Why is season 2 of True Detective so boring and unimaginative compared to season 1?

Why is season 2 of True Detective so boring and unimaginative compared to season 1?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZxFjH19Jx34
youtube.com/watch?v=8sN_YtynITo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The season 1 isn't that great, because of that second part.

Cus you are a pleb.

Season 2 was just as good. But the theme was very diverse form season 1.

I will give to you that it had some weak characters but Collin and Vince were both fantastic.

Setting.

Because they thought we liked their detective story, not their occult existential horror mystery.

Because it's just another neo-noir cop show. That's not bad but not very special and they failed to do anything memorable.

Look how the show first started; a weird, ritualistic murder set in nowhere Louisiana with undertones of occultism.

Corrupt police vs child murdering cosmic fearing cult. It's good that they didn't just try to 1up everything from the previous season but goddamn there was nothing in season 2.

>the second part isn't good
>the lovecraftian occult discoveries aren't the best part of the show
Shit taste tbqh

I didn't even watched season 2, I watched the trailer and it was enough. They got everything wrong you could tell, and that female cop, please..

The female cop is one of the better characters in that she feels 'real' I suppose.
Armyman is absolute and utter trash. Terrible actor and terrible character. Collin does a good job, Vince tries too hard to be Russ lite

>lovecraft
if you consider lovecraft good you are a fucking retard

why does everyone think the first season was lovecraftian?

because it featured the word carcosa?

desu true detective was more about conspiracies and how the truth can be hidden behind authority. Season 2 extends that perfectly

not directed by Fukusima
Pizzaman had a great story to tell in season 1, which he had worked on for years. Season 2 was a forced, pointless cashgrab.

Same reason season 1 of Serial was way more popular than season 2. A murder mystery is just a good hook.

>disliking cosmic horror
Pure pleb

this.

Then please enlighten us peasants with your immense knowledge on what is good. Let us bask in the blinding light that is your mind.

You calling me a retard, user?

1. No Rust Cohle
Rust may be the best crime-fiction character we've seen in recent memory. None of the characters are bad in S2 but nothing could replace him.

2. Generic cop story
The bad guys are corrupt bureaucrats and cops. They're not doing anything dastardly or evil either, just everyday corrupt asshole rich people who are having consensual sex parties with willing women.

3. NO tension
We go through entire episodes, all the way until the fifth, were there's no danger at all. Casper's death in the first episode is of no consequence to anyone but Vince Vaughn. There's was an immediate and overlooming sense of danger as well a vileness to the killer in S1; he's part of a cult with cosmic fears that kidnaps and kills, in horrifying ritualistic fashion, women and children. What the fuck do we have with S2? A bunch of old fucks trying to have a fling?

>They're not doing anything dastardly or evil either
LMAO

ok

>Pizzaman had a great story to tell in season 1,
No he didn't. The only thing that made the show stand out was the technical filmaking and the performances. The only aspect of the plot that wasn't completely formulaic shit was the hints at the occult on the periphery.

this desu
Liking lovecraft memes is reddit as fuck

A couple of reasons.

Most people wanted more of season 1. Specifically the occult undertones and a Rust-like character.

Season 2 departed by widening the scope of characters to focus on, which gave far less time for character development. This also created more storylines and subplots which detracted from the overarching story that unites all the plotlines. By the time the main plot becomes relevant again and they make a break in the mystery, there's such little time that the story becomes rushed to conclude.

I actually liked season 2 a lot and am sad that it got so much bad flak, but it had some decent-sized flaws.

What did they even do? I can't even remember.

Season 2 was just boring by comparison. It never had that "start asking the right fucking questions" moment to get viewers hooked. Plus no Daddario titties to satisfy the teens.

Top tier actors vs meh actors

apart from the murders they also ruined large swathes of land by poisoning the groundwater and commited major capital fraud basically stealing from an entire country.

you also had the whole thing about raping the sister

but i guess its ok because nobody was wearing a crown made of sticks

Then they did the promo wrong. I thought it was yet again the female badass trope. The serie looked too dark anyway. I like the Texas summer movie better than a dark urban thriller. One thing I liked is that these series are always taking place in a city if not just New York but here we get to see the country, that was refreshing

>he didnt understand the Greek tragedy

because of the underlying unsettling tones with cultists doing fuck knows what dark rituals with child molestation and sacrifice and the ominous atmosphere of dread with meaningless hunt for things out of their reach

in the show they called it devil worship which is inherently unlovecraftian i guess

Yeah that was sort of an issue. It had the same sort of tone and hints towards some kind of occult shit with the guy in the bird mask, the one guy having his eyes ripped out, etc but it all just kind of came back to some kind of elite Illuminati society trying to keep people silenced. Which IS occult in a way but they probably could've done a little bit more to push that aspect of it, especially if they wanted to somehow connect it to the cult from the first season.

Regardless I still think Season 2 was very good, not as good as the first one but definitely not bad. The cinematography and overall tone was nearly spot on.

If you dislike s2 strictly because it's not season 1, youre missing the whole point of the word anthology. Literally the only link between s1 and s2 are cops and mystery. I'm glad they didn't try to rehash rust and martys story, it wouldve been pointless. S2 may not be as great as s1 but its still very watchable and well acted with an interesting (albeit somewhat convoluted) story and some heartbreaking resolutions.

I genuinely felt for each of the main characters in s2 where is s1 didn't feel a deeper connection to rust or marty although they were great characters.

Season 2 is better than 1.

I liked season 1 better, not just because of the characters but because of the developing cosmic horror aspect. If you took away that, it wouldn't be half as memorable. So yes, there are valid complaints about season 2 being tame thrillershit

>frank's ending
>gay cop's ending
>ray's ending
Season 1 didn't have all these feels.

>especially if they wanted to somehow connect it to the cult from the first season

but they didnt want to because it makes no sense.

the "cult" of season 1 was a very old family which infiltrated deep into the louisiana government and from this position protected their more "inbred" family members in the woods.

its entirely different from season 2 which is more a play on big business and the ties corporations have with secret societies.

>muh cosmic horror
Go watch fucking berserk then

This. Season 1 was good season 2 is great because the characters flaws. Tfw message not delivered ;(

Fantastic scene
youtube.com/watch?v=ZxFjH19Jx34

I can't believe people think "too dark" is a valid complaint - especially when there is still some humour.

Missing the point again. Season 1 had an almost magical realism. What made it so great is that it developed INTO a cosmic horror, but still remained grounded. Season 2 is just boring run-of-the-mill copshit that's been done 1 million times already

Where is all this talk of "cosmic horror" coming from anyway? Am I missing some stupid YouTube fan theory that got popular?

There is no scene in season 1 even half as "Kino" as this one.

I think everyone liked the old bayou voodoo and devil worship shit. But there were some wtf moments
>spaghetti monster
>martys wife cucking him
>whatever the fuck was going on with his daughters
Plus some A+ certified turbo autist moments by rust

>What made it so great is that it developed INTO a cosmic horror

this didnt fucking happen man go rewatch the show

Because they had to shove feminist garbage in it. I'm supposed to believe that Rachel McAdams is a bad ass FBI agent who kicks male ass. I couldn't even get past the second episode.

Fuuuuuuu
This was the best acting role from vince vaughn ive ever seen

>being unfamiliar with the cosmic horror genre
Carcosa and the Yellow King are elements from Robert Chambers and Lovecraft. The fact that Rust nor anyone else ever makes any reference to this cult deriving its nature from Chambers,' implies that the Yellow King is real in the TD universe. At the very least it implies there is some cosmic aspect to the cult and, considering Rust's visions, it seems likely that there is some twisted reality going on

>being this pleb
>implying 1% of women cant do physical jobs
A big part of the show was her character development and showing why she was like that and it all made sense

He's a kino actor. It's just the reddit squad nu-male dominated "correct" movie opinon drones who shit on him. I saw Hacksaw Ridge in theaters and the entire room of right wing christian males were entranced every moment he was onscreen.

Right wing actors trigger the cucks.

To be fair Marty's wife was just getting back at him for being a cheating piece of shit.

>The fact that Rust nor anyone else ever makes any reference to this cult deriving its nature from Chambers,' implies that the Yellow King is real in the TD universe

LMAO

>Spaghetti monster
That was Childress with the scars, retard
>Cucking
The climax of Marty and Maggie's relationship tension
>his daughters
I'll give you this one. They were fucking annoying.

Perhaps YOU need to rewatch it my friend.

Dude you are reading waaaaaaay too much into it

man, i yawned just reading this

Were does that leave season 2's vision?
youtube.com/watch?v=8sN_YtynITo

She's 5'3", 115 lbs.

There's a reason the writers chose "Carcosa" and the "Yellow King" as objects of the cult's obsession, rather than just Satan

jfc dude, time to ease back on the Sup Forums speak.

its not. it was still good. just looks bad in contrast with the phenomenon that was season 1. it was still better the 99% of the garbage that was on TV at that time.

We all knew who the fucjing spaghetti monster was nigger, the way the hamfisted it into the story was just sloppy writing for your enlightened higher thinking cosmic horror mystery show

You seem to forget that a lot was built up for no delivery. In the end it was just some hillbilly rapist, who was apparently cultured despite adding nothing to his character.

>S2
>bad

Bunch of ass pens ITT.

>cosmic horror
i loved S1 but come on that was not cosmic horror you guys need to stop using buzzwords like "lovecraftian" and le ebin "cosmic horror" especially considering that you dont know what they mean

And if you watched the show youd see everyone on the force resented her. This is why she trains religiously on her own time and later in s2 she is about to be killed by a huge russian and only survives by using her muscle memory from training and fighting dirty. She knkws she cant compete basically and has to use everything she possibly can to her advantage

you took a wrong turn, moron, plebbit is the other way

"Sup Forums speak" is Sup Forums speak. If you don't like it then leave Sup Forums.

I think season 1 was boring as fuck, Rust's whole wut iz reality thing just dragged on.

I enjoyed season 2 a lot more and it was KINO AS FUCK

I despise mary sues and women beating up hordes of men on screen, but her character just wasn't offensive in that way. She was a fucked up woman with an anal fetish who tried to act tough because she was terrified. At no point did she beat the shit out of men.

>lovecraftian occult

lovecraft illiterate detected

>You seem to forget that a lot was built up for no delivery. In the end it was just some hillbilly rapist,
Did you even watch the show? Childress was the centre of the cult and the one who maintained Carcosa, but it extended out to the most powerful family in Louisiana, including one of the state's senators.

>who was apparently cultured despite adding nothing to his character.
Almost as if he was possessed or something, huh? Almost as if he had become a vessel for the Yellow King

cringe

>because fictional murderer makes reference to real life fiction, this implies that real life fiction is real in this fictional world

whaaaaaat?

>whatever the fuck was going on with his daughters
They were obviously molested by the pedo cult. The only mystery about that is why Pizza Latte didn't pursue it further.

TD Season 2 apologists are easily some of the worst and most contrarian people on Sup Forums

this 100%

If you hate s2 then you hate kino itself.

Because Rust or anyone else never ONCE brings up Chambers or Lovecraft. If the real life fiction were also fiction in the TD universe, Rust would have brought that up, don't you think? Don't you think it'd be just a little integral to the psychology behind the cult?

Dude where can i read your fanfiction?

It's just memesters. They're easy to filter out and ignore.

>Did you even watch the show? Childress was the centre of the cult and the one who maintained Carcosa, but it extended out to the most powerful family in Louisiana, including one of the state's senators.
Yes? What did I say that's wrong? The person Rust spent all the years looking for was just one hillbilly, all the other cult members had stopped or being killed.
>Almost as if he was possessed or something, huh? Almost as if he had become a vessel for the Yellow King
Oh dear...

This. The only people who don't like S2 are reddit migrants.

Get fucked. Farrell gives one of the great performances of TV history in s2. Just because it doesn't have "muh southern gothic" or "muh lovecraft fedora tips like muh bloodborne" doesn't change that.

>most kino TV characters
Tony Soprano
Kevin Garvey
Velcro

This. All the main performances in S2 were at least 8/10, with velcro and frank 10/10

>Kevin Garvey
>Not Matt
Shiggy

>Rust may be the best crime-fiction character we've seen in recent memory
Christ you're stupid. Rust is the epitope of edginess, in the interviews he honestly comes off as a 14 yo dipshit narrating his own fantasy.
Also, if he's your only argument in favor of season 1, that says a lot about how you view shows.

or you know it was just a reference.

Which makes sense because otherwise you would have to do a useless scene of him investigating the literature which is 100% pointless because even in the fucking genre fiction there is no information about carcosa or the yellow king in there. And it also doesnt advance the case

so WHY HAVE THE SCENE AT ALL? You dont because its not important because its just a reference and you dont want the episode to look like a fucking ad or history lesson about random shit that no one but you cares about.

Watch the the series again and pay attention to what is conveyed and why.

your yellow king hypthesis is fanfic tier asspulling

If you like the character so much, why not spell his name correctly instead of memeing?

Pizzalato pls go, everyone knows now you're a hack without Fukunaga

I mean it was never stated concretely how deep the cult went, could've possibly gone up to the international level if they wanted it to.

>Almost as if he had become a vessel for the Yellow King

yellow king confirmed for britbong

>epitope

consider suicide my dude

>You have one of the biggest auras I've ever seen
What did he mean by this? Seriously

One of my complaints about Season 1 that I don't see talked about much is what the hell was the point of all that screen time for Marty's daughters when there was no resolution or payoff for some of the weird questions that were brought up regarding their lives and behaviors. It was literally a plot that just got dropped in the last 3 episodes and never addressed again.

>epitope

He's a korinefag

it doesnt make sense for childress to specify that his family has been in this place for a very long time though.

And also the murders are all isolated to the local area.

There is no need to spin the conspiracy further, because that is what season 2 does. It presents a conspiracy which seems very real(based partly on a true city btw) and also more likely to span multiple continents

And that is why Season 2 is a great sequel, it presents something sinister which has much deeper roots

meant epitome, sorry

because Ligotti didn't write season 2

s01 was good till the green paint shit, that completely ruined it