20% of American adults are functionally illiterate

>The UNESCO definition implies that a functionally literate person possesses a literacy level that equips him or her to flourish in society. A functionally illiterate person, on the other hand, may be able to perform very basic reading and writing, but cannot do so at the level required for many societal activities and jobs.
>Walter Long is 59 years old and lives in the town outside of Pittsburgh where he grew up. He's got a good job with the county water board, a nice house where he has raised four kids, and a wife who loves him. And for years, Walter Long also had a secret: He could not read. He faked it well, until one night when he was reading - or pretending to read - a story to his four-year-old daughter, Joanna. "My daughter looked up at me and said, 'That's not the way mom read it to me,'" Long recalls with emotion. "It's still hard to say to a four-year-old, that you can't read. Lavonne McKinstry drives a school bus for the greater Pittsburgh school system. Ten years ago she would not have had the job because she couldn't read well enough to pass the driving test. Like Long, she hid her lack of reading skills from everyone - even her daughters. "I was embarrassed, I was ashamed," McKinstry says. "It hurt."

Reminder to use small words and simple brief sentences for our American friends.

Other urls found in this thread:

nces.ed.gov/naal/kf_demographics.asp
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_illiteracy
azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/education/2016/02/22/arizona-third-graders-azmerit-poor-reading-scores/80613162/
abc.net.au/local/videos/2012/09/07/3585457.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Many such cases!

Stop the illitaphopia, shitlords

Respond to Americans with images

My dad is in his fifties and can read some but often needs help spelling.
He didn't finish high school.

That is sad. Sorry.

>Blacks and mexicants
Who cares

Cheese burger

According to the National Assessment of Adult Literacy (completed most recently in 2003, and before that, in 1992), 14 percent of adult Americans demonstrated a “below basic” literacy level in 2003, and 29 percent exhibited a “basic” reading level.

nces.ed.gov/naal/kf_demographics.asp

What do you expect? Their president can't even form a coherent sentence

How is it possible? People who can't read couldn't even finish one year in school.

>covfefe
Drumpf am I right?

I bet the 80% is from immigrant procedure lmao

Are you implying that just because le current year man is a retard, Trump isn't also retarded?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_illiteracy
Don't mean to sidetrack the thread but I was curious where other countries stand.
>Italy 47.0
How does this happen?

azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/education/2016/02/22/arizona-third-graders-azmerit-poor-reading-scores/80613162/

I think people from other countries really underestimate how fucked the Southern US is

If the confederacy actually seceded, they would be in some deep shit

"Functional literacy" sounds bs and arbitrary to me, are 53% of Italians dead or unable to live in society? No. Are 20% of Americans unable to live in society? No. Sounds like they all "flourish" fine and the stupid test is broken.

same. My dad is in his late 40s and usually needs our help to read subtitles in movies

abc.net.au/local/videos/2012/09/07/3585457.htm
>Libraries in the Central West are trying to improve the community's literacy rates, in the face of statistics showing nearly half the country - 47 per cent - can't read well enough to follow a recipe or understand instructions on medication.

No, I was implying you were exaggerating.

this cant be real

The OP doesn't provide a source, so most likely bullshit

It’s real, but OP is using an esoteric emotional example of some random white guy living in Pittsburgh who is illiterate instead of the real reason for the statistic which is that we just experienced a massive wave of Hispanics who can’t even speak English let alone read it.

>be italian
>can't read

Be gentle with them, they are slow

How can it be possIble?? No one in SK isn’t illiterate

>they would be in some deep shit
Maybe if their infrastructure wasn't shot to shit, their manpower not depleted and their exports not burdened by protectionist North, they could develop.

>No one in SK isn’t illiterate

>1 out of 5 of the americans who posted in this thread couldn't read it so don't even know what theyre butthurt about in this thread

There's a LOT of older black people that can't read in the South

t. knower

the leaf could've talked about the phenomena in general but he decided to circle jerk on america like always. Here is the whole picture guys.

hahaha stupidaly

>and usually needs our help to read subtitles in movies
It could be bad eyesight, no?

>No one in SK isn't illiterate

nah he's definitely illiterate, he's told me

>"Functional literacy" sounds bs and arbitrary to me

Of course, excuse it highlights the stupidity of your citizens. But of course a metric such as Cheesebugeration or McDonaldsitude would be well within your standards.

When you read there are no hand gestures

>20%
I honestly would have guessed higher.

Nah, the southern US literally could not flourish without being in the same system as the north. The US economy, even today, is heavily centered on the flow of goods on the massive interconnected river system that forms the core of the country. Two countries existing in this same system is an inherently unstable arrangement, so it would have eventually coalesced back into a single entity.

Nah, the problem is that they usually can't read fast enough.

That's not even funny, just sad.

.dal weW

>Foreigners who cannot read and write in the native language where they live may also be considered functionally illiterate.
from Wikipedia
problem solved faggots, its mostly immigrants baka

This made me laugh far more than it really should.

>47.0
What the fuck
How

America is a nation of immigrants, though.