What does Sup Forums think about stoicism?

What does Sup Forums think about stoicism?

Other urls found in this thread:

iep.utm.edu/epictetu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's the GOAT philosophy.

Words to live by

>What does Sup Forums think about stoicism?

Absolutely based, but highly unpractical.

> stoicism
i have no emotional reaction to it.

The ultimate redpill.

The world would be a better place if we had more stoics

In practice, odays stoics would be glorified edgelords

Best philosophy, but insanely hard to achieve the mindset.

> Pleasure is the enemy of wise man

absolute based

Well done.

lol epictetus wasnt even stoic, you should revise some history lessons

Great, i only read about it yesterday.
It's the SHIT of philosophy

>Take away your opinion, and there is taken away the complaint, [...] Take away the complaint, [...] and the hurt is gone

I've been told I am a stoic at heart given my history and principles, but I try not to think of myself as such for some reason.

kek wot?

Epictetus was completely stoic.

iep.utm.edu/epictetu/

Hey look it's Germany being wrong about everything again

Very valuable phisolophy.

I think it's literally impossible for humans, but even so, it's something we desperately need to strive for.

>iep.utm.edu/epictetu/
LOL, sry thought he meant epicurus, dont know all the english names sry.
Here I am smartassing and making a fool of myself.
In my defense: a lot of people call epicurus wrongly a stoic

Neat in theory, but the philosophy is flawed. Highly pessimistic. Being pessimistic all the time will weighs down the psyche.

It isn't pessimistic at all, you are just retarded. It is merely accepting the nature of your existence.

To the contrary.

It acknowledges that things are out of your control.

"Focus not on what happens, but how you react to it."
It is the best philosophy imo. I have been getting into recently and love it, although it is hard to be completely stoic(Possibly impossible)

Well, Epicurus was kind of the father of Stoicism. Much of the Epicurean philosophy serves as a base for Stoicism. But ye, technically he wasn't.

Cynicism>Stoicism

Diogenes ftw

A good positive philosophy with a moderate message and some built-in conservatism. However, it's ethical and metaphysical components are highly obsolete, so if you plan practicing it beyond a pragmatic sense than you're going to need to start thinking about reform.

Yes and no, Stoicists actually critizized him heavily, so calling him one wouldnt be just "technicly wrong". Only stoic I know who was pro epicur and saw the parallels was seneca.
And afaik epicurus wasnt the father of stoicism?

It's ok, at least you learned something

everytime a friend is in emotional danger or desperate this logic simply cures them.

Modern people ought to be more stoic. Think of the SJW/cry-bully types. They are the complete opposite of stoic. They take no ownership of their own reactions to the world and believe they are completely at the mercy of the offensive stimuli all around them. Instead of changing their own behavior, they want to bully those around them into changing. Honestly, being a adult means accepting a certain degree of stoicism, at least when it comes to your own behavior. There are probably some more esoteric details about stoicism about which I am ignorant. I'm just talking about practical, everyday living.

Cognitive behavioral therapy obviously gets a lot of inspiration from stoicism. If you have a phobia of snakes, you can't change the snake. So you identify that you are the one who fears the snake. You fear the snake and get irrational because of how you react to it. So the therapist helps you learn how to change your thoughts about snakes and practice controlling your reactions. After a while you can deal with your phobia without freaking out every time.

Underrated

Whats some good stoic material, currently going through Meditations.

The Enchiridion of Epictetus

A Guide to the good life: The ancient art of stoic joy

Also Letters From a Stoic by Seneca

Greeks aren't white. Stop using their language.

Source? Can't find it on google.

I dont think it's pessimistic. If anything it's "realistic", based in realism, the "actual"

i consider myself fairly stoic, but it often makes me seem cold/distant whenever something happens that should evoke an emotional reaction. and it's not that i dont feel those emotions, but i dont let them get the best of me

Outdated, but the recent philosophical resurrection of it is neat

Stoic communities evolved into the first communes though, which marx was directly inspired by for his model of communism

Anyway, it doesn't seem likely to catch on in any large numbers

Thanks! I'll give them a read.

This. Fighting reality is the cause of most people's problems. The hard thing to do is to learn to see things as they are, not as we want them to be

Pessimistic thoughts aren't the same as seeing things as they are. pessimists assume bad intentions and outcomes where the conclusions aren't known. It's more honest to admit to yourself reality, that many situations lack enough information to make a judgment

what did he mean by this?

The Cillit Bang of philosophy.

>what did he mean by this?

it's simple. If something makes you upset, learn to realize that you are choosing to get upset

I see, thanks for responding.

My philosophy professor made it pretty easy for me to understand.

>You have your car
>You go to work
>When you come out, you find your car has been keyed

What is your reaction?

Was the act of your car getting keyed inherently bad? Why?

If you get mad, you are choosing to get mad. You can choose to be indfferent.

So, the act of you getting mad, is your fault essentially.

Stoics are strong believers in Fate(Capital F, meaning the entirety of the universe, God, etc.) has a predestined path for us.

It is unavoidable, and we can only control how we react to said path. I hope that clears up some stuff.

It's not really a choice whether you get mad or not. How you act on it is, but anger is a visceral response. It is a question of response not mentality, surely.

What is a good philosophy to follow, if not this?

>Stoics are strong believers in Fate(Capital F, meaning the entirety of the universe, God, etc.) has a predestined path for us.

is that really a tenet of the philosophy? ive always considered things to be undetermined (random, i guess) and then its up to you to react accordingly to things that happen

Initially, sure. But then you can tell yourself "This was destined to happen and there is nothing I could have done to stop it" and then go about your day.

This is very hard to do, and 'm not even sure if it's humanly possible.

A tenet of stoicism, at least. Other philosophies believe other things.

idk man, im not really feeling that part of things. I like to think that nothing is predetermined and existence is a series of random occurrences and it's up to the stoic to traverse this stuff without getting swept up in it

Can anyone explain what stoicism is to a laymen like me?

Sounds kind of like taoism in a way

That is another worldview that exists within Philosophy.

Stoicism is very hard to practice, and even more to understand.

Practical stoicism is top tier though, learning to control yourself, humility, duty, etc.

>That is another worldview that exists within Philosophy.

just the "all events are random, nothing is predetermined" part, or the layering of stoicism on top. I would like to know what it is then because i consider myself a fairly stoic person but i can't get behind the "all events are predetermined" thing