Daily Cannes thread

Good Time seems to have great review, it might be another serious contender for the palme.

Critics polls :
cannes-rurban.rhcloud.com/index.pl/2017
todaslascriticas.com.ar/cannes/2017
jury.critic.de/cannes/

Livestream :
English
youtube.com/watch?v=4J9cPI9u-eM
French
youtube.com/watch?v=8vSnRbTTvIw

Well apparently everything else was disappointing, so it might win just because of that. Although it's not exactly a typical Palme winner. Honestly it'll probably be 120BPM or Loveless.

PALME D'OR
120 Beats per Minute

GRAND PRIX
The Day After

JURY PRIZE
Wonderstruck

BEST ACTOR
Robert Pattinson, Good Time

BEST ACTRESS
Nicole Kidman, Kirsten Dunst & Elle Fanning, The Beguiled

BEST DIRECTOR
Yorgos Lanthimos, The Killing of a Sacred Deer

BEST SCREENPLAY
The Square

No way Yorgos is getting anything. The french shit all over that movie.

sounds like a shitty competition all things considered

You're telling me that in the year of a jury that features Park Chan-Wook, Paolo Sorrentino and Pedro Almodovar as President, a weird, twisted, fucked-up nightmare of a film won't win anything at all? I almost want to say it'll win the fucking Palme.

GIVE IT TO HANEKE

THOSE WHITE EUROPEANS MUST LEARN THEIR DAYS ARE OVER

Sounds pretty accurate desu

>Good Time
31 votes

nope

It's going to be either Loveless or 120 BPM

I still have hope for L'amant double, based Ozon will save this year.

What's your favourite movie from last year lads?

take a look at this lost Sup Forums pleb

pic related. idk if it was a Cannes but it did the majority of the festival circuit. Really nice film.

It's so fucking hard to follow cannes when their movies have such a limited outlet, and by the time you can torrent them, they seem outdated or forgotten completely.

Just live in France bro, I've already seen two Cannes movie and plan on seeing a third one tomorrow.

the majority of the films do the circuit, where do you live user? you must have a decent festival near you? if not then you will never be a true kino connoisseur

I'm a balkannigger

I'm in the UK and the Red Turtle is opening in cinemas this week. It's nice but the movie is from last year competition.

Yourr most notorious export is A Serbian Film. Redpill me on some Balkan directors that don't make faux-snuff

that was at LFF last year, you should really get yourself down there its pretty fun.

That's what Netflix wants to change and why everybody got buttblasted about it

I was thinking to go this year, but missed the most good movies and the rest were like 25£ per ticket. Miss the good old Leeds Film Fest, most of the movies were like 8£

>I still have hope for L'amant double, based Ozon will save this year.

Ozon is getting trashed like everytime he's in Cannes.
He's the biggest hack in french cinema

did Frantz go to Cannes? i really liked that film.

Ozon is one of the few french filmmakers that isn't genuinely insufferable

The guy isn't top notch, but he's quite consistent, why do you hate him?

The thing is Netflix won't produce Cannes material every year and even if they did next year the new rule says a film must have a theatrical release in France to compete. Netflix won't change anything concerning the movie business in France

this
Ozon, Mia Hansen-Love, and Assayas are 3 of the best frenchies around atm.

Well that's it I'm out of here.

Real talk: Do people even watch "artistic" movies? Like I know tv shows nowadays are like basically 1 hour long movies i dont know if theres much more for their entertainment considering everything. I wanna think I am missing something but , these movies generally get like 200k per release at best (and because the ticket is really expensive this will translate to around 10k people) your obscure run of the mill youtuber makes more than this per month. I dont disaprove them but surely on surface level there seems to be no point in making these movies...the whole event seems built upon publicity more than anything else but maybe im being a little too shady and there's more than meet the eye.

it just shows the pretty average quality of french cinema rn though.

i don't wana do all the prizes but palm dor for 120 is my prediction atm as well

still missing a few of the big ones like toni erdmann and Elle but current top 3 are

American Honey
Everybody Wants Some
and then probably Moonlight desu

Did they say Lynch was gonna be on at 18.45?

>3 actresses sharing best actress
wut?

I would share my "prize" among the three of them, if you know what I mean

your 5 inch prize?

From Cannes? The Handmaiden

In general, top 3:
Silence
OJ: Made in America
Sing Street
nice

Reminder the Paris catacombs film society runs Cannes

Silence is a good shout, i think that will go down as one of marty's strongest. I'm reluctant to count something like OJ: Made in America as a film although I know a lot of critics did, it was a decent show though. Sing Street was a pleasent surprise for sure but don't think it's really up there among the higher calibre films of 2016.

t. top 3 poster from above

>couscous
sandniggers detected

bump

What is this haircut called?

OJ: Made in America (if that counts)
20th Century Women
Manchester by the Sea

Oh and The Lobster

YOU JUST KNOW

Manchester by the Sea
Your Name
The Handmaiden

>dat milky skin

>Someone named Bogdanoff interviewed

Thought they were just memes?

One mans artsy fartsy movie is a future mans Oscar Winner so yes pretty much. Do Americans really watch random French arthouse? Not really.

lol Kidman is doing that thing where you smell the babies head and absorb its new baby smell freshness into your DNA and it makes you have another day of youth.

L Y N C H
Y
N
C
H

Happy to see Good Time getting good reviews. Not gonna win the Palme tho. Pattinson might win best actor, which would be strange.

>Good Time seems to have great review, it might be another serious contender for the palme.
Was not expecting that at all. Can't wait to see it.

1. Arrival
2. Hell or High Water
3. The Witch
4. Born to be Blue
5. Green Room

no pedo but boy, white women sure start to go downhill after age 16 huh. Elle looks like she's 10 years older here than she was in 20th century women and neon meme

literally everywhere but the US the film industry is primarily funded from government art gibs so profits don't really matter. it's just industry insiders giving their friends and family members jobs paid by tax money especially now that aspiring filmmakers with no connections will just shit up youtube instead of trying to kiss ass for decades to get a job in the film industry

The Handmaiden
Paterson
Manchester by the Sea

Last year was so fucking good for movies, and this year has been so shit so far.

Elle
Manchester by the Sea
Carol

>and this year has been so shit so far.

it's time to renounce feature films and embrace telekino as our savior and supreme art form of our generation. Young Pope, Taboo, Fargo, The Leftovers, Americans etc. How can films possibly compete?

Besides The Leftovers, everything you've just listed is like 7/10 or below.

Is the Leftovers this good? People on this board really seem to like it

it's basically a second attempt at LOST, this time without going full retard. and if you're a real oldfag you should remember that even LOST was beloved on early Sup Forums

It's the best HBO show since Six Feet Under.

i don't like lindelof and didn't care much for lost but yeh it's a really good show

Are you kidding? The Young Pope is one of the best shows to come along in years. Easy 9/10.

>the one show he likes is the latest Damon Lindelof abortion

how to spot a pleb

Literally it's the one thing that he's made that I actually like at all.

Childhood is when you blame Lindelof for every project he participated in. Adulthood is when you realize he a gud boy who dindu nuffin wrong. I mean speaking of abortions, can you honestly blame him for Prometheus after seeing Alien Covenant?

Watch Heaven Knows What, really good movie.

i only see the young pope as being high art.