I'M MARY POPPINS YALL

How the fuck did this end up in the final cut?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LinpRhB4aWU
youtube.com/watch?v=HndX454dSQE
boards.fireden.net/v/search/filename/ 1471316377971/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

this aint DCucks, they allow bantz

Fuck you, it was funny. Go watch Suicide Squad if you want cringe.

Well during audience testing they noticed the audience doing this thing called laughing, and unlike Warner Bros., they decided the audience enjoying themselves was probably a good thing.

Ah still people out there trying desperately to convince other people this was a bad movie, please carry on maybe it will work one day.

This movie was for kindergarteners, why are there grown men on the internet defending it?

They knew people would talk about it nonstop for months.

Because it's a funny joke
why the fuck is it getting memed so much?

Now they're pushing him to be in the new Mary Poppins movie already. Nerd culture is getting embarrassing.

explain why it is funny and not cringe

manchildren won't stop regressing until they're drooling fetus'

It plays on the fact that Chris pratts character has been referring to earth culture and media and nobody has any idea what the fuck he's been talking about for 2 movies

It's funny because he is unaware of the fact mary poppins is a female, and mary poppins is a very different type of character to yondu

Explain why it's cringe

He thinks he's saying something cool, when he actually isn't.

OP you need to chill out

It's funny and heartwarming. Funny, because of Yondu being unaware of the referenced character, as opposed to us. Heartwarming, because Peter refrained from being an asshole and instead gave his surrogate dad a moment to feel cool about himself. The combination of that, fun and feels, makes it one of the best moments in the movie.

I don't understand how someone can be so fucking miserable as you OP. It was an innocuous, pretty OK joke in a mainstream, comic book blockbuster. What the fuck level of kino were you expecting?

What jokes and humour do you enjoy? What things do you find fun?

That joke was obviously not a masterpiece, and the movie wasn't either - but both served their purposes; to be fun, accessible if forgettable entertainment.

What things do you honestly, genuinely like that are fun or humorous? Not asking for your top 10 movies of all time or anything, not wanting you to peruse the Criterion Collection for the 8 1/2 homage that undoes the trappings of the parody genre or some shit. Just.. what is fun media to you?

btfo

How the fuck did a battle that lasts 1/3rd of the fucking movie end up in the final cut?

But isn't Mary Poppins like a really nice surrogate mom to those kids? Just like Yondu was a dad to Peter? So in a way Peter calling Yondu Mary Poppins is kind of a compliment.

Truly the Kino of the cape world

best answer here desu, also remember when quill called rocket a trash panda and no on knew what it was until he said it was 'worse'

i agree. we need to shut the fuck up and be passive good goys and enjoy our mediocre trash with lazy quips.

...who hurt you? What is wrong with you that you can't accept that mainstream populist shit has always been around and always entertained the masses, and it's always just been "pretty good I guess"?

It works on that level if you want it to. The initial joke with Peter's comment was just a visual gag, him hanging off the arrow like Poppins does from her umbrella. I doubt Yondu would have appreciated that he was looking like some maid. You're right that Marry Poppins was indeed cool, but even if she had been a shit character, what made the moment great was Peter and Yondu bonding and not being assholes toward each other. It's not that hard.

there were gems at one point. there aren't anymore gems.

>Handwave argument meme answer

WAKA WAKA WAKA

XD XD
XD XD XD
XD XD XD XD
please like and subscribe

>...

>le gems

You both have to go back.

Yeah I know what you're saying is true but I meant that if you look further it has a nice hidden meaning.

"I DON'T CONTROL IT WITH MAH MIND BOI, I CONTROL IT WITH MAH MEMES!!!"

??? What is he talking about?

Agreed. Like I said, one of the best moments in the movie, that works well with the overall father/son/family theme.

it means he's a big guy

in the last part of the movie why did the blue nigga had to die when he saved chris pratts life when he was in space? isn't chris pratt a demigod who could survive in space without a suit?

>I'M BANE YALL!

Because he reverted to being a human without superpowers when they blew up the core of the planet.

They clearly state that he loses those powers Ego dies

Because Chris Pratt could have been mean to his sort-of-step-dad or sperg and over-explain the Earth joke but instead he let Yondu have a moment thinking he gets to fill in a little of one of Star Lord's childhood Earth heroes.

>isn't chris pratt a demigod who could survive in space without a suit?

There is a whole scene in the first movie were he almost dies in the vacuum of space saving jolly green bitch.

Also the god brain died.

>Oh so its like Ego the Living Planet TECHNICALLY but its really Kurt Russel?
>lame, ok
>no, its fucking Ego the Living Planet with his giant face and everything

This.

Part 3 will have a 30 mins fart joke segment with Adam Sandler.

I felt bad watching this movie because I understood all the references and realized that I'm the same age as the producers and the same age as the targetted audience.

>feels old, man

This was like my only problem with it.

I really had to take a piss at the start of the battle, and I thought I was gonna die by the end. I just kept thinking "how long will this go on?"

I enjoyed the movie, but I think Marvel was a little too scared to do a completely character driven movie. This was a step in the right direction, but in the end they just couldn't justify a crazy battle inside a planet.

>I hate laughing or having fun
t. (You)

I was afraid that was how it was going to go initially.

But then he was the planet.

Quill only carries the genes that makes him a battery that can conduct Ego's powers

If Ego dies, then Quill can't use his powers anymore. However, if he is near another Celestial, he can use his powers again

So Quill is a walking communist? lol hey celestial, time to share the means of production.

Because Marvel and Disney aren't ashamed of what they are.

they're literally made for ages 18+.

Yes, the kids may get all their plush baby groots and their starlord masks. But the references, songs, jokes, etc are all for adults. That penis joke. The one about driving the plane with his dick. David Hasselhoff appearance. Rocky.

Well he's only a product of the system, a battery drain they made.

>immortal
so if Quill had crashed his ship in the first movie and his body was destroyed in a fiery explosion, would his body have just reassembled himself and he'd come back to life like his dad did?

Just wake up near the wreckage like "whoa, close one!" ?

To be fair, Mary Poppins is cool

>I'm Yondu Y'all!

That's how I interpreted it. Also explains, why he got to survive his space walk with Gamorra and of course holding the Infinity Gem..

Now we just need a scene of Marry Poppins whistling in the upcoming sequel, and her umbrella starts flying all over and murderstabs everyone in sight.

It genuinely made me laugh out loud in the theatre. Not the part when he says "I'm mary poppin's yall!" that was just icing on the cake, the real funny part was when Quill initially points out he looks like mary poppins because I was thinking the same thing right as he said it.

Oh man, I recognise that thing! I know what it is!

>Both raised children
>both disappear forever at the end

Whoa..

The "was he cool" line is what really bugged me about this joke. It just felt like it was rushed.

>we gotta get this mary poppins line in
>ok how are we going to set up the joke
>how about he's floating down and Starlord looks at him and says "you look like mary poppins"
>ok and how should we finish it
>uhh.... Yondu says "was he cool?" and then Starlord says "yes" then he says the line
>that seems kind of quick and lazy but whatever the movie's guaranteed to make bank at the box office anyway so we don't have to work too hard on it

This movie is an embarrassment. The first one was way better.

Who else barely understood what the movie was about?

I think the first one's better too but I don't think this is an embarrassment. I think it did much more for character development.

no one. There's so much exposition you'd have to be retarded not to be able to follow it

genuinely think you must have some kind of mental illness if you think any of that was how it went down
why the fuck would they start with "gotta get in this mary poppins joke" and not "what funny thing could they say as they all float down in different ways?"

DUDE JUST TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF LMAO

My point

Your head

You have autism

was it autism?

What was the song during the Pacman battle?

Seeing how well Chris Pratt did with improv in Parks and Rec, he could've just winged this
>scene calls for both of them to fall majestically
>during production
>"haha, you look like Mary Poppins"
>lighbulb turned on for writers

A lot of the scenes in Parks and Rec just read "Andy does something funny"

youtube.com/watch?v=LinpRhB4aWU

youtube.com/watch?v=HndX454dSQE

No, people with autism overthink things. The joke was extremely simple.

It's possible, I'm just saying Yondu's "was he cool" reply felt quick and clumsy, like he ad libbed it but poorly.

James Gunn doesn't do improv comedy, everything is planned. Sometimes he keeps blooper-tier stuff like when Chris Pratt accidentally dropped the orb while taking it out to sell to the Collector in the first movie

That was an accident?

Watched 16 hours ago. really enjoyed this flick, the line was funny. I also almost shed a tear during the funeral - which is miles of emotion more than I felt watching SS or BvS.

What made that scene work was that Starlord starting with an insult then realized he admits to admire him. It's kind of touching.

I'd pirate the hell of that

Hmm...

GUARDINS OF DA REDDIT HAHA, POO MOVIE

DO I FIT IN YET????

You're almost there, did you pre-order your Emoji movie tickets yet?

>DO YOU FEEL LIKE MARY POPPINS NOW!

One time in like fall 2014, James Gunn posted on Sup Forums at the end of some thread about how to make it in filmmaking. He didn't drop any names, but you could tell he was talking about Troma, Slither, and finally breaking through with being allowed to make GOTG. I believe it was him because he seemed to be trying pretty hard to remain anonymous while giving genuine advice to the OP. Also he seems like the kind of person who would've come here, at least back then

>ANSWER ME!

what was the advice

Just bee yourself

I can't remember too much because it was some pretty basic shit, nothing notable. Something like staying optimistic / always giving 100% / never giving up, and the importance of making good connections.

Of course that doesn't help much if you don't have the writing and visionary talent to make a good movie, and especially if you aren't good at managing time/resources/people. If it actually was him, I think he just wanted to brag about his success since GOTG was still pretty fresh at the time, but at the same time he didn't want reveal himself (probably because it's bad to get caught on Sup Forums)

>adults defending marvel cashgrab quiptrash

what kind of name is "Rocket"?

His mother had an IQ of 3 and ate her young if they showed minor flu symptoms, don't be too harsh

We haven't seen quiptrash till we see Infinite War
>all characters in a small cramped ship, nonstop quipping

it's charming, not funny, if you laughed out loud youre a loser

boards.fireden.net/v/search/filename/ 1471316377971/
>adult child

>deconstructing the obvious simple joke

It's a great scene because it shows Yondu is basically a big teenager who's entire life revolves around trying to seem badass as a coping mechanism, and Peter understands this and lets him get away with thinking Mary Poppins is some badass. Their roles have switched, Peter's now acting paternal to Yondu from growing so much as a person recently.

Literally more character development in that one dumb joke than every DCEU movie.

>Almost no one in theater laughed when I saw the movie
Most of the jokes were just horrible, just like the rest of the movie

>Watch the movie
>everyone laughs at every single quip
What's it like to get btfo huh

The Chain by Fleetwood Mac.

A rocket is a means of propulsion and also a weapon.

>(probably because it's bad to get caught on Sup Forums)
That's an understatement. Being caught on Sup Forums is PR poison. That's why Lorde pretends it wasn't her who posted songs from her Soundcloud on Sup Forums back when she was a nobody.

>A lot of the scenes in Parks and Rec just read "Andy does something funny"
No they weren't. There was a lot less improv in Parks and Rec than people think, and none of it was planned improv.

Is that short canon?

I agree.

Fuck comedy. I hate laughing. Comedy is for suckers.