How is it that the Japanese are getting right what Americans lost touch with long ago?

How is it that the Japanese are getting right what Americans lost touch with long ago?
It doesn't really make any sense.
Has America lost its Heroic Heart?

>he hasn't read Rebirth

Sup Forums-kun pls

It's one writer that has been planning this manga for years for his own characters and brand compared to marvel writers that continuously recycle characters and have little prep time.

blame the movies. grimdark is in

weirdly goes both ways. america's getting the nuance and naughtiness and not-talk-down-to-its-childrenness japan used to have, and japan's getting the heroic righteousness we used to have. fuck, it's incomplete without both!

Rebirth looks to fix that. Though I would say it won't be long before MHA goes grim dark, given the authors last work had a girl being beat and tortured as comedy.

>america's getting the nuance and naughtiness and not-talk-down-to-its-childrenness japan used to have
Have you seen our cartoons lately? Have you seen marvel's women-child comic they have been making? How about DC's stuff? Come on now those are not nuanced.

This. You can't expect corporate dogpile comics to be worth anything.

That said BHA isn't good either.

>I don't read comics
>I only go off of what I've heard on the internet
There are less idiotic ways of trying to have a BnHA thread, OP.

Are there really?
And I've been skimming a few story times, but what would you suggest in a comic that would tickle my sub-cockle region like BnHA does on a regular basis?

Marvel knowingly parodies its own stupidity.

>america's getting the nuance and naughtiness and not-talk-down-to-its-childrenness japan used to have

wat

Events and more events. You tell me where it went wrong.

what is he talking about

>one-pump man

What anime?

When? Where?

Don't trust me on this one, but I think its azazel-san.

>How is it that the Japanese are getting right what Americans lost touch with long ago?

Based on what, one or two flavor of the month manga series? Mugga, please.

The bomb is the most American thing ever, and we gave the Japs TWO of them.

Y'know I was thinking about that earlier today.
Poor fucking Japan. Not only are they alone in being the only Nation to ever get nuked, it happened twice.

>the japanese
That's just like one guy, sempai faggot-kun

Talking japanese heroes, how are we enjoying Kamen Rider Amazons?

There is no jews in Japan.

Where the hell are you finding this in modern cartoons and can you point me to that dirrection?

In any case, it's good that Japan is picking up America's slack and making decent animated superhero series

It is.

Because the Japanese example you posted is one in a diamond dozen. And America has not lost its "Heroic heart", all they done is move forward.

If it really is a diamond dozen then I won't take it for granite. It's hard to find material like this in this doggy dog world, so I guess I take that as a constellation prize.

>move forward
Then why does it feel so backwards?

>all they done is move forward

In what direction?

Because you turned your back on Freedom.
I'm not being serious, I just wanted to get in on this bond one-liner back and forth.

PokeVengers was better than any current hero toon

Not gonna lie, I'd buy a Spider-storm comic.

>How is it that the Japanese are getting right what Americans lost touch with long ago?

Marvel is trolls. DC is trying to fight declining sales. In neither case do people want good guys.

>boku no hero academia
>highschool
>teenagers

the one ep with deadpool and cap destroying the monolith was 10/10

does my hero weebamania have recurring villains, an overall plot?

or is it just Naruto with super heroes, i feel like its not super heroes either, probably some soul eater shtick

>my hero weebamania have recurring villains
yes
>an overall plot
yes
>just Naruto with super heroes
???
>not super heroes either
incorrect

It (I feel deliberately) subverted Naruto hard recently. It has super heroes, plot, recurring villains.

I knew people were gonna hate this shit once the anime aired - I haven't watched it - but the manga is great. It reminds me so much of stuff like the X-Men and how I wish the young X-Men stuff could be handled. It does great character development, even alongside its action scenes. Superheroics aren't portrayed as solely 'I fight you, you fight me' either. It's just a really nice superhero comic.

good night sweet prince

This is the end...

>Watch the first two episodes and decide it's charming enough and give it a go
>By episode 3 it becomes apparent it's just gonna be as generic as possible

>watching the anime over reading the manga
>ever
Bet you're a moviefag too.

I'd attribute it to Japans Superhero traditions being largely untouched by the 'grimdark' fad of the 90's. Japanese television (not anime, television) seems to have this weird thing where it grinds on, producing season after season of similar subject matter. Seemingly untouched by outside influence. That's why we've got 60+ years of super-sentai and kamen rider. I feel like that went a long way towards preserving the bones of the superhero genre for series like Hero Academia, Flamenco, and OPM.

There's also the significant differences in the way properties are published, and even created in each country. I think Japan's system allows for the stand outs to really break into other media more quickly and efficiently.

>It's just a really nice superhero comic.

I've been quite enjoying the anime so far.
It's a nice light-hearted superhero series; good mix of humor, badass moments, and character development. Besides, it's not like the West is producing any superhero cartoons worth watching ATM

>before a die, a last 100% fap.

>I'd attribute it to Japans Superhero traditions being largely untouched by the 'grimdark' fad of the 90's
Kind of bullshit thought because characters in MHA like Stain are directly referencing that.

>Spider-storm
>not Thing Jr.

pleb desu

I'd chalk it to a lack of what preceded 90's grimdark, more than 90's grimdark itself. They didn't have the Comics Code, or the entire era where comic books weren't allowed to be more than harmless fluff, and thus no desire to subvert that turning into ALL THE EDGY
And also the REALLY edgy stuff tended to go poorly. Remember KR Amazon? Mortal Kombat tier of hilarity, and also the one KR series that got cut short. Shin didn't fare much better.

nah, I think the main difference is working on a finite number of arcs, with the same writer from start to finish, that actually owns his characters.

Grimdark was a fad in Japan during the 80s and 90s, it was mostly limited to sci-fi and horror OVAs though, rather than meshing with mainstream tv shounen stuff.

This. That's the real problem with Western comics. They don't END.
Even long-runners like One Piece have a set goal in mind, and even though its been going on nearly 20 years, everything is still building to that end. As such, even crazy seemingly-unconnected adventures feel like they have a purpose in the grand scheme.
You just don't get that with western comics.

True. Doesn't help that since OVAs are mostly three to six episodes, most of that grimdark stuff ended up being underdeveloped and really, really stupid.
But fun to watch.

I'm not really suggesting that Japanese creators are culturally unaware of American fads. I'm more trying to say that the 90's shift in American comics to try and 'be like Watchmen' or 'be like TDK' didn't impact Japanese creators the way that mindset did the American market. Besides 90's edge is essentially part of comic history now, so anything referencing it blatantly, eastern or western, can be considered omage/parody.

Also, I'm not suggesting that Japan never dips it's toe into the grimdark pool where superheros are concerned. But again, because of there publishing model, we only really notice what rises to the top.

they are aware of it but didn't experience it firsthand. all their grimdark stuff went into shonen fightan anime like SOA and giant robot anime

you joke but I honestly a large part of how Japan approches it's comics industry comes from their attitude thowards the "atomic age".

They realize superhero are for children so they don't try to make them serious. If they want to make serious stuff they choose other genres.

comics must be in a really bad shape if you guys jere on Sup Forums eat up a shitty battle shonen with heroes as the twist.
so far the only and i mean ONLY good manga with super heroes is onepunch man,everything else is generic battle shonen or some other generic thing

>reads neither comics nor manga
>hurr I am better than all this site together listen to muh truth
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You don't know by half

>Even long-runners like One Piece have a set goal in mind
hasn't the author explicitly stated he has no idea what the One Piece is and doesn't care to figure it out?

I think saying that MHA is the way it is because Japan didn't have a grimdark fad in the 90s (it's had that kind of content around for much longer than that) is just inaccurate. MHA is clearly written with an eye to the history of Western comics: the characters and their designs are representative of that.

Like is some bullshit. Japan had nothing edgy in the 90s? They had Ghost in the Shell, Battle Angel Alita, Blade of the Immortal, Violence Jack, Dragon Head. They didn't have the similarities of design (massively overmuscled guys, all the guns, all the swords, all the pouches) but storywise they had the elements that dominated Western comics and, importantly, they had already had them for years. When did Devilman hit? The 70s?

Thing Jr looks like it would be fun to be honest

>it's a "I am too cool to like western stuff so I love asian stuff more!" thread

almost as bad as people praising modern asian cinema on Sup Forums just to be different

oh is that your defence?
i read comics and manga but more manga cause i read mostly monthly comics.
i know what manga is good and what is not,you clearly seem to never read manga so you are eating a shit series like academia up like its the next best thing,i mean come on,the anime is a complete and utter flop in both ratings and sales.
neither did it get much of a boost for the manga.
this manga turned into another toriko

You're just as completely fucking retarded as the people that put their dog on Marvel or DC. It's not a dichotomy. It's not a competition. You can like both - you should like both, because both do good things and often they do it in different ways.

>i read comics and manga
you admitted you don't here
>comics must be in a really bad shape if
backpedal = game over you lying piece of self important shit.

>My tastes are objective, yours are subjective
>It's important to me you don't like this
>I won't be specific in my criticisms or mention what I do actually like though
I'm not that user, but kindly shut down both your computer and your life.

>look at how enlightned I am

Excuse me, retard, where did I say I only like one or another? I was making fun of people that prefer one over the other for petty reasons but I guess you felt the need to feel superior in your pathetic life or lack reading comprehension

>i know what manga is good and what is not
Name some of the best ongoing shouen then.

Last I heard (a few months back) he said the series was 75% finished.

3 words.

Tokyo Movie Shinsha; I do fear for them however if the staff would to retire due to working since the 70s and I do not want them to die out on Blue Jacket, they deserve better then that.

More.

actually you misunderstand that one.
i was curious ow you guys eat up shit like academia like its the next best thing so said comics must be in a bad shape,no one corrected me

dude shonen,well,most of it sucks ass
only exception is hunter x hunter and the rest of shonen is shit

I don't understand what you're trying to say

about one piece,the author said two years ago that he can still write it for atleast 10 more years

Bruce Timm says hi.

>hunter x hunter
Thanks for confirming your shit taste.

In my opinion the anime vastly improved on the manga, especially in terms of pacing
After watching it I went back and reread some of the early chapters, my god it's a blatant upgrade

well well well,what do we have here?
a guy who thinks boku no shit academia is better than hunter x hunter,never thought id see such horrendously shit taste,

He said he could if he wanted to, by showing a lot more side stuff, but as of late his health has been failing
his editors are basically forcing him to A) take a week off once a month so he doesn't work himself into an actual grave and B) hurry the fuck up so he doesn't die before he finishes
But basically if he wanted to he could stretch the story out forever just by showing a lot more of the world and doing more side material, the world of One Piece is incredibly big and lively and the dude seems to have an endless stock of side characters

What? What American cartoons are you talking about?
And maybe I watch edgy anime but I haven't noticed that at all with anime either.

Boku no Hero Academia is still just your average shonen jump shit. Look, I love it, I've been following manga for a long time, but it does things pretty by the book and only thing it has over American capeshit is that it's 100% owner created and he gets to do with character what status QUO prevents American writers to do with their characters. And characters that aren't big name brands with movies behind them aren't selling.

Honestly, BnHA has fucking nothing on the best things American capeshit has to offer (Spider-man's Gauntlet; Daredevil's Born Again, actually, scratch that, Daredevil's volume 2; Garth Ennis' Punisher; Buseik's Thunderbolts; Claremont's X-men)

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

PLEASE GOD, NO!

if hunter x hunter is so good, why does no one ever talk about anything other than the chimera ant arc?

because from the way fans talk about hunterXhunter it sounds like there's only one good arc in the whole thing and everything else is too mediocre to bother discussing

That is exceptional.

>If One Punch Man is so good, why does no one ever talk about anything other then that one episode that had animation done by Hiroyuki Aoyama.

2 can play this game.

I don't think anyone is saying BnHA is on the level of Born Again. But it's definitely not on the same level as your average shonen - which is like Bleach, Naruto, Toriko, Magi etc?

obvious Sup Forums fag

>1 panel from digital comic no one reads
>vs entire Azz run and hopefully upcoming Rucka run
Faggot

Actually some people like comcis from Japan and America
And not reading a medium that is literally used to teach children with learning disabilities to read is unbelievable

This is so fucking true

If everyone loves it

It gets no discussion except during the release of said episode or chapter release

My best example to this would be Chew

Sup Forums never talks about it unless the new issue comes out

>Sup Forums never talks about [Chew] unless the new issue comes out
But it has been seldom storytimed recently.

I miss Heroman.

I think it's because when the final issues come out it's going to get marathoned in the end

It's superlative. Some of the other arcs are really good, actually. There is not another arc in that manga or show that is as good.

The first Arc, about the examination starts sort of slowly, and the first episode is about catching a big fish so Gon's Aunt will let him go take the exam. (She hopes that somehow, he won't be able to. Which is ridiculous for anyone who raised him to say given how tenacious he is.)

Yorknew with the Phantom Troupe, is great, and in the anime, they have a delicious theme too.

Greed Island is pretty great, and is like Yu-Gioh, but with more theft, and murder, and a villain who violently dismembers people with bombs. The fight versus him is extremely entertaining because it foreshadows later fights, and continues the trend of Gon being totally stubborn. The Dodgeball match is also Serious Business, and pretty hype.

It's just that the Ant Arc asks interesting questions, and has neat fights, and characterization and development for seemingly unlikely opponents. (He looks like a bug! he must be evil! Maybe he is kind of evil! but he cares about stuff!)

>that finger thing
Cute.

>Preferring the anime

Nah. Way too much crying and yelling, and time devoted to both of those things. It also, to me, feels kind of empty in comparison. I don't know why. Maybe because I like the characters much more in the manga, in the anime I'm pretty lukewarm about everyone, especially the MC.