Why did Starfleet security stop wearing body armor?

And don't say weapons became deadlier or whatever because armor can be modified and improved, same as weapons.

Wearing armor is always be better than not, especially given how often people in Star Trek end up resorting to hand-to-hand combat.

budget cuts

Armor will always lag behind weapons. Specially personal armor.

I guess the aswer is in your pic

Why are Enterprise security all left handed? Makes you think.

Training became so advanced that combat could be quickly analysed and security could adapt accordingly. Using the best cover and act decisively. Using armour is relying on redundancy.

Because, because, well, Look at that picture dawg. Just look at that picture. Damn, they're goofy looking.

All correct answers

Anyway that stupid as fuck armor was made for the first movie. When nicholas meyer directed 2 and 5 he removed the helmets to make it look reasonable while still saving money.

what i want to know is what does starfleet hope to accomplish by redesigning the uniforms every few years?

Same reason they never wear a space suit or any protection when beaming down to an unknown planet with possibly unknown airborne bacteria.

The probably also figured wearing a leather headcap and a child-sized leather laser tag chest pad probably wasn't doing much.

Merchandise.

In universe: They replicate their clothes, so no reason to keep it the same way when with a push of a button you can have new
Real life: every age have a different idea how the future will look

Partially because Rodenberry was a serious hippie, and he hated how 'militaristic' Starfleet sometimes seemed in TOS. The 'comfy lounge bridge' in TNG was to differentiate the Enterprise from a military vessel, and it's the same thing with the electric razor-shaped phasers.

And partially because making body armour props that look futuristic without obstructing actors and stunt doubles' movements is pretty damn expensive.

Here's your (you), ya fucking retard.

both are shit reasons

Blue and yellow uniforms are definitely the best

To make it more difficult to pretend to be Starfleet

>Wearing armor is always be better than not
hello retard

Their uniforms themselves provide the same sort of protection as moden armor, they aren't made of modern cloth materials. However, like modern armor, it probably isn't going to save you from a direct hit by a high-powered weapon. The real question is why don't they all have portable shield generators?

What a fag

Type 2-1 and 3-1 are the most gangster phasers

>The real question is why don't they all have portable shield generators?
They must be pretty high tech, I can't find a source at the moment but I'm sure they said they only had a few thousand of them on Earth in Homefront or Paradise Lost, and their application on standard Starfleet missions would be limited, best kept back for Starfleet Security or soldiers going to the front lines or on black ops.

But why? Why not just replicate more

Not everything can be replicated

I always assumed those references were to something like a portable barricade, for fortifying a room or firing line. Then again, Starfleet's been fighting the Borg for long enough, you'd hope they'd have at least some idea of how to shield a moving person.

Replication is just rearranging matter and portable shields might need rare exotic elements. I can also imagine there being clearance restrictions on who's allowed to replicate things like military tech (like in Eclipse Phase).

Because the body armor looks like some retarded 1920s American football shit.

future armor is a leather boxing cap and vest?

>And don't say weapons became deadlier or whatever because armor can be modified and improved,
Phasers set to kill can disintegrate nearly everything. Armor means shit compared to that.

Shows what you know. Those TNG security uniforms are made of a polynarium weave, designed to absorb a variety of energy based weapons.

I feel like personal shield generators would have become a thing.

Have a chat to these guys, they've got some great product to sell you.

It has no basis in reality at all!

Latinum-plated transistors.