Most faithful adaption of the King Arthur story in film

>Most faithful adaption of the King Arthur story in film
>no stupid talking dragon
>Dragon is actually the spirit and magic of the land
>All the important characters such as Lancelot and Merlin are in it
>Top-tier and slightly over the top acting that fits the mood of the film perfectly
>Proudly displays masculine virtues like honor, strength, and wisdom
>Scenes that show man at his most primitive and then how they rise up with the rule of King Arthur to make it the time of Man instead of Gods
>Beautiful imagery with vibrant colors that aren't too in your face about it
>Using O Fortuna in film way before it was ever a thing

Why have you not watched Excalibur yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eC_TFoGhqUU
youtube.com/watch?v=7Ll4qS4anGo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Morte_d'Arthur
youtube.com/watch?v=Db40S82sqic
youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3EnDtbg8w
youtube.com/watch?v=uE9fN89Jc0Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I must have her. . .

ARE YOU MAD? THE ALLIANCE ! !

I don't know OP. Today, special effects make the movie. I got my qt friend to watch Excalibur with me but she found it old and boring, much like myself.

I avoid Boorman like the plague.

>I got my qt friend to watch Excalibur

Women will never understand movies like this and especially scenes like this

youtube.com/watch?v=eC_TFoGhqUU

>MFW Richard from Keeping Up Appearances shows up out of nowhere.

I like how the Wagner score comes on as Uryens knights Arthur. Sounds like Siegfried's 'Funeral March' from part four of Rings, but I can't be sure.

So fucking cool.

>Most faithful adaption of the King Arthur story in film
>Lancelot
Opinion discarded

>Not believing that Zardoz is pure kino
shiggy diggy

nu male and his retarded cunt whore should kill themselves.

explaain

Lancelot is French fan fiction

>no quick cuts
>No CGI
>No Arthur with numale look that I can relate to
>Classical music score
>Not blues rock indie music from the Black Keyes

Not happening

>not listing the use of Wagner as one of its main virtues

Siegried's funeral march is used extensively as a leitmotif for the sword Excalibur, and is especially prominent when we see the Lady of the Lake.

youtube.com/watch?v=7Ll4qS4anGo

I watched it before you were born.

Hell in the Pacific and Point Blank are certified kino

One of the best Arthurian adaptations is a French comedy called Kaamelott, are any Britfags familiar with it? Started as low-budget 5 minutes Monty Python-like comedy skits with a fixed camera and low on plot, but became so popular it kept evolving to 30-min then full-blown hour-long drama dealing with Arthur's fall. There's a prequel season set during Arthur's youth in the Roman Empire, which reuses HBO's Rome sets. All written, directed, scored and starring by the same guy. He's now working on a big budget movie trilogy to finish his story.

I watched it for the first time last week actually. It was great. I liked how the movie didn't insult my intelligence with "10 years later" captions whenever there was a time jump.

I dunno. I liked Camelot better.

how many dicks have you sucked this week faggot?

Whenever this came on TV, I had to watch it. It was one of those kinds of films.

What's wrong with musicals?

just go back to sucking dick user.

I have, and it's great
The movie does a phenomenal job of showing magic and mysticism without having it be overblown and in your face, it's just sort of a tone that permeates the whole movie

>Proudly displays masculine virtues like honor, strength, and wisdom
This has to be the most unintentionally hilarious and retarded talking point on the entire fucking board. You cant seriously be watching a movie and think to yourself, "woah so masculine! AWESOME!" lmao

Are you slow or something? Are you trying to say that the film is not at least trying to display these traits?

No, I think its stupid that someone would value those traits representation as such a good thing it needs to be pointed out. It sounds like something a closet gay man would say without realizing he's giving himself away

Spotted the Disney-watching numale.

>tips reddit

Compared to watching a movie nowadays and thinking "what a faggot, or what a gay thing to do" yes.

Perhaps you can rally against the evils of toxic masculinity back on tumblr.

It is a good thing to be pointed out because men`s behaviour is many films today is unnatural and femenine.
The fact that you find it weird just shows how much brainwashed you are.

I have 2 copies of this movie for myself because my mom keeps accidentally rebuying it for herself and sends me the extras. I have still never watched it

So what you're trying to say is you are a homosexual man and feel the need to point out when someone says something positive about male attributes that he is being gay so people do not suspect you of being an ass bandit?

Because if that's not the case then you're just a retard.

I can see that, but I try to form my opinions and not conform to what anonymous people tell me I should be valuing in a film. Part of why its so funny is because I can picture people praising masculinity (praising masculinity, kek) only because they know it conforms to like minded people on Sup Forums. Like how people didn't criticize certain movies heavily until there was daily HAHAHA threads telling them to.

Not responding to shitposters above.

I am an openly homosexual man

Lancelot is a french fanfic character who should be removed

I understand.

You are confusing your lust for man ass with the common themes of medieval and fantasy narratives, and think that there is something weird and out of place about it.

Try putting yourself in the shoes of someone who doesn't want to suck golf balls out of garden hoses and consider how these traits in a platonic relationship between men and how they can be appreciated.

For fucks sake the film is based on the French fanfiction.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Morte_d'Arthur

Then it can't be the "Most faithful adaption of the King Arthur story in film" can it (protip: none of them are accurate)? It just happens to be the best King Arthur movie

Go fuck your sheep you hairyass Welsh savage

No one cares about most faithful, although this is still the most faithful adaptation while also being the best. Most Arthurian movies are pretty shit.

t. Nouveau-Algerie

what was King Arthurs tax policy?

Well he was a feudal lord who had to maintain an extravagant lifestyle so he probably taxed the lesser gentry for grain and other products, the gentry in turn taxed the peasants.

Underrated Kek

I agree, you are definitely old and boring.

I have and its just the way magic should be depicted in films. Not cgi light show but something wrapped in mysticism and unknown

wtf then
Dont you think their characters are manly? Or you dont think that is a positive thing to be shown on film?.

While the former is objectively true the latter could be your preference for being a numale homo.

Just your moms

Unironically kino as fuck

youtube.com/watch?v=Db40S82sqic

>Dragon is actually the spirit and magic of the land.
Thats the gayest shit ive ever heard. Who thought that up? A fucking twink?

Also fantasy as a genre cannot be masculine. It is inherently by its nature an escapist excercise. Why dont you watch a real, life affirming film if you want to be honourablr or wise. Or better yet live real life you resentiment filled faggot

Lovely looking and shot film.

Oh shut up you soppy tart.

>ranting about honor and wisdom
>Nietzsche

Nihilism is without a doubt the philosophy of cowards and degenerates without propriety.

Man i love it when plebs comment on shit they have no clue about

So insecure.

coming through

youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3EnDtbg8w

I agree, it makes as simple an image of Merlin disappearing into such a mystical scene.

youtube.com/watch?v=uE9fN89Jc0Y

>>Most faithful adaption of the King Arthur story in film
Disagree. Go see the french 2h long Lancelot du Lac. It's the closest to the original source I have seen so far. If you d'on't speak french, then that's a shame really. Excalibur is Excalibur, a movie about sword: starts when Merlin gives it to Uther, ends when it is discarded into the water. Not much similar to its source, Le morte d'Arthur, thought.
>>All the important characters such as Lancelot and Merlin are in it
NO GIRFLET NO SEE.
>>Top-tier and slightly over the top acting that fits the mood of the film perfectly
Just like muh books! :')
>>Scenes that show man at his most primitive and then how they rise up with the rule of King Arthur to make it the time of Man instead of Gods
More like the time of nobility and courtenousness instead of barbary and dishonour.
>>Using O Fortuna in film way before it was ever a thing
The symphony uses as its basis a poem from the middle ages, so it's only fitting.

>heh... time to show these Sup Forums nerds how much of a mans man i am...

Death of Arthur is THE Arthur tale, you can't get more authentic than that.

>What is the Mabinogion?

Absolutely fucking dreadful, as expected of the Welsh. Utterly devoid of beauty or wonder and full of more moronic over the top feats of stupidity that even the Greeks would consider this shit too far fetched.

>its a tv pretends a bad movie is good episode

you fuckers tricked me with BvS and MoS. and you recently tricked me with this movie. I sincerely went into Excalibur wanting to like it. The poster, the practical effects, everything looked fantastic. I forced myself to watch 45 minutes before I gave up and accepted it for what it was; A boring, dated, ugly, piece of shit with dreadful hammy acting, cringe worthy dialogue, awfuk pacing, and a story that is virtually no existant.

Then what about Historia Regum Britanniae? It's got Merlin and everything

Dumb frogposter.

And don't forget

>contains a very hot sex scene featuring the director's own daughter

Agreed.

That's fine, and obviously it was probably the most historically significant work since it kind of launched Arthur and Merlin into the popular imagination, but Geoffrey kinda wrote Arthur like a tyrant who delighted in terrorizing Europe for some reason.

Also Helen Mirren, Patrick Stewart and a relatively young Liam Neeson

She was hotter in Caligula

>lmao
nice b8

Arthur wasn't feudal, he lived in a period before feudalism and was a wealthy land owner himself, so he probably didn't levy taxes of any kind.

Excalibur is the best fantasy movie I've ever seen. Lord of the Rings got nothing on it, it didn't even have magic rape.

>much like myself

It's your fault for being old and boring .

Lame. If you had watched it and hated it I could respect that.

I thought this movie was decent. Certainly the least absurd sword/sorcery movie of the time.

Anaal Nakrath!

Life affirming film? You mean like Garfield?

>that fight with lancelot
>Arthur's face when he says "I'm nothing"
Great movie.

>bloom lighting on the swords and armor

Please, stop. My dick can only get so erect.

*blocks your path*

It has to be seen to be believed.

I hate talking about Excalibur because nobody seems to get that the first 1/3 of the movie is cheesy and hammy on purpose and write it off immediately after.

John Boorman is a genius and his masterful understanding of narrative progression and tone has yet to be rivalled in a mainstream film.

>shiggy diggy
may I use for educational use?

>still no tv series of the warlord chronicles

It would have been hundred times more interesting than the same old knights in shining armor type arthurian story.

What level do you have to be to get armor like that?

It's not a faithful retelling, but it's not meant to be. It examines Arthurian myth through the lens of Jungian ideas and themes. Honestly, that's what gives it its dream-like quality and what sets it apart from other fantasy movies in general and Arthur movies in particular.

It's a great movie, not disagreeing there, but its just false to call it a faithful adaptation.

Watched half an hour or so and acting felt very unnatural. The atmosphere is very otherworldly and acting kind of adds to it but the way the story itself is told falls flat for me. There is definitely a lot of value in this movie, especially as far as visual aesthetics is concerned, but right now i can't say it's a good movie. Hopefully someday I will find myself wrong.

>Also fantasy as a genre cannot be masculine
Pic related would like a word with you

I did. Well, I watched the superior remake. Great film. I never understood the hate Zack Snyder gets

Funniest post I read in a while. Thank you.

capeshit of its time

t

Kaamelott is top tier comedy. i pity anyone who doesnt speak french for missing out on this.

So did I, Most likely.

truly GOAT.

One of My favorite visuals.

Helen Mirren and Nicol Williamson had been former lovers but had a tremendously bitter break up after they starred together in Hamlet.
When they were shooting Excalibur she was in a relationship with Liam Neeson.