The problem with DC in the films is that they are completely defined by the Marvel movies...

The problem with DC in the films is that they are completely defined by the Marvel movies, a shadow that is incredibly difficult to move out from.

The Marvel cinematic universe has essentially written the playbook on how to write a blockbuster film. Make a standard action-fare film, cast incredibly likeable actors and have the interplay between them and others to be one of banter. Throw in a few jokes and some sort of tie in or lead up to another film, rinse and repeat.

Which is not to say all Marvel films are in any way good, but there's a uniformity of tone in that if you enjoy one, you'll probably enjoy them all albeit to different degrees.

DC's issue is that they will forever be judged not just as films, but against the Marvel films to a degree that doesn't happen in other genres. A comedy film that comes out isn't expected to be funnier than the most successful comedy of all time, other wise its shit. It can stand on its own for the most part.

DC therefore have the problem of having to make something distinct from Marvel. Marvel have the monopoly on the action balanced with levity of interplay, if DC do that, they're seen as aping what many could and would describe as a superior version.

Whether you like the Marvel films or not, the fact that they are one of, if not the most successful film franchises of all time. DC trying to create the same is a tall order made harder by the inevitable constant expectation they are expected to live up to.

And no I'm no Marveldrone or DCuck. The company war was started by tongue in cheek jibes by Stan Lee in the letters pages of the comics, a man who played golf with the DC people at the weekend. It was never supposed to be serious and if you in any way treat it as such you're a fucking moron. If you like it, read/watch it, if you don't, don't.

Other urls found in this thread:

io9.gizmodo.com/a-brief-history-of-zack-snyder-defending-the-end-of-man-1763888746
empireonline.com/movies/features/batman-v-superman-zack-snyder-10-things/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The problem with DC movies is Zack Snyder.

/thread

Fucking seriously, OP.

The problem with the DC films is that they are fucking terrible, and that's largely due to who's making them.

It's fucking pathetic to blame everything on Marvel.

How about DC tries making actually good movies first?

Oh Zack Snyder is certainly a problem, but I feel DC have a mountain to climb in adapting their franchises on top of the already existing one that all films have in the form of the ever present supposed "gold standard" that is the MCU

But OP is saying that DC was forced to take Synder to create a unique look and feel to the DCEU that is in direct opposition to the the MCU because if they didn't, they'd seem like a cheap knockoff.

You're looking at the symptoms, not the disease itself.

Besides, Snyder isn't what was wrong with the movie. It looked fine.
That's the director's primary job, and he did it well.

The issue was the piss poor writing. All the complaints you have about the movie can be traced down to the writing.
And who wrote it?
A total noob who adapted Argo (which had so many problems), and fucking Goyer.

The writers never get enough credit for a good movie nor enough hate for a bad one.

>new Marvel movie

I wonder if this will finally be the bad one.

>new DC movie

I wonder if this will finally be the good one.
Seriously OP, fucking nailed it. They weren't doing so bad with the Nolan films. What the fuck do you think changed?

>it's a "it's not our fault these movies suck, it's everyone else's fault" episode

>Snyder is bad
not a fan of this meme tbqh

Nolan's Batman films were smash critical and commercial successes. Knock this whining bullshit off.

Squirrel Girl
Gwenpool

What comic or cartoon is this thread about?

>Nolan's Batman films were smash critical
Well, except for the last one.
They phoned that one the fuck it

Calling something a "meme" doesn't make it less true, user.

Snyder is shit. He's always been shit. Everything he has every produced is shit. Snyder is a major problem with the DCEU.

The Nolan films were written and made before Avengers came out and changed the game though.

Their biggest contemporary point of comparison was probably the Rami Spider-Man movies, and the third one of those soured the perception a little

You say that as if DC movies weren't already shitty aside from the notable exception of the Nolan movies, and that if they were to get rid of Snyder and his hack directing, everything would be fine. I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but that's just not true. They could get someone completely different for their movies, and it still would probably be someone shitty, and come out bad, because these are the people that keep giving Snyder a job in the first place. Don't believe me? Just look at the people they got for Wonder Woman. They got the cinematographer from Fant4stic and the writer of Pan, for God's sake.

Man of Steel was an 8.5/10 for me, Dawn of Justice a 10/10.

Why did they pick Snyder for MoS and BvS?
Because he was the total opposite to Marvel's style.
If it wasn't him, it'd be someone else to make grey and gritty movies.

see

It's just a way of blaming the incompetence of a studio for producing good movies to Marvel.

Just make good movies.

Fantastic was a fine to good looking movie though.

Snyder is a mess.
Snyder is a waste.

No it wasn't. It had some of the blandest, ugliest framing I've ever seen in a cape flick.

Director also tends to have a big hand in shit like editing, sound direction, scoring, choreography, casting the actors and DIRECTING them, etc. Even if they didn't write it, it's very much their films. And while I never saw Batman vs Superman, I have seen Man of Steel and holy crap is Zach's direction laying it on think. Everything tries to be moving and "epic" by giving everything a very inspiration-sounding score and everything moment of pathos and achievement just ends up feeling forced with no proper buildup. Excess is the only thing Snyder knows how to do.

I find that films are rarely cases of "amazing directing, shitty script." "Prometheus", directed by Ridley Scott and written by some jackoff who worked on Lost, is a rare example of this. Even terrible scripts can be saved with good directing. The Star Wars prequels could have very well been great movies if they were more competently directed.

First post best post as usual

Where does Fox fit in this?

shoo

No. The problem with the DC films is that they are bad movies.

I'm down for a dark Superhero story if it's well written. I'm interested in an elseworlds grim Batman if the movie earns that by showing respect for the character's core concepts. I'm ok with a grimdark Superman IF WE COULD GET ONE FUCKING GOOD MOVIE FIRST WHERE THEY DIDN'T PULL THAT SAME TIRED SHIT YET AGAIN INSTEAD OF HIRING SOMEONE WHO CAN WRITE SUPERMAN. Goddamn.

Look just give me a fun movie where the characters I know and love interact in a compelling narrative that is concluded in a satisfying manner due to the resolution of character arcs within a two hour runtime. Is that so difficult? How big was your budget again? How many unknown artists die in obscurity? Fuck you for wasting our time.

The Mouse can suck my cock. I WANT to like your movies DC. Stop shitting the bed.

Snyder is a big, fat mistake.

Hey, another meme!

Do you even have the ability to write your own words?

But that's just it: DCU isn't living in MCU's shadow. They're living in Nolan Batman's shadow. They're trying to capture that gritty style of the films that made a shitton of money, and failing.

No, that honor goes to the first Avengers movie.

But GL was basically a cheap knock off and no one said it was shitty cause it was a knock off. They said it was shitty because it was a shitty film

You need to stop creating victim complexes and "explanations" for why DC is fucking up and just face the facts that they are just fucking up, no outside help needed

>The writers never get enough credit for a good movie nor enough hate for a bad one.

While I completely agree with this statement, they don't shoulder all of the blame.

Look at Jesse Eisenbergs Lex Luthor. Go get a copy of the script for a scene and read it in Clancy Brown's voice. It doesn't make the lines any better or worse, but the delivery can change everything in regards to how a character appears on screen.

There's a reason why people say that the scene on the rooftop with him threatening Superman is the only bit of the film that seems remotely Lex Luthor. Its because his delivery changes from being one of weirdly whimsical to that of a smug prick who has someone they despise backed into a corner. Its still not played brilliantly, but its far more Lex Luthor.

I don't know what to tell you man. You can already see it in the footage they've released for Wonder Woman. Those bland, shitty Fant4stick visuals again, except this time, they're trying to be a dime-store Larry Fong too. I had high hopes for that movie until I saw that footage.

They picked him cause out of the pool of directors they had (which included pitches from Duncan Jones, the guy that did Cloverfield, and the guy that did Bay's TMNT), Snyder's was the closest to a Superman movie for WB

Nope.

On MoS:

>Here’s what Snyder said in 2013 about Superman killing Zod:

>In the original version of the script, he just got zapped into the Phantom Zone. David [S. Goyer] and I had long talked about it, and Chris [Nolan] and I talked long about it. And I was like, “I really think he should kill Zod, and I really feel like Superman should kill him.”

>This account is backed up by Goyer, who, in the same podcast, said that Nolan told them there was no way they could have that ending. He flat out told them not to write it. Goyer added that they talked to people at DC who told them “No way. No way.” Which Goyer and Snyder apparently didn’t see as a logical reading of the character, and more of a challenge to find the one situation where Superman would kill. Snyder said, later in the Empire podcast, “I just felt like we were able to create this scenario where either Superman is going to see these people get chopped in half or he’s gotta do what he’s gotta do.”

io9.gizmodo.com/a-brief-history-of-zack-snyder-defending-the-end-of-man-1763888746

The difference between something being authentically "epic and inspiring" and only have the appearance of that is ultimately down to what happens.
And what happens depends on the writers.

Yes, the director is important, but the writers decide what story to tell.

It's like in a comic book, you give credit to the writer if it's good or bad. Not the artist.

A big complaint about MoS was that Superman seemed so indifferent to the destruction around him. While the director could have told the actor to look pained or what have you, the people who decided what should happen (i.e. not go out of his way to explicitly reduce collateral damage), are the writers.

I think Snyder can be fine when giving a good script.
300, I think, is a movie that really makes it work with Snyder's "epic and inspiring" aspirations.

The problem is they followed in the footsteps of Marvel's biggest missteps. They pulled an Age of Ultron and shot a three or four hour film and attempted to cut it down. They did an Iron Man 2 and spent too much time in the main movie trying to set up future movies. And they failed like Thor 2 in that they really didn't know what they wanted to do with the characters and had too many ideas tossed in and out until the end result was just a bland mess.

Also, WB hates superheroes and thinks it can fix all its problems by adding more Batman.

>The problem with the DC films is that they are bad movies.

Nah they're pretty good.

On BvS:

>Zack Snyder was always aiming for a Batman/Superman showdown akin to the famous De Niro/Pacino restaurant scene in Michael Mann’s Heat. “That was my mantra,” he says. “I kept saying: ‘we need the Heat scene, we need the Heat scene’. But I came to the conclusion that they couldn't really talk in their suits with any credibility. We had to get them back in their civvies.” The scene where Clark and Bruce meet at Lex’s party, dressed in non-superhero clothes, was thus conceived.

>It was, says Snyder, an issue of tone - marrying the dark approach of DC’s burgeoning cinematic universe with its somewhat camper comic origins. “When they're in their super-suits, it was impossible [to get the Heat scene]. We tried it. It was just one of those things. If there are more than four or five lines, you start to notice – wait, these are two guys dressed up! One guy's dressed up like a bat and the other one has a big red ‘S’ on his chest, and it reads super serious...”

empireonline.com/movies/features/batman-v-superman-zack-snyder-10-things/

It's all Snyder. Everything people hated about these movies was Snyder, though Goyer obviously didn't help.

>Fantastic was a fine to good looking movie though.
Oh my god, how desperate are you right now?

It's not even a DC movie, you don't have to pretend it had some good aspects to it. That movie looks terrible. Do I need to bring up the Baxter Building's shit CGI or the disappearing tank?

This is a shill thread.

>A big complaint about MoS was that Superman seemed so indifferent to the destruction around him. While the director could have told the actor to look pained or what have you, the people who decided what should happen (i.e. not go out of his way to explicitly reduce collateral damage), are the writers.

Nope, wrong.

See

>sprcial effects
>anything to do with the DP
wew lad

But Nolan's style is nothing like Snyder's.
Nolan was all about "realism" and washed out colours.
Snyder cares a lot less about appearing real and loves his over saturated colour scheme

Sup Forums can't really be this dumb, right? OP, the problem isn't that their living in Marvel's shadow. It's true that they're more successful but it doesn't dictate what people like. The problem is literally Zack Snyder. There are only two movies out from the DCEU so far and they're both made by that hack.
>B-But Marvel made it so people can only like quips and funny cape movies!!
No, they can't brainwash people. Audiences have love dark movies before and nothing but bad writing is stopping them from loving another dark movie. If the movie is good, people will LIKE it. If the movie is shit, people will HATE it.

TL;DR: At least wait until DC has a movie not made by Zack Snyder before you start calling them trash.

Good one, user.

DC's biggest problem is terrible producers, directors, cast, and script.

Their cg work and fight choreography is terrible too but if all the above was good it wouldn't matter.,

>

So you agree with him?

>>B-But Marvel made it so people can only like quips and funny cape movies!!
That's not what he's saying at all.
He's not saying that audiences only want Marvel movies, he's saying that DC was forced into a dark and gritty tone by Marvel's levity.

If you make the two movies universes too similar, then both will make less than if they were different.

In order for maximum profit, DC chose to make their cinematic universe different in styling than the MCU in order not to directly compete.

it was likely the right idea to do, but they're just fucked up the execution.

That's true. But the point is just being "dark" isn't the problem. The Dark Knight is routinely hailed as one of the best cape films ever, and made a mountain of money.

The new films do badly because they are bad.

>fight choreography is terrible
Batman_Warehouse.webm

Explain Fox movies then.

Then your opinions do not and can not every have any value or meaning, user. You're broken inside.

Cast was OK, I think
I mean Caville's a little balding, but he otherwise can act and look the part fine.

The issue is that a puppet is only as good as the one pulling the strings.

OK WB shill. You make a compelling argument.

Your stubborn refusal to hear what your audience wants is why you deserve to go bankrupt.

I know you have adopted a "Transformers" marketing strategy of encouraging us to pay for your product so we can have fun hating it, but... I'm not buying. I wont be paying money for your bad movies. I wont watch your bad movies. Stop disappointing me. You wont get my money.

You mean the cartoony fight with video game physics?

Yes, that's the best dc has to offer.

Moves made by somewhat competent filmmakers. Except Apocalypse

They're imitating the MCU style and it's working.
You can't really predict how markets will react.

DC probably wanted a bigger piece of the pie than they would get if they did the same.

Do all Marlel fans think bait like this is good?

>Cast was OK, I think
>Gadot, Momoa, Ezra Miller

Are you stupid?

>he's saying that DC was forced into a dark and gritty tone by Marvel's levity.

It's more like this, DC tried launching their cinematic universe with Green Lantern which was light but bombed hard. The Nolan Films and even the Burton films were dark and did good. They obviously thought that was their best route and took that direction. Marvel has zero blame for the tone and feel of DC movies.

>Video game physics in a film where one of the two named characters can break physics

Okay

It's a collective fuckup, Zack is just an easy face to pin it on (though he deserves the shit he gets). And you can like MoS/BvS, because there are things to like in them, just don't be fucking delusional thinking they're great films.

>baits not good
>takes bait anyway

>They're imitating the MCU style
Fox has had their own style since the 00s.

ok

But you're gonna be the one missing out on top quality content.

Que?

In what ways does it differ from the current MCU style?
Reminder that Joss "Quipster" Whedon helped write X-men 1

>They're imitating the MCU style and it's working.

It's working in what way?

Deadpool is the only example in 16 yeas.

I don't believe you.

Right, I'm sure that Marvel and their runaway success is in no way ever mentioned in meetings to decide how the next DC films are made.

Marvel are discussed in meetings outside of comic book movies. Why do you think so many other studios are desperate to recreate that shared universe magic?

First Class and DOFP made good money too.

Different user, but the funny thing is Transformers at least managed to make a lot of money.

Snyder and DC even fuck up fucking up. If you're going to make shit, at least make profitable shit. They can't even manage that.

Transformers got 5 movies out of their crap. It's uncertain at this point how long the DCEU will even last at this rate.

>First Class
>good money

No

Except the Nolan films were huge successes and highly praised (well, the last one not so much).

They had a template for making good, profitable films. They fucked that up.

Not only is this true, but Marvel also pre-emptively cucks competitors.
It's a back and forth behind the scenes war.

Remember that Cap 3 was only made into Civil War because of the announcement of BvS.
And they placed the release date on the same day that BvS was supposed to come out.

I wouldn't even be surprised if they got a script from BvS early and made the "mom" twist was better in CW than BvS. Just to twist the knife

The great thing is soon the whole world will be missing out on this "top quality content" because Snyder is busy running the DCEU into the ground!

>And they placed the release date on the same day that BvS was supposed to come out.

And made DC blink and move their shit movie like the bitches they are.

No, Disney called the date first, BvS was delayed from 2015 to the Disney date in 2016, then they back out

>In what ways does it differ from the current MCU style?
That they make team movies as their main features, and spin off solos only when they think that solo has cash-cow potential, like Wolverine, rather than taking risks on solo movies before reaping the profits with crossovers.

In addition, they've got a much stronder focus on their socio-political allegories, which the MCU only dabbles in, and are more willing to make a violent film in order to attract a more adult-male action-movie audience, rather than wide-ranging general audiences.

BvS placed its release date on the day Cap 3 had already announced.

I'd rather live in a world where DC does its own thing and Marvel does its own thing. Too much Marvel and I'd get bored, shown by how boring Civil War was.

Nolan was good at writing comedy, but not so good at everything else. There weren't many memorable moments. Sure it was profitable, but I wouldn't say it was very good.

Oh, and how do you suppose that board meeting went?
>"Hey, you guys see that very successful formula Marvel is doing? Fuck that shit! We're doing the exact opposite. Nothing can go wrong "
You think the fucking huge success from the Nolan films didn't have any play into the current direction they're taking?

>>Remember that Cap 3 was only made into Civil War because of the announcement of BvS.
That's a good thing. DC forces Marvel to step up their game. This is why DC needs to do better so they can prop each other up, not die out

>And they placed the release date on the same day that BvS was supposed to come out.
No, it was the other way around

>Marvel straight up puts their movie on the BvS day
>and DC flinches
That's how you can tell who is winning

Can you imagine the total disaster if DC didn't move BvS down?
It would have been a holocaust

Are posts like this what happens when people get caught in the business rhetoric of filmmaking?

You moron, it's not like they're both exclusive.

The meeting probably discussed how they're going to compete with Marvel.
They evidently decided to imitate their style was a bad idea and so they went with what worked with them in the past.

Hey Warner Bros, I just shat the bed this morning. Give me two hundred and fifty million dollars USD so I can do it again.

Again, other way around. WB moved BvS to the Cap 3 date, knowing that was the Cap 3 date. They basically tried to wave their IP dick around and Disney had none of it, told them to shove it, and didn't move.

Then the WB execs probably started seeing the dailies coming in and went
>fuck we made a huge mistake move this shit as far away from them as possible so we can actually recover some money from this

Imagine a situation where they're both released on the same day. Disney would have lifted their embargo a month earlier like they did, and rolled out the international release a week before. Meanwhile, WB embargoed reviews until the week off, and did a day 1 world wide release. So we're going into the weekend of the 6th with one movie having the insane hype it ended up getting, and the other one being BvS.

Fuck, even by the Wednesday when the embargo had been lifted it was already going to the shitter. Imagine A SECOND FRESH REVIEW and add in an even smaller box office number as people would have actually had to choose

>Fuck, even by the Wednesday when the embargo had been lifted it was already going to the shitter. Imagine A SECOND FRESH REVIEW and add in an even smaller box office number as people would have actually had to choose
I think there would have actually been suicides if that happened

Snyder is a big fat mistake

They're doing that and DC gets punished for it. Most of the reviews are just complaints about DC not copying Marvel's style.

I don't think you quite grasp how Marvel changed the game where Hollywood and pop culture is concerned. There's a reason why so many films and tv shows based on nerd ephemera are being produced.

Avengers is one of the most successful films of all time and it came out of left field, using a strategy of combining distinct separate films that hadn't really been done before outside of a cheep ploy of having monsters from horror movies fight each other to revive tired franchises.

And it did it using something so quintessentially nerdy that people who read comics were stereotypically seen as on par with people who play dungeons and dragons or watch Star Trek. Nerdy eternal man child social outcasts who live in their parents basement.

Yes there had been a rise in nerd culture bubbling away before this, and yes a lot of people like the Christopher Nolan films, but the Nolan films were not game changing in the way Marvel are.

You want a sign of reaction? Look at the CW. Arrow started out as a show about a vigilante in the grim gritty and realistic tone of the Nolan films. They didn't call him Green Arrow and supers were a no no. Then the Avengers came out and they wanted some of that sweet interconnected universe money and went and made the Flash and now Arrow trips over itself to embrace and reference its comic roots.

Look at Harry Potter. Its getting a spin off movie in Fantastic Beasts.

"Nerd culture" is high currency right now. We're getting a World of Warcraft movie, Star Wars is back, Star Trek is returning next year. Preacher is a series now. The list goes on.

Films debut at comicon now for fucks sake.

Now Avengers isn't 100% completely responsible for all these things happening, as I said there was an undercurrent of nerd culture rising, but a film in a genre that has a fairly substantial fan following became one of the most successful films of all time, and it legitimised so called nerd culture in the eyes of pop culture in general.