JSA Storytime: Captain Atom LAST ISSUES

Good evening owls of Sup Forums,

Ostrander fans ahoy~

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/734821756725141504
vocaroo.com/i/s0LOYtCJobs5
vocaroo.com/i/s0JBVP3XDrga
comicbookresources.com/article/dc-comics-reveals-full-rebirth-cast-of-characters/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hello OP

How about that Captain America spoiler

it's fucking hilarious

He understands us

twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/734821756725141504

I liked that thread before the spoiler became properly known where we came to the conclusion that Steve being Helmut's biological father would be a good tweest

Red Skull did it

Hello Storyteller.

>that blue guy
The fuck am I looking at?

>Cho
Into the trash it goes.

Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns will continue his press tour supporting DC Universe: Rebirth #1 and the publishing initiative it launches when he appears on Late Night With Seth Meyers to discuss the one-shot's impact on DC Comics.

Comic books have become an increasing presence in popular culture, with events such as Rebirth drawing more and more attention from mainstream press. Johns's appearance on Late Night With Seth Meyers airs at 12:35 A.M. on May 25 on NBC.

it's got to be Red Skull shenanigans

But Anka said there was something godawful in the issue that had gone unremarked, so I'm curious about that

what a tweest that would be

It's one of the most blatantly clickbaity status quo changes marvel's done yet, bravo to them.

Best comment today seen on the Cap spoilers:

>You know superhero comics are taken seriously when it's common and expected to snark at anyone who takes their stories/events at face value. And I don't really blame anyone in this scenario? I don't blame folks who react in earnest. Or those who've seen this happen 100 times over. I blame mainstream superhero comics for repeatedly dashing sincerity, permanence, and story consequences on the rocks, basically.

>Liefeld
>even knowing that the Legion exists
Gotta say, I'm not terribly comfortable with that.

Johns isn't the first comic writer to be on that show, I wonder if Seth is a comic fan or one of the producers is. Matt Fraction was on to talk about Sex Criminals and read some from Just the Tips

>you will never have quads like Diana

He was a child of the 80's. He loved Wolfman/Perez on Teen Titans, Perez/Giffen on Legion. and Giffen/DeMattes/MaGuire on JLI

I'm trying to avoid the spoiler to see if I can. Caps A HYDRA?

Flash's new costume on DCs Facebook, They released a spread over social media

Diana isn't real, user. Try hitting the gym and put down the pizza.

leg day is every day

So yeah, remember all that really weird shit in Firestorm with elementals, and African divinities?

A producer (or someone behind the scenea at least) is a comics guy and co wrote some Legion with Geoff. Adventure comics back ups

I love Ostrander, but I feel like the thematic revamps he was pulling at this period were not very good or sustainable.

The "Batman raping the Joker" meme has probably gone too far:
vocaroo.com/i/s0LOYtCJobs5
vocaroo.com/i/s0JBVP3XDrga

I'm just impressed though

they were giving away free comixology copies of Rebirth on twitter today and I managed to snag one

>I blame mainstream superhero comics for repeatedly dashing sincerity, permanence, and story consequences on the rocks, basically

Reminds me of the Chris Claremont interview on Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men. He's really bitter about how comics handle death

He wanted his Death of Wolverine tie in issue for Nightrcrawler to be a bunch of X-Men who have all died themselves to sit around a campire telling Wolverine stories and at the end take bets on how long Wolverine would stay dead

I'd read that issue

Kinda?

The elementals thing really did not work, and god knows the Hawkman one didn't either

That sounds great. And man, poor Claremont.

Okay. That doesn't stop it from being a worrisome fact.

Good for you. Share with the class, or suffer the sting of raging apathy.

rapeface

Damn, that is good.

>it's a metaphysical arc

so how are you thoroughly spoiled owls?

Spoilertastic spread of Rebirth

comicbookresources.com/article/dc-comics-reveals-full-rebirth-cast-of-characters/

Look at them smiles

I could care less about spoilers. I don't really see why knowing what's going to happen in the story ahead of time is such a big deal.

>What just happened to me?
That's a damn good question.

Oh injustice

I needed the Rebirth spoilers for peace of mind. I was too anxious and now I'm excited.

here we gooo

I get why this happens, but after the track we'd been on, I'm not liking it

>my mind is full of fuck

So this is when the character derailment (destruction) begins...

>looking through some weird stuff I got in a chronology torrent
>Marvel apparently had official joke edits of their old romance comics
Why?

I just read that the Marvel Cap spoilers got debunked?

this is the setup for Armageddon 2001 that some readers caught

Fucking finally.

I prefer Conan though

hahaha wow

>Jeff Parker

??? Is that a full story? Parker means it might be funny

>quantum elemental
STOP. Please, just... stop.

quan·tum
ˈkwän(t)əm/
noun
noun: quantum; plural noun: quanta

Physics
a discrete quantity of energy proportional in magnitude to the frequency of the radiation it represents.

Scientists either hate comics or treat them as MST3K-esque riffing material. Holy shit.

the only debunking I've seen is people misidentifying the guy in the chair, but given the setup there's a couple of ways it can be explained anyway

It's a full short story.

>President Stripper
.... I feel drunk. What.

You know this and I know this

but as I said, this was a period when Ostrander's reworking of character backstories ended very badly

Based on all of our reading so far, I was wondering where the Dr, Manhattan parallels came from. Because in terms of power, he's just been a flying brick with vague energy absorption abilities.

I haven't read Armageddon 2001, is this going to make any sense?

I'd read it.

Wow, you're the first person to ever point out that superhero comics don't follow real-life science! Congratulations!

Yes, this is all before that happens

I feel like it's half the Dr. Manhattan influence creeping on in, really

Like, I get wanting to do contrasting runs with characters, but I feel like this is where we start losing what made things interesting

and this metaphor-plot HAD to be stale by 1991.

gosh, all those smiles

Storyteller, just answer this question.
When do we get a member of his supporting cast (who isn't Eiling) to appear?

You mean further down the line in future comics?

I could upload it and post a link if you want.

I find that reworking character backstories rarely work out all that well, honestly.

Blow me. Just because it's expected for comics to be stupid doesn't make it acceptable.

I meant in this volume, but that response sounds like we're never getting them back.

>I find that reworking character backstories rarely work out all that well, honestly.
I will have to disagree.

Yeah, you're never seeing any of the supporting cast again.

>Like, I get wanting to do contrasting runs with characters, but I feel like this is where we start losing what made things interesting
Yeah, we're getting too far away from the everyman stuff that lent the series its charm, in favor of weird metaphysical bullshit, and Nate becoming a "quantum elemental".

Series ought to try fresh ideas, but not at the expense of what made people like it in the first place.

aww, shit

Well if you're offering.

we metaphysics for the last issues here, and nothing but

I wonder if there's an Oral History of Armageddon 2001, and how Editorial picked Monarch, and all of that

>Hal is frowning
;_;

see, he's jumped into being a crazy universe-rewriting narcissist already

>Armageddon 2001
Are we going to read that?

So yeah, I've seen some justified fussing about Comixology Unlimited in that 1) people didn't know their Image books were going up on it 2) no one makes any decent money at all off of having their shit subscription-unlimited

Can we just get to the "It's wrong to play god" moral already?

>we metaphysics for the last issues here, and nothing but
And it's already really boring.

>I wonder if there's an Oral History of Armageddon 2001, and how Editorial picked Monarch, and all of that
It may have been dumb to make Nate evil our of nowhere, but it was even dumber to wuss out of it when it leaked. Mostly because of who they went with instead.

mmmaybe

I KNOW

It's not really unlimited though, is it? From the sounds of things, you get access to mainly early issues of a comic, instead of the whole series.

Also, this makes the decision to redo it what, not long later with Parallax Hal even dumber

yeah although considering a book's highest sales are typically the volume 1/issue 1/entry level issues (especially for Image stuff) I can see why people would be upset that those early issues are now available extremely cheaply

That too, people are salty that it's not really unlimited, because Marvel Unlimited has conditioned them to the idea that digital comics should be basically free

>not long later with Parallax Hal even dumber
yeah ET happens what like three years later?

I've also seen a lot of people resuming their griping that DC isn't doing a DC Unlimited even though they have no incentive for doing so

I like how, her sword and shield are front and center.

But her lasso is like, juuust behind her leg, like that running joke from Monsters Inc.

Even if it's just the first volumes, a lot of Image books have really good sales for first volumes and that tapers off more and more for the next volumes as more people jump off or if people read the first one and don't like it

>running joke from Monsters Inc.
It's been a while. What joke?

>I like how, her sword and shield are front and center.
Frankly, I'd prefer that shit disappear forever. Harping on the warrior thing has caused nothing but problems.

Yeah their trade sales are just fine. THey got #2 for western publishers in 2015 so I imagine they want to try and be #1 again
They may be nervous or don't care about Unlimited for that reason

So that's why I can see some Image creators being very upset about even the first volume being on there

Look man, the only way I'll accept Nate being evil, is if Plastique is right there with him and they're doing this goofy villainous Gomez and Morticia Addams bit.

Absent of that, I'm glad they wussed out.

I love it, a little annoyed you can't really binge series but love that I'll be able to check out random stuff from these companies enough to compensate.

Feel really sorry for the creators.