The Great X-Men Storytime - Vol. 3: New Mutants (Part 16)

What can I say about this story that hasn't been said before?

PREVIOUSLY ON X-MEN:

I am going to bed right now (00:07 in my country), but thanks anyway OP! I will re read it in the morning

Oh, I know! It's one of those rare TPBs Marvel can sell, much like Weapon X. DC has had a lot more success in that area.

Oh yeah, sorry for the late storytime, I've just been very busy this week.

The mental landscape scenes for Charles in the later part are amazing. Just beautiful, classic work.

Sorry, my roommate was being annoying AS USUAL.
Where were we? Oh yeah, Kitty can call someone a nigger cause she's Jewish.

For sure, some pretty great 80's colors there.

But for reals tho, why IS captcha so obsessed with French streets
Just give me some numbers to type down you twats

Aww yeah. Anti-villain Magneto is here.

Lol I was loving the story up to this point but his revenge story is too stupid.

I wonder if you'd like the Bendis version better. Probably not

>Ariel
Man that was a terrible name for Kitty. Terrible outfit too.

They ran out of English streets?

I guess?

Yesss die bitch

Why does that one cholo have Hadji's turban?

That's all for today, tomorrow: Wolvie goes solo!

>sane Marvel civilian
This is one crazy story.

Claremont's best X story imo

Thanks OP good read

Hey thanks again, keep up the good work

still a few threads behind but just popping in to bump and say stay based, X-user

Yeah, we gotta give X-user the respect for all this, but you also gotta admit that there's no damned reason to list all those dead links except to brag about past good deeds.

What an opening. Imagine reading this in 1982, you know that they aren't fucking around

They still redirect to desustorage, man.

Kind of makes me wonder how much better this would have been received if Neal Adams had stayed on as the artist.

He had actually finished penciling the first few pages (see pic), but then he got into a dispute with editor-in-chief Jim Shooter over something and quit the assignment (it would be years before he did any work for Marvel again).

woulda been much better gotta be honest

Yeah, I think Brent Anderson is a fine artist, but I always felt like he was an odd fit for a superhero comic. Would have preferred Adams myself, or heck, how about, say, John Buscema or even Tony DeZuniga (I think he was under contract at Marvel at around the time God Loves, Man Kills was in production). That would have been insanely good, if the Shanna the She-Devil stuff DeZuniga was putting out around the time is anything to go by.

>The means are as important as the end--we have to do this right or not at all.

I miss this Scott.

anons bump, janitors kill

If that was true the good conversation threads wouldn't be archived and we wouldn't have constant brand new CapAmerica hate threads every hour.

I've honestly never read this before.
This was great, maybe the best X-Men story I've read.

X-user!

How is Wrongclops so different from "ThisScott"?
He wasn't going around killing everyone, just one particular individual during a particularly Phoenixey moment who had done many bad things in past Great X-Men Storytime threads and perhaps deserved a little death-timeout.
All-in-all, I think it was a pretty measured application of cosmic power.

I really like the depiction of Magneto in this, he looks like Gandalf and doesn't sound Morrison-crazy at all.

This

He gave up on the dream and played russian roulette with the fate of the entire planet. Cause hey, better we all get cooked than he has to live his life outnumbered by flatscans.

I thought Xavier being a mutant wasn't public knowledge for years after this.

I still get a laugh out of Nightcrawler just standing there lamely.

You know, as long as I've read X-Men stuff I've never read God Loves, Man Kills before or even a lot of the Claremont stuff. New Mutants has been great so far and I'm kind of surprised by how much darker it is than the main book. The issue from the last storytime with the abused kid is kind of fucked up and I think NM is the book where Kitty has to deal with her friend killing himself.

"God Loves, Man Kills" was supposed to be an out-of-continuity, Elseworlds-style standalone graphic novel. At some point, though, elements from the book started seeping into the main Uncanny X-Men comic (Stryker, for instance). I don't know if this was something Claremont intended to do or if he was pressured by editorial to do so because of the book's success.

Glad to see some younger(?) X-Men fans getting into the classic Claremont stuff. I don't think we'll ever any single person have such a far-reaching and lasting legacy on a work-for-hire superhero comic ever again, given how the mainstream superhero comics industry works these days (regular reboots, relatively short creator tenure, etc.).

If I were to recommend the "essential" Claremont X-Men, it would be Uncanny X-Men #94 to #200, the God Loves, Man Kills graphic novel (even though it exists in its own, separate continuity), and the first 34 issues or so of New Mutants. Uncanny X-Men #200 is probably where Claremont's original, long-range plan for the title got cut off, and since it resolves a major plotline, it's a good jumping-off point for readers who don't want to commit to further exploration of Claremont's later X-writing.

A lot of the stuff that came after editorial's introduction of X-Factor (Claremont never wanted the original X-Men to re-form, he always firmly believed that they should have been allowed to "graduate" from being superheroes) in early 1986 was just Claremont adjusting to the curveballs editorial/marketing were throwing at him and making the most out of it.

That said, there's still a lot of good stuff from issue #200 until Claremont's departure from the X-titles in late 1991 (and he worked with a number of great artists during this period). Just keep in mind that he had less control of the story by that point, which likely explains the somewhat scatterbrained and disjointed plotting and occasionally contradictory characterizations.

woot best way to start the day is with dead kids strung up like pinyatas!

How long until Illyana starts using her David Niven's stepping disks in front of the others?

Jesus, killing the wife too was a bit much.