/lang/ - Language Learning

Language Learning Thread

>Learning resources
First and foremost check the Sup Forums Wiki. Please contribute to the wiki as you learn a new language. Many pages need updates. Some pages are completely absent (Hungarian for example)

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check """pastebin.com/ACEmVqua (embed)"""; for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
sys.Sup Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdrive.google.com%2Ffolderview%3Fid%3D0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk%23 (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

Other urls found in this thread:

nachrichtenleicht.de/
youtube.com/watch?v=j11Qy4dL67g
youtube.com/watch?v=dtf8zGQj9GY&list=PLfLdA1jGDSu6exdSf9yQJWKgNqPviO4b4
french-stream.co/
ktspeechwork.com/books/
libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=5DE5A904ECCC3BF77707E4F6F1BA7963
gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=EF324903729B686DA6F409EC7345C263
libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=A957E6299D2EF8A623D6C334613F865D
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you havent been skipping on your slavic practice, havent you?

i'm forgetting English

>practicing slavic
>not getting slavic from slavic machine
Stop forgetting.

bump

If I put my card in there will it redistribute my wealth equally among my countrymen?

No, a Russian hacker will just drain your account.

What's the best audio course for French?

i'm really confused by the 'das' in German it could mean 'this' and 'that'? how do you notice that?

Basically, 'das' is the direct article of neuter gender('the' House) but in colloquial speech it is used as a demonstrative pronoun('This' is shit). 'Das' is also a relative pronoun(The house that/which is shit). Articles and relative pronouns have to agree with the number and gender of the noun they are referring to.

Assimil.

then there is daß (or dass) which is the other kind of that

heh

I'm not sure if anyone else does this but one thing I discovered recently was LingQ. I import articles from nachrichtenleicht.de/ because the articles come with audio. So I can read, listen, and pick out words or phrases I don't understand. Seems to be effective, and at least the vocabulary this way.

Kiel fartas via edukado Esperanta, anonimuloj?

I'd sooner learn Klingon.

Would you please explain that app to me a bit? I don't really get how it's any different from just adding words in Anki.

Help me learn german por favor!

I'm forgetting Spanish...

The funny thing is that I'm not even joking, today I was unable to read some words on class because I thought it was some garbage-tier English.

I'm not really sure how anki works, isn't it just flashcards? With LingQ I just use the browser extension to import news articles in German. Then I click on words I don't know as I read/listen to the article. This way instead of learning vocab via isolated flashcards you are being exposed to words in context while engaging with actual content.

I'm starting to think that the Duolingo and flashcard methods of learning are only useful early on and their use should be gradually tapered off.

It is just flashcards, but you don't import some deck, preferably you create your own deck with words you bump into, so that it's relevant to your study.

The browser extension seems very useful, I hate reading news but I'll try it with some easy German books.

I agree Duolingo is useless past a point but the flashcards system seems to me the best way to memorize words. Obviously you don't need to use an app for that once you're B2 and can derive meaning out of context.

How do i learn the slavic/spanish r? It's a rolling r but I can only do the r with the back side of my throat(German r) which is also different from the english r. I was mocked by every slavic guy in my childhood because of that and now that i want to learn spain I need to practice the rolling r.

Put your tongue a little before your upper teeth and try making a trill.

Maybe he's referring to
"das hier" and "das da"

it's harder than it sounds. i've tried but using it in a word is difficult

youtube.com/watch?v=j11Qy4dL67g
>tongue twister are useful for this problem

Does anybody know where one can learn about all the different terms they use to describe a language's sounds and structure? I keep seeing references to 'indefinite articles' and 'diphthongs' and I have no idea what they mean, let alone how to pronounce words with IPA. Is it just a case of learning all these things by looking them up as they appear?

ol facas male, pro ke me lernas ido.

youtube.com/watch?v=dtf8zGQj9GY&list=PLfLdA1jGDSu6exdSf9yQJWKgNqPviO4b4

Just look up grammar and linguistic related articles on wikipedia, it'll tell you the basics for all those concepts without having to look at hours of videos with a numale soyboy explaining those concepts in a watered down and normie way like

I thought Austrians rolled their R's

Thanks lads. The video series doesn't look terrible, at the very least it can supplement any learning from articles.

Only leant what adjectives and verbs were a few days ago.

What did they teach you in school?

the german r is close to the reverse of the thrilled r
hold your tongue curved to the place where the teeth end and push air
if your tongue flaps properly, then you should have it down

Apparently anglos study english in a "natural" way, simple by reading, listening and writing. They don't analyse their language and as a result these concepts fly through their heads during school.
Brits and Americans come up with questions like these too which lead me to think it's their school's method.
As someone who had to know these concepts at 8-9 it still baffles me desu

It isn't only the schools' methods, it's the English language in general. In Ontario for example, the curriculum for French schools has students learning proper grammar for French, whereas the curriculum for the English language in Anglo schools is piss easy and doesn't teach proper grammar, basically assuming that people figure stuff out intuitively without knowing why things function a certain way. English is an easy mutt language, which Americans, Aussies and Anglos still struggle to learn even though it's their only fucking language, probably because the teaching in school is lacking when it comes to linguistics.

The extent of the Australian curriculum for language is essentially learn the alphabet when your 5 and 6 years old and then its straight to critical reading. I remember when I was about 7,we would have to read basic books and answer questions related to them and this continued to highschool, where we started to doing essay and creative writing.

But yeah, we don't learn any of the linguistics of our own or any other foreign language (when I did French for a while, it was the same as above).

The Australian curriculum, South Australian especially, has been called out for being absolute dogshit for the last decade. There are constant complaints each year from unis about under prepared students and yet the education board refuses to change a system that's been outdated for many years.

I don't struggle learning about my own language, like other anglos (I think), it's just a case of finding what needs to be learnt in the first place. And it just so happens that what needs to be learnt is being found from learning other languages.

>But yeah, we don't learn any of the linguistics of our own or any other foreign language (when I did French for a while, it was the same as above).

Seriously? We spent like half of our time till 8th grade or so on grammar. The comma rules alone took like half a year iirc.

¿Por qué creen algunas personas que Español es difícil?

>The comma rules alone took like half a year iirc.
You are like a little child.

de lene

>when your 5 and 6 years old and then its straight to critical reading
>your
You see? This is what I mean. These types of mistakes are inexcusable when you only had one language to learn during the first 20 years of you life, especially when other places in the world have young adults knowing three different languages.
>I don't struggle learning about my own language, like other anglos (I think)
I think you may want to revise that.

Won't you be my daddy?

Could YOU be my daddy? :3

Please give me your big German cock desu

Finally this fucking general is back.

Wish me luck with Finnish you fucking niggers.

We were always here, user.

Also, good luck (you'll need it)

I'm lusting for your Lukanka

A million wishes for luck for the million cases.
I am dying for your Bratwurst desu

Yeah that was pretty bad.
Forgive me for all I am.

As we said, it's not entirely your fault since the school system is lacking in English speaking countries. I'm simply appalled almost every day that even thought English isn't isn't my mother tongue, it's still better than what most monolingual Anglos can muster.

We are literally learning about the structure of grammatical cases and conjugations in the first 4 years of elementary schools.

I don't remember shit about it though desu

I have it all remembered. It helped me a lot when studying foreign languages. I can tell you the difference between a concessive adverbial modal subordinate clause and a conditional adverbial modal clause, nigga.

luck with Finnish you fucking niggers
That's good enough, right?

>I can tell you the difference between a concessive adverbial modal subordinate clause and a conditional adverbial modal clause, nigga.
I...I just want Bulgarian dick

>I'm simply appalled almost every day that even thought English isn't isn't my mother tongue, it's still better than what most monolingual Anglos can muster.
i'm pretty sure you can't be better than a native speaker, in any language.

>simply appalled almost every day that even thought English isn't isn't my mother tongue

>i'm pretty sure you can't be better than a native speaker, in any language.
>when your 5 and 6 years old

Boys I really want go hard on french. My base vocabulary is decent, I can read and understand most words in a book.

How do I progress to conversational french.

Immersion

Find some francophone friends

Their point is if he is going to be anal about your and you're then he shouldn't have mixed though with thought nor he should have written "isn't" twice in his phrase.
Mastery of a language can't be gauged by reading messages written in a nepalese forum about leaked photos of ethiopian celebrities
Tbf this conversation is extremely pointless. You all should go back to study your target languages

You download HelloTalk and call people every day. That's what I did.

Is watching movies or playing vidya in the target language effective? If so, any recommendations?

Which language are you learning btw?

Worked for me for English
But to be fair, I sound like a guard from Wolfenstein when I try to speak it
MEIN LEBEN

>can't speak German to save my life
>can passively understand it like a native
SO FUCKING FRUSTRATING

How is your oral comprehension? If the answer is not that great I highly recommend watching vids, movies (no subtittles on) and listening to french radio.
I suggest
>radio.garden
Try listening to franceinfo and europe1, both from paris
>french-stream.co/
They have several dubbed french movies. From the newest to some classics.

Bonne chance

Oh come on you can't be that bad
You'll eventually get used to it

What do you mean? They are effective in the way that they are complementing practice in addition regular study but you will hardly be able to consume media geared towards natives from the get-go. It can be more frustrating than helpful, in fact.

Native speakers think I'm literally retarded

You can certainly be better at the standard language than most native english speakers, because us native speakers don't actually speak the standard mostly.
solo los brainlets creen eso
as the other lads already said, there are decent resources online. But you're right in that we aren't taught shit here. I majored in Linguistics, and even some of the other students really struggled wrapping their head around super basic things at the start.
It depends on how you learn desu. I find there isn't one size fits all. From my personal experience, it only really helps once you're at a near conversational level in the language. The framework for me always comes from textbooks, then I use media and literature to fill in my vocab
What I'm currently doing for Croatian and Spanish is keeping a little notebook and everytime I learn a new word, I write it down in the book, then before bed I revise the books. I find the books mostly through telegram, kik, books and news sites.

Worked for me both in english and french.
I recommend pokemon or any rpg really.That way there is loads of text and no need to blast through it, meaning you can take your time

French.

Nah they don't. I mean if you read post from people, whose native language isn't English, you don't immediately think, that they're retarded do you?

I was hoping for something more exotic like Sumerian but good luck m8

>I find the books mostly
I find the words*
kek

your and you're are homophones. both the original writer and anyone who is reading it could understand what was meant, regardless of the error . misspelling something isn't an indication that you're somehow bad at using your native language, especially on what's basically an informal forum, where you're inevitably going to be caring less about formal writing conventions and lapse into a style of speech or writing that's more natural to you. it's kind of a weird thing to point out at all desu, considering that the rest of the post sounds entirely natural, to me at least.

Thanks. Going for the DELF B2 in two months.

Does anyone know whether it would be more useful to learn French than Moroccan Arabic, or vice versa, if going to Morocco? Namely the cities of Casablanca, Rabat, and maybe Tangier. I already know Spanish and Portuguese so French would for sure take less time to get a hang of.

Like others have said, really the only way is to get out there and start talking. Somewhat similar to what said,
When you talk to people, keep a notebook and write down any new words that you learn, as well as any grammatical concepts that you may find yourself missing to say what you need to say.
When conversing in a foreign language, think of it as mapping a path, and mark the spots where you get stuck. If that makes sense.
Watch lots of videos in french with FRENCH subtitles and throw on some french news station in the background when you're doing chores or something. I did this for Spanish so I don't have any French resources to link you but I'm sure you can find some. Good luck man.

About a third of Morocco speaks French. It's manadatory in school over there. Tbh if you're planning on just staying in cities, I'd probably do that. Normally people who speak prestige languages like French will be in the cities while people who speak languages of lower prestige, like berber, tend to live in the rural towns.
Plus, as you mentioned, French would be easy for you to learn.

Practice speaking more?

how lon did it take you to understand german so well?

I know this feel all too well

t. anglo

only the ones close to the german/bavarian border

I finished 53% of A1 Norwegian!

>A1
>3059 words
That seems very high desu
I'd expect A1 to be somewhere between 1000 and 2000 words

The course is like this

Chapter 1
> 10 "vocab words"
> 10 sentences using those 10 vocab words

Chapter 2
> 10 "vocab words"
> 10 sentences using those 10 vocab words

etc. So it's more like "1500" words in the course

I want to read about the evolution of Spanish ortography

I've finished learning 한글, just pronunciations/reading/writing. where do I go next to actually start learning the language? Do I just use the beginner Korean PDF in the MEGA?

howtostudykorean.com

Anybody here who've bought or paid to some subscriptions, learning programs or such?

10q user

>less than 100 cards to review

the fuck did you say to me you little bitch?

ktspeechwork.com/books/

An Introduction to English Grammar, Longman Grammar, Syntax and Phonology
libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=5DE5A904ECCC3BF77707E4F6F1BA7963

Practical phonetics and phonology : a resource book for students
gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=EF324903729B686DA6F409EC7345C263

A Practical Introduction to Phonetics
libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=A957E6299D2EF8A623D6C334613F865D

It feels good as hell though.

Absolutely erotic

Going to study now!

Rock me all the time to the top