28 years later

>28 years later
>still the best capecomic ever made to date

How's this possible?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fremdschämen
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's not

It's not, it's just your favorite. Which is fine.

>TKJ
>best anything

It's good, but I'd be hard pressed to call it the best.

It's not even the best Alan Moore non-Vertigo DC comic.

even Alan Moore thought it was shit

best comic or best story? because I can think of a lot of runs better than KJ on the whole

Dark Knight Returns >>>> Killing Joke

Only good thing was the art. Alan Moore is an overrated faggot.

Yeah, I know Moore has distanced himself form his DC work, but I've never seen him slam Watchman or Swamp Thing the way he does KJ. Of course he always makes sure to mention that Bolland's work is amazing

I feel like it's the Mona Lisa of comics. It's an excellent comic that's only known as the best because it's the most famous.

You could give it a "best" at turning a shitty character a interesting character.

this
KJ is one little graphic novel in the sprawling history of capeshit over 70 years in the making
OP should've titled his thread
>ITT: things casuals say

i guess because it's not really a cape comic

KJ isn't even best at that.

Really? I always thought that Barbara Gordon had the best status quo change. Wich one do you prefer?

Of all the Joker backstories, this is the only one I like.

The "He just doesn't really know but still obviously cares" part, not the "pregnant wife ded" bit specifically.

Mosaic with John Stewart. May have been an ongoing but that's John at his best and changed him from second fiddle to Hal to his own person.

Killing Jokes good but shallow as fuck. Batmans had better, Moores written better.

KJ didn't turn Babs into anything. All that work was done by John Ostrander and Kim Yale over in Suicide Squad

This meme needs to stop. Just because something's become popular, doesn't mean it's bad.

Well, it had three problems for Alan Moore:
1) The rape wasn't explicit enough.
2) The women sexually abused weren't young enough.
3) There wasn't a gratuitous swipe at Margaret Thatcher.

Just because it's not best anything doesn't mean it's bad, user.

But that's not Kingdom Come...

The art's better than Kingdom Come

That's a good one, kid.

If you genuinely think Kingdom Come is the best superhero comic of all time, you're probably a stupid person.

welcome to Sup Forums

That's not Daredevil: Born Again

Even ignoring what I'm about to say, I think KJ is good at what it is, but still below several other stories out there. However, I will say KJ is a better literary work than Born Again. BUT, Born Again is the definitive comic book story. It perfectly encapsulates and expresses the main character, several cameo characters, provides a satisfying arc for both the protagonist and the villain, and in general is just absolutely spot on as a comic book story. Most other contenders for 'bestest evah' get their nod for their theme, or clever mechanics, or being pretty.

Welcome to all of Sup Forums.

>OP should've titled his thread
>>ITT: things casuals say
I think that'd weaken the point of the thread, which is OP fishing for reactions/starting an argument

He didn't say it's bad, he said it's just not the best anything, and I have to agree.

Panelling is ultra boring, plot is interesting but the development of the story is kinda eh, and Batman himself is basically a caricature of what Batman actually is.

But the art is great, the atmosphere is top notch and the length is great for multiple rereads, which I think this comic deserves since there's a lot to enjoy on a second or even third read.

I like it, I read it from time to time, it's just not the best anything. It's a good story.

Kek

Capecomics are just that shitty in general

Any person with half a brain has a strict no-tolerance for capeshit policy

Whenever I see them on shelves in shelf threads I feel embarrassed

I put Year One and Born Again in the same category: prime examples of what cape comics should aspire to be.

Miller and Mazzucchelli just really get it.

The panelling, the sequencing of action, the narratives, the dialogue, the story development, the beats, the narrative and visual framings; it's just good sequential art.

I really wish they had done more shit together.

>feeling embarrassed for the hobbies of other people

I feel pity whenever I see someone being a complete douche and thinking that's what it means to be a mature adult.

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fremdschämen

I can't help it

>I can't help it

You can, it's called not being a pretentious asshat.

I would argue that it was one of the most damaging comics of its time, and helped pave the way to the excess of the 90s, but I don't have a tl;dr copypasta of my views written out and it's really not worth my time.

If it's your first adult cape comic, you're free to like it, but I hope in a few years you can look back and see its shortcomings without the rose-tinted glasses.

>How's this possible?
You have shit taste is how.

Batman RIP was better

Odd, that isn't The Dark Knight Returns.

Good taste.

Probably my second favorite after The Dark Knight Returns.

I found it boring and tryhard.batgirl getting shot was the only interesting thing about it.
if that is true than it just shows how shit comics have been. also iconic does not always =good

I like Alan Moore, but KJ is really overrated.

>How's this possible?
You not reading another comic in 28 years, I'm assuming.

If comic book stories had a hall of fame, it would get in. But it would be more like a George Brett, in that it's great at a lot of things, but the best at nothing.

Fuck right off, Thatcher deserves every inch she gets. She couldn't care less about who she was giving it to when she was on top.

Yeah, sure. 'Best cape comic' in general is going a little overboard, but it is one of the best Joker stories out there.

You keep telling yourself that.

I'd vote Multiversity for "new greatest capecomic." It's grandiose, show-off-y and clever. It's full of formalist experiments that enhance the story, it addresses the genre with affection and expertise. And connects the superhero genre to bigger ideas without belittling the appeal of superheroes or of reading mere comic books.

you posted the wrong pic OP

All good choices.

Not even Moore's best DC work, OP.

Snyder's Court of Owls arc is better

>ITT: Great cape comics that came out after Killing Joke

You're right, that Superman comic isn't Moore's best work.

It's better than TKJ.

That's not Swamp Thing

Another prerequisite

>Peace on Earth
>great

No

It did win an Eisner the year it came out. And it launched a line of books by the same creative time in the same format.
What don't you like about it?

Whilst we're all posting Superman stories that are better than TKJ.

In all honesty, the best cape book is still The Dark Phoenix Saga. The sheer epic scale of the saga, one of the medium's first uses of crossover story telling, the iconography of the artwork, and the lasting effect it has had on both comics and pop culture. I know someone is going to say that the story telling is dated, but it's a surprisingly quick read for a Claremont book. Still, in my opinion, the definitive cape story.

>And connects the superhero genre to bigger ideas without belittling the appeal of superheroes or of reading mere comic books.
Sure made me feel stupid for not getting any of it except Thunderworld, though.

What is exactly what makes Astro City so good?
I mean, I definitely can tell it's great: every time I read one chapter it always leaves with some sort of strong "it has been a worthy read" feeling that I don't tend to get with other series.
But for some reason I cannot identify what are the specific points that make it that good.

Are you on crack

Even Moore says it's not his best work

You are a gentleman and a scholar

And also my nigga

Casuals get out