This is the best sci-fi film of the millennium

This is the best sci-fi film of the millennium.

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

On Sup Forums? This place is filled with plebs who couldn't understand it.

>Thought Provoking
>New Iconic Villains
>Beautiful
>Horror movie characters make Horror movie decisions...
>"IT'S SHIT!"

I've found that liking or disliking prometheus is a pretty good barometer of a person's morality. If they liked it, they usually are not turned off by religion and enjoy musing on the unknowable. Those that hated it are shallow minded plebs who want to be spoon fed every single detail

Prometheus is like probing your prostate with a realistic black dildo, quite the experience but not for the weak minded.

samefag

fuck off brainlet, this thread is not for your kind

I enjoyed it. Its a movie about arrogance. The Engineers creating humanity and then deciding to destroy them, but having their weapon get out of control.

Humans going to the stars to meet their makers, despite not necessarily being worthy. Especially Weyland.

Holloway believing himself to be superior to David before David poisons him.

A lot of good shit going on in this.

The scene where Weyland gets conked to death with David's head is one of the top 10 funniest in cinematic history

How do you explain the illogical/inconsistent character behavior

>biologist freaks out and is afraid to go near the body of an alien that's been dead for thousands of years
>is eager to reach out and pet a live alien snake thing

The weed lmao

>Watch Alien Covenant
David is implied to be the creator of the Xenomorphs, having done experimentations using the Engineer's bioweapon for the past 10 years, using Shaw for his experiments
>Decades later the Nostromo finds a derilict Engineer ship with a cargo hold filled with Xenomorph eggs
The eggs weren't part of the lifecycle until David fucked with them and made them that way

How does this fucking work?

it works because there's two more prequels left to go before we get to the Nostromo you fucking dunce

That's not how you spell Oblivion

That's not a poster for Edge of tomorrow

except that the Engineers are all dead now, and the derilict on LV426 had been there for a long time, long enough for the "space jockey" to fossilize.

I mean I get making the AvP series non canon and maybe I understand the ego involved in not even really caring about what took place in Aliens, Alien 3, or Alien Resurrection because he didn't have anything to do with them. But can Ridley Scott keep the story straight and not have huge fucking plot holes in the movies he himself directed at least?

>I don't understand it so it's a plot hole!
Fuck off brainlet

this is great, this is official promotional material?

Yeah, it is. The only thing that I don't like about it is the fact that they used AVP artwork for the Xenomorph.

>all the shit not designed by Geiger that looks like garbage

Epic for the win, my man.

OK, got it. One thing i'm still confused about: if david is trying to use evolution to make the ultimate predator, why do we wind up with the alien later on instead of the superior neomorph?

This whole series is a big fat scam to force nerds to split from their money. They know that they've sucked in a gullible audience with their artificial theatrics, and they know that if Scott et al keeps "suggesting" in interviews and promos that the answers will come, people will keep paying to see these shitty movies- it's the Kevin Feige method. Meanwhile, the huckster director is suggesting that we now need to read the novels, wait for the next film, be sure to watch the prequel, glance through the tie-in comics and buy the Mountain Dew with the "free" special internet code.

Well, I'll be the big man and spoil it for everybody: there is no secret, no mythology worth sitting through these glorified slashers, no nothing. You'll be just as mystified by the fourth director's cut as you are by the theatrical version; and it won't be your fault either.

>pale man with big cartoony cgi jaws

They should have really made these Alien prequels before geiger died if they wanted them to be not shit. I think Ridley was just waiting for him to die because he thought he could design something better himself.

The neomorph definitely isn't superior. As far as we know, they have no way to procreate and the only way that they can be born is from spores. The spores have to be placed in a landscape in order for someone to be infected. A Xenomorph is able to create eggs out of a human or any humanoid creature.
Giger died 2 years after the release of Prometheus.

I too am an intellectual and very smart. I'm also a radical centrist much like yourself. Us enlightened folk are so much better than those who enjoy things.

Covenant was a bad movie but I still admire it's totally misanthropic tone. But the shoddy visuals coupled with this abomination are almost too much to forgive.

Maybe some of us believe that human beings have done enough unspeakable things in service of a genuinely good, loving deity; and that nerds are already irrational, ill-educated people, and that it's probably unhealthy for them to spend all their time discussing the ecumenical profundities of anthropomorphic dildo monsters.

REPORTED

Is Alien Covenant on Trump's list of required movies or something?

lmao, you really showed me. I truly feel vanquished, Hail Trump

2001: A Space Odyssey

>Engineers are dead
The guys who looked like mini engineers are all dead on this colony planet

>Fossilized derelict with eggs
Perhaps in his hubris David assumed HE had created the perfect lifeform, but turns out the engineers knew about Xenos and Deacons, and created Earth with its humanoids in order to harvest fresh Xenomorphs. They've been using us as cattle to create their perfect weapons.

It makes no sense and you cannot defend it.

>Black Liquid created by Engineers and housed in ships to drop on earth to wipe it out, the ships are on LV-223, a Moon in the Zeta Reticuli system.
>creates Trilobites in humans, if a Trilobite impregnates an Engineer, it creates a Deacon.
>David uses the black liquid to genetically engineer a complete Xenomorph Lifecycle as seen in Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3, AFTER having wiped out the entire Engineer population on their homeworld.
>later jumps all the way to Origae-6, a planet that is more than 7 years away
>Decades later Nostromo lands on LV-426, a moon orbiting the same planet as LV-223, and finds Xenomorph eggs in the hold of a derilict Engineer ship housing a FOSSILIZED Engineer at the controls.

Fossilized, as in this wreck was thousands of years old, sending out a distress signal that was somehow missed by the Prometheus despite the moons orbiting the same planet, holding eggs, that were somehow not a thing until David made them a thing.

The "thousands of years old" doesn't hold up with the "David made them less than 30 years ago". Nor does the distress signal hold up.

and if you're saying that David made the eggs, went to Origae-6, infected all the colonists, then traveled back, another decade or so+, to put the eggs on LV-426

It still makes no sense. If David was trying to set a trap with the eggs, because he wanted to wipe out Humanity, why LV-426, find a wrecked ship with a fossilized Engineer....

Why not just drop the eggs on earth, as the ship on LV-426 was speculated to be using the eggs as a bioweapon to drop on a planet to begin with.

Ridley Scott comes across as a hack who can't maintain continuity in his own stories.

It doesn't make sense because Scott is hellbent on going ahead with his original storyline for the prequels while the studio is insisting he put xenomorphs in the movies for fear of losing viewers if they aren't there, even though it makes no sense for them to exist at that time and place in the setting.

Really though, it's not that big of a plothole. Just because David figured out how to engineer xenomorphs from the goo doesn't mean the Engineers hadn't been doing exactly that for millions of years. They even had xenomorph figures on their murals in Prometheus

>hellbent on going ahead with his original storyline for the prequels while the studio is insisting he put xenomorphs in the movies blah blah blah

source?

also, I forgot about the xenomorph figures-- that actually explains a lot

It's a huge plot hole, both the distress signal and the fully realized Xenomorphs being in the cargo hold of an ancient ship when the film implies that they are a new thing created by David.

The whole thing is that Scott wanted to imply that the Xenomoprhs have human DNA as part of them.. but their existence in that state thousands of years before humans started exploring space makes that a retcon at best, or a hack not being able to remember the details of his own earlier work at worst.

all I can say is that while Ridley Scott has made some incredibly good movies, I'd NEVER let him direct a sequel, not even a sequel to a movie he directed originally.

Make him stick to 1 off films that are not part of a series so continuity is never an issue.

>perhaps
David found an egg on the planet and modelled his new eggs after that, it was already confirmed.

>ANCIENT SHIP THAT WAS THERE FOR THOUSANDS OF MILLIONS OF YEARS AND IT FOSSILIZED EVEN WITHOUT ANY WATER AND MINERALS AROUND IT
Only if you had any evidence for these claims, or even a single hint.

>Let's shoot 40 volts into the head to temporarily activate the nerves.
>fossilized, or mummified muscles then move
>goo thinks this is close enough to life
>blows up head

How outta that related to the derelict ship in alien?

It's not as good as Source Code, Gravity, Children of Men, Interstellar, Moon, the Planet of the Apes reboot films, or Covenant

Nobody who has said samefag has ever been right, why is this a surprise?

>children of reddit

how so

>interstellar
>good
>nevermind "best of the millenium"

fuck off. I also think the new "apes" suck, and that gravity wasn't technically sci-fi.

I never said it was good, just better than Prometheus.

It is good though. And how the fuck was Gravity not sci-fi? You're saying it was non fiction?

Have you ever smoked weed?

It does not make you do stupid shit like that.

>I trust that Hollywood screenwriters are not complete fucking idiots driven by producer slavemasters to make the most mainstream appealing product possible for maximum profits and I rationalize their garbage writing with my fanfiction

>Ultrahack Scott reveals himself as little more than a production-design freak; Prometheus (convincingly shot in 3-D) lacks the atmospheric awe of the first film, the undeniably well-paced tension of James Cameron's sequel and the rich, evocative splendor of Jeunet's capstone.
Instead, Prometheus is marked by Scott's typically shallow characterization, narrative confusion and disrespect for movie history.

Not to mention, why would you not tell people what they are doing until they arrive AND why would people volunteer without knowing what the fuck they're doing?

i honestly don't care for prometheus so it might as well be worse than interstellar i guess. I need to rewatch it and i wont.

Gravity is not sci-fi because the science is all realistic, and because it barely plays a role in the movie. I mean.. the movie might as well be "cast away" set in space.

Well, the more obvious comparison is definitely ALL IS LOST, but I think it's absurd to say that either the redford film or GRAVITY isn't very concerned with the technologies they interact with and the science that informs their plight.

My thoughts during COVENANT.

Why are they not wearing suits on this planet?

Why are they not worried about breathing in something dangerous?

Oh look, someone breathed in something dangerous.

They just landed on an alien planet with no spacesuit or re-breather or anything. Why are they surprised people are getting sick?

Hey, this is somewhat interesting all of a sudden. If I just forget about the build-up, I might be able to enjoy this.

Uh, they're referencing Prometheus a lot all of a sudden. I'll just ignore it.

Oh look, David made the eggs from the first ALIEN.

Wait, if David made the eggs then how did so many of them end up on the crashed ship in ALIEN?

And how does the Alien Queen fit into all of this?

Now we're at the finale. Is the audience not supposed to know that Walter is dead and David is pretending to be him?

OH SHIT, she just squished a xenomorph!

Finally, we're back on the ship.

AAAAAANNNNNDDDDD it's over.

Why is David such a dick?

Danny McBride was surprisingly good in this.

Yes it has absolutely no niggers in it.

speaking for me personally, I prefer moon & sunshine

cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

This should spell the subtext and symbolism out for the plebs.

The weakness of this movie was the painfully irrational actions of the main characters. Despite the atmosphere of thought provoking symbolism and backstory, it was still a high-budget conventional action movie with chase scenes and expensive bells and whistle, and most of those fell flat. Had Ridley Scott gone with a less conventional route and dared to follow a Kubrick-esque route, Prometheus had the ideas behind it to be remembered as a landmark scifi film, instead of a slightly above average popcorn flick. This one collapsed under the weight of its own budget and studio expectations.

>Why are they not wearing suits on this planet?
They wouldn't have landed on the planet in the first place if they didn't think it was 100% chill, their readings indicated it was even safer than the planet they WERE going to colonize (presumably without suits).

It honestly pissed me off way less than in PROMETHEUS.

sure, but it doesn't even scratches the surface of importance in the plot's core.
Let me make it clear with an example:
on gattaca, movie that i didn't like btw, the whole plot is driven by "eugenics". That's a very sci-fi thing to tackle, despite the movie being quite grounded and not about space monsters and stuff a kid might think when u say sci-fi. It opens a lot of grey areas on morality, and it's something that science might end up trying in the future.
On gravity, the plot is driven by "a wreckage" "being stranded" and the introspection of the characters. and eventually their struggle to get back into "the world" which in this case is literal, but it might as well be "landing" after being on a boat or island. There is no concern or discussion about tech in the movie, no morality, no "fiction" on that science

ex machina is a nice example of modern sci-fi btw.

Air quality and microscopic death organisms are two very different things.

Why would they not assume there was any sort of bacteria. Hell there was bacteria on Earth that killed tons of people because they had never been around it before.

The Skyrim prequel?

This triggered me so hard I almost sperged out of Prometheus AND Covenant when they removed their helmets/went in without suits. Who the fuck does that? Its idiotic. Even undergrads in college know contamination, both ways, is bad news for everyone involved. Yet these """Scientists""" shove their hands into everything and breathe the air like its nothing.

Good films almost ruined by sending in down syndrome babies instead of clever characters.

I think having the concern for technical logistics at the core of your plot qualifies you just as much as "sci fi" as having a moral debate about the science.

Also, it is all based upon a speculative event
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

It's science fiction. It's not the type of sci fi you are talking about, but you simply need to expand your definition.

You guys don't have a fucking clue what sort of information they were deriving from their scans, what sort of immunizations/biomechanical implants they might have that make spacesuits a non-issue, etc.

I recall people crying that Shaw shouldn't have been able to run around after giving herself a C-section, as if you fucking know the molecular properties and effects of the futuristic anaesthesia/steroid cream she rubs on her belly.

You would be a fool to not assume these colonists didn't have access to all sorts of tech that you don't understand; it's never been in the spirit of the franchise to explain that shit to you.

Well...

THEY GOT INFECTED FROM SHIT FLOATING IN THE AIR.

You don't understand how suspension of disbelief works. If you pull at it too much, you need to set it up ahead of time for the brain not to call bullshit. Pulling a Chekov's Gun is the easiest fucking thing in the world but half the screenwriters in the Wood can't even manage that.

As soon as they opened the ship door I was thinking where are their helmets. They're just gonna breathe the air? Okay.

Oh look, now they're sick.

kek
>do sooper dooper futuristic scan
>guys no particles its okay we can stick our dicks in the slime
>wait no we got infected
>fugg
>this would not have happened if we had taken minimal precautions with regards to sanitation

Fucking this

I had someone tell me Covenant is shit solely for them not wearing suits.

Could just be a side-effect of god vaccines protecting them from any normally understood infection or sickness, that of course the blackgoo/spores are unfathomably strong.

That or just cockiness in their futuristic, high quality med treatment

that doesn't even respond to what he said or dispute it though.

As he said, you have no idea WHAT type tech and enhanced immune system they have, things that wouldn't matter against the black goo being a very unforseen bioweapon

>I recall people crying that Shaw shouldn't have been able to run around after giving herself a C-section, as if you fucking know the molecular properties and effects of the futuristic anaesthesia/steroid cream she rubs on her belly.

Pain killers don't do shit when your muscles have been lasered apart and then stapled back together.

>As he said, you have no idea WHAT type tech and enhanced immune system they have, things that wouldn't matter against the black goo being a very unforseen bioweapon

Which is why you wear a goddamn helmet.

How am I dumb for wanting them to wear helmets when the reason they got sick was because they weren't wearing helmets?

Nah dude don't you understand? You're supposed to turn off your brain bro. Just ignore every inconsistency in storytelling and every little excuse the filmmakers made. Just focus on the Jesus analogies bro.

>Hey, it's one of those xeno ayy eggs that have the facehuggers in them, you shouldn't look into those, I've seen the Ridley movie in the theaters oh wait nevermind

I know you're being sarcastic, but I have had people actually tell me this. People will bend over backwards to defend Prometheus and I don't know why.

>Armond likes Aliens
NOT MY KING

Not even what we're talking about. Good try though.

ehh. I'm okay with calling it "low key" sci fi. or some neologism like that. It just can't be put on the same box with star wars and robocop just to name a few.

The point is that you guys apply logic and knowledge that you get from these movies to the characters' decisions.

Again, it's the future. Why not?

What? There isn't any inconsistency. Thinking you have infallible knowledge of the sci-fi world it exists and that you KNOW exactly the type of scans they ran, or type of immune system they have is the retarded thing.

All of the space-suit complaints are just idiots

And since when did film criticism, where you can talk about characters, themes, presentation, etcetc, end up to just mouthbreathers complaining about not being spoon-fed details and finding minor "problems" (read: things that werent told to my stupid head!)

There's nothing wrong with Prometheus. nitpicking minor decisions where things weren't specifically spelled out for your retarded pea-brain, like why characters did what they did, is just your problem

>Thought Provoking
insofar as it provoked me to think, "wow, that was a stupid movie," sure.

Yup. Just like

>prometheus
>guy is suited up, fascinated by a snake thats only a foot or two long
>The autistic RLM audience screeches "HE SHOULD KNOW HES IN AN ALIEN MOVIE, WHY DOES HE TRY TO TOUCH IT"
>in reality he just thinks he's safe in his protected spacesuit
>these subhumans cry the movie didnt explain every minute thought he had

No, I'm applying the knowledge that people have died ON EARTH from not protecting themselves from the native diseases.

Why would you not apply the exact same precautions to an alien planet?

Jesus fuck how can one poster be such a pleb?

There's a difference between a steaming mess of symbolism and irrational bullshit mixed into a soup of poorly written characters and a good flick that plays its cards close to the chest and allows audiences to draw their own conclusions. Prometheus falls into the first category.

I bet you also like Batman Vs. Superman.

>Again, it's the future. Why not?

Because, there is no scene saying this, which means you had to fill in the mistake in your own head with something that makes the mistake make sense.

That's not a good story.

>>prometheus
>>guy is suited up, fascinated by a snake thats only a foot or two long
>>The autistic RLM audience screeches "HE SHOULD KNOW HES IN AN ALIEN MOVIE, WHY DOES HE TRY TO TOUCH IT"
>>in reality he just thinks he's safe in his protected spacesuit
>>these subhumans cry the movie didnt explain every minute thought he had

NO

>guy is afraid of dead aliens
>suddenly wants to touch an alive alien (completely outside of his established characterization) and it also looks like a goddamn cobra snake.

>There's a difference between a steaming mess of symbolism and irrational bullshit mixed into a soup of poorly written characters and a good flick that plays its cards close to the chest and allows audiences to draw their own conclusions. Prometheus falls into the first category.

THIS

Look i agree they were careless with the safety precautions, that part is one of the flaws of the movie, but there was a human being living on the planet for them, and they could analyse the air in a scene you never saw, and generally people bring up mistakes that are not mistakes. This one is close but still. Use your head.

Again, you fall back to irrational bullshit. What character decisions are so irrational that it completely detracts from all the good the movie had?

There's nothing, there's just your inability to think for yourself. You arbitrarily choose what is "a steaming mess of symbolism" and not, cause Covenant and Prometheus have a lot of great subtle themes, references and yes, symbolism that i know it hurts the Aliens audience like you who wants more flamethrowers

you're retarded enough to think a sci-fi movie needs to show and tell every single thing though.

Like, they all put on their spacesuits and one of them loudly says "Ah yes, my amazing folded 1000 times steel spacesuit where nothing will be able to hurt me later!" *looks at camera*

how about stop being a fucking retard

>one thing is a 10 foot tall horrifying looking thing
>one is a tiny snake, and being a biologist he's a lot more interested in the living thing + doesn't make the connection because again, he does not know he's in an Alien movie

another sub-human retard

Okay, so this is trolling. I get it now. I'm surprised I fell for it for this long. You aren't addressing anyone's points, you're just falling back into the same snarky knockbacks without defending the movie itself.

Oh and another thing to reply to you with

When he's "afraid" of the corpse, it's also cause the captain is telling them about the readings of a living thing down that fucking tunnel.

aka holy shit, all these corpses and there's something living that way, lets get the fuck out

but you're being disingenuous and weren't paying attention to the movie well cause it didn't have Ripley tits or whatever made you care about the first ones

How am i supposed to defend specific details of the movie and whatever "irrational bullshit" when that's all he said? Give me whatever information and i'll defend the movie itself, all i responded to was someone saying "Hurr irrational bullshit"

can't brainread

Then why have him be afraid at all?

How about he is extremely interested to finally be able to study an alien lifeform, the first human to do so and he decides to stay when the others leave.

Then later he finds an alien lifeform that is alive and gets even more excited and doesn't pay attention to the fact that it seems very predatorial because he is super excited and then it kills him.

THERE, I just fixed it in five seconds.

that's not what a prequel is

Fixed what?

He's a biologist, his love and interesting in any living thing is obvious

Hence that's a very good reason why he tried to touch the worm

That is all displayed for you in the movie, he's a biologist, the other guy is a geologist and "loves rocks" so its pretty clear the other guy probably loves living things

What did you fix exactly cause THAT'S IN THE FUCKING MOVIE

A9 Edit makes it on par with Alien since it clears up the Guy Pearce narrative

>you're retarded enough to think a sci-fi movie needs to show and tell every single thing though.
>Like, they all put on their spacesuits and one of them loudly says "Ah yes, my amazing folded 1000 times steel spacesuit where nothing will be able to hurt me later!" *looks at camera*
>how about stop being a fucking retard

What are you talking about? His fear/no fear doesn't stem from the suit.

He was afraid of something dead a few minutes ago, but now wants to pet a snake that is clearly acting aggressively. How does that make sense to you?

Why write him to be afraid in the first place?

Dude, those two guys were scared because the things they found were not natural. The pothead explains this if you didn't miss it somehow. The biologist found a natural creature, an animal and found it interesting. Also he wasn't really scared like the other. Intelligent aliens creating weird shit that kills them and a random animal is not the same.

THEN WHY WAS HE AFRAID OF THE DEAD THING? He should be excited about studying alien life. That's why he is there. Yet he runs away scared from a DEAD ALIEN and then tries to pet an alive alien that is clearly showing signs of aggression?

If anything, it should be the opposite.