Say good bye to your 20 follow-ups, old Ridley

Say good bye to your 20 follow-ups, old Ridley

Not gonna happen

Not bad for a R rated movie that cost less then 100 million to make.

Prometheus opened with 51 million.
Scott is finished.

It cost MUCH less then Prometheus.
It was no 1 in the box office
2nd highest opening for a Aliens film
IT not a huge hit but they will more then make their money back.

Prometheus wasn't R rated, and that's just domestic, it already made of 50 mill in other territories last week.

It's kinda sad that nothing but capeshit makes money nowadays though.

How much did this flick cost though like $1? There was only 2 real sets and the aliens were CGI.

R rated movie that cost less then 100 million has already cleared $almost 118 million and it only been out in the states for 3 days.

A R-rated film opening at 36 million generally clears over 100 million domestic (look it up)

Budget was less then 100 million.

I understand, but i'm sure the studio wanted to make more money with this one, specially putting ALIEN in the title.
Being R-rated doesn't mean anything after Deadpool, Logan, etc

>Not bad for a R rated movie that cost less then 100 million to make.

Do you nothing of what box office GROSS means ?

They don't even get $36 million, they get ~60% of those $36 million, the rest goes to the theatres.

And when we talk foreign GROSS the studio gets ~25-30%.

So yes, this is bad, the movie had a $97 million production budget, then a promotional budget on top which would be at least $20 million (and that's probably low), they will make at best a $100 million domestically of which the studio gets at most $60 million, so unless it does really well in the foreign markets it will lose money during it's box office run.

So far it has done rather poorly in the foreign market, and the hopes are that China will save it, HOWEVER:

A) Prometheus never opened in China, they probably don't know what the fuck it is about

B) China has hard censorship of blood and gore, which means it will be heavily cut

C) It opens in China over a month after it's been released in the rest of the world, which means that even if some china-man is slightly interested in it, he will have seen it as a cam-rip/screener already.

Movie opened at 36 million dollars, which means it will clear 100 million domestic at the end of the run.

In addition, it will clear at least another 150-200 million with overseas sales.

So 60 million earned domesticly. plus another 60 million overseas.

So it already cleared it budget and promotion with box office.

Combined with 80 million in broadcast rights, plus Physical media and streaming sales.

>n-not muh alienshit

Cuck off it's ogre

>Movie opened at 36 million dollars, which means it will clear 100 million domestic at the end of the run.

At best, and of those $100 million the studio gets $60 million, you do understand the difference between GROSS and NET right ?

>In addition, it will clear at least another 150-200 million with overseas sales.

From foreign gross the studio gets 25-35%, China for example has a law which only allows foreign films to get 25% of the gross.

And it's very unlikely that it will reach 200 million in foreign gross given that it's already been out internationally for a week before it opened domestically, and has only grossed $81 million in foreign gross.

>So it already cleared it budget and promotion with box office.

No it hasn't dumbass, again learn what GROSS means in box office GROSS.

>Combined with 80 million in broadcast rights, plus Physical media and streaming sales.

LOL, are you fucking retarded.

Covenant cost $30 million less than Prometheus and there's also the possible staying power of this movie in the top 10 so don't count.

unless it nosedives and does do what it tracked to do for the rest of it run they are looking at doubling their money.

Do you really think that investors are going to be upset about doubling there money on what is a inexpensive Sci-fi film?

No user, I am not retarded. I can just do math.

100 million domestic = 60 million to the studio.
200 million international = 60 million to the studio.

120 million will cover the movie which came under the budget of 97 million and the promotion.

I am versed in TV rights deals user. For example, "In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale " which is nothing earned over 70 million in TV rights deals.

They will make there money back with box office, and since it such a inexpensive movie as movies go, they will get a high ROI when non-box office incomes are allocated.

now add advertising

Already added 25 million in Promotion user. The budget was 97 million and it came under budget. So lets say 95 million, plus 25 million promotion means 120 million dollar cost.

>first Ghostbusters fails
>now Alien might also fail

I really, genuinely hope it completely fails to turn any kind of profit, costs the studio a ton of money, and that Predator also bombs.

If all these movies could just start bombing, I pray for it every time, and I feel like maybe now it can be reality.

>unless it nosedives and does do what it tracked to do for the rest of it run they are looking at doubling their money.

Learn math you fucking mong, there's no way in hell Covenant will gross enough to double the production budget+promotion.

If we are kind, we can put the cost of Covenant at $120 million, ($97 million production, $20 million marketing)

In it's domestic opening weekend it made $36 million, of those 60% goes to the studio = ~$22 million

In it's first week in foreign gross it made $81 million, of which the studio gets ~30% = ~$24 million.

So, sofar it has made the studio $46 million in one week of foreign gross and the domestic opening weekend.

That means that is is still down $74 million before breaking even, and again that is not $74 million in GROSS, that is $74 million NET.

So no, there's no way it will double the money during it's box office run, they will be happy if it breaks even.

but it was R rated...

Sorry to break your bubble, but the alien film is going to make a profit of at least 75 million dollars.

Let look at two actual bombs.

Star Trek Beyond: Cost 185 million to make, plus promotion (so lets say 215 million total.)

It Grossed 159 million domestic (so the studio collected 95 million) and the overseas market was 184 million, so they collected about 55 million of that.

So they made about 150 million in the box office, for the cost of 215 million, so they are in the hole 65 million dollars. They will break even after TV deals and so on, but no one wants to spend 200 million and not get your money back till 10 years later with no profit.

That a bomb.

>100 million domestic = 60 million to the studio.
>200 million international = 60 million to the studio.

It probably won't even make 100 million domestic, and it certainly won't make 200 million internationally, it's already been out a week internationally and it's made the bulk of it's international gross, which is $81 million.

>For example, "In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale " which is nothing earned over 70 million in TV rights deals.

LOL, worst fucking bullshit I've read on Sup Forums in years. You must be a compulsive liar.

>Learn math you fucking mong,
Learn how to read.

I am well aware that it earned 46 million for the studio, however it been out for three fucking days.

Thus it will break even in just the box office after it clears 100 million domestic and picks up another 120 million overseas.

Then you will have all your non-box office revenue, and for a movie like Alien, it will be all profits, and will produce a large ROI.

As somebody who genuinely wants 6 more movies, I'm pretty worried to be honest.
I don't think it's going to bomb hard, but I think it's overall gross might not be what they expected.
We live in an age where social media makes people particularly vulnerable to group think, which explains why so many dumb redditors are bashing the movie.
It's not flawless by any means, but it's OBJECTIVELY better than Aliens.
I do expect to see a more positive reception over time once the initial hate bubble bursts.

I went to see the movie with a friend, came out elated, he came out disappointed. Said friend also enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy.
Coincidence? No.
People have been spoonfed capeshit for years now, it's going to take a while before they're ready to appreciate ART again.

>Thursday pre-shows and an upfront fan base pushed sales to Friday and so-so buzz contributed to a sharp 22% fall on Saturday
Poor Ridley

>It probably won't even make 100 million domestic, and it certainly won't make 200 million internationally
Look at R rated movies, if a R rated movie earns 36 million in it opening weekend, it going to earn 100 million domestically.

Also the movie is holding well in international markets and has not opened in some major markets.

As for the "The Name of the King" I know this for a fact due to how they raised the 60 plus million though a german tax loophole that was funded by pre-selling TV rights.

>Look at R rated movies, if a R rated movie earns 36 million in it opening weekend, it going to earn 100 million domestically.

There's no such correlation, it depends on a lot of factors.

One that's heavily against Covenant is how front-loaded it was, nearly 50% of the weekend gross was made during thursday-friday, which is when the eager fanboys go, they in turn gave a rather poor B cinemascore, meaning it will have poor word-of-mouth.

Everything points to it dropping heavily next weekend, where it will also face competition from a new Pirates of the Caribbean.

>Also the movie is holding well in international markets and has not opened in some major markets.

It's not doing particularly well internationally, and the only major markets left are China and Japan, and Prometheus didn't even open in China so it's very unlikely the chinese will be interested in a sequel to a movie they've never seen.

>As for the "The Name of the King" I know this for a fact due to how they raised the 60 plus million though a german tax loophole that was funded by pre-selling TV rights.

Make make an ubsubstantiated claim regarding some german tax loophole which you think will give Covenant $80 million in tv rights, are you insane ?

holy shit that reddit spacing!

should i watch it on IMAX?

It shat so hard on the alien mystique that I hope ridley never touches it again.

It's a decent movie. Not as grand as Prometheus. I would just stick to the regular screen for this one.

This. I wanted Covenant to do bad so they can leave Alien alone

It was R. And as much as I dislike the prevalence of comic book movies, is a tired franchise that hasn't been good since the second film's mediocre fifth entry really something to complain about?

Xenomorphs don't need an origin. They should just be cool alien lifeforms that show how fucking scary space can be. Expanding on origins in films almost always ruin shit.

You had bad luck and landed on a planet full of fucking angry metal Jaguars that will fucking kill you. That's all you need.

What the fug, it was 12A here (equivalent of PG-13). How the fuck did Prometheus get an R rating for you guys?

>guys we will get answers in the next movie just you wait, the movie.

Now that he's shit all over the franchise, maybe JC can come in and add life to it again. Avatar/Alien crossover when?

Implying cgi is free.

Shame, much more entertaining that capeshit/marvel schlock

Good this movie was absolutely awful. Let it die already.

Does it hurt your enjoyment of Alien? No? Then stop fucking complaining about backstory.

>Does it hurt your enjoyment of Alien?
Yes, I think that's why he made the comment Ridley, you fucking hack.

>Remake Alien
>People realize they already saw it
>Don't go see it again

itt: retards who think they understand movie accounting

Covenant wont stop generating money after the first weekend either

They cant blame piracy on this one theres no cam out and its been out over 8 days now

The amount of dogshit cgi in films and literally matt backgrounds, they shouldnt cost as much as they claim