Fuck Ridley Scott

Am I literally the only one who preferred the mystery of first Alien where it was just a coincidence humans happened to encounter these fucking things?

I didn't need to know they were created by an absolute madman robot who mucked about with chemical weapons made by the Space Jockeys (hurr Engineers) who also made and hate us and who really look like albino linebackers.

What was once a vast and incomprehensible universe just became a stupidly small and predictable stellar neighborhood where everyone meets or is somehow connected with everyone else.

How the FUCK did anyone think this was a good idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PitTXwbhx5U&t=209s
variety.com/2017/film/features/ridley-scott-honored-with-hands-and-feet-ceremony-1202425184/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What was once a vast and incomprehensible universe...
...that was never the focus of those movies. Even Aliens, the fan favorite, doesn't introduce any 'lore' beside a bigger and angrier super-alien. I mean, Aliens was about rebuilding the family unit, and corporate ethics.

I agree, but it's not like Ridley went back and changed the first movie. And you still have Aliens (fuck you it's canon, Ridley).

I'm just going to pretend none of this stupid shit exists.

Lore is cancer in this case. Aliens may have been a favorite but it still departed from the mystery of the original. Everything since has been a fucking dumpster fire. The latest round is made worse by having Scott's official seal of canonical approval.

is this the final form of the neomorph>? or do they get larger spines?

Am I the only one that likes this explanation?

Also if you liked Prometheus then you have literally no reason to thing Covenant's explanation is dumb.

we will never know. That faggot crudup killed him

What if all this time you've been mistaken and liked Alien for what you thought it was rather than what it really was?

No one liked Prometheus.

what explanation? that david created them? I still don't buy that he "created" them as much as he rediscovered them. It's like he had a ship full of brownie mix boxes without instructions and he slowly was figuring out how to make the perfect brownies. The brownies already existed before he learned how to make them.

false, I liked it.

>Am I literally the only one who preferred the mystery of first Alien where it was just a coincidence humans happened to encounter these fucking things?

You're definitely not alone, that's exactly how I feel. This new shit is an absolute joke, and yes we can personally ignore it, but it'll always be there, it'll always be mentioned alongside Alien. It's inextricably connected now.

>americans had to wait until today to see Covenant

I get that, I just like the idea that the xenomorphs are the ultimate organism because they were designed specifically for killing humans.

stop being a humongous faggot I like Prometheus more than the original movies

>Prometheus 3 will end with a horribly disfigured David climbing onto a chair and starting an emergency beacon
>He will be the space jockey from Alien 1979
>you all will defend it

I liked it. I also have a feeling I might like Covenant more on a secondary watch, now that I know what to expect. !y feelings now are a bit mixed but I love talking about it.

>doesn't introduce any 'lore' beside a bigger and angrier super-alien

In all fairness, it relegates what was once a totally mysterious and bizarre organism to just space bugs. That's the inherent problem of Aliens.

At least the one good thing to come out of these movies is David.

>Aliens, the fan favorite
The pleb favorite

>a gay nazi robot

david is a manlet how will he appear to be 15 feet tall in Alien 1979?
>ur retard

Aliens and Alien is a case of the popular opinion being objectively wrong. Just like T2. Why are people so excited when kino gets turned into big dumb family popcorn movies.

HAHAHAHAHAHA ALIEN ISNT ALIEN AFTER ALL TIME TO CHANGE THE TITLE AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I've never bothered with any Alien film past Alien, because turning it into an action movie seems like the most retarded thing you could possibly do.

Exactly. That's why Aliens is the pleb favorite.
I can easily see this happening.

Truth bomb

Alien is a bad movie. All tension and suspense disappears after the chestburster scene, after which it's just one badly executed jump scare after another. It coasts by on its aesthetics, without which it would be (and in fact is) just B-movie trash. The characters also one-note cardboard cut-outs who can be reduced to memes, such as Bonus Man, and Bonus Man's friend.

its all going to plan brother

Aliens is super solid action sci-fi turned into survival movie. Third one is pretty okay of you watch Fincher's original intention assembly cut and not the butchered theatrical one.

its tailored to the US mass market were everything needs an explanation.

Well, at least it's not an embarrassing quipfest. It's still dark as fuck sci-fi. It might be a betrayal but it could have been so much worse.

But it doesnt explain shit

XENOFAGS BTFO!!!!!

>A-at least toys are good.
In all seriousness besides these little shits the full size toys look good

Go back to /tv

Oh wait, you're already here, never mind.

If you don't want new Alien movies to be made because it 'ruins' the old movie for you, then just don't watch them.
There's no way to keep the Alien franchise interesting with another story of humans visiting a place and getting killed by Aliens. The Xenomorphs are not scary anymore.

I'LL DO THE FINGERING

>It caters to US Mass market because everyone there is dumb.
>Lets release it everywhere else first

it should have been taken away from Ripley Scott.

i agree, the sense of mystery and unknown is what makes many stories appealing but some authors cant just leave it be and must explain it all thus rendering it bland.

>coincidence.
Then my rampage was for??

kek

what an abomination

>chestburster comes out and looks around
>David puts a hat on him
>it starts singing "Hello mah honey, Hello my ragtime gal" and dances out of the room

Kinda took me out of the scene to be honest

>ridleyfags will defend this

>the only good part desu

I fucking hated the moment where it becomes Dark Seed and they just dump a few unrelated Giger drawings on you

Fuck you Ridley Scott

Prometheus was a dumb persons smart film, god damn it was a mess. it if wasn't for the illogical science or the stupid so call "scientist".
i have a theory that all the real scientist got together and made up the whole cave wall drawing to get rid of the stupid scientist.
no scientist basis anything on faith not even ones that are religious.
also who signs up for a expedition with no knowledge off were they are going and what they are going to do there.
Prometheus was fucking stupid

>What was once a vast and incomprehensible universe
It was really no such thing. For it to be a vast universe there needed to be some hints of it, some small pieces of lore here and there. There was no larger stakes in Alien. Only a ship, a murderous Alien and a crew. And it worked really well for one movie, but if you want to keep the franchise going you have to build something around it, otherwise you're just remaking the same movie.
Now you might say "Well I'd rather they left it at Alien+Aliens instead of building that lore because I hate it", which could be a valid complaint, but a subjective one.
Personally I enjoy the direction they're taking this in, although they made the details of the plot shitty and on the nose in Prometheus, but imo Covenant fixed most of the shortcomings of it.
tl;dr: You have your own reasons to dislike Covenant but not everyone has to agree with you.

Yep, you're literally the only person to hold this opinion
youtube.com/watch?v=PitTXwbhx5U&t=209s

Get on Ridley's level pleb.

variety.com/2017/film/features/ridley-scott-honored-with-hands-and-feet-ceremony-1202425184/

>they were designed specifically for killing humans.
Alternatively, they were designed for the 1979 hit film Alien. The point of all the mysterious alien shit in Alien was that it's a dark mirror the humans. The derelict is Nostromo and the facehuggers hibernating in the eggs are the crew in their sleeping pods. Visiting the derelict is basically a vision or an awakening to the fact that the corporation is evil, and from that point onward the Nostromo becomes a dangerous, scary place that the crew feel trapped in. Kane's transformation into the alien is the idea of a 'better' worker, one without morals that blends into the ship's texture much like the jockey had become a physical extension of the derelict. The humans perceive the alien-Kane as a hostile monster because they don't like the idea of being mindless corporate drones.

>muh aliens

>thinking man's scary movie
That's Jacob's Ladder

I don't know, I enjoyed them in the film

sad!

>i didnt sign up for this

>What was once a vast and incomprehensible universe just became a stupidly small and predictable stellar neighborhood where everyone meets or is somehow connected with everyone else.

This is inevitable in any detailed mythology.

>1st season X-Files
"The truth is out there, Mr. Mulder!"

>Last season X-Files
"Lol I'm your father Mulder and I'm behind the alien invasion that will kill everyone but I still love you"

why did they give it a fukn goblin shark mouth
the prometheus concept art had it right

because ridley is a fucking hack

>For it to be a vast universe there needed to be some hints of it

Space Jockey ship was a pretty huge hint. It was great speculating if the eggs were cargo or weapons or experiments or something that has no equivalent human concept. It made humanity seem small and insignificant to all the weird and unknowable shit going on.

Why did the pilot even let the sick man on the ship?
Why didn't she tell the others there is an alien in the other sick guy?
Why do they all trust David and give him sensitive information?
Why does nobody ask what the city is, and why there are people on an alien planet?
Why didn't christcuck just blow David's brain out when he was clearly coo-coo for the coco puffs?
Was that his mom? I mean they didnt kiss , just hug, and she looked 70
Why didn't Daniels throw the guy out when he was clearly infected? Why didn't David? He had all the embryos and a xeno on the ship just caused problems
Why didn't Daniels notice David's wounds aren't healing?
Why didn't black guy and coalburner commit mutiny when redneck risked 2000 people to save his wife?
Why did David crash the ship?
Why did Shaw record the song on the ship? Was she stupid?
How did David misremember the author of Ozymandias? Isn't he a robutt?
How were there eggs without a queen? Why wasn't there a chestburster? Why did he grow full sized in two minutes?
Why would David make eggs when the spores are a lot more effective?
How did David survive without weapons? Did he talk to the aliens? Did he talk to every single one of them?
Why did Daniels look like a fat jewish boy?

Whyyyyyyy

Why were the whole race of engineers located in a single city on a single planet?

>Was that his mom? I mean they didnt kiss , just hug, and she looked 70
wut?

Half of these are legitimate questions and the other half are autism.

>Why didn't Daniels throw the guy out when he was clearly infected?
because he wasn't clearly. He just had acid burns on his face.

and maybe she didn't know about walter's super healing.
Yes shaw was stupid
David is a robot, but him "misremembering" is to show that he's capable of being flawed, like humans

why no helmet

If I want to rewatch Prometheus, should I watch the Agent 9 edit or the Weyland Investors edit?

hahahaha this is a great example of overthinking something.

Like most film makers, they think humans are more interesting than the monsters. The xeno and it's lifecycle is what we wanted from these films, how it came to be on the nostromo.

But in desperate attempts to do one better than fan and comic/game backstories (as well as kep pumping the franchise for sequel cash) were currently at a place where the few fragments we do know are a jumbled mess.

After Covenant, we now know that the Deacon alien and its squid mother means nothing. Its probably dead on that first planet now. Prometheus meant nothing, it was a snack stop to switch cars and pick up a macguffin of ooze.

This franchise is fucking done, and no amount of Fassbender pole smoking will save it.

>overthinking
Only from the perspective of someone who doesn't think at all.

i had to hold back like sustained, gutbusting laughter during the flute scene between walter and david. i've never seen something so fucking absurd and hilarious. scott should team up with tim and eric.

Any stream of this shit?

>How were there eggs without a queen?

Xenomorphs can potentially make eggs out of victims in the absence of a queen. It was a cute scene from the original 1979 film so I don't know how canon it is, but it did show the possibility being there with no queen.

cut*

alien is a pretty straightforward movie, and in no way does it ever hint towards some larger allegory about corporate ethics. you can think whatever you want, but just know that you sound and look like a giant idiot.

the alien represents a scary alien
the evil corporation facilitates the scary alien getting on board the ship
the crew members represent crew members
there is no symbolism.

That's not to say it isn't one of the best films of the 20th century, but your analysis is just retarded.

Honestly was that scene supposed to be funny? Sexual undertones have always been present in Alien so in thinking Ridley knew what he was doing.

Aliens are best left as a natural insect species that threatens life in the universe. They don't need a convoluted back-story.

Prometheus would have been better if it was basically the same story, but wasn't hampered by cramming Aliens into the film. It was just a marketing ploy.

I'll do the fingering

>What was once a vast and incomprehensible universe just became a stupidly small and predictable stellar neighborhood where everyone meets or is somehow connected with everyone else.
This happens to everything and I think it's just the depressing inevitability of taking a story to its logical conclusion without having it be a different story. It's just the natural tendency of people to want to see "more" requiring that "more" to be identifiably the same. It's also the same reason why making theories about unrelated movies being set in the same universe is so fun.

>one of the best films of the 20th century
Why is it, though? No film deserves to be called one of the best movies of a century based on vague merits like "cool monster design" or "atmosphere".

>contrarians who liked prometheus better than alien
>vs contrarians who liked prometheus better than this movie
>vs contrarians who just hate everything that's new
>vs aliens > alien faggots who wanted a blomkamp movie and just hate ridley scott

These fucking threads, man.

>mystery of first Alien where it was just a coincidence humans happened to encounter these fucking things?

Literally a myth. The company deliberately rerouted the Nostromo's route to gather the specimen.
>What was once a vast and incomprehensible universe
Literally a millenial myth. Most of Alien takes place in claustrophobic corridors and vents.

Nah. You can reasonably expect that most of those people who thought ancient aliens is a "deep" concept are also the ones making up all the "30 years of mythology" bullshit.
Neomorphs are literally fucking amazing. Ridley did the right thing by expanding on xenobiology while also denying the individual weakness portrayed in Aliens.
Neos and Xenos are literal killing machines now. Beautiful.

What a manchild.
I guess you're not a thinking man.

David, please go.

i can't tell. the whole movie was bad so i'm thinking more that scott is too old to care and is just trying to pad his bank account for his family before he dies.

Its the george lucas prequel effect, where suddenly everyone knew each other since before they were born and baby darth vader built c3p0 and all that shit.

Only somehow worse.

I think riddley scott has brain rott or something.

Either you make a spooky "boo here goes the alien" movie or you explain the origins of the xenomorphs and actually GO to the space jockey homeworld but make it some nighmareish world of hr giger biohorror.

whats the difference between the two neomorphs in the movie?

>Weyland Investors edit
Link?

This is exactly what I fear is gonna happen.

hes a robot, riddley will make it work>Alien is a bad movie. All tension and suspense disappears after the chestburster scene, after which it's just one badly executed jump scare after another. It coasts by on its aesthetics, without which it would be (and in fact is) just B-movie trash. The characters also one-note cardboard cut-outs who can be reduced to memes, such as Bonus Man, and Bonus Man's friend.

I think part of the problem is that he outgrew giger. Not like in that he's better than him or whatever, but as in he's an old man now and doesn't really care about the giger aesthetic and probably even wants to separate himself from it to prove to himself that people liked alien because of his work and not giger's

I think he's talking about this TedTalk scene.

Nah, Ridley is going to reuse the original ending of Alien for the next movie, but with David instead.

I expected this to happen since Prometheus and I've been okay with it since then.

>Alien is a bad movie. All tension and suspense disappears after the chestburster scene, after which it's just one badly executed jump scare after another. It coasts by on its aesthetics, without which it would be (and in fact is) just B-movie trash. The characters also one-note cardboard cut-outs who can be reduced to memes, such as Bonus Man, and Bonus Man's friend.
It makes more sense when you realize that it's a medicore director carried by stellar art direction and photography.
Look at scott's own design for the alien for proof as to what a piece of b-movie schlok it would have been.