Why don't you like free trade?

Why don't you like free trade?

Other urls found in this thread:

nber.org/papers/w21906
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It turned me into a newt

Free trade between developed nations, sure.

a newt?!?

Why should I like it?

Trade is good, without trade Canada would be utterly fucked. It can be cheaper to send Canadian goods just south of the border compared to across the country.

Free trade I'm more sceptical of. Generally Canada is trade dependant enough, yet a small enough economy, that we might have to take a bad deal or two in order to get access to the markets we need and be able to say to our trade partners if you don't give us a good deal we'll trade with somebody else.

The pants on headed agreements like the TPP where part of the deal is mandating other countries change their laws being justified with "muh free trade" I fuckin hate.

I got better

My job goes over there and the people over there come over here.

>you GOT better

Makes shit cheaper

I do

Because all our jobs end up overseas and they re-sell the same goods to us at the exact same price we were originally producing it at.

Rich fuck politicians and CEOs get all the gains and working class gets stuck with bill.

>inb4 muh nikes and muh air conditioners

I like it. It doesn't hurt anyone.

Except goods haven't gotten any cheaper.

Labor has become much cheaper, but corporations just use it to make extra profits, not sell the goods for less.

I grew up in Pennsylvania, and this is probably true of other coastal states, but it's definitely true of PA, but since the 1980s there have been an infestation of Japanese beetles. They're horriible things. They make these enormous, hideous nests across large swaths of tree lines, Japifying our beautiful American nature and landscape. And as if that weren't enough, they chew through the leaves of trees to the point where entire acres of land are further Japified by these crippled, pathetic trees. The beetles came over on ships from Japan. Globalism.

If I had to trade all of the Playstations, all of the Toshibas, Super Mario, anime, all of it, to be rid of this hideous invasion of Pennsylvania, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That's how little globalism means to me. Keep your fucking "products". We'll make better ones if we're forced to. I'd rather have my country.

Here is the most recent important paper on the issue written by david autor at MIT

the basic idea is that with free trade as a wealthy country (ie the USA), the losses associated with jobs being exported are much greater than what the average citizen gains from cheaper goods

nber.org/papers/w21906

I think as a general trend free trade is very good, but when it comes to individual examples free trade deals can be good or bad. There is also, to a minor extent, a need to keep up with the joneses in trade, even if you're getting a bit of a raw deal. Long term, a few centuries down the line, an isolationist nation is never going to outperform one that opens its borders to trade.

Here in Canada we're regularly getting fucked over by foreigners that try to shut down Canadian steel production by flooding the market with cheap steel, try to shut down canadian bitumen production by flooding the market with cheap bitumen, and shit like that. If you just ignore this because free trade is great, you'll lose all your industry when times are hard, and when foreigners see you've closed up shop they'll raise prices again. Naive free trade just opens you for abuse.

When you do trade with a country with cheap labor, you can just end up exporting your skilled workers when experiencing unemployment. Ultimately this will be a pill you have to swallow or your country will fall behind those using cheap labor, but you should appreciate that other countries have more to gain from this you do, and not give them the privledge for free.

>You may purchase this paper on-line in .pdf format from SSRN.com ($5) for electronic delivery
C'mon man

Wanna hangout I live in PA close to NY

Liberals don't like it because they don't understand it. They just oppose it because sone college professor told them it was bad.

>is free trade lighter than a duck?
>does free trade float in water?

I do. I don't like it when we lose our sovereignty in """"free"""" trade deals with other countries. Products that are dumped like chinese steel should have a tariff placed on it.

MSC a shit

It's a first order approximation of free movement of workers. It results in the death of local industries and small businesses as larger multinationals can afford to go below cost for longer, it encourages a race to the bottom for wages and workers rights among countries that are secondary producers (i.e. manufactureres) leading to high rates of unemployment in other nations.

One the local businesses are gone we almost always see anticompetitive alliances between multinationals (especially oil companies), price hikes in foreign monopolised industries that are effectively immune from any real prosecution, and when that doesnt work, shell companies hiding the monopolisation.

And also because the notion that shipping something halfway around the planet is somehow cheaper than making it next door is fundamentally bullshit.

How much does three trades weigh?

Is it illegal to own a flame thrower in PA?
If not, you know what you must do.

Hope you don't work in an industry that can get severely undercut if moved overseas... (which is basically 80% of all available jobs out there)

We don't have free trade. They make it impossible for our goods to be sold in their country while dumping slave labor goods in ours.

But I do

Truly free trade doesn't require 100,000 page rulebooks.

I'm an actual conservative so free trade is not as important as controlled trade. No Adam Smith false idol for me.

Because it comes at the most vunerable poor's expense.

None of it ever trickles down. Its only ever siphoned off.

That's interesting. Many economists apparently would disagree. Do you think this paper will start a trend of developing new trade theories that oppose current theories.

I definitely don't like the WTO.

Its not free.

China can buy property in USA, try buying land their.

Compare EPA regulations now.

Free trade is just a word for shipping manufacturing overseas as itis now, nothing more

If you don't have a job how can you buy shit?