‘Captain America: Civil War’ Crossing $1B Global Box Office Today; #1 Movie Of 2016

Alright Sup Forums, here's a question for you.

Since these movies have a very large audience, how do we make some of these viewers read comics too? The comic industry is on its death bed and yet the movies keep making millions of dollars.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MYcqToQzzGY
youtu.be/1w7Ol1qDg-o
youtube.com/watch?v=KkHDdUhA_tQ
youtube.com/watch?v=qrXwAeJ87Bk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You can't. People just don't like to read.

MAKE COMICS CHEAPER

By not making them awful

Will it surpass AoU?

The Comics are shit To be Honest brub. The MCU is a salvageable version of 616, similar to EHM and Marvel Adventures which is the MU without all the bullshit.

Civil War II is ultra garbage full of characters literally no one cares about, especially not normies. 616 begs for a retelling, not exactly a reboot, but only after hacks like Bendis are kicked out.

Sell merch at the theater, why nobody does this makes no fucking sense to me.

Superhero comics are absolute garbage to be honest. It doesn't help that there are multiple universes and multiple authors for every hero, that makes it very hard for new readers to even give a fuck. And SJW garbage pushes away some people as well.

>The comic industry is on its death bed

Oh, shut up.

It will be close, but I don't think it beats AoU. X-Men opens soons and will eat into the box office.

The comic industry has been consistently selling less and less even while piggy backing on Hollywood adaptations. Maybe it'll never die because they're cheap enough to produce, but they've been steadily losing relevance.

>start reading comics because of the movies
>pick up some ongoings, some of them are pretty neat
>suddenly "UP NEXT: CIVIL WAR II TIE-IN!"
>everything I'm reading is suddenly halted for a shitty event
Yeah, fuck this garbage. Never again.

Yeah, since the fucking golden age, shut up with this.

stop trying to force inhumans on me instead of x-men, and stop putting my x-men on avengers teams and i might buy comics again

I'm sorry if truth hurts. Just close your eyes and cover your ears, everything will be daijobu.

I doubt it. AoU did 1.4 bilion, CW can reach 1.2, but I don't believe it can go beyond that

But I'm agreeing with you, of course it's true, it's also not relevant at all since it's been dying since the golden age.

Get a new narrative.

>Why is Cap black?
>Why is Thor a whore?
>Bruce is Chinese?
>Why are there so many Spider-Man books?
>This is confusing

Considering all going for it I wouldn't be surprised. X-men is getting mix reviews and Civil Wars ticket sales are barely dropping at week 3. Unless there is a serious dive this could break it's mark.

youtube.com/watch?v=MYcqToQzzGY

Sup Forums on Suicide Watch

>watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier
>"this movie was awesome, I should start reading some comics"
>Steve Rogers is a pissy old man
>Bucky is having drug induced space adventures with Quake or something
>mfw

>watch a WWII movie
>get interested in history
>Germany and USA are friends now
>Japan isn't nuked to hell (but something's terribly wrong with them)
>Hitler isn't even alive what the fuck

Sometimes I wonder if these people are retarded...

>B-BUT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO F-FLOP
>NO ONE C-CARES ABOUT CIVIL WAR
>T-T-THERE'S NO H-HYPE!!!
I will forever be amused how wrong Sup Forums was about this movie.

Would explaining to the casuals that this is an alternate dimension help alleviate some of this?

Sup Forums is always wrong

>X-Men: Apocalypse
>$1 billion
That's the one that makes me laugh the most.

marvel comics are utter dogshit right now

Sure, but don't expect them to stick with the comics then.

Marvel should just make a MCU alternate universe, something like Ultimate. None of those half assed movie tie-ins, a proper alternate universe. That way you can keep movie stuff out of 616 and you might bring some of those movie fans to pick up comics.

>being THIS wrong
So Snyderfags are just synonymous with delusion

Nah. The comparison is more like

>The US is now an ocean
>Germany is exploring the universe
>Japan is in another dimension
>Hitler never existed

>how do we make some of these viewers read comics too?
But that people watch cape movies because they're ashamed of the source material.

And because capes are a fad, let's not forget.

Destroy the broken lcs system.

The best selling comic creator is the lady from Smile who posts those kids scholatsic boks

Nothing to do with CW, but Cate Blanchett is Hela for Ragnarok.

But superhero movies are also multiple universes with multiple authors for every hero.

People know books are different from the movies dumbass.

Its not like synergy gets sales. Hell movie tie in comics sell like.shit

Get better editors.
Get better people to write them.
Get a better distribution model in the US.
Get a better international distribution model.

There you go.

Nothing to do with being on its death bed but when the best seller in years was last year's Star Wars at 1 million issues, it does look weird compared to the number of people who watch cape movies.
MEANWHILE IN FRANCE: THE LATEST ASTERIX SOLD 1.6 MILLION COPIES IN 2015 (on a population of 66 million people), AND WAS LITERALLY THE BEST SELLING BOOK IN FRANCE THAT YEAR.

>the tiny, muddy hamlet of American comics

>Star Wars - 2.1 Billion
>Civil War - 1 Billion
>Zootopia - 900 Million
>Jungle Book - 700 Million

Has any studio ever been on as big a roll? Can they be stopped!?

Only one man can save us...

Kantai Collection?

Mandatory
youtu.be/1w7Ol1qDg-o

Should they be stopped? Someone has to pick up the slack for Sony just spewing nothing but trash into the marketplace.

Jim said in his "r*ddit" AMA that he loved Winter Soldier
Get ready, user. Bucky and Falcon buddy cop movie directed by James Cameron

Sony always wins baby

I liked the Abyss, too bad his other movies sucked.

But let's be real here Disney has so much power over the entertainment industry, it's mind-blowing.

>Ghostbusters
>Sausage Party
>Emoji

People complain about Disney being popular but fuck me if I don't find Sony's absolute shit-tier dreck more offensive.

No more Diamond Distribution

Seriously, get comic books back in supermarkets and grocery stores, focus more on graphic novels as complete works rather than just collections of runs, don't try to cater to an extremely small (if devoted) audience exclusively, whether that be collector autists (DC) or whiny tumblrites (Marvel).

its not just the cost. its the decompression on top of the cost.

you can't find a decent standalone story anymore. charge me $4 for a good tale and i'll buy it. but no, the story has to be padded out to 6 issues, you're in for a quarter-Benjamin for a single story.

But don't worry, the comic companies don't really care about comic sales anymore, comics are the R&D division of the billion dollar movie industry. Pay a buncha half-assed comic writers and artists peanuts to crank out story after story, then the 1% good idea is mined from the 99% dreck to be tossed up on the big screen.

>You know remember that James was to direct a bodyhorror adaptation of Spider-man in the 90's
>Spider-man TAS was made to promote that movie

>too bad his other movies sucked
>Aliens
>Terminator 1/2
>sucked
what are you talking about user

You know they're building an Avatar Land at Disney right?

The 80s were 30 years ago, user.

Chances are pretty high that when the Ghostbusters reboot flops it also takes down Sony Picture. they have alot invested

Basically, comics should cost a dollar. I don't care if they have to go back to old newsprint or cut creator salaries (in fact i think they should do both of these things), but asking a kid to drop 3-4 dollars on a ten minute read is absurd and untenable in the long term. The prices will come down or the industry will continue to shrink.

I was really surprised when i found out a few years ago that americans (and i guess the british too?) pay the same 3-4 dollars (well, euros for me) i do but only get 20-something pages

Basically here in Italy the publisher ties different comics by topic, for the lack of a better expression. When i used to buy New52 Batman for 3,70€ i got Batman, Detective Comics and Nightwing all in one issue. When i bought Spiderman, chances were it included Friendly Neighborhood, Sensational or other comics like Scarlet Spider (depended on what they had avaiable at the time i guess). The smallest Big 2 issues i used to buy were Ultimate Spiderman, that had no extra characters, but still, every italian issue included what in america were two.
I was also surprised to hear about the whole Diamond thingie, because here comics are sold also in supermarkets (the more mainstream ones like Batman or Spiderman anyway)

Although to be fair i have no idea how the international/european comics' sales compare to the US', so maybe all this extra content doesn't really change much

And the "joined characters" format isn't necessarily perfect. For example i'd like to buy King's Vision, but since the character isn't supposedly well-known enough to carry a book by himself he's tied to one of the many Avengers titles, so to buy that one comic i'd have to pay for stuff i technically don't want along with it

Not that guy and I am not an usual reader, still I would inquire that maybe is that after all these years stories can hardly be simple anymore, because is been done already (?) Also it seems impossible to "casually" but in, sure there are some fresh reboots that even a casual like me sees but is not like one can just buy something and get a standalone tale.

The stories I read were those that I knew beforehad I could read start to finish, otherwise is simply unsatisfying.

Honestly, as worrying as Disney's continuous growth can be, I can't thing of any other company that produces better mass entertainment than them at the moment. They're no saints by any means, but seem to have a much better idea of how to handle their products better than other studios.

Just a hunch, but maybe comic publishers should aim towards the general audience instead of the middle-aged fanboys.

Yeah, Americans pay through their nose for comics where we get a full bundle of juicy goodness. It's almost like US publishers don't know how you appeal to a broader market.

>B-B-BUH MUH KINO

Snyderfags on suicide watch

No that was the cannon film version.

The version he was going to make was actually much more retarded, okey dokey

Iron Man 3 did 1.2 and so far Civil War is doing better than IM3

Too much fucking money in the bank, make back 4 times what you spent.

Daily reminder Sup Forums actually thought this was a good thing and not a sign that a retard was in charge of things

What happens when Jungle Book overtakes Batman v Superman?

Did Cavill lose all of them? Is that why he only has 43 lines in the movie?

Fucking kek

>Superman only has 43 lines in his own movie
>Spider-Man has more dialogue in his thirty minutes of screen time in Civil War
This is the future you chose, Sup Forums.

why aren't you watching civil war and increasing it's word of mouth?

swimelodeon.com

get in here

>You know Zack, I think I should have a line where I tell the girl I'm saving everything is going to be alright. I know some spanish too so I can really make it look like Superman really cares for her well being.
>Canvill, that's going to ruin my slow pan shot
>Well, could I at least interact with the group of people? You know, shake their hands, play with the k-
>Canvill, drop on the ground right now. Let's go
>B-bu
>ARE YOU GIVING UP ALREADY?! WE HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED!

He tried to save us

Good quality, thanks man.

THREAD THEME

youtube.com/watch?v=KkHDdUhA_tQ

Disney is Alchemax confirmed

Adults:
>Wipe away old canon
>Start off with MCU as being part of them with each flick getting a graphic novel release
>Huge push for digital distribution, specific apps for phones and tablets and PC that act as a digital storefront comparable to a mix of steam/netflix where you subscribe for a constant flow of new stuff and can buy old works in bulk (plus certain 'free' lines to entice joining up even freely)
>Also: it's got a DRM free DL option, but using it in the app requires you own it and gives benefits like panel-to-panel transitions, author/artist annotations, etc. that are otherwise only available in the collected volumes
>Cross-promotion with the TV series where with a netflix subscription you're able to get a free sub to comics that run in between seasons or whatever about the character
>No fucking huge events, since they just confuse normies and piss them off since they have to usually read about dozens of characters they don't care about in them
>X-men split off into its own franchise, independant storylines to Fox unless they're willing to sit down and play ball on organizing storylines for that sweet cross-promo potential
>Weekly releases for indivdual books gone, system setup to mirror Japanese where there's a weekly mega-book for various lines you can buy in stores or subscribe to with volume releases for specific ones at certain intervals

Children:
>Target kids with a specific, seperate line aimed to their tastes
>Weekly releases going out to every mom and pop cornerstore and newspaper stand possible
>Cartoon tie-ins
>Mostly episodic in nature
>Cheap Phone/3DS/PS4/XBONE games get made
>Don't target comic-lines to a specific gender since its been repeatedly shown stuff aimed at the whole kids market does better for comics than segregated shit

That's how I'd do it, anyway. Would probably just drive off all the old fans and piss off CBS but fuck it I think it would be an interesting experiment and I haven't cared for 616 in years

I told you it would happen by Friday. Some of you said they needed the weekend

Iron Man 3 opened in more theaters than Civil War. Disney gave CW a smaller international release compared to IM3 but I don't know why.

youtube.com/watch?v=qrXwAeJ87Bk

Can't stop the Captain.

At the cinema I went to in Cheltenham, England the local comic shop had signs directing people to where the shop was, which is about a minute away, and had a stall selling comics and merch in the cinema itself.

Beyond that though, to my knowlege, Black Panther #1 fucking killed it in sales following Civil War. Now we all know that its not going to translate into every single one of those people becoming ardent comic readers, but some will.

Further to this, I think that trade paper backs are the way forward for comics. As an English bloke who grew up in a town without a LCS, at the time I believe there wasn't one in the county, the only way my purchases would even register on the companies radars is though TPB's.

Think how you got into comics. I did through the 90's Marvel and DC cartoons. I can guaran-fucking-tee you that its the same for others.

What we have on our hands here in the Marvel films especially, is a similar thing. Only this shit is this generations Star Wars. This generations Back to the Future. This generations Ghostbusters. Films that define them, and that will be looked back on with fond nostalgia. More than that, its looking on track to be the next James Bond. A series that releases films for fucking decades with varying degrees of success but an over all public love for the franchise.

Believe me, there is an entire generation of kids that will be comic readers thanks to films being released now.

>Think how you got into comics.
The X-Men films, surprisingly. For all they keep saying the films don't make new fans, it worked on me. I was X-Men 2 and wanted more X-Men. Got into a bit of Ultimate X-Men then spread out from there.

Strangely I'm now a much bigger Avengers line fan than X-Men by a large margin.

>image.jpg

Probably 1.jpg guy while using a phone

Thanks for the expert forensic analysis of a long dead thread by an user who is very unlikely to be in this tread right now user.

Top job.

Do not underestimate the power of Word of Mouth and Marvel. I loved CW but I'm still really irritated that BvS, who had a a good cast, is held back by that fucking hack.

Is Civil War next?

Anyways, good quality, thanks man.