Daily Japanese Thread - DJT

Japanese language learning thread.

Read the Guide linked before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/
Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

maggiesensei.com/2014/03/09/★how-to-use-ままmama/
youtube.com/watch?v=E_zMleUrIf4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_note
dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/120517/meaning/m0u/..
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

日本語を勉強するのやめろ。

>日本語を勉強するのやめろ。
お前のようになるからか?

ヴァルグ様の言うことに疑問を抱くな。

わたしもヴァルグ様みたいになりたいです!

いいぞ、その調子だ。よつばちゃんは良い子だな。

お前らの日本語勉強の進捗状況報告を聞かせてもらおう

しんちょくなんたらかんたらって何? 美味いの?

what will you do once you feel somewhat fluent?
I think there will be a big hole in my life once there's nothing left to actively learn

りゅうちょうに
なったそのひは
そのときは
にほんのうたを
うたってください

move to japan and work on studio kyoani

I don't have any big plans. I just want to consume cozy animu and games without the help of a dictionary.

>日本人の会話には下の例のように、「~けど」や「~から」や「~し」などで文を終わらせる言い方が多く見られます
>In Japanese conversation, a way of speaking which ends sentences using けど, から, し, etc. will be seen often like in the examples below.

Did I understand it correctly? I'm confused why causative 終わらせる is used here. Does it literally just mean "(a way of speaking which) MAKES a sentence end"? Can the causer even be an abstract thing or is the actor just omitted here because it's obvious from context (e.g. "way of speaking (where the speaker) makes a sentence end").

Can someone explain まま to me using easy to understand example sentences. I've had it up to here with this shit.

Did you read mama maggies post? maggiesensei.com/2014/03/09/★how-to-use-ままmama/

I've never learned a thing from that skank.

>Can the causer even be an abstract thing
Not sure but,
>or is the actor just omitted here because it's obvious from context (e.g. "way of speaking (where the speaker) makes a sentence end").
Is probably the correct answer. Feels kind of awkward because in English it'd probably just be "a way of speaking where sentences end in..." but you know what they say, completely different languages. Also, what book is that?

>「~けど」や「~から」や「~し」などで文を終わらせる言い方が多く見られます
the way of speaking which ends a sentence with "bla bla etc." can often be seen

Is NHK easy intended for actual Japanese kids or just dumb shit foreign learners?

forgot something
終わらせる basically means to finish something, for example the expression 仕事を終わらせる = finish work

You can always keep reading harder material. For example, someone might be fluent enough to post well on Sup Forums, but that doesn't mean they will breeze through Moby Dick.

>what book is that?
tobira

>終わらせる basically means to finish something
Well I knew that which is how I could figure out the sentence without understanding it entirely, I'm just not sure what the causative form was doing unless it's just emphasizing that the sentence doesn't simply "end", but ends specifically from using these things (cause it to end). So I'm guessing the causer (the speaker) is omitted from the sentence because you can understand from context, I think.

>I'm just not sure what the causative form was doing unless it's just emphasizing that the sentence doesn't simply "end", but ends specifically from using these things (cause it to end)
there's your answer basically, you usually translate it with finish/end but it's literally "let it end" as in the speaker let's the sentence end

>So I'm guessing the causer (the speaker) is omitted from the sentence because you can understand from context, I think.
I'm not sure how to phrase it, but you'd do yourself a favor when you stop always trying to shoehorn in a "subject" ( as in concrete doer) in a sentence

How do you deal with doing reps when you're on holiday? It's really tedious

By not learning in such a boring, ineffective way?

一時間半後でこの学期の最後期末試験がある。頑張る!

What do you recommend? I learned English without anki, but that's because you can read any English without having to deal with kanji, so you just kind of pick it up from context

NHK easy is pretty much a limitless source of easy reading material.

満点取ってこい!

youtube.com/watch?v=E_zMleUrIf4

Don't listen to the Aussie. Anki is the absolute fastest way to build a vocabulary and not lose it due to lack of contact with the language. (not saying that you don't need to read if you do Anki, both are important.)

どうも、昨日一日中勉強したからあまり困ってない
それにしても、テンションが上がってきてる

When you find just one or two new words per article and you read the same simplified grammar all the time, you start questioning if you're progressing at all. It seems almost counter-intuitive to soak up all that simplified grammar, but maybe I'm just being a retard about it, anyways I finished my reps for today even after 3 beers, so I'm happy

I dunno, maybe try Exhentai.

Speaking of Exhentai, can anyone explain this conjugation to me? I know it says "let's have fun again today", but I don't understand the ending.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_note

Fuck off, Papaopolis.

is there something I can use that shows random images of objects so that I can train on memorizing words with tangible things instead of just kanji?

What do you guys think this is? A brother and sister are on bike (二人乗り) on the way home, and the brother smells a bakery. He wants to stop by on the way and says 「パン買って帰るか」 to his sister. She gets frustrated and says:「っ! お兄ちゃんのバカっ! 普通、そこは気づかなかったふりをするか、黙ってさりげなくパン屋さんに寄るかするところだよ!? お腹減ったから寄るけど!」

I think the するところ is definition 2 here dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/120517/meaning/m0u/.. but this construction is brand new to me.. and that coupled with the use of か。。。か。。 is confusing me, I'm not sure how to understand this. Any help is appreciated. This is from やはり俺の青春。。 vol. 2 if anybody is familiar.

I think this is correct:
楽しんじゃおうよ=楽しんじゃおう+よ
楽しんじゃおう is kind of a mashing together of 楽しむ and しちゃおう, the latter of which is しちゃう (derived from してしまう) with the ~おう ending (casual way of suggesting that something be done).

Fucking hell...

It's not bad, the でしまう's will get contracted into じゃう rather than ちゃう, that's all it is.

楽しんじゃう becomes 楽しんじゃおう to put some emphasis on let's have fun
that's it

It means exactly what the dictionary says.

Could you please give me a rough interpretation of it in English? I'm new to this construction. Also could you explain the use of the か's here?

Normally in this situation, you would pretend not to notice it (her stomach growling), or nonchalantly drop in the breadshop without saying anything.

Of course "would" as in "should".

How exactly did you make it all the way to page 244 if this is tripping you up?

ところ isn't just a place, it can be more abstract like a certain part in a movie, song or a situation etc.
you know this type of comedy with the characters being awkward and then for example one of them says "that's the part where we say goodbye", it's not much different from that

>Also could you explain the use of the か's here
for the lack of a better word I'd call it a combination of a quoting function and "or"

Oh, one thing I must have read wrong was it was her stomach growling and not his. I still don't quite get the second clause, is she mad that he normally doesn't ask if she wants to stop by the shop? Thanks by the way

I take it seems strange to you but that was the most confusing line for me in this volume, putting aside the pop culture references.

Thanks, I said it awkwardly, the かs I understand their function, just having trouble with the second one's content.

She's mad because she's a stupid tsundere stereotype in a slice of life novel written for horny teenage boys.

Guessing without seeing the page or knowing the characters: she's just embarrassed that he asked whether she wanted to go into the baker's shop - thereby admitting that he heard her stomach growl. The more tactful approach would have been to say *he* wanted to go to the baker's shop.

Ohh, I think that's it. It was a general counterfactual statement, not a comment about what he normally did in the past. Awesome I appreciate it

>いいぞ、その調子だ。よつばちゃんは良い子だな。
i will eat puss puss

>nothing left to actively learn

What does that even mean?

I don't think I'll every feel fluent without living in Japan for 5+ years

When (if) Japanese no longer interests me, I must find a new passion, doesn't even have to be another language. Whatever happens, I must keep my mind occupied. If it's left idle it starts to sink into depression.

I've FINALLY finished the fist volume of bakemonogatari
I started it years ago as my first LN but put it on hold, because it was too difficult at the time
now it's the 4th volume of LN that I ever finished

おめでとう

Going back to earlier obstacles that were impossible at the time and vanquishing them with ease now is a great feeling.

thanks, it was still quite a piece of work because the whole thing is almost 250 pages long
and the last third felt a bit like a chore, because of worst girl (monkey)

bump

you never learn japanese, you just become able to fool people into believing you know japanese, perhaps even yourself.

the way you're consuming english for example, except for maybe looking up a word here and there or checking spelling you don't do anything really

行先はどこアノン?

Is there a dictionary app for android that shows if the word is common or not, and has an anki card feature?
I'm able to find one or the other, but not both at the same time...

Akebi shows frequency and have lists you can port to anki

Yeah, I tried that one earlier, but you need a computer to import the csv file it creates. I'd rather do it all on the phone.

エロ同人を読むのをやめなさい!

気持ちいいけど

シットポストしないと人はオーストラリア人としての品格を疑う

Did I say that right?

Anyone here learning in a college course? What pace is it set at? Mine finishes Genki I in a year and I feel like it's too slow. What should I supplement with?

クソカキコは豪人の魂なり

i like semantic translations (fight me)

This is what one month of Anki looks like at 30/day FYI. I'm at around 1.7k words, just set up a text hooker for うたわれるもの. I am going to learn Japanese god damn it.

You feel right. Just follow the guide and never let your shitty course hold you back.

ロボットたち、日本語勉強してる?

>tfw cant even handle 10
How do you do it? How long does it take? I can't for the life of me remember any kanji and I always see myself hitting again for like 90% of the cards. Takes me about an hour+ to go through everyday as well.

Did you take a screen shot each day and put them together into a webm?

舌の下に車の鍵もあるし

learn radicals, hand write kanji, mine instead of using premade deck, do your reviews and new cards separately.

勉強する!毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日毎日

about 2 hours every day and yes, I've been saving them every day just so I can shitpost on /djt/ with progress. I write down every word as well--not sentences, just the word. It adds about 15-20 seconds per review, but I feel it's worth it and it helps retention for me.

Is くて form of i-adjectives exclusively an adjective or can it be interpreted as an adverb in lyrics/poetry?
Can 淋しくて悲しくて見つけた幸せ be interpreted as "the happiness I lonely and sadly found" besides "the lonely and sad happiness I found"? ((見つけた)淋しくて悲しくて幸せ is straightforward)

全部近所の女性と親しい関係がある

My boyfriend wants me to learn some Japanese so I can talk to him in it and I want to for him (and bc languages are cool). I know almost none. Where do I start/what am I in for?

>what am I in for

A constant feeling of failure and inadequacy.

The better part of your life devoted to memorizing a nigh-endless list of characters in a never-ending pursuit to realize the fleeting dream of fluency.

If you want to make it you need a lot more motivation than that. It can be a frustrating language to learn because of how different from English it is. What are gay Japanese boys like? It seems like they would be very shy

女みたいな男と付き合いたい

probably true ;-;
>What are gay Japanese boys like?
I wouldn't know; he's definitely not gay and only half Japanese (raised in the US)

Kill yourself roasty

早く自殺しろ

>女みたい
女らしい

Please explain.

better wording
女らしい is an existing adjective meaning "womanly"

どっちも全く問題ないぞ!

私はこのスレッドが言っていることを理解していない

できなくてもOKだよ

ありがとう