The Great X-Men Storytime - Vol. 3: New Mutants (Part 15)

This is it, folks. The end.

PREVIOUSLY ON X-MEN:

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/UOJim/status/735669823011717120
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the.. the end of what?

I believe the Volume.

Of this chunk of issues that is.

Soooo what did you guys read today?

Hah! Fuck no, we're just getting started. Volumes are huge, I don't call 'em that for nuthin.

the return of Wally West, the last issue of Secret Six, Captain America and Extraordinary X-Men, which is so bad it makes Bunn's Uncanny look like a Masterpiece.

Ah shit, I forgot to do the storytiming trick thingamabob, brb

trick?

I only read Rebirth today, I got a couple other things like Tokyo Ghost but I haven't had time to read 'em.

When you post the OP image from a different computer then storytime the rest so it stays bumped.

Yeah, that thing where you change your IP after posting the thread

Is it weird to say I like Sam's jug handle ears?

Sam you're the best

So, random question: which one's worse for a character, to stay in limbo unused, to be ruined by future writers or to be dead? (death being not The Final and Ultimate End but an annoyance a future writer will have to get rid of later)

> to stay in limbo unused, to be ruined by future writers or to be dead?

I say option B. I'd rather have a writer try and bring a character back from the dead than explain " no they weren't really evil"

I mean look at Bishop, he spent two different crossovers trying to murder a baby

Sometimes writers legit just forget characters are dead, so it's not there's overlap. I'd say death, for the slight inconvenience of resurrection.

> Sam's face in the last panel

I agree, I feel like the whole "bringing someone back from the dead cheapens death" argument doesn't work anymore because death HAS been chepaned so much already. Everyone jokes about what a "comic book death" means so there's no point holding back, y'know? Just embrace it.

On the other hand this is true as well, a resurrection can be tricky in some cases. Sometimes a character dies off-panel so it's pretty easy to bring them back, other times it's a lot more difficult.

Especially if they're a more minor character, those are the toughest to bring back so you really have to consider your options well before offing them.

>Sometimes a character dies off-panel so it's pretty easy to bring them back, other times it's a lot more difficult.

It won't be until the 2000's, but there was a teen mutant that Kyle/Yost hated so much they killed him off twice because another writer used him after the first attempt. It was the rock mutant who wasn't Rockslide

Hah, that happens with some Green Lanterns too.

/SS/ geez Claremont

limbo, as in, retired status quo who can be brought back at any time.

Bendis brought back Karma for an issue of his new x-men, she nonesensically appeared in the ruins of Utopia with a bunch of d list characters.
No editor told him Karma is a billionaire right now.
Also, he didnt understand that when Karma posseses someone, she doesnt only control their bodies, her mind replaces the mind of the person she possesses. He had teen Cyclops complain about having lost control of his body.

Bishop is a character that was almost ruined completely. The only thing that could redeem him a bit would be for Hope, who is in limbo, pretty much forgotten, to become a huge villain.

A Lantern is only dead until an artist puts them in a splash page by accident.

True, second option seems to be the worst so far. Bishop is an excelent example of this.

The Fair?! Didn't Professor X warn you kids about all the shit the X-Men get into every time a fair/carnival/circus comes to town?

if they are ruined or dead that can be fixed by a good writer, someone would say Beast is ruined but right now is up to Soule (uncanny inhumans writer) to have the chance to make him good again.

As some user said being dead is trickier but there are good examples of characters what were brought back to life and they were great after that, like Cypher who resurrected in Necrosha.

I think limbo is the worst case, taking as example the academy x kids, who were all great and all that but they became background characters, hell Even Morrison x-teen are getting more attention that them.

But being in limbo can also mean that your story is complete, look at Madrox and Rahne, they got their happy endings, there is no need to bring them back.

I heard Claremont give the best example of this. Marvel was trying to get people to care about Wolverine's death just months after they had a story where the X-Men pulled Nightcrawler out of Heaven

Also I want say something, I downloaded all the 100 issues of new mutants and I only got until the issue 36 where magneto becomes the new headmaster, I wonder what make him quit.

I've read New Mutants more than once, but I always forget about fucking Team America.

>I wonder what make him quit
It's all downhill after Fall of the Mutants. He really did try though

Those are good points, but I feel like writing a character out of a bad spot can be really tricky. I used to really love Hank but after all the shit he's done I'm not sure if I'll ever look at him the same way, unless they reveal he was an evil twin all along or some stupid shit like that.

>Bishop is a character that was almost ruined completely. The only thing that could redeem him a bit would be for Hope, who is in limbo, pretty much forgotten, to become a huge villain.

That wouldn't work either, because they already had Storm lobotomize Bishop to erase everything bad he did and 'redeem' him

>unless they reveal he was an evil twin all along
They already killed off Dark Beast

Of course, I call tired cliche twists like that "dumb shit" but fact is, a truly talented writer can make it work, shame there's so few of them working in the Big Two these days.

Yeah I know, I meant another evil twin. Uh, Darker Beast, yeah that works.

Also I want to comment in something but has nothing to do with the current subject, but it seem marvel gained more attention with the captain america comic that DC with rebirth, I mean for fuck sake the while hailHydra is no trending in twitter, I just wanted DC to win this time, they have taken a lot of blows already.

I am sorry for bringing this here but most of Sup Forums is already losing their shit and this seem like the only thread were we are actually having a good and calm discussion about comics

It will all be revealed in this special issue of The X-Men " The Real McCoy"

at this point it is easier to kill him and have him be perma replaced by young Hank from the past.

Anger gets way more attention than anything else. Marvel has been open about this

Yeah, that kind of sucked for them, and it's funny because, while they were both pretty gimmicky issues (Rebirth with Watchmen, Cap with Hydra), Marvel's offering was frankly a lot more tired and cliched (Oh no, Cap is EVIL?!?!?!?!?!?!?) so I was expecting Rebirth to trend, guess cheap gimmicks still work.

>my Flash is back
>someone is storytiming Ostrander Suicide Squad
>some based user is still doing the Great X-Men Storytime
>someone is storytiming Milligan Shade
>someone is storytiming Emerald Twilight

Sup Forums IS LOVE AND I LOVE YOU

(I may have gone overboard on the scorpion bowls tonight, but my point still stands)

The only thing that could make my nerdboner any stiffer is if current Mahvel editorial stopped shitting on Cyclops. But one dream at a time...

That might just be it desu, Hank has become a rally toxic character lately

Don't worry, Sup Forums will be shit again once X-Men Apocalypse comes out in the States.

And then again when Suicide Squad comes out.

>not hiding all movie threads

C'mon X-user. You should know by now Storytimes are the only thing that redeems this board

I think the issue is most people know Captain America because of the movies, but only people who buy comics know Wally West.
So, it makes sense that the Captain America stuff was trending on twitter.

This saddens me more because the Captain America stuff seems rather unimportant, it probably just means that Red Skull is using Xavier's brain to give Cap false memories. It is a normal evil telepath plot, not some big revelation.

That is what angers me the most, I barely read anything from DC but i know about the complains most people in Sup Forums have about new 52 and it seems DC is actually trying to correct them while marvel gained more attention by releasing a comic about a Nazi using right wing ideas to get people to do suicide bombings (Just like ISIS but AMERICAN) and cap being a member of hydra, Spencer is no even being subtle.

I try to filter them but some still slip through the cracks!

>Suicide squad comes out

Tbh x-user, I think that movie will be the next DKR for all the meme potential it has.

>Red Skull is using Xavier's brain
I wonder how many people remembered this.

I want to believe it won't be as bad. Quality wise, that is, not meme wise. Memes and DC just go hand in hand, it can't be helped.

OK, this one made me chuckle
twitter.com/UOJim/status/735669823011717120

Oh shit, I still have my Wizard issues

I never understood the point of characters like Karma who can do only 1 thing of the many things telepaths can do.
I like her, but I think she definitely needs a buff like Angel when they made him Archangel.

Also lets not forget MARVEL NOW!2.0 that will come out in fall, I am not american Soo i will guess that fall means September and October, I guess we will find out about death of X next month.

I think Bendis just really had it out for Hank when he was writing Uncanny and All-New. He killed two Hanks and the very first page of All-New X-Men was Hank having a heart attack.

>give Cap false memories

It wouldn't even be the first time. When I read the Roger Stern/John Byrne run the first issue is pretty much dedicated to retconning at retcon by using false memories and then I think Dragon Man shows up

That was so silly, couldn't they at least come up with a new name for their relaunches? Was Marvel NOW really that memorable?

Fucking Bendis.

>Was Marvel NOW really that memorable?

I like the way JSA storytimer put it

> Remember that time when you guys were buying a ton of Hawkeye trades?

To follow up on this, I think Hickman wasn't kidding when he said Bendis got pissy because he couldn't get Beast's ape form back.

So are Viper and Silver Samurai fucking or BFFs or what?

Oh fucking hell, don't even remind me of Hawkguy. Now that's one way to ruin a character.

I think it's nice to have limited power sets. It would be kind of boring if you had too many super powerful telepaths. Xavier, Jean, Betsy, Quentin, Emma, and Rachel are enough.

I'm sure I missed a few

It gave us that parody with the High Evolutionary which unknowingly predicted the Axis event.