/lang/

Language Learning Thread

>Learning resources
First and foremost check the Sup Forums Wiki. Please contribute to the wiki as you learn a new language. Many pages need updates. Some pages are completely absent (Hungarian for example)

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check """pastebin.com/ACEmVqua (embed)"""; for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
sys.Sup Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdrive.google.com%2Ffolderview%3Fid%3D0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk%23 (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xCeYTKLK0iU
lingq.com/signup/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hỉo jí tu lú rảqchīetāo hóa sa tóaq jǒe chỏq sia rái hóa ka. Bủaq súq rào ní jỏa hi rái moq?

QUICK, WHAT’S THE HARDEST LANGUAGE TO LEARN AS A NATIVE SPEAKER OF YOUR LANGUAGE

Macedonian

Is it easy and or profitable to learn Vietnamese?

Lojban

>using Learning with Texts
>want to import GULAG Archipelago in Russian
>Russian does this bullshit where they split a word by syllables if it doesn't fit in a line
>Learning with Words doesn't recognize this
>Now have to manually edit 20,000 lines of text to make it work

Japanese

Based on a google search the main issue about Vietnamese is pronunciation can be a whore. It does use the Latin alphabet though, but with a lot of diacritic marks.

As for profitability, it's probably not that great. Vietnam has the 47th largest economy in the world, and AFAIK no other country uses Vietnamese very much.

If you're wanting to learn it strictly for ease and economic gains, I'd avoid it. If you're just really interested in learning Vietnamese, then go for it. You've got nothing to lose assuming you don't just dump a bunch of money into shitty language classes and such. Worse case scenarios are that you learn Vietnamese but don't use it or you start learning it and then realize you don't want to learn it.

That's my OC! Whooo hoo

I hope my internet package includes Sup Forums. I will miss my /lang general

What's a fun language to learn that can also be useful economically?

I taught myself hiragana and katakana using some online resources about a year and a half ago, but Kanji seems really hard to learn, plus grammar and stuff. Last night I started learning some Russian and have gotten down over half the Cyrillic alphabet, but from what I've read online Russian is really hard to learn.

I'm thinking a European language would be the most useful, but Japanese and Russian just seem like really cool language to know. I'm wondering if I should maybe just learn those two and then maybe take on German at some later point since it seems to be one of the more useful languages to learn. Right now foreign languages and history are the only things that really interest me anymore, so I don't think I'll have much problem if I start spending most of free time learning new languages. I also have until halfway through January until my next semester starts up so I have tons of free time since I'm just house sitting while my parents are on vacation.

Lots of people on the thread are learning German. Lots of resources

Your thoughts on ы and ь ъ?

The German Wiki got updated recently so it's pretty decent

kek

any of them

kek, i wanted to make a post along those lines.

when you say OC, do you mean the pic or the guidelines?

that's a lie, we're at an advantage, speaking one of the fullest languages of the IE branch.

They seem useless. Why do you have them?
Oh, and what is your fav Ukrainian band?

Anything with rolling r's

I don't listen to hohol's music desu. But this shit might be hella funny youtu.be/xCeYTKLK0iU

>hohol
Ugh, you're a ruskie. But why are those niggers singing - in english - about Ukraine? Seems a bit odd

Elucidate.

Anyone here know how to learn Mongolian? How hard is it?

we have cases

exoume ptwseis (poso kairo eixes na peis aythn thn leksh parepiptontws?)

pou shmainei oti kseroume ti einai an tis synanthsoume se alles glwsses, opws ta germanika.

exoume kliseis, toulaxiston eixame sta arxaia.

kai to leksilogio, afou einai IE glwssa, to synantame se polles rizes allws glwsswn.

Einai mia periplokh glwssa ta ellhnika, opote mporoume na katanohsoume alles periplokes glwsses.

>kai to leksilogio, afou einai IE glwssa, to synantame se polles rizes allws glwsswn.

Knowing what diaphanous means without having to look it up is a minuscule victory.
Cases and grammar are only an obstacle for absolute beginners. Whatever tiny perks you get from knowing Greek pale before the obstacle of not sharing a common vocabulary pool with any other language.

>Whatever tiny perks

οι αριθμοί, τα δάνεια kαι αντιδάνεια από τόσες γλώσσες kαι τόσες ρίζες όπως

θυρα
tür
door
dora

πυρ
fire
feuer

στάση
stand
stehen

πόλις
police-polity-policy
polizei-politiker

βοηθάει kαι η θέση της χώρας.

Μου αkούγεσαι απαισιόδοξος. Μιλάς ελληνιkά kαταρχάς;

Soy un perdedor

Que coincidencia, yo también soy un perdedor.

Literally any language.

moi aussi pêh les gars

>Μου αkούγεσαι απαισιόδοξος. Μιλάς ελληνιkά kαταρχάς;

Yes, I do. Some words sharing ancient roots is barely of any value to a learner, it's just shit for linguists to jerk off to.

Also

εμπάθεια doesn't mean empathy
συμπαθητιkός doesn't mean sympathetic
απολογούμαι doesn't mean apologise (unless you're in Cyprus)
συkοφάντης doesn't mean sycophant
τοπιkός doesn't mean topical (unless you're talking about ointments)
παθητιkός doesn't mean pathetic

...and that's just off the top of my head. I knew a translation teacher that insisted t-shirts were πουkάμισα and not μπλουζάkια because she was absolutely adamant that μπλούζα mean blouse. So yeah, you can't even count on etyma.

>is barely of any value to a learner

you're wrong and it's more words than I listed. Don't forget the influence of greek on latin.

>εμπάθεια doesn't mean empathy
>συμπαθητιkός doesn't mean sympathetic
>απολογούμαι doesn't mean apologise (unless you're in Cyprus)
>συkοφάντης doesn't mean sycophant

all those words mean what you said they didn't mean

the other two, their english counterparts are either closer t the words' original meaning or tehy have been given another meaning due to daily use.

>all those words mean what you said they didn't mean

Holy shit, stay in school kids. Bye!

tell me how

εμπάθεια means empathy
to feel inside, to have emotional investment

συμπαθητιkός, the correct term in this case is the english one since we use it in the passive voice. The change of meanings is there, but it is colloquial. Originally the word was used like in english

>απολογούμαι doesn't mean apologise
>συkοφάντης doesn't mean sycophant

you are either trolling or genuinely stupid

I'll tell you whats the COMFIEST language to learn, which is obviously, undoubtably, and scientifically proven to be Swedish

Bump for this

Coincidently also interested in this.

Isn't Swedish as a germanic language easy for English native speakers?
Every Sweden I have seen speaking English speak it perfectly.

It's almost ridiculously easy. Most of the time its completely comparable with English grammar, on a 1:1 basis. I'd say the hardest thing about Swedish for someone like me in southern California is that I haven't had the phonology exposure as I have with Spanish, but after listening to Swedish news, conversation, music etc. I'll finally have that obstacle outta the way.

I know a Dane that constantly speaks English with rolling R’s.

I found Assimil Dutch has very specific instructions that aren't found in the other Assimil courses. I've been using it for French. They take a bit longer but I like doing the course this way.

The pic. I did it in paint :D

Saving this thread.

Is 50xp per day on Duolingo too much?

Bonjour anonyme, comment est ça?

Yes, I prefer 10 exp. Not because it's optional, but because sometimes you get sick and you can't do 50 exp. Personally my brain can only take about 40 exp worth of new material per day

*Optimal

French people will defend this:
>Qu'est-ce que c'est que ça ?

>εμπάθεια means empathy

Holy fuck, you're actually retarded. Open a fucking book or go back to your country of origin.

Can I use doch to make a question sound friendlier and how
If I say "Was möchtest du doch wissen?" Is that ok?

Ciao a tutti

Sto cercando di imparare l'italiano

if i have a question about korean will someone help me

Goodnight /lang/

sounds ok to me

hi im just gonna bump this thannnkksss

100% a swede

Oh my dear monomutt.. If only you knew your true potential

bump

don't learn vietnamese, you'll never use it anywhere besides vietnam, i'm a native speaker and wish i knew a different language

How do I stop my French r's from being shit? They're usually fine in the middle or end of a word, but when a word starts with an 'r' it always comes out as sounding more like an 'h' and than 'r'.

hehe

I learned 1488 words
Jeg lærte 1488 ord

No, it doesn't make any sense to use doch in this sentence. If you wanted to make it sound friendlier, you could say "Was möchtest du denn wissen?"

how did you check this?

doch would actually make it a little less friendly wouldnt it? That's my noobie's intuition

Oh yeah... denn...

Comment est ça doesn't exist mate
Comment ça va, comment vas-tu or comment allez-vous are all acceptable choices

>Qu'est-ce que c'est que ça ?
>O que é que é isso?
Not only them I'm afraid :^)
Practise makes it perfect. The french r comes from the back of the throat but it's not guttural. I suggest saying it out loud and mimicking others. It will come out eventually

El bumpo

Good morning /lang/

Noun disclensions are scary.

Det er godkendt! Og næsten en skam at fortsætte så

Can anyone comment on lingq? Reviews seem really good but i am not ready to pay up

You've got me interested in it as well.

Anyone here to comment?

$10/mo or $39/mo (3000 points)

>What do services cost?
on 1 Conversation (15 minutes) = 500 points ($5*).
4 on 1 Group Discussion (1 hour) = 500 points. ($5*)
Writing Correction (100 words) = 333 points ($3.33*).

>Do my points expire?
Yes, any unused points expire after 90 days.

>How does the Points Discount work?
The undiscounted price of points is $20 for 1000 points.

Eh, never mind

Jajajajajaja. You have to pay for lingq now? Screw Steve (((Kaufmann))) and all those other YT polyglots.

Just use Duo and buy the Assimil course for the language you want.

points?

I thought it was $10 for unlimited lingqs?

where does it talk about points?

I don't mind $10 but if the pol is right about the points shit that is insane. It seems really cool to be able to import shit and read it in your target language, but I'm not prepared to spend that much money.

forgot pic

lingq.com/signup/

In the FAQs part it has the points etc

>What do I need points for?
Points are used for tutored services like writing correction and live conversation and to buy premium lessons. You can buy points or they can be earned by tutoring, referring friends and sharing lessons in the Library.

Overall the $10/mo deal still isn't that bad but I don't think I'll be subscribing myself

Anyone?

Sup guis. Trying to use duolingo. Even though I get all the questions right on the first lesson it's not letting me progress? wtf?

kek
took me a while to get it

it's very difficult to learn. probably moreso due to less resources being available

Har du försokt att breva i /norgetråden/? Hur mycket tycker du att du förstår av det norska språk eftersom du har lärt dig nästan 1500 ord?

>mon sentiment quand mon français est encore merde
>mon sentiment quand Je perdais temps en tâches inutiles de mon études

you have been learning slavic verbs in pairs havent you, user?

ithkuil

I-I am not currently learning a slavic language, fellow Thraco-Dacian bro... gomennasai

for

Don't be rough with yourself. Making errors is normal, learning with them and improving is the only course of action.
Alas, you constructed two understandable sentences so I don't think you've completely wasted your time

are you the tatar tranny?

Yeah, definitely...

good, because since theyre more like separate vurbs with extremely similar meanings you should learn them in pairs to avoid confusion

What are you doing today to learn your language user?

I personally did my 40 xp daily of Duolingo and im gonna watch some The 70's show dubbed in italian.

Do you ever find it difficult to begin learning your target language?
I told myself that I was going to pick up French again like 2 months ago

The beginning is always the easiest, I fall in love with the language and can't stop learning and immersing myself. My biggest problem is when I hit a wall, especially due to grammar comprehension (freaking german drove me crazy)

Actually theses days im just keeping my bars gold in the german tree and I've started italian to have some fresh air and new motivations. It's pretty easy thus far as im a French native speaker

Btw if you need ressources for French or have some questions I can alway try to help

You should contribute to the French wiki if you could offer anything on top of what is already there... Would be greatly appreciated.

Also what level of German did you get to before hitting the wall? I'm only starting to get the word order on a more intuitive level know. Been nearly 3 months

Thanks man, what kind of resources do you have?