Bilbo is the single most powerful person in middle earth

simply for being able to let go of the ring, one thing no one else ever could do.

>one thing no one else ever could do.
Sam did it.

/thread

mods pls lock thread

OP BTFO

Sam didn't have the ring in his pocket for decades?

GOALPOST MOVED

>Let me move the goalposts
He didn't have it in his pocket for decades numbnuts.

Bilbo was threatened by Gandalf. HE was goaded to drop the Ring.

Sam just fuckin' handed it back to the Frodo like it wasn't even a thing to him.

Sam was much closer to Mordor though, and therefore the ring's influence was much stronger.

The power (corruption) of the ring gets much stronger when you're in Mordor and closer to Saron. Why do think Frodo spazzed out every time the Nazgul were around?

What was the biggest Dragon ever to fly the skies of Arda?

i like watching birds have sex

If you watch the scene again, Sam is actually kinda reluctant. He starts pulling his arm towards himself before Frodo snaps it.

So? He still gave it back. Stop forcing your argument to be right.

I am only pointing out that there is a difference between giving up something freely, and not stopping someone grabbing it out of your hand before you can react

That image is rad as fuck.

Yeah I'd still go Bilbo even though Sam is a contender. Bilbo had the ring close to him for how long and didn't go all Gollum. Or maybe there was an invisible rape epidemic in the Shire but it was a public secret. Who knows.

Is there a charge of LotR power levels out there?

Wasn't Sam too much of a simpleton to be affected?

Tom bombadil literally wears the ring and laughs it off

In the books he wants to use the ring to turn Morder into the world's largest garden

Yeah but Bombadill is probably Eru itself

He was more shocked at how frodo was turning into another Gollum.
Don't forget that shortly before that the ring gave him visions of how powerful he could be if he tried to claim the ring, to which hisresponse was to laugh it off as rediculous.

What about his chick?

No. That was what the ring tempted him with. He keked and wondered what the fuck anyone would need a garden that big.

>implying he wouldn't just use it to peep on Rosie in the shower

Hate this meme

kek this sounds hilarious

It's most likely true, though

fpbp

also tom bombadil.

>probably
>mostly

Wow, Bombadil = Eru totally absolutely one hundred percent kind of sort of not really confirmed you guys!

it's most definitely not

He sure did let go.

fpbp
op u dunn goofd

Sam and Bilbo were both made of fucking steel.

Also he actually used the ring in Mordor

>MONKEY ISLAND GOT ME LIKE WAAAAAAHHH

iirc in some ancillary source, maybe it was the lotr card game, hobbits have some sort of resistance to corruption. I don't know if that's backed up anywhere in the books or if I'm misremembering though

>me playing rampage with the lads in 1997

>"power"
>having a bunch of deformed orcs waiting for your orders
I'd let go of this shitty ring too, sounds boring as fuck

No, Bombadil is you, the reader.

>who is Smeagol

Resistance, not immunity.

He showed none of either.

Giant garden sounds lit af to me. Just imagine how many types of peppers you could grow.

I thought he wasn't actually a hobbit, just a creature not so different from one?

How does one actually go about "using" the ring aside from the invisibility Shit? It is truly impossible, and only Sauron can do it, and the ring acts like the devil delivering false promises?
I know that's what everyone says "I'd use it with the intention of doing good but through me it would commit acts of evil" but what exactly would it do? It seems mundane throughout most of the trek. Which I guess is the point. Idk. Fuck me

>not knowing hobbits are actually weak as fuck nothing midgets and it's their lack of power that can simultaneously create gollum-like obsessions but also allows them to not be so easily corrupted

Had Gandalf, a maiar spirit actually held it, he probably would have gone off the deep end. Also, it's the reason no eagles. More power = easier to corrupt.

Hey bookfags do I read the hobbit before or after lotr?

>Hey bookfags do I read the hobbit before or after lotr?

Lorefag here.
The Hobbit is a fairy tale nook for children, while The Lord of the Rings is a serious story.
The Hobbit is not needed to the LotR, BUT if you want to read both of the, start with the Hobbit, obviously.

AND if you really want the best book, read The Silmarillion. That's pure literature kino.

Why didn't they just have Sam deliver it to Mordor?

read the silmarillion only after you've read the other two.

i'd recommend hobbit > lotr > silmarillion > other stuff.

It gives you what you want the most
Smeagol: a friend
Bilbo + frodo: to be unseen/unnoticed
Isildur: Power over men
And so on, but then you get hooked on it like heroin and you'll do anything to keep it, and it twists and bends your will until you're just Sauron's bitch, and then it ditches you for the next poor sap that can get it closer to Sauron

he was able to release the ring because of his distance from barad dur and mount doom, and the fact the ring no longer wanted to hide, but to be found and returned to barad dur.

bombadil is the one who was able to take it, wear it, be completely unaffected, and give it back without breaking the mind of the holder despite all the ring's desires. Because bombadil is really a purified morgoth.

calm down nerd

Oh shit, is that what it does? They could have made that slightly obvious in the movies, but the mysteriousness is sort of the point I guess.