Marvel Insider: Nick Spencer Fucked Up Good Edition

For anyone who cares, it should be stated now, but Nick Spencer has committed career suicide.

Disney is pretty much angry as hell that Marvel published the "Captain America is always a Hydra Agent" story. The story was done without their knowledge and the backlash and it's implications, have already bore fruit that will make it not last if not outright retconned.

Brevoort is currently trying to white night Nick Spencer (who has threatened to go to DC if he's not allowed to make Captain America his personal SJW soap box) to Disney for the sake of keeping him out of DC's hands. But internally, it's gotten to the point that most expect Spence to be gone from the company, if not outright blacklisted from Marvel, by the end of the year.

Part of the reason is Chris Evans, who has not been thrilled with the reveal and in the last couple of days, been giving Disney an earful about how dare they do something like that to the character. Evans has a love-hate relationship with the Captain America character: he took the role solely because Disney offered to get him work as a director after his initial contract expired, but the overwhelming fan response, especially amongst kids, has caused Evans to extend his run with the character and generally speaking, be a bit protective of the role (to the point that the bit in Avengers 2 where he chides Tony Stark for cursing was a reference to Evans' desire to preserve the kid friendly image of the Avengers to young fans).

This sounds like bullshit.

I'd rather he stay away from DC. They're just starting to not suck again. They don't need this sjw hack ruining their company.

Bullshit, Marvel loves doing controversial bullshit

It does. Except for the last part about Chris Evans, it's really endearing.

>who has threatened to go to DC if

Here's where OP fucked up. Spencer's been throwing shade at DC for months

That's all false, what's true is that you need to work on your spelling.

You know, OP, if you actually did your research, you'd know Spencer fucking hates DC for cancelling his Supergirl and Young Justice. Why the fuck would he ever go back to them when he could just stick with creator-owned books?

>there are people on Sup Forums right now who are going to believe this shit

>that will make it not last if not outright retconned
I am 100% certain he went into this story with the intention that it was not going to be a permanent lasting change

has anybody on the whole fucking internet never read serial superhero comics fiction before? christ

Nah, it's easy bait, nobody will fall for it.

On to page 10!

This. Anyone who's seriously reacting to this hasn't paid much attention to Marvel for the last decade.

The worst part about it is when this story concludes and Steve is made un-HYDRA, people are going to think their complaining and hashtags actually had some matter in the story's resolution.

>No link
>No source
>No evidence
Eat shit and die

>>Continued
This entire debacle has been a culmination of sorts to problems people have had towards Spencer and his Captain America run internally at Marvel. His recent Serpent Society run, which had some rather negative comments made about Diamondback, drew criticism from Mark Gruenwald's widow that never made public. It's one of the reasons why Rachel was given a last minute redemption arc as the plan was in the beginning to have her carted off to jail with the rest of the group. The story was leaked to Catherine Gruenwald, who then called Tom Brevoort up and gave him an earful, accusing him of letting Spencer shit on her husband and his work on the title.

Jack Flagg is dead (though for different reasons; he's dead because he was closely associated with the DnA Guardians and Marvel was tired of people asking where he was, so Spencer offered to kill him off).

Still, this has had some major consequences with Marvel and Spencer, who's made it repeatedly clear that if he is not allowed to use his book as a soap box, he will go to DC.

Brevoort wants to keep him happy but at the same time, knows that Spencer is a time bomb that has finally gone off. Marvel tacitly knows that the country is moving away from SJW types but has to keep a select number of SJW kool aid drinking big named writers happy. Hence why Jane Foster is still Thor and why Falcon still gets the main Captain America book and why Marvel has flat out threatened to blacklist ANY writer from ever working at Marvel again if they say anything negative about Bendis making Iceman gay.

That said, the upcoming Americop arc has undergone some major rewrites because Spencer went too far even for the permissive Brevoort. The original story planned was obscenely anti-police and had to be toned down and even now, there is pressure to make more changes to neuter it.

Spencer doesn't like this at all but was letting it happen in exchange for being allowed to retcon Steve Rogers into being a Nazi/Hydra member.

Bullshit, they've been doing this for years.

>fucking up Cap instead of continuing Bedlam

You had one job, Nick Spencer

>Spencer
>SJW
This word has officially lost all meaning. I know too much time on Sup Forums has convinced you otherwise, but being a democrat doesn't instantly make you an SJW. Nearly half the country isn't made up of SJWs. The term loses all meaning when you start using it to describe literally anyone whose beliefs you don't agree with or you assume you don't agree with despite not actually knowing them.

Says the SJW.

>he thinks Disney gives a shit about the comics

They just wanted the characters

Currently there plan is to rush the story to an end by this fall/use the mind control angle to explain it away, though Brevoort and Spencer want to drag it out further. However, internally, many have pointed out to the damage that Superior Spider-Man did to that brand to try and stop it.

But the biggest push to abort the storyline as soon as possible, is coming from Disney itself. Disney has spent the last two days desperately trying to calm Evans down and keep him from making a formal denouncement of it (same with Stan Lee, who told Brevoort not to do it when Brevoort told him about the plan a week ago).

Expect this to go away sooner than later; Brevoort will fight for it hard to stay but if push came to shove, Brevoort will sacrifice Spencer to save his own ass.

Go to bed, Gabby. Your golem is dead.

>>Continued
No one else, not even Brevoort, knows this, but Spencer has also joined up with several other people at Marvel, including Al Ewing and Gerry Duggan, in a group led by Kevin Feige. They plan to launch a coup to take control of Marvel from Ike Perlmutter; exactly a week from today, Feige and his supporters will barge into the Marvel offices and gun down Perlmutter and his allies in cold blood. Spencer will then be able to make Cap a Nazi in peace.

The claim will be made that this was the act of terrorists, but there are those who will know the truth...

Spencer was secretly approached by DC in the build-up for DC Rebirth. He was offered several high profile books (Suicide Squad, Legion of the Super-Heroes, and a Batman villains title, with a pledge that he would be granted access to basically all of the A-List villains, including Joker) but turned them down when Marvel agreed to let him keep Falcon as Captain America/let him pitch his Hydra Cap storyline.

Fake Marvel Insider, your writing style is terrible. Nothing you write ever sounds remotely believable no matter how many times you try this crap.

You're entire story is fake as fuck.

>damada that Superior Spider-Man did to that brand

Superior Spider-Man brought in 20k to 30k new readers as confirmed by Slott TODAY you fucking moron.

Hail Hydra

Is this same dumbass who once tried to claim Adam Warlock was Rabum Alal?

I'll take 'shit that didn't happen' for 500 alex.

How soon until Bleedingcool article based on this thread?

hi Rich

Daily Double

>The story was done without their knowledge and the backlash and it's implications, have already bore fruit that will make it not last if not outright retconned.
It was never going to last, and this sounds like bullshit.

is this from that comic news parody site?

yeah and Slott continues his writing style of 'take idea that's good for 2-6 issues and then drag it out till everyone is sick of hearing of it." SSM brought in new readers but Slott is losing them pretty steadily by being predictable and just plain inept.

It's doubly bullshit because disney doesn't manage Marvel or their Star Wars licenses. They have entire divisions for that shit and they leave that to the people in charge of those. They won't give a fuck unless either of those groups somehow loses their market share in a weird drastic move.

Why does anyone care? It's a standard comic book fake-out cliffhanger, it will go back to normal next issue.

>SSM brought in new readers but Slott is losing them pretty steadily by being predictable and just plain inept.
I agree cuz this is spot on for me. Then Spider-verse happened and I tapped out. Still mad they killed mahvel vs capcum spidey

Depends on how much traffic his Captain America is a Nazi articles are getting and him being desperate for more hits

Given that Rich has run a near 10 year embargo on any story critical of Brand New Day, I can see him possibly embargoing Nazi Cap stories as a favor to Marvel to try and silence criticism

>Criticize DC for dark edgy grimdark issues.
>Writes a comic that has an edgy reveal.
>Now pisses off comic critics because they said that they can't review a comic until the full story is out.

I fucking love this.

also that, depending on fan rage too much. Spiderverse was a 'clever' subversion of celebratory extravaganza's that revel in a character's long history.

By trying to piss off long term spidey fans by killing increasingly obscure spidermen off.

with steampunk vampires.

What the fuck happened to quality control?

Hi. No article from my good self. Yet. I have my own sources. Cheers.

>Spiderverse was a 'clever' subversion of celebratory extravaganza's that revel in a character's long history.
YEAH JAPANESE SUPAIDAHMAN!
>By trying to piss off long term spidey fans by killing increasingly obscure spidermen off.
His mecha got fucking on shotted by his OC? Silk, slotts waifu, is the key?HE KILLED KAINE? FUCK YOU SLOTT

rich'd sign his name. but he did call it, this totally eclipsed rebirth

My name is implicitly mentioned above, thus I flet no need.
Cheers
Rich.

>have already bore fruit that will make it not last if not outright retconned.
No shit

what was even up with that? I wouldn't have been angry about Leopardon losing, it's a giant robot, rip it's arms. Have a tense scene where Supaidaman pilots an increasingly torn up giant robo etc etc.

but no Slott's steampunk vampires one shot it. Why would you consider this good writing?

To be fair, Spiderverse was one of the rare examples of Marvel telling Slott "NO!!!!"

The story was originally supposed to run in Superior Spider-man around #20-26 and have Otto as the main Spidey and the "humor" of NONE of the alt earth Spideys knowing that Otto had killed the Prime Earth Spidey and stolen his body and basically constantly bragging about how he "defeated" Morlan in the past.

By this point, fans were so fucking pissed at Marvel for Superior Spider-Man, that Brevoort basically told Slot "We will not let you do this story unless the real Peter Parker is the star" and wouldn't budge one bit whasoever on it.

Yeah I heard about that. He got vetoed and we got Superior Venom arc instead.

Even so Slott churlishly shat all over the non Otto spidermen a whole lot and made Peter look like a tool in more than a few places. If he wanted Spock to have any longevity as a character he fucked up. Everyone is sick of Spock and that storyline is gonna be tainted for quite some time.

A point of clarification. Does Spenser get into fights with retards constantly, try to get conservative writers and artist fired, or anything like that? Because if he's just got opinions like the leftist equivalent of the westborough baptist church, but isn't geting in to retard slapfights, then he's just an ultraliberal, and not an actual SJW, I think.

Ha, you think the term SJW has meaning..

Ha!

so much made up shit in this thread. What makes you guys thing Nick Spencer is an importent writer to Marvel and DC? I also doubt Disney cares about anything Marvel comics publishes

>Marvel has flat out threatened to blacklist ANY writer from ever working at Marvel again if they say anything negative about Bendis making Iceman gay.
Who's doing that?

Maybe I'm off my hinges, but I believe ya.

>who has threatened to go to DC
At least know what you're talking about when you spout this bullshit.

The one thing that is keeping me from crying bullshit is that I know how protective Disney is when it comes to their brands. Remember this is the company that is almost solely responsible for the infinity+1 years of copyright laws we have today.
Disney is operating on a much larger level than Marvel, and now that they've seen the value in the brand and characters, its very likely that some suits might start getting ancy when Marvel does its usual fan-antagonizing antics.

>Does Spenser get into fights with retards constantly
Yes

>try to get conservative writers and artist fired, or anything like that?
No

>Because if he's just got opinions like the leftist equivalent of the westborough baptist church, but isn't geting in to retard slapfights, then he's just an ultraliberal, and not an actual SJW, I think.

Eh I wouldn't call him an ultraliberal either since he is often shitting on Bernie Sanders and his supporters and has expressed a dislike against people who hold extreme leftists views.

He's a former politician, a Democrat, and a Hillary supporter so he is a leftist at least.

Normies not just us autists are making fun of it after just a day. It's that much of a fuck up. Yeah Spencer is boned.

At least wait for that thread to 404 before you post it elsewhere

The guy who wrote the Astonishing X-Men story where Iceman opines about all the women he's fucked over the years recently gave a very stilled, gun at the back of his head style "I wrote the story totally 100% with the eye towards Bobby being a closet case" response, that made people ask out loud if Marvel is threatening people who wrote Iceman in the past, to prevent them from criticizing the "Iceman is gay" storyline.

I'm sure DC would love to get Spencer back. And even if Spencer would never actually go back to them, I'm sure he would use the threat to force Marvel to let him have freedom from editors by threatening to bail

>He's a former politician, a Democrat, and a Hillary supporter
So he's center-right then...

In the US, that's far left

It's solidly centerist. Only batshit crazy Freepers think a Hilary supporting Democrat is far left.

Deeper marvel insider here.

We told OP these lies as a joke.

We know Marvel loves doing it, but I'd believe this is the first time Disney or the movie side of Marvel have noticed.
And that they didn't like it.

Hilary is not centrist. Not even by a long shot. She supports all of Obama's policies.

While more wordy Deadpool's appropriate line would be admitting he was never Wade Wilson or that his healing factor never had an effect on his psychology and he pretended to struggle with instability because it temporarily amused him to watch people deal with that.

Also to avoid Pete repeating Bruce's line for Ben, I think he could say
>I knew Gwen slept with Osborn. I knew the fall would kill her

>Autism the post

>to the point that the bit in Avengers 2 where he chides Tony Stark for cursing was a reference to Evans' desire to preserve the kid friendly image of the Avengers to young fans
wew lad

>She supports all of Obama's policies.
Which are centrist, only the right wings thinks they are leftist.

Stream that film if you're so great

>mfw I'm a New Deal Democrat and Hillarists calls me a hippie commie

>Hilary is not centrist. Not even by a long shot. She supports all of Obama's policies.
>a != b; a = b

The fuck?

>She supports all of Obama's policies.

Who is a solid centerist or very slightly center left in the real world.

OP is full of shit, but I do want to encourage people to give him a chance. People went nuts over rwo fucking words, which was the point, but all the talk about dropping Cap for this and all that is ridiculous. Let the man explain what's going on first. Even though this "shocking twist that'll change everything for-EVEEEER!" doesn't make sense as much as it should when pulling a number like this, I'm still interested to hear what Cap's up to and what made him jump ship.. or, well, sailing on that other ship all along.

It's a gimmick. Of course it is, but so is everything else in comics. At least this is something actually new.

This, Obama is only a Leftist in today's GOP Looney Bin Reality.

Another expert evaluation for the archives.

Only the retards on the right think Obama let alone Hilary for that matter isn't centerist, given how he defeated them resoundly in two elections. The smarter cons know how boned their party is.

None of this seems plausible given that we know how Marvel operates. They love this kind of shit.

Ward acknowledging the new Hydra member.

If he's center left and going full Godwin's law on mainstream republicans, which I'm not familiar enough with the dude's actual views to say, then I'd still consider him to be an extremist.

Not that I think it matters that much. I am perfectly fine with a super leftist writer. But it doesn't look good for diversity if your entire range is ultra left to centrist.

I'm amazed at how many people are completely losing their shit over this.

No the point of OP's post is DISNEY are pissed because Marvel editorial specifically Brevoort who you have quoted went ahead and made a major change to a corporate tentpole character without oking it with them. One that has attracted negative press including accusations of anti-semitism which are basically a modern black balling in the entertainment industry. Learn 2 reading comprehension senpai.

>None of this seems plausible
Well no shit. OP is just making shit up and we're taking this thread in a different direction because fuck him.

What's everyone's favorite summer drink?

Which is more bullshit: Doom being revealed as altruistic by a god that could see inside his soul or Cap being Hydra?

the Former, the latter can at least be explained away with brainwashing.

Oh come on, when was the last time Cap was brainwashed?

can't think of it but Wolvie was brainwashed so many times it's become a running joke. Falcon had a storyline everyone tries to forget where he's a villain plant. It's much easier to ignore.

Spencer's as SJW as it gets. He hates Bernie for being a white male for fuck's sake.

Does he? Like, has he actually said so?

Because they fucked him over hard on Supergirl, but at the same time were pretty supportive of his T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents.

>can't think of it
There was an episode of Spider-man and his Amazing Friends IIRC.

Lee Kirby had him brainwashed and supporting Hitler.

When was the last time he had his powers/youth restored with cube magic?

It's not brainwashing, it's the cosmic cube

Even if OP is making this shit up, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney and Chris Evans weren't actually pissed about this. The comic side of this might be fellating themselves over how controversial it is to sell more comics, but the Disney brand that relies on Cap as one of its most popular characters now can't be too happy with the backlash.

The Super Soldier mini?

Although the whole powers/youth restoration thing pisses me off in how stupid it is. The serum just made him peak human. If you took it away, all it would mean is he'd have to work at maintaining it, not suddenly drop to frail old man

Nah, it's psychic fucker.

It's not the cosmic cube it's a shit story with the tired "Everything you know is wrong!" trope that was dated by the late 80s let alone now.

It IS Disney. If they sell even one fewer toy because of this backlash (which is retarded but that's it's own issue), heads are fucking rolling at Marvel

Yes, he's made clear his unhappiness with them on twitter.

It's literally the cosmic cube, have you read Spencer's run?