ABC's Muppet series is canceled

>ABC's Muppet series is canceled.
>Rocko's Modern Life movie is going to be shit.
>Hey Arnold movie is going to be shit.
>Godzilla's sequel is canceled.
>MST3K reboot has NONE of the original cast besides Joel.
>PowerPuff reboot is shit.
>Samurai Jack reboot is shit.
>Teen Titans Go is utter shit.

Why don't people learn? Reboots fucking fail.

>>Godzilla's sequel is canceled.

Can I get some sauce over here, Crow?

But this isn't true, it just got pushed back less than a year.

He's lying.

Don't even fucking joke about that, OP.

>Nostalgia profit leads only to disaster

What are the news?

Also Godzilla still alive an well, the japanese one at least. I don't give a fuck about the Hollywood one.

Also, Hideaki Anno Godzilla. Are your butts ready?

LIES. ALL LIES.

We know literally nothing about it.

We can trust that robot though. He's a robot.

>ITT: Crow and Tom discover shitposting.

I can honestly imagine this being an opening segment on the show.

Sooner or later we're going to have to face the reality that note every series needs a netflix or kickstarter revival.

>NO CROW, YOU NITWIT, YOU CAN'T PUT YOUR ACTUAL EMAIL IN THE POST.

So we can agree that Mike is way better than Joe

Ad how Kevin Murphy is the best Tom?

You mean Joel, not Joe you fake ass. And frankly I like them both. Joel and Mike have different styles. Same with Kevin Murphy and Josh Weinstein as Servo. Don't be a dickweed.

Weinstein's Tom had no comedic delivery, definitely not on Murphy's level.

I like Joel, but I gravitate towards Mike more. His charisma is 10/10.

>monotone voice
>sleepy facial expression
>obvious jokes
>IT'S A STYLE DON'T JUDGE IT

Plus, Mike wasn't afraid to openly laugh in the theater. If Trace, Kevin, or Bill did something funny, he'd give a good chuckle.

The monotone and sleepyness came from the fact before the first episode of MST3K, he drank a whole liter of Mr. Pib and built the robots.

You forgot one, OP
>SWAT Kats was passed over

You do know why Joel sounded that way right? The first episode on KTMA he was up for days fixing things to make puppets. It was so well received he just kept doing it.

That's a fucking blessing. I love SWAT Kats and don't want to see it shitup in a reboot.

No doubt. All these reboots these days have me worried.
Speaking of MST, this has me on edge too.

Same. People can't just let a good thing be good as it was, it needs a HOT AND TOPICAL REVIVAL TO APPEAL TO TODAY'S YOUTH WHO DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT IT

but... we kickstarted it

anyway the problem is that you need to get the old creatives back if you want things to be the same, and even then they won't be because those people are sick and tired and old now. so what we really need is original things by new creative people.. and aside from the adventuretime-flapjack family, there aren't any. or they aren't making it in the biz

>Joel asked Mike, Bill, Trace, Kevin, Frank, Josh, Mary, and Paul to come in and write for it.
>All of them say no.

You understand my fear then.

Nice bullshit.

>MST3K reboot has NONE of the original cast besides Joel.

They really couldn't pull mike and the rest from Rifttrax?

Joel is with Trace, Josh, Mary Jo, and Frank for Cinematic Titanic. And they said NO.

>Shout had to sell MST3K back to Joel.
>no more awesome Shout Factory DVD boxsets.

I love it, his episodes are cozy. And also I like that they're less mean, Crow in particular has a more innocent personality that I find very endearing, the whole thing feels more fun and less bitter. The references are less modern and the jokes are less frequent (particularly early on), which is probably why you think it's boring. I myself am fascinated enough with bad movies to watch even the weakest MST3K riff, the jokes are just a bonus, but minus season one Joel's tenure is just as good if not better than Mike's. Though Mike was in plenty of all-time classics.

>tfw when you first heard the MST3k was coming back
>that disappointed feel when you next heard none of the other guys were returning
>that suicidal feeling you felt when the next detail you heard was Felicia Day joined the cast

Yeah, Joel was more dad like. Mike was just some dude. The robots take full advantage of that too. They even shoot him with a canon for a shit Fonz impression.

If it makes you feel better, Crow's being preformed by a Muppet preformer. An actual puppeteer preforming one of the shows puppets?

Cinematic Titanic has finished for some time now. Joel said he was working on something else, which turns out to be rebooting MST. Mary Jo does stuff with Mike's wife at Rifftrax these days. Keep up dude.

The only reason is because they felt betrayed by Joel concieving it and bringing it public without saying anything to them beforehand, and possibly don't think the robots and Mads needed to be recast. I don't think the Rifftrax crew would under any circumstances would have jumped their profitable ship to join the reboot but Trace would have no trouble playing his roles. They had to make him look older to play Dr. Forrester back in the day anyway. But for better or worse Joel sees the show as his baby and clearly knew exactly what he wanted the reboot to be - he thinks of it as Star Trek or Dr. Who, a new crew only makes sense. Still, if the reboot comes out and is well-recieved I bet some of the old cast will warm up to it and make cameo appearances.

Hey how about you actually wait for FOOTAGE to release until you make an opinion?

Joel and Mike made a similar comparison of themselves. Joel's character of Joel made the bots; he is effectively their dad. Mike is more a buddy, so more open to just being a jerk with them, and vice versa.

All of the CT crew are working on a show that has a Kickstarter running right now called Ren Fest. The Rifftrax crew are very dedicated and busy with their gig.

Though there is that one episode where Joel just beats on Servo and Crow playing Rock Paper Scissors, and then Gypsy comes in and beats Joel.

We can hope. Just have to wait and see I guess. Don't get me wrong. I hope it's good. I'm just not too excited, if you take my meaning.

>mfw I made a comment on twitter shortly after the reboot was announced saying that I felt like the show's corpse was being desecrated
>the Rifftrax twitter account followed me right after

I get the feeling they want nothing to do with it.

They should've given the samurai jack reboot at least 8 more years before they make it

When Mike heard that the bots starred in some shitty webflash series, he was like 'well, that certainly is cute' And it was canceled.

How else would OP shitpost?

You shut your fucking mouth. The Samurai Jack revival sounds like the exact opposite of the PPG reboot, as in it's actually going to be good. The original talent is involved (even beyond Tartakovsky), it's a continuation rather than a reboot, it's being revived so they can finish the story rather than turn it into a merchandise whore like PPG, and it doesn't sound like they're going to make the show drastically different despite it being on Adult Swim now. The only thing I need to ease my fears is see some of the animation but I doubt that's going to be much of an issue with Tartakovsky helming it once again.

Also, I don't think Teen Titans Go is that bad because I thought the original sucked ass

>Also, I don't think Teen Titans Go is that bad because I thought the original sucked ass

motherfucker are you pic related?

Actually Shout bought MST3K from Jim Mallon last year.

>Godzilla sequal is canceled

Then how did he get by our security systems?

Have you guys considered that romanticizing the past and wearing rose-tinted glasses every single day is a horrible idea?

The 90s had good shows, yes. But the important part was that they stayed in the 90s. People need to keep moving forward, otherwise history repeats itself.

In other words, please go Famicom and Timbox

>Rocko

What Rocko movie? You mean that Nicktoons one?

There's nothing wrong with wanting closure on things like Hey Arnold and Samurai Jack, both of which were wrongfully taken before they got to tell their final tales.

There is nothing that can go wrong with the Arnold movie beyond iffy voices, and that's it.

Response from them has been pretty positive, but that may just be being polite. I really hope it turns out well and gets some original cast cameos.

They promoted the Kickstarter actively, offered Rifftrax shorts as rewards and such. If they actually hated the whole thing that would go beyond simply being professional, they didn't have to do that.
I think all of the cast was shocked and angry at first but Joel seems to have done a pretty decent job of talking most of them down

OPs misconceptions aside, I think the problem here is that people don't understand the difference between style and substance. They play on the style, the way it APPEARS on the surface which people think is "good" and ignore the substance that actually made it "good" in the first place.

So they basically just keep slapping imagery of things we're familiar with, so it's guaranteed to bring in an audience but don't actually deliver on whatever element made it good in the first place. Usually the original creators had something in mind, we're only getting a small amount of the actual concept they were conveying. So they get rid of the original creators, for instance and they don't realize those people had the IDEAS that made it work too.

Maybe this character was really well loved, but they were secretly based on someone the creator knew in real life. So they try to remake the character without realizing there was more than meets the eye about them, it was something different than they thought.

Also new creators tend to project their current fads and trends onto these older things. If you watch 90s cartoons they seem timeless, but you watch a remake in the 2010s and you know it was made recently because they're talking about selfies or whatever flash-pop-cultural shit is going on.

Am I making any sense here?

>If you watch 90s cartoons they seem timeless
haha no, most 90s cartoons referenced very 90s things and are immediately recognizable as being from the 90s because of art style. That's not the problem. The problem is that the shows actually BELONG in the 90s, Rocko's Modern Life is so distinctly dated and had a good run in the first place, it should be allowed to rest peacefully. I know that they're now looking at these shows as designed-by-marketing-committee properties like Hannah-Barbara shows but they're not, they're works of art created by people with distinct backgrounds and sensibilities expressing themselves. It's like comparing The Monkees to Pink Floyd.
If these reboots can be done with purpose, with involvement from the original creators, and somewhat faithfully, then fine, let them try. But they already seriously shit on PPG, and I know it has to hurt Craig McCracken (and Genndy Tartakovsky and everyone else who made the show what it was), the original was great and filled with so much of his effort and vision, he probably didn't think this kind of bastardization would happen while he was alive (because one would assume the suits would realize they NEED the creators for these things).

Only certain parts of Rocko were dated to the 90s, plenty of it was referencing 80s and even shit from the 30s.

The entire sensibility and aesthetic of the show is 90s as fuck

Joel and Mike have all had some input from what I read. That gives me some pretty good hope.

The correct answer of course is Joike

Okay that's what I'm talking about. I clued into this because my niece was watching Courage the Cowardly Dog and I noticed how it made references to things, just even little phrases and ideas and gags that were all over place from time periods.

Not JUST the present. That's how the new millineal-marketed shit is. It's JUST the present at least that's what it feels like. The cultural palate of the early creators was a lot broader and it showed in their works, the newer stuff is only new stuff only?

That's the fault of creators and writers who lack that broader cultural knowledge. Plenty of shows on currently are clever enough to pull from all sorts of things, heck Regular Show is mostly 80s references and Clarence has featured references to multiple Stanley Kubrick films, Five Easy Pieces, American Psycho, Talking Heads, The Smiths and countless other old things

The only thing that gives me any faith that a good reboot of any of these shows is possible is Beavis & Butt-head. It was updated in a couple ways (like them watching reality TV shows as well as music videos, given MTV's programming slate) but was otherwise as faithful and perfect as it could possibly have been.
But it's a much less complicated show in many ways than others mentioned and was the result of a single primary creative force, who was involved. I think these'll be a crapshoot, but Samurai Jack seems the most like it will actually be good.

>samurai jack is shit
Okay first of all you have literally no basis in saying that considering they have literally the original team with more creative freedom to do what they want.

If you think that's wrong, then fuck you.

>Godzilla cancelled
No it fucking wasn't you have plenty of shit to complain about without having to lie.

A brief and mostly accurate MST3k history on where it came from and how it got to where it is now.

>Struggling prop comic talks a local Minnesota TV station into giving him a chance to do a movie riffing show
>He idolizes the very cheap and corny ones from his youth and wants to emulate that. >After a year a newly formed comedy cable channel looking for content offers to take the show national.
>They increase the budget (against Joel's wishes), insists they replace the teenager who played the 2nd mad scientist and Tom Servo (Joel is okay with this).
>Josh goes on to become the most bitter ex cast member and does nothing else with his life.
>A producer on another show at the local Minnesota station is hired on to be the new Tom Servo (Kevin Murphy)
>New people are hired to pump up the writing staff and expand the host segments.
>As the years go on the writing gets better and better and one of those new staff members rises up to the position of head writer (Mike).
>Comedy central cancels the show.
>The other executive producer, Jim Mallon, finds another station to take the show on, The Sci Fi Channel.
>The new station wants to increase the budget even more, and relaunch the show with a theatrical movie.
>Joel quits in a huff since the show has gone too far from the corny low budget dream he had.
>Jim Mallon now solely owns the show.
>Mike is picked to be the new host because he "looks the best on camera" out of the rest of the staff.
>Over the next two years Frank then Trace both quit, seemingly on amicable terms in order to go to Hollywood and begin the next phase of their careers.
>Local comedian Bill Corbet is hired to be the new Crow, writer and regular guest star Mary Jo is picked to become the new mad.
>The show continues till sci fi cancels it due to it costing too much to make (irony)

>Jim Mallon makes a bad deal with the video rights, and no one besides him sees a single residual for the show.
>Some years later, Mike starts up a new riffing venture and after it starts to become successful brings on fell cast mates, kevn and bill
>Joel starts his own riffing venture with all the other former cast mates, it has a few unsuccessful video releases and several successful live shows
>Joel ends this unilaterally
>Mike's venture, rifftrax continues to grow to the point he actually works out a deal to sell mst3k episodes on his website and on his own pays the former cast their first ever residual checks.
>Joel decides to relaunch mst3k.
>He buys back the rights to it, then launches a successful kickstarter in order to fund a new season
>He hires several youtube sjw celebrities to be his new cast
>He then extends offers to be guest stars (not cast members, not writers) to all the former cast members
>They decline as a whole
>Later Mike creates an mst3k reunion as a rifftrax event, all former cast members besides Josh jump on board.

what about Netflix? Or Amazon? For fucks sake we raised over a 100grand for only a fucking concept art and a 2 minute promo

Well it would be the original creators who did it, so is it really a reboot then?

Only thing wrong here is that MST3K was on comedy central until it got cancelled by the 7th season. Frank left in season 6, Trace left at the end of what was supposed to be the final season.

It then moved to Sci-Fi where the series was revived.

>SJW Youtubers
I hope it fails, SJWs cannot into comedy because there are to many sacred cows for them.

>youtube sjw celebrities
Only Felicia Day is remotely anything like that. The rest of the cast are actual stand-up comedians who tour and have been on real TV shows.

Yes, they're liberal, but who isn't these days? And they're still much less obnoxious than Frank's twitter feed, I mean good god.

See this is what happens when you hype the 90s

Yeah, you're right. I tend to think of Mike starting the new Sci Fi years, but it happened just before that.

>Felicia Day
Has she done anything of value or merit that's not just her act of going 'I'M A GAMER GURL'? Seriously, I remember some guy being fired for asking that question to her.

I'm sure the show will be poisoned by her based on the audience she'll bring in.

Not even just before that Joel left in mid season 4. Mike was running the ship for 5, 6 and 7. Then 8, 9 and 10.

Joel cast her based on his own personal interaction with her, he had no idea who she was until he met her. He seems to think she's right for the part

No, it was mid season 5, 4 was definitely all Joel.

I liked Dr Horrible

Could Crow have imagined one day having the Information Superhighway in your pants, or wearing it on your head?

Calling them all SJWs does work in this context. Think about all those jokes that were in the original show that would never be made with this cast. Can you imagine any of them making fun of a woman's looks, or a midgets antics?

Joel left because of the shitfest problems the movie was going though.

Sci-Fi canceled it because the new people in charge didn't like it or understood it. Same thing happened to all the other series Sci-Fi had running, Tremors is a prime example, very highly-rated and popular but someone high up didn't like it so he fucked around with its schedule, didn't allow it to be promoted, and when the ratings dropped because of that he used it as his reason to cancel it.

Can you imagine ANY show doing that these days? Twitter would get it cancelled in minutes.

When has that ever happened?

Never, but that doesn't stop people from believing SJWs have absolute power over all.

And the movie problems were caused by Jim Mallon, who is the real villain in MST3K's history

I knew we couldn't trust Gypsy. Richard Basehart wasn't even that good-looking!

They have Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland doing some writing, and they most certainly do not give a fuck about being PC
I doubt it'll be toned down, sure there are some things that won't fly anymore (especially any impersonation of accents) but I'm pretty sure that shit's fine within the context of a comedy TV show. Always Sunny and South Park stay on the air just fine doing WAY more offensive shit.

Really. I read that Frank wanted to come back and reprise is role as TVs Frank but they thought he was to old.

>Rocko's Modern Life movie is going to be shit.
There's a movie coming?

Mike is really positive spirited. I bet he lights up any room he walks into.

Beavis and Butthead wasn't a reboot though, it was treated as a new season.

>they felt betrayed
Sounds like things behind the scenes of the RiffTrax 10th anniversary live show are going to be interesting considering pretty much everyone is going to be there.

Actually he's constantly agitated by an excruciating headache he's had for over 20 years and he's a staunch political conservative.
Still, he does seem like he tries to keep a spring in his step

I think the fact that the reunion is happening with everyone at all is a sign things are mostly patched up

>Am I making any sense here?
Yes

Actually, the Jim Mallon thing was rectified when Rhino sold the video rights to Shout, the old cast gets money for the episodes.
But now Joel bought the show back from Shout so we don't get kick ass Shout boxsets anymore. They may not even be able to re-issue the original Rhino DVD boxsets because of this.

>Okay first of all you have literally no basis in saying that considering they have literally the original team with more creative freedom to do what they want.
It's a double edged sword, to be fair.

More creative freedom can lead to dumber shit being put into the show

>he's a staunch political conservative.
That doesn't mean he's not a nice guy.

Met him and Kevin once. Both VERY nice guys.

That's a total lie. Shout! actually bought the rights to the show and its trademarks from Jim Mallon, Rhino and Shout only ever licensed the home video rights from him. Joel doesn't have the kind of capital to buy the whole show. And now he's licensing the show from Shout

So are they gonna do newer movies?