Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3S6TTHB7Gxo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Johnny Depp

It became 'Jack Sparrow: the movie'

They made the fourth one.

Nothing

>"Pirates of Caribbean"
>The actual pirate who is the most likeable character is just a side character, while the protagonists are the most boring dull shit

They were kinda asking for it

isnt what theyre all about and meant to be in the first place?

i always thought will turner was the secondary character in the first one

Found the plebs. Theres a reason the first movie was actually enjoyable and they turned to shit later on

They made a second one.

Pirates vs East India Trading Company

was never really all that right to begin with

>tfw all the plebs normies in the cast ruined it

Should've been just jack sparrow and his crew going for an adventure

>no elizabeth turner
into the trash it goes

The original was a fun, self-contained adventure movie that featured a quirky character as basically a sidekick. Disney went wrong when they decided to shift the tone and characters entirely. For some reason, Disney decided that the sequels needed to be convoluted epics about pirate conspiracies with Jack Sparrow as the main focus. They tried to go back to something more like the original with the fourth one (which is why I thought it was better than 2 and 3), but it wasn't as good as the first and the series' reputation had already been ruined by that point.

>disney made a successful, original movie
>decided to keep making sequels until they stop turning a profit
really makes you think

it could have been a spectacular and uniquely original stand-alone fantasy thing, but instead it turned out to be a mediocre franchise.

am i banned

doesn't Keira Knightley look like a skeleton now?

she was only good looking in the 1st movie.

They didn't stop after the first one and allow it to be a fantastic stand-alone film.

TWo and Three where pretty shit to be honest.

It should had gone the Indiana Jhones routte, being like a series rather than actual sequels.

What's even the difference?

Gore Verbinski left.

They went too big with immortal undying enemy pirate crew in the first movie and had no interesting way to up the ante past that in any other movie.

Barbossa > Jack

>if at first you don't succeed

>last enjoyable came out in 2007
>its 2017 now
>last enjoyable PotC film came out TEN YEARS AGO

"I am a clever womyn in 2017, your astronomy map is wrong ecks dee I am brilliant, this is my entire personality"

>Gurren Lagann was 10 years ago

Geoffrey Rush did an amazing job with the role. One of my favorite scenes youtube.com/watch?v=3S6TTHB7Gxo

Just came back from watching the new Pirates alone

I'm glad to say that they upheld classic Pirates traditions like the fun Spooky Pirates design, Barbossa carrying the movie, and the romantic duo inability to act to save their lives.

No it wasn-

>it was

n-nani?

not wanting to high jack (no pun intended) but for those interested, there's a spoiler thread going on about the franchise...

not how it's ruined nor why is it great or not... just anons talking about it and about the latest installement

>

> this thread

>>>>>

> 2007
> not 2011

I'll never understand why Stranger Tides gets so much hate, Blackbeard and Barbossa where awesome as fuck in the movie.

Blackbeard was cucked by his daughter and some whiney faget priest and the best character of the movie only appeard at the end to cuck everyone. By all means, Stranger Tides was a routine PotC job without any of the flare and inventiveness of the Verbinski movies.

the Spaniard has the best moment in the series

He's definitely the best part of every one he's in

The first movie was great. Good fighting, good pacing, good high seas action.

The second movie was also pretty good. Davy Jones was a great villain, and I thought he and his crew were even more interesting and more depraved than Barbossa and his lot from the first film. The kraken was pretty bitchin' also.

And then came the third film... it was too convoluted, and the direction they took it was just horrible. The kraken was dispatched off screen, and Davy Jones, who was OBVIOUSLY more interesting than Cutler Beckett, was absolutely NEUTERED as a villain. That in itself was confusing as fuck, given the fact he could teleport through water-coated surfaces, and could completely submerge the Flying Dutchman. Still, there was some really good action at least.

And then On Stranger Tides... what an utterly fucking forgettable film. There were no fun pirate crews. There were no ship battles. The GOOD parts of the past three movies, even if the third one sucked, were COMPLETELY GONE from On Stranger Tides. Blackbeard wasn't a good follow-up to Davy Jones (though I can't fault Ian McShane for trying), and the other pirates were lame. Zombies? Really? Even though we already had undead pirates in the first film, and undead fish pirates in the second/third film... they still tried giving us voodoo zombies? And what the fuck was with that love story between young dude and the mermaid (these weren't really mermaids either, they were sirens)? Did she straight up fucking murder him at the end by drowning him to death? Really, this film just got everything wrong.

Salazar did nothing wrong

>they were sirens

Not really. Sirens are half woman, half bird, which the mermaids in Strainger Tides absolutely aren't. They combined the singing and allure of sirens with the appearance of mermaids and imo created a great PotC monster.

You're thinking of Harpies. Harpies are half-woman, half-bird. Sirens were women of the sea that sang songs to lure sailors to their death.

Disney, Jonny Depp, Pirates, and the Caribbean

>Sirens were believed to combine women and birds in various ways. In early Greek art, Sirens were represented as birds with large women's heads, bird feathers and scaly feet. Later, they were represented as female figures with the legs of birds, with or without wings, playing a variety of musical instruments, especially harps. The tenth-century Byzantine encyclopedia Suda says that from their chests up Sirens had the form of sparrows, below they were women, or, alternatively, that they were little birds with women's faces. Birds were chosen because of their beautiful voices. Later Sirens were sometimes depicted as beautiful women, whose bodies, not only their voices, are seductive.

10/10....enough of this spoopy eternal-anglo bull-shit!

Well, I'll be damned. MY WHOLE LIFE IS A LIE!

It continued

It was by far the best plot, just made silly with the whole focus on combat of huge fleets. A prequel with Jack working for them and quieting the job over "humans aren't cargo, mate", then getting hunted by them would be much better than search for some magic shit.

Outside of the stuff at start her character was pretty fun. They should've made it less about "I am a womyn and everybody oppresses me" and more "I am a genius and nobody understands". It'd still get the feminism message across but wouldn't be so on the nose. Generally, they should've introduced her at the execution scene.

Damn furries, even the old times weren't save from them.

I know teenagers on this board like to over-use the "x did nothing wrong meme" to be edgy but I had a hard time enjoying these movies when the villain (Beckett) literally did absolutely nothing wrong

>the sets after London were fucking dull
>Blackbeard was just some scared old dude with a magic sword
>nothing felt original or new or interesting (sans the Spaniard maybe who didn't get enough screen time)
>the mermaid tears shit was dumb
>the priest and the mermaid (not a bad idea per se but shitty execution)
>cinematography generally felt like unused scenes in a b movie instead of a blockbuster

>shows up
>destroys magic mumbo jumbo
>holds his off-screen with barbossa
>leaves

if thats not a based character then you are lost, op

>Beckett
>literally the most wrong villain in the franchise
>implying

>cucked by his daughter

huh?

He wanted to rid the seas of piracy literally a noble goal

Pirates are a nuisance for honest tradesmen, basically the niggers of the sea

Did you miss the scene where they hanged a kid? The conversation about slavery? The anti monopoly message?

Beckett was by far the worst guy in all the movies and less human than Blackbeard or Davy Jones.

>hanged a kid
nobody's perfect
>slavery
meh who cares
>anti monopoly message
clarify this, was Beckett pro or against monopoly?

>was Beckett pro or against monopoly?
Was a guy with control of the sees pro or against monopoly, I wonder ...

Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio didn't get thier shit together and finish writing themselves third movie before they started filming

Dead Man's Chest presented so much promise for the third movie and they squandered it

I really wished this series would have one more great movie.

One thing I can never get over is in Pirates 3, Jack's father is named "Edward Teague" as a homage to Blackbeard (Edward Teach) and then they introduced actual fucking Blackbeard in the next installment.

I literally do not remember any of the other movies. In fact, I thought there was only three other ones.

No what ARRRRRRRR you doing?

they made 4 more films

COCKSUCKA!

Romance is for normalshits.

So when did it flip over? My main experience is through games. Both sort of do the same thing, sing/lure men to their death and occasionally are aggressive. But sirens are sea based and harpies are land, with the clear animal difference of fish/bird.

I guess the point would be that they never had to up the ante from that. Each movie could've been a separate story. They didn't need to blow it up into the Pirate Order vs East India Company evil mega power mess the 2nd and 3rd were.

2nd movie could've even been about Sparrow getting chased by the Flying Dutchman and 3rd about getting him back from the world's end. All the mess combining those movies together in that grand spectacle mess was unnecessary.

The 4th movie went back to the condensed adventure style and honestly if they follow that I think the series has a future but we'll know once we see how the 5th does.

>imperialistic slaver england
>not a viable target for pillaging

Pirates ain't doing nuffin that the colonials weren't. One just had more pawns at their disposal.

this is absolutely the case
the third movie is one of the longest movies of all time, i swear to god
i could watch all 3 lord of the rings before the end of it

Just watched Dead Men Tell No Tales.

I personally enjoyed it. If you just watch it and have fun with the cool shit going on, you'll be happy.

I want to discuss it more but for some anons' sake I will refrain for fear of spoilers.

>just got out of this movie 10mins ago
>laughed maybe once the entire movie
>some girls even dressed up as pirates
>lots of female only laughter at Depps dumb unfunny and old antics
>entire movie is chocked full of dumb tropes
>people even clapped at the end of the movie
>legit thought clapping at end of movies was just a meme until now

I'd give it a generous 3/10 desu. Depp probably hates himself

I thought it was fun :/

If I had drank before going it would have been a solid 6/10 I think

So what kind of semi recent movie would be your 9/10?

Barbossa, Blackbeard, and Sparrow's dad were true pirates, IMO. Sparrow was mostly keking about as a pirate, Davy Jones was too supernatural, while the rest are just try-hards.

Its better than literally nothing the movie.

Blackbeard got stale once he got out of his ship, best parts is where we was acting like a captain and not a fag who wants eternal life.

Yeah, Spaniard gave no shit. Dude pretty much channels No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Even on his ship, the boat roasting the random faggot was so pointless, "look how evuuuul I am" scene. Besides, most pirates were much more about freedom and he had almost a slaveship. Barbossa is the real deal though.

I've never seen the third or fourth films, are they worth a watch?

she was pure fucking sex in this movie and ill be forever angry she wasnt more lewd or in the next movie

two is good because it has the kraken and based davy jones shitting on people instead of being a little bitch like in 3

you better start believing in ghost stories......YER IN ONE

they both are but the fourth is the worst one

So did that guy become a mermaid?

Depp is getting too old to be doing this kind of shit.

You know Tom Cruise is still doing MI right

>So did that guy become a mermaid?

Nah, dude most likely became a personal dildo.

There were a few funny moments. The action scene when Jack is in the guillotine, the 'horologist', Jack being grossed out by the fat woman. I almost cried when Barbossa died and Will and Elizabeth were reunited

I thought it was pretty good. It's a Disney adventure movie, of course it's full of storytelling tropes. I think they worked, and Karina was a believable female heroine, unlike Elizabeth in At World's End when all these grizzled veteran pirates suddenly treated her like their captain.

They made more than one

should I go see the new Pirates or the new Alien tomorrow?

I'm going no matter what so there's no neither, I enjoyed every PotC movie besides stranger tides but Im still kind of worried

If you didn't want to watch the 3rd after the second, it's unlikely you're enjoy it. 4th is pretty shit even if you love the others.

The arguing at execution and horologist stuff was gold. Though the marriage felt forced as fuck.

>I enjoyed every PotC movie besides stranger tides
Then go for it. It's way better than that. On the emotional impact it was the best IMO but overall the first was better done ... if it makes sense.

>Depp is getting too old to be doing this kind of shit.

jack sparrow is ~58 years old in the newest film

I thought that Dead Men Tell No Tales was the last one though. I mean, they did break all the sea curses, so no more weird magic ghost shit should be going on anymore. Any future movie would basically be devoid of any supernatural elements.

there's more to paranormal activity than curses.

The movies heavily implied that though.
Also they tied up all loose ends.

Hollywood still hasn't learned, from flop after flop, that Johnny Depp is too much of an off-putting weirdo to be in starring roles.

well witches still exist. the bald witch in this film is clearly capable of magic or voodoo of some sort. I doubt she'd just wither and die when the trident was destroyed.

>he doesn't like Depp in all of his lead role

is it me or no? Some of the shots like young turner goign to the surface after talking with his father didn't look good, and the guillitine spinning shots weren't that good. The director for this film wasn't that good, felt like amateur hour.