Was he a replicant?

was he a replicant?

Ya, that's going to be a plot point in the new movie. Ford's character is experiencing the aging that Roy experienced and now Gosling will have to kill him.

Scott fucking confirmed he was a replicant, so canonically yes.

A better question is, did they actually film Blade Runner with this in mind, or did Ridley just tack it on years later for attention?

Interesting fact: In the book he has doubts about being Human when a replicant tries to put doubt in deckards mind.
But turns out he was human.
The movie tries to put doubt in the viewers mind whether he's human or not.

He's a rapist.

No, but he was a cutie

He was an owl

There were two writers. One of them wrote a line for Deckard like "I wonder how I'll react when the time my maker gave me runs out", and the other writer thought it meant he was a replicant. Scott liked the idea so he put it in the film.

He was a replican

The story works way better if Deckard is a human.

>An increasingly dehumanized Blade Runner is forced to hunt down and kill a group of increasingly "human" replicants
>In the finale, Deckhard himself is hunted down, yet ultimately spared, in order to show him what he has been doing to the replicants his entire career
>Deckard is able to develop some empathy for them

The twist just seems completely pointless and inconsequential.

"Oh he's a replicant too...neat"

Theatrical: No. Director's/Final Cut: Yes.

Yes, he was built by Weyland

>The twist just seems completely pointless and inconsequential.
Honestly, I think that was the point. It was to test if the viewer actually understood the point of the film, and whether or not they make a big deal out of it.

Where do you buy that shirt? Are replicants /fa/?

I recall that when that secretary is visiting Deckard's apartment she asks him if he took that Turing test and he didnt answer

But at the end of the movie Rutger Hauer bashes through a wall and grabs Deckard's arm and starts breaking his fingers, and he was feeling pain, so I doubt he was a replicant. Also that one replicant bats his pistol out of his hand when he is holding it on him which would not have happened if he was a replicant.

Harrison himself said that he played a human, even if Ridley wanted him to be a secret replicant.

Why where the replicants even created.?

Off-world mining

Not in the book he wasn't

also sex
>tfw no pleasure model roy to fuck and cuddle with at night
sad world we live in

Theatrical - no
International - no
Director - no?
Final - yes
Ridley Scott nterviews - yes

>Honestly, I think that was the point. It was to test if the viewer actually understood the point of the film
What is this? A movie or a fucking quiz? Movies are subject to interpretation. There's the creators intent and the actual impact on the audience. Fuck off with your auteur shit.

Then what does the unicorn symbolize in those versions?

This poor boy is clearly on the spectrum

Yes, the DC makes this very clear. Scott fucked up and the film is worse for it.

I've only ever seen the final cut, what's different in other ones? Is anything omitted?

The unicorn plants the seed but doesn't exactly confirm it. It's more ambiguous than an outright no to him being a replicant. In the final cut it's obvious he is.

Meant final cut

This.
It's my favorite movie, but that scene is iffy.

That's too vague for my tastes desu

The unicorn doesn't really make sense without the sequence, way too ambiguous

reverse search turned up this

i thought ridley said so, and now ive heard he has taken it back
>this is what your favorite directors do when someone waves cash in front of their face

It looks perfect, fixed the number of replicants, added dubstep credits track, fixed the Zhora body double, and confirms Deckard as a replicant.

kill yourself newfag

Fuck I only seen the movie today
What happens in the final cut

The unicorn isn't even needed in the final cut because of the red glowing eyes.

>and confirms Deckard as a replicant.
Technically speaking this isn't true, they added in Deckard daydreaming about a unicorn

The unicorn scene was already in the directors cut, it's extended in the final cut.

Then how does a slightly extended scene confirm him being a replicant but the shorter one doesn't?

Right. It's like with every new version Scott gets closer to just having Deckard look at the camera and say, "Yes, I'm a replicant."

>movies having 100 different cuts to be sold again and again for vidya gaym audience

straight into the trash it goes

Unicorn scene, origami, red eyes, "you've done a mans job"

Scott smears it in our faces that Deckard's a replicant

it works if he's a replicant too.

I'll never understand why people are so against him being one. In the end it doesn't really matter that much.

(You)

making deckard have super human abilities would have defeated the purpose of making him a replicant in the first place tho. He was an experiment, just like Rachel.

Theatrical cut = no
DC + FC = yes

>one of the three little doodads Gaff made was similar to something Deckard dreamed about, therefore he is a Replicant

Hackiest shit ever.

Yeah, Deckard being a human has more meaning.

Why would you use an experimental inferior replicant as a bladerunner?

Final Cut is basically the same as the Director's Cut but also cleans up some audio/visual mistakes that have been around since the original release. It was supervised by Ridley and is his definitive version of the film.

why would you have humans? Why not just make an army of Roys and have them do it?

Who knows. Weyland was probably doing it for kicks, given his propensity for experiments.

to avoid detection

because it's transparently a plot-twist for plot-twist's sake.
>devote God only knows how many man hours and money to create a fully stocked life for a deluded robot that doesn't display any capabilities that surpass a basic human, to occasionally hunt down other superior robots which outclass it in evey way.

For what purpose, other than to give pseudointellectuals something to waggle their dicks about?

No but he's a disgusting Democrat

>more human than human is our motto

Don't you guys pay attention when watching movies?

What propensity for experiments exactly?
Basic tech R&D you'd find in any corporation? It's a dumb plot-twist that doesn't make sense in universe.
>to avoid detection
By who?
His own organization that is tasked with hunting down replicants, and would clearly be aware of the fact that he's a replicant, since they have to pretend he's a veteran cop?

>More human than human

Weyland was chasing something when he made Rachel but she wasn't quite there. "She's beginning to suspect" were Weyland's own words. So he took it a step further with Deckard.

thank god someone else gets it

>>devote God only knows how many man hours and money to create a fully stocked life for a deluded robot that doesn't display any capabilities that surpass a basic human, to occasionally hunt down other superior robots which outclass it in evey way.
Tbh given the beating he takes throughout the movie he quite clearly has some superhuman traits of his own.

Also he kills two of them and only gets beaten by the hardened battle models, and even those were pretty close fights considering,

What does that have to do with what I said?
How does the motto "more human than human" justify solving the issue of rogue robots on earth in the most rube goldbergian method possible?

pretend you're Weyland. Which sounds like a better scenario?

>Police hire humans to be blade runners
>high mortality rate (as evidence by Holden's run in with Leon)
>Cant find anyone to do the job anymore

OR

>Make replicants that hunt replicants
>Replicants think they're human, can implant any memories you want into them to make them do what you want
>Be the sole supplier of a much needed piece of tech to the police
>?????
>profit

Which makes more sense? You also have to consider Weyland's ego in all this. Dude lives at the top of a fucking giant pyramid ffs. More human than human. His creations would be the superior race. He's a God among men.

>Tbh given the beating he takes throughout the movie he quite clearly has some superhuman traits of his own.
Plausible but not convincing in my opinion. He takes a beating clearly, but not enough of one that it defies the expectations of what a human movie character could endure. Which you couodnof course argue is a deliberate choice by the director, but again that ties into my complaint of the plot serving the twist rather than the twist serving the plot.

>Which you couodnof course argue is a deliberate choice by the director,
And even this is unlikely. It depends how much benefit of the doubt you want to give Ridley.

OR...
He could just sell the police proper replicants for cheaper and keep the experimental prototype ones around in his pyramid where they wont get wrecked, like he did with Rachel.

>it's illegal to use Replicants on earth though so that's why they have to use the prototype stealth model that acts human
So the plan is to sell illegal robots to the police who simultaneously do and do not know they're using replicants as bladerunners to replace human officers?
Smart.

>Weyland
b8/10

Will he be a replicant?

Naw. They'd need the more advanced models like Deckard and Rachel to do the blade runner work. If they knew their true nature they'd fuck right off, just like Roy & co did. And what you already said about the legality of replicants on earth.

And IMO the police chief (bryant?) and Gaff knew what Deckard really was. I think that's why Gaff pal'd around with Deckard so much. To make sure he was functioning properly.

There's actually a cool theory that Deckard is a replicant with Gaff's memories. Hence the unicorn origami, and a few other things.

Tyrell wanted to create perfect humans, not imba droids

>Mfw

Good catch. Saw new Alien today, cant keep that shit straight anymore. Tyrell. You know what I mean.

What was the best cut Sup Forums?

Objectively the Final Cut

>They'd need the more advanced models like Deckard and Rachel to do the blade runner work.
I disagree.
They already use them for assassinations, using them to hunt down replicants is no different.
>Kill this guy.
>OK.
The practical logistical differences are miniscule. Furthermore, considering they are weapons of war, it's not implausible that replicant on replicant combat isn't already a normal aspect of a replicant's function.

The big obstacle is legality, which fucks over the advanced replicants just as hard any way.

I noticed too but have been shitposting in alien threads all day and was too lazy to Google the guy's name so just assumed the Blade runner Alien connection was canon and I had forgotten.

Don't beat yourself up.

WE WUZ MANDOS

>The practical logistical differences are minuscule

I'm not so sure. A human blade runner dying in the line of duty is way more of a hassle than a replicant blade runner dying. And I still say they'd be easier to control:
>implant memory that replicant killed their family
>wtf I hate replicants now!

>considering they are weapons of war, it's not implausible that replicant on replicant combat isn't already a normal aspect of a replicant's function.

That is true. But they still have deserters so obviously there must be some empathy for their own kind. And for humans, given Roy's final actions before death.

also they were used as combat troops
remember "Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion"

>implying Batty wasn't just making that shit up to emasculate Deckard even more
Subtext is everything lads

Only opened this thread to post this.

Book: no
Movie: yes but its ambiguous