This has been bothering me for a while. Why is this place a country? It doesn't make any sense to me

This has been bothering me for a while. Why is this place a country? It doesn't make any sense to me.

What accidents of history created this as an independent country and how many accidents left it intact for so long? Why does it have nearly perfectly rectangular borders?

Did you guys ever hear about Portugal before? It's right next, or inside to Spain and the Atlantic Ocean, like some drunk British guy with a ruler just drew it on there as a joke and everyone's just been laughing about it for like hundreds of years.

WE are independent because ancient Luso-egyptian king Afonso Henriques was tired of proud BLACK portuguese people having to share their land with wh*Te C*stillians and expelled them.
The wh*Te C*stillians have tried to conquer us many times, breading like rats and G*rmans, outnumbering us 1 to 1000, and obviously got slaughtered in every war thanks to our superior BLACK genes and support from THE ANGLO

Portugal is a perfect example on why the Iberian Peninsula shouldn't be balkanized

National unity conformed by ethnic Portuguese.
Unlike...

they exist just because anglos want them to exist

wtf, I'm a KARA BOĞA, delete this right now.

Shut the fuck up crackoid C*stillian, even our slave wh*Toid women can kill you 3v1

I was worrying that this was my idiot countryman who always makes the "why does country X exist?" threads. You're still an idiot and I'm still saging, but I'm glad it's not him.

L*soid traitor I'll have you know that I'm 1/4th hispanian and 1/32 visigothic and You belong to the hispanian kingdom.

I was doing my best American poster impersonation, tbqh.

>Any V*Sigothic percentage at all
Ya'll honkeys will always be inferior to us BLACK SUEBI BULLS

why is this so weird for you ?
For me it's just like a southern Netherlands

the legend is 8v1, actually

We exist out of spite.

The other way around. They are the perfect example on why this abomination called Spain should die.

Why?

We were both doing great until we got the same king, and then it went to the shitter for the both of us.

It's shape is a reflection of the Reconquista.
The original kingdoms of the Iberian Peninsula were only allowed to conquer south into muslim lands according to the Pope, for legitimacy in the eyes of other European Christian kingdoms.
All kingdoms of the Iberian Peninsula were to be therefore "rectangular", with the exception of Aragon, which ended up triangular.
Galicia was supposed to come with us, they didn't, so I guess that's what makes it strange.
What accidents left it intact, only those wanting its demise could say.

>Galicia was supposed to come with us, they didn't,
other way around

We had galicia for like a decade under ferdinand I

3 months

What the difference between portugese and spanish people?

The Portuguese like their own country, I guess.

Portuguese -> quiet, stern and headstrong fishermen
Spanish -> fiesta desert plateau people