Is this good or just tasteless propaganda?

Is this good or just tasteless propaganda?

Other urls found in this thread:

esquire.com/news-politics/a26351/man-who-shot-osama-bin-laden-0313/
youtube.com/watch?v=v6cnevh5bPc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Dull propaganda with "thriller elements". Surprisingly and unusually weak performance from Chastain. The assault at the end is well directed.
Watch the first half of Strange Days instead.

>Strange Days

The raid at Osama's crib is the best part of the film and really well executed.

le waterboarding is GOOD movie

Are there any American military sponsored films that are actually good?

It's a decent, but very forgettable movie, imo. Also, it was an oscar bait that lost against Argo, another oscar bait. Love how they ignored The Master that year. I almost tore my teeth out (not really, I was just angry, albeit not a bit surprised).

>shows Americans resulting to inhumane tactics
>the protagonist is a coldhearted bitch who is obsessed with finding and killing a guy who doesn't really matter anymore to the point where she doesn't have anything else in her life
>dude propaganda lmao

Fuck off.

This scene alongside with the raid was kino.

The rest is kinda boring unless you're really into intelligence and counterterrorism stuff a la Homeland, then you'll love it.

Gandolfini as Leon Panetta made me kek

>Top Gun

I think the protagonist symbolized America's own decent into self-destructive obsession. After Osama was killed, and there was no actual improvement, the full futility of her (America's) conflict rang in full, hollow splendor.

esquire.com/news-politics/a26351/man-who-shot-osama-bin-laden-0313/

Obligatory read.

youtube.com/watch?v=v6cnevh5bPc
>3:29
Is she /ourgirl/?
also holy fuck she's huge

lel that stare at the end

I was working in Balochistan at a power plant when this came out. Watched it in a rec room with two dozen locals and half a dozen other expats. Everyone broke in to laughter when Pakistanis started speaking Arabic.

It's just tasteless American propaganda. They were too lazy and too ignorant to even have people speak the correct languages.

Watch it just for the last thirty minutes.
Operator and sound design kino.

Is it propaganda? Yes. Is it a good movie? Also yes. Does it get every little thing exactly right? No.

wtf

In order to get access to military locations and tech it has to be authorized by the military, meaning it has to show the armed forces in a positive light. So pretty much no.

I thought it was excellent. Definitely propaganda, but I thoroughly enjoy rewatching it.

I don't get why everyone gets their tits in a twist over the torture scenes. In my view it didn't really celebrate it, it was more of "yeah, we did that." Plus, how could you not make a movie about the hunt for Bin Laden, and not include it?

The raid at the end is tactical kino, even if they fucked up a few things, according to Robert O'Neill.

I don't watch it as a 100% true account of the hunt, it clearly isn't, and the federal govt is never going to give the full story anyway.

But from what they have told us, with the movie follows that narrative; I think Bigelow gave a solid thriller working with what she had.

The most reddit response.

Explain stuff like Jarhead and Generation Kill then.

The only genuine modern military propaganda movie is Act of Valor and it never pretended otherwise.

70s femanon

I'm talking about shit like fighter jets and aircraft carriers. Anyone can buy up a few humvees and throw up some tents in a desert.

She's a big girl.

Operatorkino

Interesting.

Was Chastain's character based on a real person/people or completely fictional?

I mention Zero Dark Thirty when people ask me what my favorite war movies are. I want to rate it 10/10 ( a score I do not give out easily) I would probably end up giving it an unironic 9.5 if pressed. Because its truly close to being a perfect movie, and I can't think of anything specifically wrong with it. I love the script and they did a good job producing it after meticulous research ( rumor was the FBI wanted to speak with someone involved with the movie, and the FBI blackballed ZD3 even though it was considered a strong contender to win certain Academy Awards that year (if this didnt get the best editing Oscar than that was a huge mistake, it better have gotten it) after it didnt win Best Picture, the investigation on disappeared suddenly.

Anyways, what I think hampers it is that the intense opening waterboarding torture scene that you probably heard about scared a lot of viewers away from it. For instance, my girlfriend and mom refuse to watch it because of that and what to expect after. It can be hard for people with ADHD because the movie has to fit in the entire story of the bin Laden raid and the investigation behind killing him. That script MOVES. No fat on the movie, so if you get too distracted its like youre missing a few pages from the visual novel that it basically is. Also, I was in the Marines they got a hell of a military consultant because everything checks out correctly in the authenticity dept with me. Her other movie, Hurt Locker, wasnt nearly as good and had some goofy stuff going on with the military protocol that made me go "that never happened." It didn't ruin the movie and I can suspend belief enough to sit down and still enjoy it.

I hope you all can tell how high I truly want to rate this movie. It could have been a dry piece of military history/action that could have dragged on forever. The decision to use real world research while using Chastain's fictional character was genius.

I actually know the real-life husband/kids of the chick in this movie who gets blown up after letting her "source" into the base without getting him checked for explosives. Went to highschool with the kids.

According to the US govt, she is based on a real woman, who's name is not actually Maya.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Must be weird seeing your mom get blown up in a movie.
do they collect all the flesh chunks and put those in a casket, or is there only a symbolic burial?

0/10
Propaganda

Well, the SEAL who was in the raid said she's real.

lmao if you're gonna make up a story use the name of a real country instead of bullshit words

For some reason I think they focused on the torture so much to tell people that it's not exactly a USA USA USA movie.

Also, the torture was necessary Maya's initial hesitation and transition to a bloodhound.

oscar bait v oscar bait v oscar bait

good thing the oscar bait won

@83193705
oh shit it's bait

nigger

nah man the oscar bait deserved it more

*the torture as necessary to showcase Maya's initial hesitation and transition to a bloodhound.

Anyway, it's not particularly graphic, grown ass adults should be able to sit through it.

>dude the CIA was kind enough to secretly leak this secret story to us so we can make a movie
Lel. How gullible were the filmmakers or they just didn't give a shit?

Its a place in Pakistan

Probably symbolic if I had to guess.

>65 years old
>no husband
>no kids
What is her endgame?

ZDT wasn't oscarbait, too dirty and the subject matter turns hardcore liberals off.

I don't mean to shit on a dead person dying doing work to keep us safe, but a lot of her co-workers in the Manhunt documentary said she was difficult to work with.

Kinda bossy. Yelled at people to get shit done. She was so excited to get the source, seemingly a victory after a long run of failure, who was a doctor, but was secretly truly radicalized, that she bypassed protocols.

Hopefully to finish her military trilogy.

Probably most females who make it so far in male-dominated fields are bossy and cold in order to compensate.

Anyway, it was a great scene but I always get mad when I watch it. Security should've shut that shit down, how the hell do you allow an unchecked vehicle to drive up to you inside a military base? And why were they all standing so close to the car?

It's hard to say it exactly but I'll try.

- the character was based off a real person whose role in real life was as central as the character we saw in the film
- the film gave this person a different name
- the character participated in events that the real person participated in as well as other real events of other people, the real life person wasn't entirely that cool

A lot of the characters in the movie were a variety of real people mashed into one character with a name change.

She probably has 50 fashion models on speed dial.

>what is american sniper

Nobody wanted to say it, but it was her fault she let the fucker through security without following the protocols. I understand that they portrayed her as a much exceptionally amicable person in the movie but the documentary a lot of the people who worked with her were on the receiving end of her yelling; she caught shit from her bosses/politicians for missing 9/11 and she let the shit roll downhill to her team of analysts. When in reality this team of analysts was warning about Bin Laden and there was a lot of talk-traffic that something big was going to happen they just didn't know what. But her and everyone above her still blamed the analysts anyways. And the analysts just ate shit because everyone blamed them, many quit before they even got Bin Laden, but the whole time they were saying, "we fucking told you and nobody listened to us or stepped up security or anything".

Her haste in letting the guy through was understandable. Consider:
- this was a doctor, how could these fuckers turn a doctor right?
- this doctor was treating upper level Al Queda leadership, had ridiculous access and proved it with pictures
- I think the doctor was educated and came from the UK

At this point nobody could have possibly thought that a fucking doctor could have been radicalized. It's just too unrealistic to think he was suckering them the whole time and using his angle to get at the CIA leadership. But we were proven wrong. The lesson everyone learned that day was that the religious nutjobs can turn ANYBODY of all social strata and backgrounds.

>looks better at 65 than at 25
Absolute madwoman.
Why did she and Jim split up anyway? Is there any info about their relationship?

Jim cheated. This is how all his relationships ended.

>Linda Hamilton claims Cameron never cheated despite Cameron's relationship with his next wife, Suzy Amis, starting 2 years before he divorced Hamilton
Cuckquean in denial.

Depends how bad it is I'd think. Morticians can do some pretty crazy, amazing shit to make badly mutiliated bodies ready for an open casket.

I suppose if it was literally, just meat chunks, it would be more "symbolic"

This. You can't really make a historical movie about the hunt without addressing the torture.

The stuff they showed was just a fraction of what they did at places like Abu Ghraib, and the violence was nothing compared to the slasher/horror films that regularly top the box office.

I think it's just naive sjw's looking for something to complain about.

She didn't put the penis on a pedastal and knows that kids kill your bank account and sanity.

Yes. It is implied we never would have gotten the information out of him without sustained torture. It started with 1 name that led all the way to Bin Laden.

Also, that scene where the guy unlocks the Lamborghini dealership in Dubai and tells the informant that if he gave him a name of a connected terrorist, he could pick out any one he wanted was awesome, and apparently actually did happen even though the US govt won't confirm it.