Your Operating System and Security

Windows and OSX operating systems are known to track users' information, remoting from central servers to effectively make your machine into a botnet. Linux is freedom from being surveilled on and not being 0wned by the NSA's buddies: Apple, Microsoft, and Google.

If in 2016, you haven't made Linux your operating system of choice, then you aren't fit to be on Sup Forums or on Sup Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

techspot.com/news/57316-nsa-classifies-linux-journal-readers-tor-and-tails-linux-users-as-extremists.html
github.com/ssbc/patchwork
alexrad.me/discourse/why-rosyna-cant-take-a-movie-screenshot.html
youtube.com/watch?v=vILAlhwUgIU
breitbart.com/tech/2015/12/31/new-light-shed-on-ian-murdock-police-brutality-claims/
libreboot.org/faq/#microcode
libreboot.org/faq/#intelme
libreboot.org/faq/#amdpsp
riscv.org/
crowdsupply.com/sutajio-kosagi/novena
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coreboot#Supported_platforms
intel.com/content/www/us/en/jobs/locations/israel/sites/haifa.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

fucking faggot

hello nsa

>stupid slavshit not knowing the importance of privacy
color me surprised.

If you're on the World Wide Web, your machine is a botnet.

Linux shilling is literally subversive NSA bullshit designed to lull us all into a false safety so that when the day of the rope comes under Democratic Party leadership, we won't suspect that we are the targets.

ok. amerifat queen of privacy coming through.
[and get wrecked by slavshit]

This, anyone who thinks that their special snowflake OS keeps them "safe" is an idiot.

>what is https everywhere
>what is disabling JS on runtime when opening a new webpage
>what is using zeronet, tor, i2p over the "world wide web"

install lynx, wget webpages, POST to reply - or better yet, just use a common sense internet browser that respects your freedom, like icecat or qutebrowser :)

linux is not a complete solution, but it's a step toward the right direction, as 1: it's decentralized and 2: it's constantly evolving.

you're the shill, shill.

techspot.com/news/57316-nsa-classifies-linux-journal-readers-tor-and-tails-linux-users-as-extremists.html
how's the cognitive dissonance treating you?

>Tricks that will keep civilians from spying on me will surely work against government surveillance!

Other than your mention of other networks, such as tor...
Loving.
Every.
Laugh.

For example, Debian is wholly owned by the NSA. Yes, if you're on the www, you're part of the botnet.

github.com/ssbc/patchwork

GNU Privacy Guard

OpenBSD.org -- run a "mirror port" to "mirror" all packets to a separate machine running Suricata IDS.

Use Linux's netfilter to "force" certain apps to go through certain tun# interfaces.

ooga booga nsa come get u come get me

you could have at least entertained the thought of microcode execution on the CPU/BIOS level that gets shipped straight from haifa, israel

even then, why not just get yourself a coreboot you silly memer

>using microshaft wangblows operating system
>ever
everyone in g needs to

NSA etc very fucking real

alexrad.me/discourse/why-rosyna-cant-take-a-movie-screenshot.html

Jacob Applebaum: To Protect And Infect, Part 2 [30c3]
Posted 2013-12-30
01h02m42s
youtube.com/watch?v=vILAlhwUgIU

tails. Ive swatted like 10 people with it and never even been investigated

I can see all of my data in and out

mad?

enjoying your posts, famalam

honestly worried about the current state of the shills on Sup Forums, blasting linux/bsd of all things

Are you fucking retarded?

GNU/Linux or *BSD are a _STANDARD_ operating system for many technical people.

>using tails for swatting
I hope you turned off persistence and are loading it from a live USB, you filthy fucking degenerate.

Whatever you NS-say. I bet you've swatted nobody.

>Ive swatted like 10 people...

Oh man, what a badass!

>load it up
>go to their cities PD website
>contact us
its that fucking easy

doubt he even owns a USB drive

If you think the alphabet agencies can't get you because you're using Linux you're a fucking idiot

spoken as if Linux/FOSS is not full of the most degenerate communists in the world

classic NSA shill thread derailment via internet tough guy routine

grats

If you think using a different operation system will prevent others to collect any information about you that they are interested in then you must have down syndrome.

install gentoo

>Debian is wholly owned by the NSA
No it's not.

breitbart.com/tech/2015/12/31/new-light-shed-on-ian-murdock-police-brutality-claims/

Gentoo really isn't that hard to use.

Normal people who happen to use Gentoo don't really use Gentoo. They use the Linux kernel, systemd (or OpenRC), X11, cupsd, maybe avahi-daemon, netfilter/iptables, ssh something like conky, a tiling WM, a terminal emulator, a browser, maybe a couple other apps. Gentoo is just one way to use those things and for people who "get it" Gentoo's toolset is pretty damn easy to use to have a system going.

*nix systems have for the most part been the same system for 15+ years and when new components come out users can choose when to upgrade.

If you just use Unity on Ubuntu you don't really know how to computer yet.

Please explain more, srsly wtf. I'm in IT, no bully.

back to chrome? are you serious faggot? I'm fine with niggers joining the botnet out of indifference, but you don't even have the illusion of security.

>in IT
>expects not get bullied
> All modern x86 CPUs (from Intel and AMD) use what is called microcode. CPUs are extremely complex, and difficult to get right, so the circuitry is designed in a very generic way, where only basic instructions are handled in hardware. Most of the instruction set is implemented using microcode, which is low-level software running inside the CPU that can specify how the circuitry is to be used, for each instruction. The built-in microcode is part of the hardware, and read-only. Both the circuitry and the microcode can have bugs, which could cause reliability issues.
libreboot.org/faq/#microcode

There is literally nothing you can do if you're using an x86 CPU. Your OS is irrelevant.

libreboot.org/faq/#intelme
(There's an equivalent in AMD chips too.)

yes it is, you can't see all of the code!
oh wait

amd proof?

Same page senpai.
libreboot.org/faq/#amdpsp

>> chrome?

Chrome is not present in the screenshot. Chromium with hotwording NOT ENABLED however is present in the screenshot.

How much of a faggot do you have to be to not know the difference between chrome and a copy of Chromium that has all the bullshit botnet stuff disabled?

Holy FUCK this board is going to shit.

chromium really isn't much better

>arch linux

keep fagging around , idiot

You really need to read alexrad.me/discourse/why-rosyna-cant-take-a-movie-screenshot.html

riscv.org/ shows some promise

Also see crowdsupply.com/sutajio-kosagi/novena

assume you have a 3rd party device (raspberry pi or anything) monitoring 100% of your network traffic
you would see these being accessed if they did indeed send / receive any data

I have an X60 with libre that I flashed, running Parabola. I'm sure that there'll be a solution to x86 CPUs down the road, but even SeaBIOS is something interim that you could consider.

Your OS isn't "irrelevant" as there's worse out there, considering that people still use Windows 10 and OS X. OSes known to spy on users.

also: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coreboot#Supported_platforms

>riscv

the two decade old meme

>calls RISC a meme
>is completely unaware that ARM chips are RISC
>also unaware that all iPhones and 90+% of Android devices are running on ARM chips

gr8 b8 m8.

I award you 1 Brazilian Dollars. Don't spend it all at once.

why not arch?

Someone the Haifa Israel thing.

I'm fully aware risc is used in ARM, as well as intel cisc passing down to risc

I called riscv a meme, dummy

intel.com/content/www/us/en/jobs/locations/israel/sites/haifa.html

The data could be hidden or disguised as something else though. It's likely in fact, because the management engine would have to initiate the connection to get through most consumer firewalls.

Well I meant irrelevant if you're using potentially back-doored hardware. I think the X60's CPU is safe but you should investigate if you haven't already.

Thanks, drunk. Don't even know what I meant to type.

Not using Slackware. Go play in the sandbox or some shit.

Arch masterrace reporting in.

Using Tails Linux routed through TOR, routed through a botnet, and reading every line of code, of every free software you compile to use. Will only stop other skids from hacking you.

The NSA back in the 1960s had a computer that was as powerful as a computer in the year 2000. They're decades ahead of civilian technology. There is no way to hide from the government.

>slackware
>talking about sandboxes

the irony

No, the NSA has a backdoor into just about every HDD that gets shipped out from major manufacturers. Enjoy.

This is why you want to have an OpenBSD box routing your traffic "mirroring" all traffic to a separate host running an IDS like Snort or Suricata.

Logging outbound connections on localhost and the separate dedicated OpenBSD router is a good idea too.

what about every ssd?
how about every sshd?

Yeah that's the baseline basically. NSA firmware rootkits.

I'm sure they do by now. If not, only a matter of time.

>The NSA back in the 1960s had a computer that was as powerful as a computer in the year 2000.

Highly doubtful, although I do believe they managed to come up with some 500 MHz CPUs for satellites in the mid to late 70's.

what if I use dd if=/dev/sda1 x2?

So what does that mean exactly? All they make is lab and broadband solutions..

Doesn't matter if it's disguised as anything else, I'd see it. I've had machines sit and do nothing for years

Wouldn't affect the firmware, that's stored in chips on the disk controller, not on the actual magnetic disk platters.

ps aux | grep "secret nsa blobs"

done

crontab -e
1 * * * * ./StopDemBoogeyMans.sh

Ubuntu 16.04, custom kernel, no wifi or bluetooth, hardware mic mute and no webcam. Really all the security I care to have. I don't really do anything illegal online, and if someone wants to come at me for my political speech, at least a few of them will be leaving in bags.

If I needed to be sneaky, I have a Tails VM for defense and Kali for offense.

Could be a myriad of things that it could mean, being that Intel's R&D is in Jerulasem, operations in Haifa. Software development being done state-side, shipped over there, maybe?

Intel's ix vpro processor was able to be activated via a cellular network, plenty of other Intel chipsets are still able to do that. Honeypot?

>Tails VM

You what, nigger? If the host OS is compromised, how the fuck is a Tails guest VM going to help?

Most people just facebook and youtube these days so Mint or Unbuntu would suit them just fine.

The problem is that most prebuilt desktops don't come with linux preinstalled and most people don't give a shit about their os so they never change.

>custom kernel
>for ubuntu
why is this a thing?

Because you can drop in a custom kernel on pretty much any distro?

Whether or not you break anything is a different question...

Linux has a stable API so a custom kernel usually won't break things as long as major features aren't disabled.

There are a huge number of caveats in this argument and you can argue it either way.

To deanonymize Tor users, you either need a large share of the network, or you need to get them to bypass the network altogether. There's no real protecting against the first vector, but the second does offer you the chance to add another layer of protection, in the form of network isolation. If Tails doesn't know its own IP, then an exploit in Tails that would normally "call home", would be useless -- and if you setup your VM accordingly, an attacker would then need to execute arbitrary code to identify the environment, escape the VM, then deploy an exploit for the host OS. Not an impossible task, but it's a tall order for anyone, even state actors.

Like I said though, I don't really care all that much. I use Linux primarily because Microsoft can go suck a dick and I'm not gay enough to get a Mac. Plus I'm a programmer and Linux is great in that regard.

If you're some 1337h4X0r, you can go much farther with destruction of evidence and plausible deniability than anything any software could ever give you. Full disk encryption, mercury switches, hidden magnetic switches, pyrotechnics, etc, etc, etc can do far more for you than any OS, VPN or protocol ever could.

bcuz ur nan m8

Have fun with your emulated direct x 9 while I enjoy my pascal titan at dx 12 native you fucking pleb

I don't really care if anyone knows what I'm doing. I'll be using Linux when they finally cut 7 though, since I'm not going to stop pirating old shit at my convenience.

post more rare terrys

If I remove this operating system

will my computer die?

call my PD in my city

they'll laugh at you and call you a filthy yankee scum

>implying anything at all uses dx12

kys

same, Im getting off M$'s tit indefinatly as far as home computers go with the death of win 7.

Yes if you install Ubuntu or other lame OS. Only Arch, Gentoo and pure GNU/Linux are based.