13 years of waiting for this weak-ass shit

>13 years of waiting for this weak-ass shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=juXgMeb8x5o
theverge.com/2017/3/10/14881920/samurai-jack-season-five-genndy-tartakovsky-cartoon-network-adult-swim
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm hoping it means that they'll air reruns of the old Samurai Jack but it doesn't look like that's going to happen

youtube.com/watch?v=juXgMeb8x5o

just pretend it ends right before the wedding

>NO ASHI YOU ARE NOT A PART OF AKU
>Dies because she's part of Aku

>a CARTOON went over OP's head

what did he mean by this?

She was from a future that no longer existed. Thus she ceased to exist you dumb bitch. What a waste of quads.

I saw it today.

Was upset for like 5 minutes, but then I just thought it was similar to the inner light episode of TNG.

Put instead of Picard and his flute, it's Samurai Jack and now he can think back to his other life with a ladybug not a flute. I guess that makes it okay now even though there was no happy ending we expected

If he warped back to the past to undo the evil that is Aku right after his 50 years younger version is warped, then how does he still exist? In a perfect world this would imply Aku comes back and succeeds in conquerimg the world once more, or else 50 years younger Jack would have warped into a future without Aku

could have been better if it was an hour long

Why? He achieved everything he set out to do. The only reason it seems unfulfilling is because Ashi died, but she was only there for one season, so who cares.

Plebeian.

When did you realize Genndy is a hack?

gurren lagann did it better

its a different timeline. or atleast thats what i tell myself.
cmon dude, it was pretty much a perfect conclusion.

There is only one jack, the one that returned is the one that went to the future
Also if they really wanted to do some asspull it could be time magic makes him keep existing, like how he didn't age in the future

I never got why he didn't just kill Aku in the future.

I get it wasn't his *favorite* way, but fuck, just ice the bitch and keep on trucking.

The one on the left is pokemon right? I recognize the girl from team Rocket in the first panel

He still existed because he wasn't originally from the alternate future like Ashi. Only the events that occurred in the alternate timeline where Aku makes Jack disappear were wiped out. Thus Jack just lost all his memories of everything that happened in the future. That's why he looks happy at the end when he sees the ladybug, because his memories of Ashi are wiped out, and the only thing left is the lingering sentimental feeling he gets when he looks at ladybugs.

I realized this similarity too.

The episode in general seemed really rushed and poorly paced.

then current jack would cease to exist too.
there's not even consistency with the time travel bs they pulled by making ashi disappear. you fucked up Genndy, stop trying to play it off

if it's a different timeline, ashi should continue to exist

I bet you like the prequels

why did jack get to go back to the past then, why is he in the past if the events that made him go back didn't happen?

What? No don't be silly, he still has his memories. He's stuck with them forever now. The ladybug reminded him of her.

Tbh Jacks mom was cuter than that thottie Ashi

>then current jack would cease to exist too.
No, he wasn't from that future to begin with he was always from the past, it's why he didn't age.

>if its a different timeline, ashi should continue to exist

good point. meh, its time travel in a cartoon.

prequels to what? Samurai Jack? Star Wars?

Easy way to fix the ending:
>Ashi sends Samurai Jack to the past while fending off Aku
>Jack arrives in the past and finishes off past Aku
>Ends with Jack ruling fairly over his kingdom, but contemplating life with Ashi in the future

>Cut back to Ashi opening a portal for Jack
>Jack decides not to go through the portal, but defeating future Aku instead
>Ashi and Jack become the benevolent rulers of future Earth, freeing of all of Aku's slave colonies and driving out the criminals
>Show Jack and Ashi with children, training them in martial arts

>Cut back to Jack in the past
>He sighs melancholically, only for the ladybug to land on his hand
>Smiling, he returns back to his throne room
>Fade out

Idk why they even bothered having the wedding scene. Why would Ashi continue to exist in the past all the way to the beginning of the wedding if she was just going to fade out of existence anyways? Wouldn't she just fade out of existence as soon as Aku was killed?

I could never get over the fact that when you looked at her head from the side Ashi almost seemed to have a snout sometimes.

>tfw to intelligent for cartoons
It's a cartoon you fucking retards.

How can he have memories of something that doesn't exist?

Hey, the whole point of it was that it was a nostalgia trip to 13 years ago, when watching cartoons was a completely normal activity for the age we had. You know, that and finally giving an ending to the show.

Jackass

I think this episode follows the ripple effect theory of time travel. Also, we have no idea how long apart is the wedding from the time Aku was finally defeated.

I like this ending, shows sometimes even when the Hero wins, he still loses.

>Saves millions in the future
>Loses the one in a million

What

Everyone has false memories

ashi was a mistake, should've never existed
did genndy meet a woman irl recently? is that the reason he completely lost it and fucked up so hard? because that entire season felt like something a lovedrunk fool would shit out

kek

theverge.com/2017/3/10/14881920/samurai-jack-season-five-genndy-tartakovsky-cartoon-network-adult-swim

>Jack came from… I had the same dream since I was 10, about the world being destroyed and run by mutants. I’d find a samurai sword, pick up the girl I had a crush on, and we’d go through the land, surviving.

just dumb writing.
partially so it can be "bittersweet ending"
and partially just for genndy to jerk himself off for liking gurenn lagaan

This reminds me of a quote from the film "The Last Samurai" and what Kastumoto said that I think fits perfectly to this scene.

"I also. It happens to men who have seen what we have seen. But then I come to this place of my ancestors, and I remember. Like these blossoms, we are all dying. To know life in every breath, every cup of tea, every life we take. The way of the warrior. Life in every breath...that is Bushido."

I think Jack realized that when he saw the ladybug, life in every breath.

this

>spend 4 seasons getting to know Jack
>spend half of the 5th season on Jack
>turn it into the Ashi show: Starring Jack
Ashi is the biggest Poochie ever

its a generic wedding scene. theres probably 10 other cartoons/movies you could do that with.

>Pokemon

dope. yeah i thought it was a pretty good way to end a samurai journey.

>Pokemon

I don't know why you think Genndy wasn't inspired by it, the similarities even in Ashi's character who is also the daughter of the BBEG just like the girl in Gurren Laggan (or however the fuck you spell it.), who also helped the protag fight her dad btw.

Only difference is that both her and the protag knew exactly what she was doing (committing suicide) the entire time, which isn't true for SJ.

yea but it's not some deep or mature story.
it's a cartoon. just give a satisfying ending and not the most predictable melodramatic cop out

>watch finale of Samurai Jack
>angry that Jack actually went back in time
>all the friends and world building we fell in love with is gone forever
>get the fuck over it and realize it would be uncharacteristically selfish of Jack to sacrifice the billions who suffer under Aku just for his personal relationships

dude what the fuck are you talking about?
What could possibly be more satisfying than Jack going back to the past to kill Aku?
You do know that is LITERALLY the entire premise of the show right?

>jack has to kill ashi because shes totally transformed
>jack is about to kill aku
>"if u kill me you cant go back in time fag"
>jack kills him anyway
>goes to parents graves
>commits sepukku for failing them

You're overlooking the bigger moral question. By going back Jack is erasing everybody that ever existed past the moment he left time. This brings the question of do you save those in the past by sacraficing everyone in the future? Jack should have killed Aku and had a moment of realization that going back would kill everyone in the future including Ashi.

They won't exist or be under his suffering if Aku dies.
The whole time portal thing with ashi was really fucking wierd though

WHY INTRODUCE HER IN THE LAST COUPLE OF EPISODES THEN

fucking hack

>The girl usually dies in wedding scenes

how many weddings have you attended where people just fade out of existence?

KEK

His homeland was also completely fucked when he arrived to stop Aku, with his dad being an emaciated slave.....but they ignore that completely.

oh, I didn't notice that. at first glance it looked like just a normal wedding.

they did happen, you literally see past jack get sent into the future right before it future jack gets back

mix these two and you get what the ending should've been, way too sappy as it is now

Yes but again the question is it morally right to sacrafice everyone in the future to save them in the past? I put death as a less consequence to not ever existing so it really seems like the future got it worse than those that died to Aku. Should have been a scene where Jack contemplates it and gets the approval from some ghost of his ancestors or some shit.

what? she was literally jack's sidekick since episode 4

but... then that would mean ashi WAS born...

>she was literally jack's sidekick since episode 4
of season 5
so of the 62 episodes she was in 7

no because that future stops being a reality when jack kills aku in the past. Its all very linear up to the death of past aku. If you ask next why it took ashi days to fade, i dunno for dramatic effect

>Oh no.....

I felt bad for Aku here. That legit fear of incoming death

well yeah romance is tough on cartoon network.

maybe he shouldn't have been such a lil cunt

so if that future isn't a reality why can it affect jack? he remembers it and that future is what brought him to the past.

I thought it was good. Too bad

I couldn't help but feel empty as the show ended. Everything jack has know is now gone and he now lives in his own timeline.

This is the one instance where it wouldve been better for him to realize that that was where he belonged now. Especially when they waste 3 quarters of the last season building up the relationship.

Early on they really push the "oh no you failed us Jack!" thing with his parents and people but in this ending they still ended up suffering for years AND he wipes out all of history past the day he was sent to the future, so most of the people he met might never be born. It turns out the outcome he was fighting for all along was pretty awful.

I imagined him sitting down, halting the battle and telling everybody

"Well guys, it's been fun, but in 5 minutes or so none of us will exist anymore!"

sorry nerd you're just retarded

Because he'd spent more of his life in the future than in the past.

The show doesn't touch on that at all really which is a real shame.

Exactly. Should have just had a realization of this, they could have even kept the wedding scene but had it in the future with all the cameos. That would have been much better.

It can't affect jack, what are you talking about?

nah, it turns out everything turned out perfectly and literally the entire world turned into saints and the entire world is a diverse paradise with no hatred or racism or anything.

jack should've stayed in the future and rebuild society

>Ashi

I want to know more about that party girl riding the bird. That was a nice cartoon ass.

it did affect jack, otherwise he wouldn't be in the past.

>aku dying means ashi was never born
>aku dying means the entirety of samurai jack seasons 1-5 never happened

so why is he still in the past? shouldn't he disappear like ashi because his timeline disappeared?

Was most upset that the portal guardian got offscreened

>gotta get back, back to the past, samurai jack

what did genndy mean by this?

It's a homage.
Geendy is a weeb.
There were some Berserk references in this season as well.

time obviously functions in very linear way in this universe. It clearly has some of its own rules (jack can't age from being thrown into the future etc).

Can you give me an example of time travel done right? Seems like the only way time travel can be done without arguments being raised is if everything is a big loop. Otherwise if anything changes in the past people will just say "how can the future we experienced have existed if the past was changed before that future even happened?"

I think the explanation I'm most okay with is that time flows incredibly linearly, not simultaneously in this show

>whoops our set-up for an ending doesn't fit our bullshit ending.....just pretend it never happened and allude to it in passing so we can say we dealt with it

I fucking hated that. And of course it had to be a basketball-american for no other reason than being progressive. Unnecessary

can a black person be in anything without you thinking its forced diversity?

kek

in all fairness, endings should not be homages. They should attempt to be original as possible. That lasting impression your work of art leaves should not remind someone of another work of art.

I was thinking about it, but what if he DID actually age but very, very gradually. Only by like 30 seconds.

From the time he jumped in the initial portal, to the time the 2nd one he jumped out of.

>I put death as a less consequence to not ever existing so it really seems like the future got it worse than those that died to Aku

This is objectively correct considering Jack knows for a fact that the afterlife exists.

but if that timeline never happened, how did jack get to the past... doesn't make sense

would make sense if it didn't affect anyone and there were just different timelines like I think was the case in back to the future

>for hundreds, maybe thousands of years Aku has ruled a brutal dictatorship
>literally everyone save Jacks bounty hunters live miserable lives
>those who oppose him live their entire lives fighting and running in a constant life or death struggle
>nature is all but a memory to most of the world
>Aku, the literal embodiment of evil, had undeniably made the world a worse place

No you guys are definately right though. Jack met this hot girl who he knew for like two months so he should just pass up the opportunity to prevent the hundreds of years of suffering and death.

>literally everyone save Jacks bounty hunters live miserable lives
Yeah all those people having fun, being free-spirited and dancing at a techno discotheque were so miserable. That doesn't seem like a brutal dictatorship

I think more along the lines of he might as well have just killed Aku when he first got there Or at least at the 20 year mark because at that point it should have been clear that the only way back was through Aku and that wasn't going to happen.

Ex-machina daughter saved the day but whodathunkit? If you're in that position just kill the cunt and be done with it. Srsly.

sorry autist, ashi shouldn't have disappeared

It was rushed a bit, and the TTGL stuff is true, but it made perfect sense. Everyone in the future knew what was going to happen thanks to the broadcast opening gag. "Now the fool seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku". Aku poisoned the earth, made legions of robots that they would never stop fighting even after he was defeated, and ruined billions of lives. God knows what other contingency plans Aku had for his eventual defeat.

By Jack going back, yes he erased that future, but they all knew what had to be done. I mean shit, we saw like 75% of them get slaughtered just to help Jack be free and finish his job. Billions never existed, so trillions can experience an Akuless future. Jack let go of the past, the future, and his love for a future he might now even be part of. And as he looks out at all the mountains of cherry trees, and after the lady bug flies away, he sees exactly what he brought back to the world. He suffered, anguished, redeemed himself, and then sacrificed everything to brig beauty back to the world and make a better future. Literally the definition of a hero.

Its still a bad ending. All the people he ever met or saved were for nothing. They will likely never exist because he has changed the future so much.

He basically aborted every single character on the show. Its the right thing to do but its not a good ending. Its too morally ambiguous and not satisfying.