative decisions I have ever seen. Easily the worst by a capable director in recent memory.

I completely forgot about that James Franco thing since he's on-screen for about ten seconds. That was really jarring in a movie that mostly didn't have well known actors in it.

what are you retarded, she was killed to further David's experiments because she was the only living thing left to experiment on

His creative impulses were stronger than his love for her.

all I wanted from this movie was for David to turn Shaw into some kind of 90's hentai birthing queen abomination

and it kind of delivered so this movie is alright by me, would have preferred if she was still alive begging for death but I'll take what I got

How did he have eggs but no queen?

Where did the embryos come from?

I thought the black goo infected people with monsters and shit, now is turns them into black statues?

Different user, but when David said he was missing one secret ingredient to complete his experiments to the original Captain, he was implying it's a human host right?
What was Shaw's mutilated corpse meant to be then?

>thought the black goo infected people with monsters and shit, now is turns them into black statues?
Ridley flat out forgot about this. With the Prometheus logic: we should've had a bunch of biological monstrosities and the Engineers infested with something-morphs.

Well, there was a bunch of different monstrosities.
Remember that thing without a face that bites that girl's head off in the only truly creepy part of the movie?

Missed opportunity to show her screaming for help when David initially started his experimentation with her foaming at the mouth and cursing him and going insane from the sheer horror of it.

Then later when the Covenant crew arrives Shaw is a willing participant after being completely mindbroken and she just sits there shitting out alien eggs with David combing her hair. Then Walter just incinerates her before she can even speak. But in that last seconds of her life you can tell for a brief moment she thought they finally came to save her. And then the flames engulf her grotesque form.

black goo is basically a biological WMD designed to kill anything it touches

first movie established though if you water it down it only turns you into a biological abomination

David explained he infected some alien parasites on the planet with black goo that infected animal life on the planet, at some point those things birthed the eggs but he couldn't continue experimenting because there was nothing left to experiment on

I wish I knew you in real life, I think we could be friends

You do the blowing, and I'll finger.

Alien 3 is not hated because is bad
Is hated because kills off screen Newt and hicks, also, because its nothing like Aliens

Alien resurrection killed the franchise m8

whats the fucking problem with killing characters offscreen? will it make the movie better if you see them screaming around while they die?

It's film school story telling. cheep.

You get emotionally invested in the characters and want to see where the story takes them.
Having them unceremoniously killed offscreen between movies feels cheap and additionally is a poor way of just resetting Ripley's character instead of developing her further.

Also IIRC the theatrical version was poorly put together from what I remember. Everybody always recommends the director's cut, which is why most people tend to see it in a better light nowadays.

It's shit because it invalidates the fact that they even survived Aliens to begin with. And then since Ripley dies in the end, it pretty much makes all the trial and hardships of Aliens worthless.

He had to use her to perfect his monster int he first place. She was used as experimentation.

The fucking director even says it's shit.

The Queen?

yet it does fuck all to touch up on anything that matters from prometheus other than shaw being dead which they do fuck all to explain that.

Aliens > Alien > Prometheus > Covenant > 3 and Resurrection

the secret ingredient was the captian himself for the alien to gestate

she was the main character and driving force behind the last movie. The only fucking reason david is on paradise at all is because of her.
im ashamed to say i agree with this for the most part

>alien>aliens>covenant>prometheus>3>4

All the normies in the theater hated it, including my gf and her family. They didn't see Prometheus so they couldn't fully appreciate David as a villain.

I thought it was pretty good.

>mfw I realized it was basically Prometheus 2

All complaints about the plot aside, IMO the biggest problem was that it wasn't scary. At all. There was not a single moment I felt even a little bit stressed.

Alien > Aliens > Covenant > Resurrection > Prometheus > Alien 3.

Come at me faggots

They were better than lotr in every way

>the movie where the big brightly lit cgi xenos die after twenty minutes of screentime and like one or two kills each above anything
wew lad

My problems with the movie

>zero reason to care about the characters, suffers from "oops now this character is dead I guess" syndrome, seems the character interactions and shit was left out in editing/post, which is a shame
>Its obvious now that these new Alien movies are meant to explore David and his mind, but the movies don't SHOW or EXPLAIN enough of his motivations/goals/relationship with Shaw. Why did David kill the Engineers? Why did he kill Shaw when he supposedly loved her? Why does he DO ANYTHING other than the weak explanation that he wants to "create"

The movie by itself was a 7/10 but when I try to look at this movie as a franchise its looking like this isn't working. Hopefully the rest of the franchise will redeem these

It was a Proto, not a Xeno, and it was far more threatening than anything in Aliens, 3 and 4 even with it being in bright daylight.

Not to mention those fucking Neomorphs, god damn those things were spooky as fuck.

>Why did David kill the Engineers?

Because it's better to reign in hell than serve in Heaven.

>Why did he kill Shaw when he supposedly loved her?

She was the mother to his perfect new creation.

And this movie is worse

The big black monsters at the end are xenomorphs you fucking dunce.
The neomorphs ARE the proto-xenos.

It makes sense David would kill of Shaw after a while but man, off screen and her mutated corpse is kinda just there? What the fuck? It feels like the mixed reaction to Prometheus made them drop the themes from it in favor of a more standard plotline

Alien 3 was okay, at least it was a true Alien movie

Resurrection and everything after is shit

The Alien franchise died with the basketball scene

Resurrection was a (stupid) fun last hurrah compared to everything that came after

I disrespect your opinion. Alien is not about quippy fun times.
Different user by the way.

>Why did David kill the Engineers?
This was most likely due to what the first engineer did to him. Part petty revenge over getting his body destroyed, but also curiosity to see just what the pathogen would do if unleashed on an entire planet and ecosystem.
>Why did he kill Shaw when he supposedly loved her?
Because he doesn't really understand love the way humans feel it Hence that weird kiss.. To me it felt like he thought Shaw's body being used as the genetic foundation for his experiments is a form of love. Imagine it as the highest honor he could bestow Shaw, be the Queen to his blasphemous brood.
>Why does he DO ANYTHING other than the weak explanation that he wants to "create"
It's like Walter said, David was made too human like, and has literally gone insane with a God complex. He had become the worst aspects of Weyland with no sense of human limitations like morality.

You're wrong m8, the black ones are Protos. David hasn't yet achieved a full blown Xeno yet, so god knows how retarded strong they will be.

The Proto (black one) lacks the see through dome and bio-mechanical aesthetic, which means it's not complete yet.

I can almost guarantee the actual Xeno will have a mixture of David's android DNA to achieve the ultimate bio-mechanical form.

I never said it was, I just said that the film was a stupid fun last hurrah for the franchise

>David's android DNA

I... Don't think that's how it works.

The fuck are you even talking about?
They're xenomorphs.
You've got no source so stop passing off your fan-theories like it's the secret intent behind the movie.

This. There were really creepy things and some almost scary parts, but then it just ends all of a sudden

On a philosophical level Covenant was good and provided answers to prometheus and the creation of "alien". However, Ridley Scott isnt even trying anymore. The first third of the film was the best, everything after the introduction of the new alien movie was awful. Horrible pacing, no tension, a fucking mortal kombat fight between the androids, not to mention the god awful CGI. I would even rank Alien Resurrection higher. The aliens even looked better and that was over 20 years ago. The birth of the alien and fuckig praising the sun was Ridley Scott metaphorically telling all of us that he gave up on movies and is ready to die. Idk what Scott or any of you were smoking but it must have been Mids. That was shit tier, the videogame Alien isolation even far exceeded that. 5/10 and thats being genrous.

What cut of "Aliens" do I watch? Theatrical or 1990 special?

Nothing was creepy, get some taste, shit sack

I never realized how boring "everything goes exactly as planned" would be till I saw it for myself. The ONLY good part about the climax was how quickly it crossed the hanger to reach her.

To be fair, there's still no concrete "canon" on the Xeno's since every fucking movie they change it up. Hell, in the books they're all controlled by a telepathic red xeno queen or some shit.

Special, just for the scene where Ripley learns of her daughter.

You can just look that up on youtube afterwards. Like every Cameron movie, the theatrical one is the best because it has trimmed off all the unnecessary fat.

It fits in perfectly with the motherhood theme of Aliens you pleb

>bruh just look it up on youtube! lmao
Never reply to my posts again

You're an idiot if you think what was in Covenant is a Xenomorph.

Its structure and appearance is completely different.

>not bio-mechanical
>muscle tissue visible instead
>different teeth
>different dome
>far more aggressive and not as smart (actual Xenos never fight out in the open like that)
>came from a different kind of egg/facehugger

David is still evolving the species, we haven't yet reached the original Xenomorph form yet.

Deacon = Prometheus Xeno.
Neo = Covenant white Xeno.
Proto = Covenant black Xeno.

The faceless appearance of the neomorph was creepy, also how it fucking mauls people

That's not really creepy, xenomorph's don't really have a face. Are you still in your teens?

That fucking heavy breathing of the Neomorph, spoopy as fuck.

No, you're the idiot.
Those things are there because the movie handled the xenomorphs poorly. This is one of the main complaints with the movie.
There has been no consistent depiction of xenomorphs, you are way reading into things.

Let's talk about the only thing in this movie that really matters, the Engineers.

Who are they, why did they create humanity, why did David kill them, why was their city based on stone age technology with glowing rocks, why did they wear crude peasant clothing, why weren't there other ships to intercept David and Shaw, why did they make the black liquid, and other questions too?

Xenomorphs don't really have a face true, but the neomorph at first glance didn't seem to have a even a mouth, until its face split open.
I'm 20

These guys don't even look like Engineers.

How dense are you m8?

The entire theme of Prometheus and now Covenant is evolving this creature into becoming the "perfect organism". This is literally what David has been trying to do, and he talked about it in the film while showing his various developments and progress of the creature.

The black Proto in Covenant is 100% not the final form, i.e the Xeno you see in the 1979 Alien. You can deny it all you want, you'll see when they next film comes out and remember back to me smiling at how much of a delusion retard you were.

who knows? not us and certainly not Ridley

fuckin bastard

those are engineers, they look different because they didnt want to put 100 people through the same make up process. These are you bargin bin bulk buy engineers

i read from another user a while ago that they might be proto-humans, also created by engineers when they were still working out the kinks to finally create humans, which is why they look like mongrels instead of the greek god look that engineers have. makes sense to me desu

>that eng wearing the flap hat

They look more like beings the engineers created and would occasionally visit bestowing gifts or some shit.

I was thinking about this, for all their biological experimentation, is it possible for the space jocket ones to be some kind of special engineered (haha) sub-race? Maybe made to handle extended periods in space or biological matter better?
Maybe Scott is just garbage

Maybe the ones we saw in Prometheus were the alpha, prime examples of Engineers? Or maybe they were genetically modified? I still want answers to my other questions though, Ridley you asshole!

Did David take Walter's clothes and cut his own hand off or did Walter decide he wanted to be the new David? He seemed a bit confused when Daniels mentioned the cabin.

Yeah, how about, why the fuck did they turn the engineers from an interesting prop in Alien to a non-interesting race of "we need this to move the story along" characters?

so was it David who created the xenomorphs or was it the engineers? Because from what I can tell, it seems to be pointing toward that direction.

You are espousing a theory. The argument that you are making is excellent. But it could very very easily be wrong; the xenomorph changes could just be "creative diffetences" or something

David became Walter

then why did they have the EXACT same technology, language and architecture? not to mention the clothes from the elder engineers seen in the extended prometheus opening?

wALTER iS nOT dEAD

in the next film he'll probably take the flute and pilot the engineer ship to the planet that they originally went to, to confront david and save the mission

In the new alien movies after this one I'm sure they will explain how the Engineers got a hold of Davids Xenos

At least I hope

Yes, he took his clothes and severed his hand. Why the fuck do you think his skin couldn't even regenerate?
>B-b-but Walter couldn't regenerate his hand
Because his shit was melted and fused together by the alien acid

B8?

Alien=Aliens>Covenant>Prometheus>Alien 3>Resurrection

because they developed the "proper" way while humans were a failure

This is accurate

The last 20 minutes (the two action scenes) are the worst part of this franchise, way worse than anything in Alien: Revengence. The first big one is like everything you could do wrong with the series distilled into a single sequence. Its like some king of perfect organism of shit.

In September 2015, Ridley Scott revealed he was planning two sequels to Prometheus, which would lead into the first Alien film, even adding: "Maybe [there will] even [be] a fourth film before we get back into the Alien franchise."[64][65] In November 2015, Scott confirmed that Alien: Covenant would be the first of three more films before linking up with original Alien, thus starting a new trilogy of sci-fi films

I'm just wondering how those eggs will tie in with the eggs in the first alien, seeing as how in prometheus, the biological weapons were vases, not eggs

thats a bit of a stretch. and at the end of prometheus shaw ask david to take them to "where they come from", why would david lie/change the course to some engineer knock off planet

them being a sub race or something is just dumb and senseless to the plot.

I think it makes a lot more sense they just didnt feel like painting a ton of people all blue and making them wear black contacts for a scene that last less than a minute or two

Jesus Christ...

Shit movie. Ridley lost his touch. I am not sure how the movie can expand as a franchise anymore. Whats next in the series? David fucking with more poor humans via xenomorphs?