Looks like meat's back on the menu boys

>looks like meat's back on the menu boys
>menu
do orcs have restaurants?

Other urls found in this thread:

tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Baruk_Khazâd!_Khazâd_ai-mênu!
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes, tolken covered it in great depths, after the great wars that took place in LOTR, the orcs became much less focused on fighting and instead focused their skill with blades to develop a deep passion for cooking.

Whilst their appearance is doltish, their palette is one of the finest in middle earth, making them suitable as chefs, I hear that some of those orcs are about to get their third michellin star.

They've probably been to a pub or two before.

Menu means 'little list,' and during the Napoleonic era Napoleons soldiers were given a choice of two options if circumstances allowed (usually a different meat in the stew). So I guess orcs could have developed a Napoleonic style logistics system?

>not silmarichellin star

One job

Menu was the orc's name

Maybe he said "Meat's back on the men, you boys"

They discuss this in the two towers commentary track.

>Rick Porras (co-producer): I was always curious if some of the more "Tolkien" fans like Christian Rivers had taken umbrage to the use of such a modern term as "menu"

>Christian Rivers (previz supervisor): I'm not gonna query the script writers. My only issue is that for an Uruk-hai to say that, that means ... that suggests that he lives in a society where (a) he has a menu, and (b) that menu is selective enough to have food taken off it and put back on again.

menu comes from the french menu de repas, which means list of what is served at a meal. I'm sure someone would at some point listed things that were at an orc meal

dont fuckin tell me what to write you fucking baneposting cunt.

>be average unbearded man in middle earth
>trying to save up money for elf college
>fill out applications for any entry level wagefag position in the hamlet
>finally get a job waiting tables at a pub
>it's on the orc side of the village
>constantly trying to clean up as the patrons spew meat at each other, throw flagons of good ale across the room and shit on the bar stools
>entire establishment smells like muddy asshole
>have to dodge the snapping filthy mouths of random customers joking(?) about having "manflesh" for supper
>practically crying by the end of every night
>covered to my elbows in blood, puke and rancid orc shit
>manager tells me I have to come in early tomorrow
>leave completely drained and exhausted
>raped by a drunken goblin in the middle of the cobblestones
>must be tuesday
>try to close my eyes and get some sleep while the goblin assaults my manflesh
>wake up bleeding and naked in the middle of the road in the morning
>stagger back toward work
>posted notice on the door says the pub has been closed down due to not paying king aragorn's sales and leisure taxes
>mfw i never get my paycheck

They meant "Meet us back on the Menyubois"

Menyubois was the place to meeting up after the war.

>Orcs never raided Southron taverns set up along the road for merchants taking wares and gold to and from Gondor

what would sauron do with gold?

In Khuzdul (the Dwarvish language) "mênu" is a word which means "You" in the plural and object position. It is most commonly heard in the battle cry: "Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!" meaning "Axes of the Dwarves! The Dwarves are upon you!"

For the Uruk to use a Dwarvish word like "mênu", shows him to be more worldy and intelligent than he might seem at first, even if the way he uses it is somewhat grammatically incorrect. The Uruk seems to be making a pun about how "The meat is back on you("mênu")" referring to the fact that they are about to eat one of their own.

It's actually a really clever line that adds a layer of complexity to the orcs that's only hinted at in the canon of the books.

Source: tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Baruk_Khazâd!_Khazâd_ai-mênu!

>hes too American to know words often have more than one meaning

Well they raided villages and shit in the south and were pretty well industrialized. It's not crazy to assume they knew what a menu was. Even if they didnt have their own orc diners.

this is wookiepedia level

>no, they're saying "Booo-urns"

>this fictional race used a word it shouldnt know the context of

Daily reminder that the average Orc speaks more languages than the average American.

>in english

ORCED

>ORC
>CLEARLY AN URUK

ORCE-
god damn it.

Menu is just a list of stuff available to eat.
Does not imply sophistication or restaurants.
But since people keep posting more orcs, I am happy you asked, user.

its not english its westron or "common speech"
the closest thing to a universal language in middle earth.
this scene contained different groups of orcs who spoke different dialects of orc language.
the dialects are different enough that they would not be able to understand each other and it would be impractical to try and communicate in their own language so they speak in common speech because they all can speak it and its just easier.
there is also no reason for them not to have a concept of "list of available food items"

>haha ohmagawd rita lookit um a zombieee
>ohmuhgawd girl gettit over here lets get a pichurrrr

rude

I don't know much about orcs but what were their tax policies like?

In all seriousness, though, in ROTK with Frodo and Sam in Black Land/Mordor we literally saw nothing but constant darkness, smog and dead land. LITERALLY - what the fuck did those hundreds of thousands eat??

themselves

there are fields on the other side, southeast.

that region is morannon
mordor is huge and it has farmland and a lake after that

How come Gollum didn't know what a potato is but Sam did? were potatoes discovered in the 500 year gap between their births?

>their palette is one of the finest in middle earth
The word is "palate" you fucking moron

Crab legs

>meat's back
Orcs are assumed to be barbaric brutes.
This scene shows that their tastes are discerning enough to know the difference between fillet and the lesser cuts.

Gollum was from a different group of hobbits.

wich we never saw

Eagles.

i think part of the issue is that in lotr the orcs speak english and not the 50% made up black speech used in the hobbit.

the translation would probably have been very different from "menu" if they were confided to more strict language rules

He forgot. He states that he forgot what bread tastes like.

Why didn't they call mceacle to get some menus?

Are you supposed to tip in Orc restaurants, or is there already a tax imposed upon to food to provide for the service?

orcs never tip, so why should they expect tips?

subtle

How can human """"""""""men""""""""" even compete?

>he's twitching because he's got my axe embedded in his nervous system

How did Gimli know not just about nerves, but the functional divisions of anatomical systems?

As part of the agreement with Isengard, Mordor imposed a series of tarrifs upon meat imports in order to protect its domestic meat industry from competition from cheaper halfling manufacturers, thus artificially raising the meat prices above tolerance for most Isengard establishments. With the agreement broken meat will, indeed, be back on the menu.

It's like you people don't understand Tolkien at all.

Whoever wrote those gymnastics could go really really far in theology.