Why were Starfleet ships so tiny?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_xOvFt8D6go
nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Sci-Fi-Ships-Updated-PIC.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

LITTLE

WHITE

SHIPS

Romulan ships are built inside-out, they're mostly empty space behind what you can see there.

>tfw never been able to grasp the scale of Voyager, The Enterprise-D or even DS9 and the Defiant
Anyone have a person next to the hull or something?

There's a couple of guys welding DS9 in the intro, I suspect most of the interior of the upper pylons is just turbolift shafts, probably industrial ones as they're for docking large ships like the Enterprise

The Enterprise is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to the Enterprise.

The jjprise is bigger.

>Why were adversaries so big

there are plenty of YT videos comparing various space ship sizes to buildings or cities you can comprehend

Fuck off with your reddit book, you answered my question almost worse than the wielding fucked up scale intro guy.

What's even worse is your moronic hatred for the JJprise, a fucking great design that reddit morons like you memed into being a non-thicc turd at the beginning of star trek beyond

>muh shitty autistic cylinder design

Fucking kill yourself my man. Kill yourself.

The outer ring is the docking ring, inner are their living quarters and that tiny centre ring is the promenade with the small mushroom on top for the command centre.

I'm not sure what the 2 levels of windows are on the bottom of the inner ring though, the top leevl ovoid windows are on the upper level of the promenade and appear to be maybe 12-15 feet tall (pic related) which is elevated above the stores, so the curved windowless bits must be the back of the promenade shops, so what are the two levels under the main level of the promenade?

I never found the scale of Voyager too hard to grasp, since the windows of Janeway's Ready room are such a prominent feature on the model. They just got the scale a bit wrong in a couple of episodes, for example in "Basics" when Voyager landed on that planet she appeared to be a bit too small (like, some 200 metres as opposed to 300+ metres).
The same is true for the Enterprise-D – you have those animated figures behind the observation lounge windows in the intro and most times that shot was reused, there are spacedock scenes in 11001001 and some other episodes when you see people leaving the ship via docking tube and then there's that scene at the end of "Generations" where some people are standing atop the crashed saucer. The only problem here is that the Enterprise D is already a tad too huge to really put it into perpective efficiently.

DS9 however always had quite the scale problem. Let's just think of those times when a Galaxy class ship was docked to the station. They always looked tiny, when their length really should've been more than half the diameter of the station. Then there were Klingon Birds-of-Prey flying around the station in some scenes and they looked like gnats whereas in others they looked like they were roughly the size of a Galaxy class ship (but then again, scaling issues concerning the B-o-P have been around from the very moment the model was introduced in ST III, ex-astris-scientia.org has an entire article dedicated to said issues)

haha picard be shittin his onesy when the DD decloaks in front of him

>JJPrise
>7000m

Whoever did this surely extrapolated that figure from those shots in ST09 when you could see those stacked shuttles in the shuttle bay. However the writers as well as the director are on record as stating that the scale in that shot was blatantly wrong cause it would also have meant that one could effortlessly store about four 10(+)-metre shuttlecraft on the bridge.
The issue actually concerns the shuttles as much as the ship itself, since the shuttlecraft in the JJvere movies (at least those transport-shuttles) were just really really friggin huge when compared to the much smaller shuttlecraft of TNG or even TOS (while the TOS-shuttlecraft were obviously a bit larger than the van-sized TNG-shuttles, it was also made rather clear that only one shuttle could take off from or land in the shuttlebay at any given time)

Warbirds design is set around an artificial quantum singularity which is why the engines are so big the actual living working space is all located at the front in the head or the beak of the ship. making it roughly the same size as the enterprise on the inside. the federatiosn warp technology was a little less advanced in some way and more efficient in others. but essentially the wings and nassels of the warbird were just chassey .

>chassey

is that picture actually real? i never really looked into the new ship designs 7000 meters?

fuck you! i dont know how to spell that word :(

*chassis

see:

They are not cargo vessels. They are there for exploration (and fight).
These ships don't even need a crew, they are just there because people on Earth were bored.
They just say a few words to the computer and it fixes all the problems.
And a with a small holodeck room they can create anything so no need for swimming pool, gym etc

>bigger means better

Tell that to the Japanese.

UCHUU SEN-GAN YAMATOOOOO

it looks like shit

sorry

Railguns will make battleships great again

>smaller ship
>still has more firepower than the overcompensating romulan ship

a great way to actually fathom the enterprise d's size was to walk around the 1:1 scale model someone made of it in minecraft

As pretty as they are, romulan ships are badly designed.

You have to walk around the entire perimeter of the ship to get to the other side. Even considering turbo lifts, that's ridiculous. A few well placed shots should tear the top and bottom half apart.

the one on the bottom looks like a pocket knife that you'd buy from the mall

Valdore>D'deridex

>book
That was a quote from a radio series, ignorant moron.

They're really not. Sci-fi is just obsessed with ever-larger ships as a sort of dick waving.

>the scale in that shot was blatantly wrong
aka the scale in the image shown is accurate. It may be stupid but that's what the movie shows.

youtube.com/watch?v=_xOvFt8D6go

Project in progress

the movie also shows a zoom-out from the bridge where it's very obvious that the ship cannot be 7000 metres long but rather 700 or thereabouts (still way too big, but more reasonable).

Maybe they are more levels of shops. Maybe the ones at the top are the prestigious ones and the lower are the more budget options.

10/10

now i feel the urge to rewatch TNG

>his ship isn't 3400 miles wide

babby please

forgot pic

Wanna have some (almost) autist-proof reasoning that the 7000m figure makes no sense?
Alright, look at this picture. As you can see I have measured one of the elongated windows on the saucer rim and one circular arcs that make up the grid on the topside of the saucer.
the saucer's circumference is divided into 16 such segments – watch the movie and count them if you're so inclined.

So, if the Enterprise was 7000m in length, that would mean the saucer's diameter had to be around 3300m which results in a circumference of (3300/2)*2π=10367.26m.

That would mean the segment which is 501px in the pic was meant to be 10367.26/16=647.9m long – even more when accounting for forshortening.
That in turn would mean that the window which is 46px wide in that picture would have to be around 46*(&47.95/501)=59.48m wide!

A window that's more than fifty metres (= 164 feet) wide? – Oh, come on! Even if you adjust everything for foreshortening, you would still get a window that's close to or more than a hundred feet wide.

Therefore I'm fairly sure the 7000m figure is off by factor 10.

>tl;dr: Visual evidence suggests that IF the Enterprise was meant to be 7000 metres (around 23000 ft) long, that would suggest the oblong windows on the saucer rim to be some 100 ft wide.

>it will land over Atlantic
>where?
>everywhere

fucking amazing

Do the Romulans achieve anything in the entire Star Trek canon?

The only thing I can remember is that the Federation used them as canon fodder against the Dominion.

But overall they are shit and their planet is destroyed when their sun goes supernova

How big can a ship really be before it destroys itself due to gravity?

Such bullshit. Terrible movie, shat all over the first...and yes, muh nostalgia!

I get what your saying, but... Those aren't windows, they're lights? Exactly the same on both sides... Maybe not lights to illuminate, but maybe for communication purposes?

I don't remember any giant Romulan ships in the real canon, which is to say live action, aside from the stupid mining one in the recent movie. And the double-sized evil Enterprise, oh my god its bigerererererer!

Whenever you have an interstellar ship -- especially one with artificial gravity -- you can just assume that they have some technobabble to counteract that.

It might be interesting to have a ship collapse in on itself because somebody destroys the magic field generator keeping everything stable. Has that been done before?

>It might be interesting to have a ship collapse in on itself because somebody destroys the magic field generator keeping everything stable. Has that been done before?
I think I remember that happening in a movie or something. No idea what though.

windows, lights, whatever. You can see right into the bridge in that shot. Measure the bridge window, crunch numbers long enough so that you get the foreshortening-issue sorted and you'll still end up with a ridiculous number, i.e. a bridge window that would possibly be... well, I don't know – I wager it'd be around a fifth of the grid-arc and therefore some 130 metres in width.

I liked the Narada and its very alien, eldritch design. It looked imposing and like it was some mishmash of retrofitted tech (which it was).

The ship from Into Darkness was stupid for the exact reason you stated.

frigate
destroyer
cruiser
battleship

are the 4 basic ship sizes for everything, naval and space, they conform to specific roles and specific equipment loadouts

because space has less movement restriction and the potential for fantasy materials, there are usually at least 2 additional size classes, which you can call whatever you want

there are supermassive warships like the romulan warbird you mentioned, then there's macroscalar stuff like the death star

the imperial star destroyers are also a class 5+ size ship

interestingly, one of the only famous destroyer-size spaceships is the millenium falcon

This reminds me of that autistic Star Wars website that tries to calculate shield and weapons strength based on split-second visual effects.

Oops, meant to quote

Okay, I admit, a fifth would be a somewhat generous estimate. But even if it was a tenth of the grid arc, it still wouldn't make sense.

There's a bit of a difference here though: I'm going by visuals and visuals only.
Trying to deduct an in-universe scale through visual effects is not trying to see any pseude-science behind said effects where there is none.

But then again, I guess I took the bait. So, yeah, I'm a fuckin autist and no fun at parties, deal with it.

Question, if the enterprise and similar ships are built in space, and not designed to deal with atmosphere, why is everything round.

Why the big disk bit, is it some kind of holdover from when it needed to spin for gravity?

>are the 4 basic ship sizes for everything

None of those are "sizes", they're functions. Ships classified as any of them can vary by hundreds of feet in length and thousands of tons in mass depending on what era they were built in. At that, one of them is completely obsolete and no longer in service anywhere and the other three have become all but interchangeable in modern navies (I mean, the US Navy's only class of "cruiser" was actually conceived as a guided missile destroyer but given a more prestigious classification due to its systems).

>interestingly, one of the only famous destroyer-size spaceships is the millenium falcon

The Falcon is half the size of even a WW1-era destroyer, let alone a modern one. It's about the size of a patrol boat, and even then that's not it's function - if it were to be compared to a seagoing ship, it's a tramp steamer.

i will never understand why people who can't spell a word don't just google their spelling of it and see what it suggests or defines it as
for fucks sake these people were typing that word out anyway and it didn't cross their doubted mind to look it up

I think the in-universe explanation is that it's because the saucer-nacelle configuration makes warp travel easier.

Google requires enormous amounts of bandwidth for simple queries now, for various reasons which I won't discuss here. It's perfectly reasonable for a certain stratum of humanity to make posts without Googling just due to bandwidth constraints, not to mention other things which I'm not keen on discussing.

Because streamlined ships survive longer in case of deflector failure

Well... I guess you and all of us will have to settle for "artist's discretion" as an answer.

remember it was an ore processing station

so most of the docking ring could have been the cargo bays and processing plants

streamlining is for warp field dynamics

Fake news!

What is the reasoning for such large surface area presented? Wouldn't it be more difficult to shield and provide for much more massive power requirements to do so?

Which ship is actually stronger?

BIG BLACK SHIPS

like babby

Galaxy class is a meme, romulan war bird is better

>.jpg
Nice completely unreadable infographic you got there m8

Wasn't this shutdown by Paramount?

Originally the Enterprise was a flying saucer but Gene said that's cliche, so they strapped rockets to it at the sides and the design evolved from there.

The original concept art sometimes gets posted.

Those astronauts next to it make it look tiny...

there's no way JJ Enterprise is that big in all the shots of the open rear docking bay that area looks like the size of a drive-through oil change

Are Vulcans physically stronger than Romulans?

What are some dope films or shows about exploring the vastness of space, discovering new worlds with weird shit and really capture that feeling of feeling small in the shadow of the vastness of these uncharted territories.

didn't the Romunals ship use a different energy system which allowed them to be more powerful but also more unstable?

This is actually a great design, most ships would think to shoot their center of mass, but since its empty it just goes right through them

In Babylon 5, humans are one of the less tech savvy species. Those idiots still have to rotate their ships for gravity.

wtf, I love Gene now

>the paper mache of starships is a good design.

Thats a gigantic laser

>the scale in that shot was blatantly wrong cause it would also have meant that one could effortlessly store about four 10(+)-metre shuttlecraft on the bridge.

Nah it's easier to accept that the shuttle bay really is that big because that is what they show and that we never get to see most of the bridge deck as they never do show us much more than the main room where the action happens.

>jpg

It's a png...

yes, or they were anyway in the old universe
because Vulcan is a hellhole the Vulcans "evolved" superior strength, endurance, and mind powers
Roms decided to live on a nicer planet and never bothered to control their emotions and thoughts
canon wise a Vulcan is 3x stronger than a human of the same gender, height, and build
a Klingon is slightly weaker even though they are larger

wasn't Vulcan a normal planet until they destroyed it in that super giant war that shattered their original empire?

It's so odd. Let's transport our ore to a space station for processing.

The Enterprise because Picard is gods favourite sex toy.

Yet it still takes two to destroy the Enterprise D...lol

Not sure about that, but in TOS when they were on the library planet and traveled back in time about 5000 years Spock began to regress into a primitive brute, stating that was the way Vulcans were at the time.

the federation are shit at war an lose every single confrontation
just check the 2009 movie, their entire fleet lost against a mining ship lol

What tactical advantage does a giant cavity in the middle of your ship offer? If anything it would massively weaken the structural integrity.

09 Isn't canon.

>Do the Romulans achieve anything in the entire Star Trek canon?

Does Romulan Ale count?

see:
700m at max.